Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Killinator wrote: »
    Did you find the plastidip chipped very easily or did you seal it somehow?

Not at all. It's like a rubber coating, but it doesn't quite look like one unless you touch it, then you feel it's not exactly hardened to the touch.

The main thing to ensure with plastidip is that you apply it correctly. People that tend to give out about it either don't prep correctly or they apply it in the wrong way. That's when you'll have issues, otherwise it'll be as good as when you have put it on, until you take it off and that includes using wheel cleaner, snow foam and the power hose on it, which i did regularly enough.

i'd go as far to say it would actually help protect against stone chips etc... as none of the wheels I had it on had any marks on them at all and it was on there for nearly two years. The only reason it came off was because i hit a pothole and it lifted off one of the wheels at the impact zone. Also changing tyres will probably lift it as well, so it's best to do it just after you get fresh rubber to get the longest out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

dar83 wrote: »
    Not at all. It's like a rubber coating, but it doesn't quite look like one unless you touch it, then you feel it's not exactly hardened to the touch.

The main thing to ensure with plastidip is that you apply it correctly. People that tend to give out about it either don't prep correctly or they apply it in the wrong way. That's when you'll have issues, otherwise it'll be as good as when you have put it on, until you take it off and that includes using wheel cleaner, snow foam and the power hose on it, which i did regularly enough.

i'd go as far to say it would actually help protect against stone chips etc... as none of the wheels I had it on had any marks on them at all and it was on there for nearly two years. The only reason it came off was because i hit a pothole and it lifted off one of the wheels at the impact zone. Also changing tyres will probably lift it as well, so it's best to do it just after you get fresh rubber to get the longest out of it.

Ah yeah I used it before when I had the GTI in Gulf orange and blue.
    My brother had it on his A6 as he wanted a black grille surround but found it chipped too much.
    Though he may have used a plastidip alternative and not plastdip itself

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

JoeA3 wrote: »
    SaintsYB wrote: »

As for locking nuts... any thief worth his salt won't be deterred by those. They can be drilled out easily enough. I've also seen cases where they break into the car in order to get the unlocking bolt from the boot - so it might be an idea to hide that somewhere else. Of course, the alarm is standard on an R and it should trigger if a window is broken or the car is lifted off the ground.

Just bumping this previous chat. Finally got a golf. It has 18” Jurvas. Wondering if anyone has any security tips for protecting the wheels of how common that theft is? Friend had a lucky escape in his Audi recently. Drove on motorway without realising only the locked nut was left on one of the wheels of his car. Saw the warning light. Wheel sheared off after he pulled into a petrol station.

The VW dealer told me unprompted while he was running through the car to hide the unlocking bolt in the glove compartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have seen a few examples of wheels stolen from Golfs in the last few years, every time the car has lock nuts, the car has been ransacked to get to the lock nut key.

Smash the rear screen, rip out the parcel shelf, boot contents and carpet etc to get to the key, the proceed to steal the wheels is the general path they take with Golfs, it's obviously now common knowledge with the scum.

For this reason, I think i'd give the locking wheel nuts a miss, full stop. If they've rocked up to steal your wheels, then find you have lock nuts, they are going to wreck the rest of the car for the key anyway.

I'd rather find the car, intact just sitting on blocks than find it sitting on blocks with a couple of smashed windows and my belongings all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago. They smashed the rear screen but also took the rear light clusters while they were at it. Scum.

Lock nuts are pain and I’ve personally never heard of anyone have or have an attempted even on stealing their wheels.

I got them removed of our most recently purchased car and just put on normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

A theory I believe in, which applies for having your car stolen as well, is that there is no single measure which will stop a thief for stealing something, instead the idea is to make it as unattractive as possible to them, so locknuts, parking your car up your driveway out of site, in view of a camera on your house, alarm with sensors if car is jacked up etc etc

Nothing on its own will stop a thief but they might say hey why go after this when there’s a car on the next street with no locknuts parked in a dark corner

Just a thought

Does anyone have any recent experience in how long a delivery time to expect from car landing in Dublin to being at the dealership? Car is finally on the boat after a long 6 months

Fletch how long did your polo take?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recent experience in how long a delivery time to expect from car landing in Dublin to being at the dealership? Car is finally on the boat after a long 6 months

Thanks

About a week but depending on timing could be as little as a few days.

If i lands Monday/Tuesday theres a good chance you'll be able to pick it up that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not wanting to hijack the thread but have the WLTP issues that impacted lead times so badly for VW/Audi been fully addressed by now?

Comhra wrote: »
    Not wanting to hijack the thread but have the WLTP issues that impacted lead times so badly for VW/Audi been fully addressed by now?

From my understanding the issues themselves have been resolved but the delays have caused a backlog which hasn’t been cleared yet, if your looking for a 201 reg you’d probably need to order now to have it in time for January

The mk8 should be going into production soon (unless it’s been pushed back) which will put more pressure on the factory again

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

Thanks

Out of interest, what was your build week/date?
    My car is being built this week apparently, so trying to get a rough idea of when it'll be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm not sure tbh. I only found out my car was in the country after I called the dealer and he checked and said it was ready for dispatch and after that it was a few working days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hey folks

Bought my gtd in early april

But yet to receive my logbook on it

Should it take this long ? Was bought off a garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's a bit long alright. You should get it within 2 weeks. Did you contact the garage at all?

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    It's a bit long alright. You should get it within 2 weeks. Did you contact the garage at all?

Yeah

He hasnt answered my call yet , only rang him today

Is there a number i can ring and tell them im the new owner and they will then contact him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Put your reg in here and it will tell you if there has been any change of ownership in the last 3 months, if not then Shannon won't have received the book yet.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Put your reg in here and it will tell you if there has been any change of ownership in the last 3 months, if not then Shannon won't have received the book yet.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do

Checked it

Not changed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ring shannon tomorrow. They will be able to tell you if it came in in the last few days but they just didn't process it yet.

Stay away from tesco for diesel

Usually go in when at 0km left in tank and put €50 and it goes up to 450km in tank

Today went in with 40km in tank and put €50 and its only at 440km now

Im no rocket scientest but thats a big diff

Usually go to cirkle k , this was first time in tesco in new car

First world issues i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bet the dealer never got the logbook with the car from the previous owner and now hopes it's your problem to sort out.

That range calculation is based on your previous driving style. The car doesn't know the brand or quality of fuel going into it.

Stop hooning around Tescos car park before filling up may be more helpful.

On my Golf after i fill the tank i usually get a range indication somewhere around 880-900kms, i can drive to work and back twice (70kms each way) and 2 days later it'll say range of 1150 or so kms, after the motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

Stay away from tesco for diesel

Usually go in when at 0km left in tank and put €50 and it goes up to 450km in tank

Today went in with 40km in tank and put €50 and its only at 440km now

Im no rocket scientest but thats a big diff

Usually go to cirkle k , this was first time in tesco in new car

First world issues i know

If you're worried about it, start tracking your consumption on Fuelly. It's very likely you just have had more city driving lately, so worse MPG in your last tank, so it revises its range estimate down.

That range calculation is based on your previous driving style. The car doesn't know the brand or quality of fuel going into it.

Stop hooning around Tescos car park before filling up may be more helpful.

On my Golf after i fill the tank i usually get a range indication somewhere around 880-900kms, i can drive to work and back twice (70kms each way) and 2 days later it'll say range of 1150 or so kms, after the motorway driving.

Obviously if i drive like a 90 year old the average usage stretches out alot , but initially when you fill the tank it will say how 460km for me anyway , its been the same for 5 fills now from same filling station , first time in tesco with 40km left in tank and only goes to 440 , that would suggest if it was empty id only get 400km , rather than 450 i normally get

kevodaly wrote: »
    Out of interest, what was your build week/date?
    My car is being built this week apparently, so trying to get a rough idea of when it'll be here.

I’m actually not sure of an exact week, was originally told I’d be collecting it end of January start of feb, that came and went and was told end of April start of May, I think it was finally built in week 17, is on the ship now which is 2 days and after that it seems to be anyone’s guess/depends how busy transporter are.

Obviously if i drive like a 90 year old the average usage stretches out alot , but initially when you fill the tank it will say how 460km for me anyway , its been the same for 5 fills now from same filling station , first time in tesco with 40km left in tank and only goes to 440 , that would suggest if it was empty id only get 400km , rather than 450 i normally get

That's a totally inaccurate way to measure anything unfortunately.

The predicted range is heavily dependent on your most recent driving. It is often the same as your driving is probably similar but it can vary wildly if you have had different driving between fills.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Hey folks

Bought my gtd in early april

But yet to receive my logbook on it

Should it take this long ? Was bought off a garage

I bought my car off a main dealer and it took probably a month to get mine. After many calls to the dealer about it not arriving in the post, they agreed to get me a new one.

Kick up a fuss about it. If they sent it, it's not your fault that it didn't arrive.

Few additions to tidy up the boot
    20190515-200855.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

fletch wrote: »
    Few additions to tidy up the boot

Is the floor of the boot adustable? (if that makes sense). Can you lower or raise it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Read today that the mark 8 golf launch has been put back to early 2020 so probably no gti/r models here until 2021?

Is the floor of the boot adustable? (if that makes sense). Can you lower or raise it?
    yes and no. It's odd it can be adjusted but the spare (spacesaver) blocks it so it can't be. I must have a play around as there seems to be a lot of foam under the wheel that may be able to be removed. The boot is quite shallow as is

Mk8 interior photos out in the wild now:

02_33.jpg?itok=rrk6dpiK

Initial thought would be that I'd hope the final production version would have the virtual dash screen and infotainment screen more flush with each other like what Mercedes do rather than just looking like something that was added afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hideous, if you'd asked me ahead of time what that was, I'd have guessed a 2020 remake of the Peugeot Partner van.

It's definitely a bad angle, but eesh, doesn't look great. Quite tacky and cheap. Kia/Hyundai-esque

I'm not liking the look of those big, shiny black plastic bezels around the screens.

OSI wrote: »
    It’s still very much a test mule, you can see the camo stripes on the windscreen, those screen are likely just in placeholders to verify stuff works and are easily removable/replaceable rather than being a finalised design.

Hopefully! The one thing I'm not a fan of in the 7.5 is the very fingerprintey screen surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One thing I feel strongly about with the MK7.5 is the flush infotainment. I'm not a fan of the stick out iPad screens on most cars these days. I'd like to think VW know this too, no reason the passenger side dash can't be flush.

But we'll see what happens at launch...

On an unrelated note I learned there was a 2.5L MK6 in America!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It looks absolutely dreadful. Really crap!

But I think I had the same indifference / WTF-are-they-thinking when the MK5, 6 and 7 first appeared. I'll wait till I see the performance models in the metal to pass proper judgment... my opinion tends to change then and thats when it gets expensive....

That popped up nav screen reminds me of current BMW's actually - very similar to the new G20 3 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That looks like a test car, this is what it should look like...a lot more intergated, not just a tablet lobbed onto the dash like the test car..

250303ab-2020-vw-golf-8-interior.jpg

That sketch looks like it would be far better in person. Like Joe said, the sketch looks almost identical to the new BMW interiors such the the new 3 Series/Z4/8 Series.

If it's anything like the new Toerag interior the instrument cluster will carry virtually seamlessly into the center infotainment screen.

The shape of the dash, positioning of the air vents etc is very similar to the current Polo, with two long slim vents below the infotainment screen.

Do any of the VAG newer infotainment systems come with gesture control similar to BMW? I know it's bit of a gimmick but it might cut down on the finger prints.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do any of the VAG newer infotainment systems come with gesture control similar to BMW? I know it's bit of a gimmick but it might cut down on the finger prints.
    From what I can see the gesture control just allows fairly simple commands like turning volume up/down, clicking next...all of which are available on the steering controls of most VAGs anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah if you get the "Pro" version of the Discovery system it has gestures.

My 172 Skoda VRs has gesture control, handy if you want it to change radio station every time you change gear.

Also voice-lack-of-recognition, which is useless at everything.

Both can fortunately be turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

andy if you want it to change radio station every time you change gear.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »

Do you have that in your 5 Series?

First new model 5 Series I drove had gesture control and I found it excellent for putting the volume to either full blast ear bleed maximum, or total silence. Piss poor for anything in between that though.

The voice controls on cars are generally pretty poor. But at least in the MK7 if you have App Connect you can long press the voice control button and use Googles voice control, which is pretty decent.

That said, I had voice control on a 2011 mk3 Ford Focus a few years ago and used it all the time, mainly because the infotainment system was so hard to navigate. It worked once you knew how to talk to it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I had it in my old Fiesta ST as well, I used it mostly for reading out funny text messages and words it couldn't pronounce, my son and niece used get a right skit out of it:D

FWIW i think the infortainment system in the mk7 is plenty good enough. As mentioned above most of the controls are on the steering wheel and in the MFD in the clock cluster.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Do you have that in your 5 Series?

First new model 5 Series I drove had gesture control and I found it excellent for putting the volume to either full blast ear bleed maximum, or total silence. Piss poor for anything in between that though.

Nope, nothing that fancy in the F10. That was only introduced in the newer G30 5 Series.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement