Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Yeah here he is with the M140i shadow edition model I linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIT--M79m2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought we'd established the BMW is no good at carrying nuclear warheads so shouldn't be on the shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That b58 apparently is very modestly rated by BMW. 340bhp when it's closer to 360 or 370 from watching car throttle Dyno the new supra earlier. 6 pot too which helps the sound track compared with all the other hot hatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That B58 engine is getting great reviews and praise. Great performance for someone not wanting the full blown running costs of a M car. Don't think CIP4 is a BMW person though.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Is Car Throttle American or European? I ask because the US version of the Supra/Z4 M40i is roughly 380bhp while EU is around 340 due to emissions.

It's British afaik. Yanks use a different grade of Octane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

Howdy, bit of a noob question but is it terrible to have two different tyre types on a GTI? Had a service there and my fronts need replacing in the next couple of months but rears are grand. Still best to be safe and replace all 4 if I want to change from the stock tyres to a different type altogether? Thanks

Plenty of people rotate their tyres, one pair will burn out first depending on if it's front wheel or rear wheel drive car. Nothing wrong doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I replace a set when needed. No harm in having different front and rear tyres provided they're the same on each axle.

If you rotate them then you have two part worn sets rather then a new set and a part worn set. Also rotating them means you're paying for two sets at once when it's time to change which is expensive with decent tyres.

Also if you need to change, I would be wary of putting worn, slippy tyres on the rear. Sure they aren't under driving load but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Lads with mods, who do you use for insurance? I’m looking at an R at the minute with the suspension changed so trying to get an idea who who to get a quote from.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I replace a set when needed. No harm in having different front and rear tyres provided they're the same on each axle.

If you rotate them then you have two part worn sets rather then a new set and a part worn set. Also rotating them means you're paying for two sets at once when it's time to change which is expensive with decent tyres.

Also if you need to change, I would be wary of putting worn, slippy tyres on the rear. Sure they aren't under driving load but still.

I've never heard anyone refer to two tyres as a set before...... in relation to a 4 wheeled vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Lads with mods, who do you use for insurance? I’m looking at an R at the minute with the suspension changed so trying to get an idea who who to get a quote from.

Your best bet is most likely continuing with your existing insurer and delcaring the change to them. Hopefully they won't mind too much and might just request an engineers report.

Getting quotes for modified cars is a minefield and seriously difficult these days, so approaching ransoms ones and requesting a quote rarely ends in good news unfortunately (or any news on most cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

dar83 wrote: »
    Your best bet is most likely continuing with your existing insurer and delcaring the change to them. Hopefully they won't mind too much and might just request an engineers report.

Getting quotes for modified cars is a minefield and seriously difficult these days, so approaching ransoms ones and requesting a quote rarely ends in good news unfortunately (or any news on most cases).

Any experience with this? I'm almost afraid to ask my insurance company for fear it'll trigger some red flag in their systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    Howdy, bit of a noob question but is it terrible to have two different tyre types on a GTI? Had a service there and my fronts need replacing in the next couple of months but rears are grand. Still best to be safe and replace all 4 if I want to change from the stock tyres to a different type altogether? Thanks

Generally keep the axles matching. I have hankook Ventus on the back of mine and Goodyear F1 Assym 5 on the front of a GTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    My OCD prevents me from having nothing only matching tires all the way around... but that’s just me!

Augeo wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone refer to two tyres as a set before...... in relation to a 4 wheeled vehicle.

I guess it's just because I replace front and rear as needed, so only doing the front I called it a set. But I see your point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Looking for some advice, need/want to remove the front seats out of the golf. From an online search, a Torx head won't work you need an xzn (triple square). Does anyone know where I can get one or know of an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Looking for some advice, need/want to remove the front seats out of the golf. From an online search, a Torx head won't work you need an xzn (triple square). Does anyone know where I can get one or know of an alternative?

Commonly called spline set any decent motor factors or even Halfords should have a set good one to have in the tool kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I’d take a guess at Halfords being the only local place that might have them.
    Try and find an ErWin document for their removal as you need to take care when disconnecting/reconnecting the airbags in the seats.

• Advertisement

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    I’d take a guess at Halfords being the only local place that might have them.
    Try and find an ErWin document for their removal as you need to take care when disconnecting/reconnecting the airbags in the seats.

Any decent motor factors should have them, i think i paid 50e for a draper set in Bradshaws years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Those wheels though..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Looks good but I think VW should have made the fog light surrounds gloss to match the front and rear lower splitters.
    Personally, I like the Belevedere wheels - super light with a nice and open design and a minimum amount of them diamond cut. It’s amazing how much material has been cut away from the wheels when you see them in the metal.

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Looks good but I think VW should have made the fog light surrounds gloss to match the front and rear lower splitters.
    Personally, I like the Belevedere wheels - super light with a nice and open design and a minimum amount of them diamond cut. It’s amazing how much material has been cut away from the wheels when you see them in the metal.

When you look at those and then you look at the normal Milton Keynes GTI alloys, it's a crazy difference.

I do like those wheels, a lot less metal compared to usual wheels. Nice open spoke pattern, lots of brake goodness on display. Nice seats too.

I thought the TCR had no back seats or was that the limited edition TCR?

I wonder how driveability is in them considering the firmer suspension.

On an unrelated note, are GTDs cheap second hand? I see so many of them around, almost as common as a TDI Passat or A4 and my area doesn't have the nicest cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I do like those wheels, a lot less metal compared to usual wheels. Nice open spoke pattern, lots of brake goodness on display. Nice seats too.

I thought the TCR had no back seats or was that the limited edition TCR?

I wonder how driveability is in them considering the firmer suspension.

On an unrelated note, are GTDs cheap second hand? I see so many of them around, almost as common as a TDI Passat or A4 and my area doesn't have the nicest cars.

Think it was the Clubsport S that had no rear seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Not buying or selling, but I posted this in detailing if anyone is interested in car wax, new mats, or alloy refurbs...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110580943&postcount=4697

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

To change my car now or wait is the question...

I've a 142 GTD and I love the car but I thinking of changing it with the last few months. But I dont know would it be a smart idea to change it now and get a 172 or 181, the prices I've been quoted at €16-19k with my own car being traded in against them. Or to wait for the mk8 to come out at the end of the year and then change for a new mk8 GTD.... but would I be looking at some crazy figures like 30k to pay with trading in my own car hahaha. I've be quoted that my car has a trade in value of €15,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Will you stick with the GTD or switch to a GTi/R?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Wailin wrote: »
    Will you stick with the GTD or switch to a GTi/R?
    Tbh I'd love them especially a R but fuel economy is the problem for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah the GTD are lovely and a sensible option if mileage is high. Good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah the GTD are lovely and a sensible option if mileage is high. Good luck with the search.

Would a 25km each way commute be too high for a GTi / R?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Depends if you are driving much outside of the commute as well. If you are doing more than 20k kms per year you start getting into diesel territory imo.

Would a 25km each way commute be too high for a GTi / R?

That's only 13,000km a year. Unless you're doing an incredible amount of driving outside of commuting, I don't think it would be too high.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    That's only 13,000km a year. Unless you're doing an incredible amount of driving outside of commuting, I don't think it would be too high.

I have the same commute and manage to do over 30kms a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

To change my car now or wait is the question...

I've a 142 GTD and I love the car but I thinking of changing it with the last few months. But I dont know would it be a smart idea to change it now and get a 172 or 181, the prices I've been quoted at €16-19k with my own car being traded in against them. Or to wait for the mk8 to come out at the end of the year and then change for a new mk8 GTD.... but would I be looking at some crazy figures like 30k to pay with trading in my own car hahaha. I've be quoted that my car has a trade in value of €15,500

If you are getting 15,500 for your 142, that is very good. You can buy a 16 GTD all in for 21k. I would say that 15,500 is against a brand new and car isnt actually standing the dealer 15,500 (I hope I'm mistaken)

I was offered €18k for my 151 GTD off one dealer and €15k off another, the difference being the second dealer had a car reasonably priced and the first had theirs at what I consider a quite inflated price. Both being Leon Cupra's. Either way they have you. I decided it wasn't worth trading up 1/2 years and bringing an extra load of debt on myself.

The motoring landscape here is changing so quickly now people might be better off keeping what they have, who knows what changes the next 1-2 years will bring. Either way i reckon this will definitely be my last diesel car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭easyvision

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I was offered €18k for my 151 GTD off one dealer and €15k off another, the difference being the second dealer had a car reasonably priced and the first had theirs at what I consider a quite inflated price. Both being Leon Cupra's. Either way they have you. I decided it wasn't worth trading up 1/2 years and bringing an extra load of debt on myself.

The motoring landscape here is changing so quickly now people might be better off keeping what they have, who knows what changes the next 1-2 years will bring. Either way i reckon this will definitely be my last diesel car.

I’m in the exact same position! 151 GTD offered 15k trading in against 181 GTD. So thinking it hold off maybe until new year. There’s not a great selection of GTI/GTD around 28-30k currently, want the updated model! Though I’m sure with the MK8 golf coming it might drop prices etc. the new Leon FR might be one to look at too possibly depending on spec etc. I would say inferior will get an upgrade.

Diesel is possibly going to be the same price as petrol after the budget, considering the extra cost in buying the diesel Vs the mpg in the GTi and GTD I don't know how appealing the diesel will still be.

Would a main dealer bring in a UK car? Spec on the UK Cupra has ACC, front sensors and digital dash standard. Plenty of them have keyless too. Probably wouldn't save much with VRT on top but the spec is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

easyvision wrote: »
    I’m in the exact same position! 151 GTD offered 15k trading in against 181 GTD. So thinking it hold off maybe until new year. There’s not a great selection of GTI/GTD around 28-30k currently, want the updated model! Though I’m sure with the MK8 golf coming it might drop prices etc. the new Leon FR might be one to look at too possibly depending on spec etc. I would say inferior will get an upgrade.

I was offered 20k for my 132 GTI, oryx wiess, 48k, pano, leather, dsg, santiagos against an E92 M3

I'm not going for the M3 because roadtax, but interesting to see the value they placed on the golf. I could be tempted into an R but the spec would need to match my existing at a minimum.

I'm slightly tempted to go the APR pops and bangs route for the craic and relive some misspent youth:pac:

ondafly wrote: »
    I was offered 20k for my 132 GTI, oryx wiess, 48k, pano, leather, dsg, santiagos against an E92 M3

I'm not going for the M3 because roadtax, but interesting to see the value they placed on the golf. I could be tempted into an R but the spec would need to match my existing at a minimum.

I'm slightly tempted to go the APR pops and bangs route for the craic and relive some misspent youth:pac:

No disrespect but if the expense of motor tax is putting you off owning a M3 then you probably made the right choice. A M3 is not a cheap car to maintain or run and motor tax is only a small part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

bazz26 wrote: »
    No disrespect but if the expense of motor tax is putting you off owning a M3 then you probably made the right choice. A M3 is not a cheap car to maintain or run and motor tax is only a small part of it.

No disrespect taken when you don't know all the facts. I have owned 2 previously and very aware of their costs which aren't that bad in truth. How many M3s have you owned ?

I already have a high tax car on the driveway beside the GTI - didn't want a 2nd mega tax car in the end. Its more a case of a 1800+ road-tax sitting on the driveway and would only get used once per week, just like the GTI currently but that only costs 330 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Would a main dealer bring in a UK car? Spec on the UK Cupra has ACC, front sensors and digital dash standard. Plenty of them have keyless too. Probably wouldn't save much with VRT on top but the spec is better.
    the faclift has the digital dash as standard no? i remember sitting in the blue on in mcCoys and it had a digital dash pretty sure the only extra on it was the pano roof

Indeed........ almost 50% of the new price for a 6 year old trade in......must be plenty meat in the asking price of the M3 or they simply can't get rid of the thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Why get a dealer to do it? If they do, they're gonna charge you for the pleasure.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the faclift has the digital dash as standard no? i remember sitting in the blue on in mcCoys and it had a digital dash pretty sure the only extra on it was the pano roof

Might be standard on the 2019 models but 2017/2018 models don't have it. 2019 models don't seem to have ACC here either despite being €6k more expensive than last year.

I don't mind losing digital dash but I'd like to still have ACC.
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    Why get a dealer to do it? If they do, they're gonna charge you for the pleasure.

I'd happily fly over and pick one up if I could, but being on PCP and looking to continue it probably isn't feasible. I wouldn't expect a main dealer to lift a finger thoughb so will probably just need to play the waiting game and see if one comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hooch-85 wrote: »

To be honest, the more I read around boards, the less i want to change my car next year.
    I have already mentioned that second hand cupras of 161- 171ish are way over inflated. And by the looks of it, dealers can't keep the stock up. People just buy them at that price. The whole jump in price of new car last year really does not help ( if you are in market for such stuff ) and new increase this year will make it even worse.
    Ironically dealers will tell you any bull**** to make your car look unwanted and very low value, but magically cars in their yard keep their value very well and a lot better cars.
    If you in the market for Cupra, golf GTI or R, you pretty much forced to pay sticker price. If you won't, there is another lad right behind you.

The way it goes, I hope i30N still stays unpopular and "not cool" as vag stuff, so I can pick one up for under 30k next year.

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed........ almost 50% of the new price for a 6 year old trade in......must be plenty meat in the asking price of the M3 or they simply can't get rid of the thing :)

Have to agree, even with GTi's holding value well that seems like a mad offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Trade in offer of 20k is meaningless. The cost to change is the important figure. It's likely that there's a lot of leeway on the price of the M3 (so on a straight buy, there's likely to be plenty of discount on it). Try getting a trade in price for the 6 year old GTI against a new 320d and you'd get some shock!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement