Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One of the chaps here has a review of the i30n...

He's a review of an R there as well...were still awaiting on the GTi and S3 reviews and a head to head shoot out from him...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Am I right in saying Hyundai are working on a DSG model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The i30N is class, definitely worth considering if you value driving experience over all else. I enjoy driving my Up GTI much more than the VRS 245 I had prior to it which would be the same mechanically as the GTI PP. It just has the fun factor and puts a smile on your face. I've had so many compliments on it too, people love the cheekiness I think :) Test drive all the options on your list before deciding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can I throw this in the mix?! :p

(Excuse the clickbait caption, it's more to grab the attention on YouTube, I don't think it's better than the R. Well not overall anyway!)

were still awaiting on the GTi and S3 reviews and a head to head shoot out from him...

Hoping to get my hands on a TCR GTi in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Hyundai are working on a DSG model?

I think a DCT model is all but confirmed and rumours of a future 4wd model too.

Can't get i30N on PCP though as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Test drove the i30n last week. Loved it and am considering one.
    Wheels were in absolute tatters though which was surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

I don't know are the PP and DSG essential. I'd get the technology pack, upgrade the sound system and if you really want extra power get a Revo map or similar. If your going to get value out of the lsd it's not going to be under anyway normal spirited driving. You need to be driving the stones out of it, if it's not going on a track or your a headcase in the wet I don't see much benefit. The car is 100% in standard spec.

I think it depends on how you like to drive and where your regular driving takes place. I went from an auto to a manual because I missed the level of control a manual gives you, but I know for some people, they love the quick shifts of the DSG and value auto for city driving.

I had a non-PP manual for a weekend and while it was a lovely car, it definitely needed the diff up front as it was a little understeery and not great at getting the power down in the wet. I will caveat that by saying that the front tyres weren't in great shape. After having lived with a PP now for 4 months, I'm glad I went for it. The extra power isn't noticeable, but the extra traction is both in the wet and the dry. Don't forget the PP has upgraded brakes too, extra stopping power is always a good thing. And you don't need to be "driving the stones out of it" to feel the benefit :)

So for city driving or motorway cruising, yeah, you probably don't need the PP. If you enjoy driving and like to cover ground efficiently and effectively, I would recommend the PP over non-PP.

Regarding the upgraded sound-system, the non-PP I drove had the Dynaudio set-up and I was completely unimpressed. I found it hard to get a nice sound from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Test drove the i30n last week. Loved it and am considering one.
    Wheels were in absolute tatters though which was surprising

These look like very good value secondhand now, saw a couple of 181s around the 30k mark. Great value for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

I hate the way dealers do this, stick an ad up and don't follow up with photos for days. I just want to ogle the clubsport god dammit!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-2-0tsi-265bhp-auto/22230239

EDIT - Ok, the two clubsports that are up aren't listed as available till July, so I can kind of understand it, but it's all to common a practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

What's the bet owners are trading up to TCR's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

eljono wrote: »
    These look like very good value secondhand now, saw a couple of 181s around the 30k mark. Great value for what you get.

Problem with that is that it's great value for the outlay, but a 40k GTI will cost you less over the 2 or 3 years when it comes to trade in time. So in reality, the golf is the cheaper car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

theintern wrote: »
    I hate the way dealers do this, stick an ad up and don't follow up with photos for days. I just want to ogle the clubsport god dammit!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-2-0tsi-265bhp-auto/22230239

EDIT - Ok, the two clubsports that are up aren't listed as available till July, so I can kind of understand it, but it's all to common a practice.

Yeah - in these situations they have a deal done for a factory ordered car, due in for the "192" registration and the dealer is putting the early feelers out for the incoming used car. It's probably being traded for a TCR...

eljono wrote: »
    I had a non-PP manual for a weekend and while it was a lovely car, it definitely needed the diff up front as it was a little understeery and not great at getting the power down in the wet. I will caveat that by saying that the front tyres weren't in great shape. After having lived with a PP now for 4 months, I'm glad I went for it. The extra power isn't noticeable, but the extra traction is both in the wet and the dry.

I think your giving the LSD credit for something it doesn't deserve. Your not going to see that kind of immediate difference with an LSD unless your on the edge, I upgraded from the standard Bridgestone to the Michelin pilot sport 4's made an instant difference in the wet and dry, not near as much wheel hop and it also helped with breaking. I've never thought I wish I could go faster into a corner in the standard GTi, it well capable with good rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I didn’t realize how good value these cars used to be until the last few posts.
    In 2015 I paid just under 39k for new gti PP with metallic, keyless, tech pack and leather as well as getting three free services. At 45/50k these cars are too much money lads.
    Anyway ye should all be ordering Tesla model 3 at that money according to some threads here on boards. Apparently they’re better than BMW M3/4 so must be better than gti!

According to some threads here we should be all wearings skirts. You first : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The problem with buying an i30n though is they dont offer PCP on it, the HP rate is higher than VW bank on a Golf iirc and it's going to depreciate a lot harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone see this colour in person not sure what to make of it from the photos.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2019-191-volkswagen-golf-golf-gt-galway-fpa-201809110388021

Horrible - looks like beetroot. That car is sitting in stock nearly two years at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I actually don't mind it but it's been said a few times on here that that particular car has been sitting for nearly two years in the dealership. I saw a normal Golf in it a while ago, not as bad in person I think.

As for the i30 N, I certainly wouldn't buy one brand new. New ones on Carzone are nearly €42k while 181s are going for €30k. That's some loss in one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm nearly certain that particular car was discussed in this thread before.

• Advertisement

That's not the same car I think wasn't the other one a Mk7 or else a mk7.5 without the digital dash.
    You can see the engine build date on the sticker on the side of it easily. Should be some time around may/June 2017 if it's the same. A 2yr old car with a 191 plate is a bit cheeky.

At this stage in the life cycle of the current golf I would not buy or order new.
    When the mark 8 is unveiled later this year and then gti you will be sorry. It will instantly date what you have. Won’t make it a worse car but you will want the new model!
    If you can find a 171/181 at decent money to hold for a year or two that’s a better proposition in my view.
    Is that 171 Audi A5 petrol Quattro you linked before in Sligo still available? That would be a nice buy if you’re spending in the 40’s anyway.

That's not the same car I think wasn't the other one a Mk7 or else a mk7.5 without the digital dash.
    You can see the engine build date on the sticker on the side of it easily. Should be some time around may/June 2017 if it's the same. A 2yr old car with a 191 plate is a bit cheeky.

Its the same car 100%. They bought it for stock and then stuck a 191 plate on in this year and have it up now as a "demo". JoeA3 will confirm that as he has dealt with Western for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Beshoff have a black 2018 A5 SP 2.0 TFSI petrol with 252bhp for sale too, asking 50k for it though.

It's the same car. It's been there 2 years now and they only put the 191 plates on it earlier this year.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone see this colour in person not sure what to make of it from the photos.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2019-191-volkswagen-golf-golf-gt-galway-fpa-201809110388021

Saw it a few weeks back when I went into the dealer to get a part. Here's some more pics.

6GuQXHfl.png
    aP1oBwnl.png

As mentioned, it's been discussed on this thread. JoeA3 could give you the complete history, but it's been lying around on the forecourt for two years, and was registered 191.

I actually don't think it's the worst colour in the world to be honest, it's certainly unique. I'd just be concerned as to why it hasn't sold, and the period of time it's been lying around for.

For someone who wants a unique colour, and can bargain a decent deal for it, it might be worth a punt. I wouldn't be paying what they're asking by a long way given it's been sitting around so long. They're surely keen to get rid of it at this stage.

I'd put good money on the dealer getting stung by not checking what actual colour "Black Rubin" is before ordering it.

EDIT - Just checked, Joe sent me a photo of it he took in WM on the 8th July 2017. So literally 2 years.

Ah yes that’s a long time to be sitting there it’s not really any cheaper than the other demos anyway and has the least desirable alloys.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Horrible - looks like beetroot. That car is sitting in stock nearly two years at this stage

I initially thought the same as you, but in person you'd be surprised. It's quite dark and more subtle than it looks in the photos on Donedeal. I think my photos a couple of posts back are a better representation of how it looks in the metal.

I wonder if there isn't something else wrong with it that's putting people off bar it sitting on the forecourt? Surely by now they'd have offered it at a decent discount to someone who doesn't mind the colour. You'd be getting a VW warranty too for any potential problems with it.

There's nothing wrong with the car at all tbh, its a "new" car, its barely left the forecourt in 2 years ;)

What's holding it back? Well obviously the colour, but its very strongly priced too imo.

I think better photos of it would go a long way. It's a better looking colour than the photos on carzone suggest. They had it professionally detailed a while back and it looked really great on the detailer's FB page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

One of the chaps here has a review of the i30n...

He's a review of an R there as well...were still awaiting on the GTi and S3 reviews and a head to head shoot out from him...

The Hyundai is interesting and certainly a car which piques curiosity, coming from a company who aren't historically known for their contributions to the hot hatch segment.

I've had a Golf R for the last few months and it's my first hatch in a number of years having been driving quick coupes/saloons mostly over the last decade or more. Having had a number of hot hatches like Audi S3 mk1, Civic VTis/Type Rs, Focus RS mk1 and so on back in the day, I still find it weird that hatches nowadays are moving into the 300bhp+ territory.

Of course they're blighted a little by increased weight, and the power is unquestionably fun, but part of me feels like they've lost a little of their appeal (youthful innocence!) from one perspective - they're no longer junior performance cars which are affordable for all and can be pushed to their limit on any road, but €40k+ well-specced vehicles which are matching 90s supercar performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Looking at giving the car service (first outside dealer network) over the weekend. I don't buy from Mick's Garage but just checked in to compare prices. Currently, they're giving 4 different oil filters for the car of varying size. Any oil filter I had to change in my previous VW cars were the paper type filter which was inserted into the housing. Mick's garage is giving me the old metal type filters. Open the bonnet and you can see a plastic housing not a metal type system.

Generally, I go the main deal and get a service kit from them, I find there can be very little in the price between the main dealer and auto factors.

Sorry for the rant. not on here as much to justify the rant but the heat is getting to me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea every time I go to Micksgarage they get at least one item wrong whether it's oil filter, air filter etc. I go to dealers now & just buy the oil on Micks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Horseshoe600

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been on the look out for a hot hatch with an open mind on which one. Pre WLTP GTIs in a 181 reg appear thin enough on the ground it seems.

I am unable to link it in here as I'm a new user, but there's a 181 reg Cupra in Colton Motors which looks promising. Would anyone here be able to link it in here and post their views on this car?

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been on the look out for a hot hatch with an open mind on which one. Pre WLTP GTIs in a 181 reg appear thin enough on the ground it seems.

I am unable to link it in here as I'm a new user, but there's a 181 reg Cupra in Colton Motors which looks promising. Would anyone here be able to link it in here and post their views on this car?

Linky - https://carsireland.ie/2024084

I know nothing about Cupras though, so someone else will have to give an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Horseshoe600

That's the one, thanks so much.

With the tech pack on the GTI when was that first offered on them is it only a thing on 2019 ones or was it’s offered on all mk7.5 ones as an option ?

CIP, if you searched posts in this thread (posted by me :D) you'd have the answers to all your questions already answered.

The "tech pack" is just a gimmicky pack that they've offered with differing names and slightly differing contents for the last 4-5 years. There's very few Golfs that don't have it spec'd. Dealers / VW Ireland would almost spec it by default. Back in 152 it cost €152. Now its €700. That's another stark indication of how nuts the pricing has gone in the few years since then.

I'd say he's on about the newer touch screen 172 and up. 8 inch is standard,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the story with the deep cell batteries sitting? Will they have been damaged from being discharged? Will normal driving keep it healthy?

• Advertisement

Not a Golf, but here's a GTI up for sale. Actually met this guy the other week and it's a lovely little car. Might even be on here?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2324961

He was mentioning being tempted by a Golf so looks like he may be biting the bullet!

theintern wrote: »
    Not a Golf, but here's a GTI up for sale. Actually met this guy the other week and it's a lovely little car. Might even be on here?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2324961

He was mentioning being tempted by a Golf so looks like he may be biting the bullet!

Nice little car but the money seems very strong to me, maybe I'm wrong?

Asking 60%+ of the new price for a 4 year old, 50k mile car sold privately.....deliriously priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

THe new m340i estate is really tempting me as an upgrade. Golf is still perfect but 4 years old now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

That's silly money. The other half has an Ibiza Cupra, mechanically identical. 162 with 75k km on it. Must tell her to stick it up for sale :)

You can get an identical car from a main dealer in from the UK and VRT it for 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

THe new m340i estate is really tempting me as an upgrade. Golf is still perfect but 4 years old now.

How much are they?

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    That's silly money. The other half has an Ibiza Cupra, mechanically identical. 162 with 75k km on it. Must tell her to stick it up for sale :)

You can get an identical car from a main dealer in from the UK and VRT it for 15k.

I traded a 161 Fiesta ST last year with similar mileage, 77kms for 15k. They sold it for 15,950 the following week. Both an Ibiza and fiesta would be better value. You'd pick up a 14 reg PP GTi for similar money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How much are they?

Pretty cheap where I’m based. 40k base
    Next logical step In the do it all familyI/sports car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Pretty cheap where I’m based. 40k base

For the new 340i? I'd love to know where you're based where a new 340i is only 40k!

I know this is a golf thread but if you were in the market for a gti you would have to take this for a test drive surely?
    Fully specced and rarity value should help depreciation.
    Check out Joe Achilles on youtube to appreciate these.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/used-2018-181-bmw-1-series-m140i-5dr-dublin-fpa-201902084739691

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I know this is a golf thread but if you were in the market for a gti you would have to take this for a test drive surely?
    Fully specced and rarity value should help depreciation.
    Check out Joe Achilles on youtube to appreciate these.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/used-2018-181-bmw-1-series-m140i-5dr-dublin-fpa-201902084739691

Joe Achilles does some of the best, if not the best, BMW content on YouTube. He also dabbles with other brands too. I'd recommend his channel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement