Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It is yeah, very good really all things considered.

On the exhaust, it really depends what you're after, cheap and cheerful (res delete hack job) or decent sound (Milltek, Remus, Scorpion). I'm personally a fan of the Milltek sound and craftsmanship, so I went for that.

Edit: Costs for me was about 1k or 1100 I think for the exhaust parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Plenty of reputable guys able to custom tune these (TDR Perfomance, AP Perfomance or Torquetronix up north to name a few), Revo is not the only option but I get the value placed on the R&D behind Revo.

I've been in a revo mapped manual PP GTi and it was impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

dar83 wrote: »
    I've done both and it makes a pretty big difference, not only to the sound but also to the responsiveness of the car.

VWR600 intake with pipe and turbo inlet pipe (didn't bother with the muffler delete, yet)
    Milltek deres catback with polished tips.

Thanks for the info. Did you need to remove any of the rubber bonnet seal when fitting the intake? I quite like the look of Mountune's intake, but it requires removing some of the bonnet seal, which I'd rather not do.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Plenty of reputable guys able to custom tune these (TDR Perfomance, AP Perfomance or Torquetronix up north to name a few), Revo is not the only option but I get the value placed on the R&D behind Revo.

I've been in a revo mapped manual PP GTi and it was impressive!

My main reason for actually going Revo would be more for the fact I prefer to be able to flash/reflash at my own leisure, which means I'd have to buy their SPS switch as well, which costs extra, naturally. Hence why I'm a bit reluctant to pay them the guts of 1k for a Stage 1. But hey, maybe they'll actually do a proper black Friday offer this year and not last years hunk of crap.
    eljono wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Did you need to remove any of the rubber bonnet seal when fitting the intake? I quite like the look of Mountune's intake, but it requires removing some of the bonnet seal, which I'd rather not do.

No, the VWR kit is a direct replacement for OEM and doesn't involve any messing with coolant hoses or seal cutting. I wouldn't be in to that personally, sounds unnecessary and a bit messy. VWR looks closest to OEM anyway, which is what I wanted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

If you wanted to stay OEM, you could look at fitting a Clubsport exhaust. It makes a serious difference in the noise. Not obnoxious, but makes the exhaust louder, and it's OEM. I think the part number is 5G6253609DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Have a Milltek Road+ on my car, I love the sound, it definitely makes the car more fun to drive. It drones a bit at 100kmh but you get used to that very quickly and it’s not very intrusive. Would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I read somewhere that there was a changeover in oil type used in the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI it went from Castrol edge 5W30 to 0W20 how would I know which should be in my car is there a sticker somewhere or anything to identify which it should use. Just wondering in case I need to top it up. I have a litre of Castrol edge 5w30 from my last car but if it uses 0W20 I will need to get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Folks best remap place in Dub for a GTD......just looking to get more punch mid range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

My main reason for actually going Revo would be more for the fact I prefer to be able to flash/reflash at my own leisure, which means I'd have to buy their SPS switch as well, which costs extra, naturally. Hence why I'm a bit reluctant to pay them the guts of 1k for a Stage 1. But hey, maybe they'll actually do a proper black Friday offer this year and not last years hunk of crap

Just a small point to pick up on. The Revo SPS doesn’t allow you to flash/reflash the ECU. It allows you to change modes within the Revo software. So with a Mk7 you get 4 modes:

“Stock” mode (replicates stock performance levels)
    Poor operating conditions mode (ie Irish fuel)
    Good operating conditions mode (super unleaded)
    Anti theft mode

I know you won’t trust my objectivity for obvious reasons but I’ve driven MQB TSI cars with software by other tuners and they don’t come close. Revo is worth the money all day every day.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that there was a changeover in oil type used in the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI it went from Castrol edge 5W30 to 0W20 how would I know which should be in my car is there a sticker somewhere or anything to identify which it should use. Just wondering in case I need to top it up. I have a litre of Castrol edge 5w30 from my last car but if it uses 0W20 I will need to get that.

If you PM me reg or VIN I’ll check the spec for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

My main reason for actually going Revo would be more for the fact I prefer to be able to flash/reflash at my own leisure, which means I'd have to buy their SPS switch as well, which costs extra, naturally. Hence why I'm a bit reluctant to pay them the guts of 1k for a Stage 1. But hey, maybe they'll actually do a proper black Friday offer this year and not last years hunk of crap

Just a small point to pick up on. The Revo SPS doesn’t allow you to flash/reflash the ECU. It allows you to change modes within the Revo software. So with a Mk7 you get 4 modes:

“Stock” mode (replicates stock performance levels)
    Poor operating conditions mode (ie Irish fuel)
    Good operating conditions mode (super unleaded)
    Anti theft mode

I know you won’t trust my objectivity for obvious reasons but I’ve driven MQB TSI cars with software by other tuners and they don’t come close. Revo is worth the money all day every day.

I would have been one who was always cynical about the cost of revo and the benefit of their R&D but having driven a revo’d mk7 I have to say it’s one of the best maps on any car I’ve owned or driven.

George I don't doubt it and I also take you at your word, affiliations aside. I've heard great things about Revo and have a friend of a friend who works for them, so as negative as I may sound, they're still the most likely route I'd go, should I pull the trigger. My wording may have been off, but the ability to "return" to stock is what I was alluding to. I like having that ability if and when required, so the SPS switch is pretty much a requirement for me personally.

With that said, I don't like their pricing structure and the fact they don't just offer a remap handset like Dreamscience etc... As they could easily do this given the process followed and reduce costs for the end user. I also find it odd how a brand new Fiesta ST remap costs significantly less than a well established MQB platform remap that has surely paid for it's R&D by now multiple times over. It's the VAG tax that irritates me most (and they're not nearly alone in that one!), but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

For those that have had their GTIs re-mapped - what was the effect on your insurance?

I'd love to re-map mine, but I fear what it may do to my premium.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    For those that have had their GTIs re-mapped - what was the effect on your insurance?

I'd love to re-map mine, but I fear what it may do to my premium.

Given how Irish insurance companies react to it I would say the vast majority just aren't declared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A license to print money no doubt.

Loads of our customers have mods declared (we often have to provide letters stating that the modifications have been carried out to the appropriate standard) and from what I'm told the increase in premium is usually quite low, which I find surprising.

Given how Irish insurance companies react to it I would say the vast majority just aren't declared.

Certainly the vast majority of people with just a Stage 1 remap aren't declaring it as it is virtually undetectable.

When you start adding visible hardware then it's a different ballgame. At that point most people will declare it in our experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is the td1 flag still a thing when ecu gets flashed? I wonder would an insurance company check for this if there was a large pay out on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Insurance companies have the right to refuse cover if they find any falsehood in the submission.

Expect a call from the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland if there is any damage caused to a third party who wants to claim.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    Insurance companies have the right to refuse cover if they find any falsehood in the submission.

Expect a call from the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland if there is any damage caused to a third party who wants to claim.

I currently have no mods declared or otherwise so wasn’t talking about myself. As far as remaps go as George pointed out they are close to undetectable if done alone so most people with a basic remap have little risk from not declaring.

Different when physical mods start to be added then of course, not declaring these is a risky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Realistically, are they going to check your car was mapped just because you're in a fender bender? I'd be willing to bet plenty of daysul Audi's from the UK are mapped. My friends A6 certainly was. I understand you're not covered if you knowingly don't tell them but who's to say you know it's mapped?

Every GTI and R I've seen was driven normally. No flooring it or speeding. It's someone's daily driver at the end of the day, I think most of us on here are smart enough to leave it for the backroads or night time.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Realistically, are they going to check your car was mapped just because you're in a fender bender? I'd be willing to bet plenty of daysul Audi's from the UK are mapped. My friends A6 certainly was. I understand you're not covered if you knowingly don't tell them but who's to say you know it's mapped?

Every GTI and R I've seen was driven normally. No flooring it or speeding. It's someone's daily driver at the end of the day, I think most of us on here are smart enough to leave it for the backroads or night time.

I'm not having a go at anyone at all.

I'm just letting people know what I didn't know until recently.

I was in a fender bender and nothing was checked. Didn't matter as mine is not mapped, but just saying they may not check - as both posters above said.

What I am saying is that if you're unfortunate enough to be in a significant incident and the insurance company are so inclined, cover may be declined and the MIBI may have to cover you. Once that happens, the MIBI can step in at any time in the future to try recoup their costs and stop you from making any significant purchases, i.e. house or a car.

Again, I'm not being a killjoy here. All I am saying is an extra few hundred quid on a policy may save your bacon in the future. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not having a go at anyone at all.

I'm just letting people know what I didn't know until recently.

I was in a fender bender and nothing was checked. Didn't matter as mine is not mapped, but just saying they may not check - as both posters above said.

What I am saying is that if you're unfortunate enough to be in a significant incident and the insurance company are so inclined, cover may be declined and the MIBI may have to cover you. Once that happens, the MIBI can step in at any time in the future to try recoup their costs and stop you from making any significant purchases, i.e. house or a car.

Again, I'm not being a killjoy here. All I am saying is an extra few hundred quid on a policy may save your bacon in the future. I'll leave it at that.

The insurance company can't just decline your cover completely, they have to pay the 3rd party claim regardless. The MIBI are only involved if you had no insurance at all. The insurance company could come after you but from what I've heard its actually rare. Overall you are fecked though if it happened you are 100% correct in saying that.

The insurance company can't just decline your cover completely, they have to pay the 3rd party claim regardless.

Incorrect. The insurance company refuses cover and the MIBI become involved. the MIBI deal with uninsured cases, so it must be the case that the insurance company refuses cover before they become involved.
    The MIBI are only involved if you had no insurance at all.
    Agreed. That's what I've said above.
    The insurance company could come after you but from what I've heard its actually rare. Overall you are fecked though if it happened you are 100% correct in saying that.
    Agreed.

Incorrect. The insurance company refuses cover and the MIBI become involved. the MIBI deal with uninsured cases, so it must be the case that the insurance company refuses cover before they become involved. .

Not trying to argue for the sake of it but I don't think you are correct. Anything I've read on the topic suggests that once you have insurance then the company has to cover 3rd party claims, they can then come after you for the costs if they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder if it's my age talks or just my own common sense.
    I you want 300hp car, then buy R. If you want 220-260hp, then buy GTI or alternatives etc.

As much as I loved back in the day jap modified stuff ( 399hp skyline etc ), I much prefer stock fast cars that were tested by manufacturers and setup in that way. Damn, I wouldn't even change wheels these days.... Am I really that old.. damn...

Not trying to argue for the sake of it but I don't think you are correct. Anything I've read on the topic suggests that once you have insurance then the company has to cover 3rd party claims, they can then come after you for the costs if they wish.

I'm confident I am correct, but the nett result is the same..

If you crash and fail to disclose, the party covering the expense (be it the MIBI or your insurance company) will pick up the tab, but they are perfectly entitled to come after you for it.

As i said, I found that out recently and wanted to let others know is all.

I'd like to think a mapped GTI would be the same cost as a Cupra or S3 but I wouldn't be surprised if the mere mention of a modification would shut that down quite quickly.

On an unrelated note, two things VW could learn from Ford for the next generation is a pullout key and ambient lighting in the cupholders. Keyless is great but it's annoying when it opens in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

^^^^
    Isn't that the ask me anything thread with the cop from Texas?

Ambient lighting in the cup holders... Seriously? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I spotted this yesterday myself, it's a nice spec and it probably won't hang around too long.

But in reality, all these 14/15 examples are overpriced imo, this particular car will be 6 years old in a few months.

In contrast I know of a 3 door one of these. 141 as well and had one of the best specs available and it sold for similar money two years ago, I also know he was offered a fair bit less from a dealer at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Lovely spec on it.

Here’s a link to the page from a few months ago with a load of info.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057328552/436

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Lovely spec on it.

Here’s a link to the page from a few months ago with a load of info.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057328552/436

That's just bringing me back to the page we're on - what number post was it, I'll find it. Thanks

That car has been for sale for a decent while now, not sure if it's just the price putting people off, or if the pictures make it seem in better condition than it is in person. I guess you can let us know tomorrow. ;)

One thing I notice from the pics are the exhaust tips. I'm always apprehensive when they're not shiny, it tells me that it wasn't owned/cared for by someone who had the same level of care/pride in a car as I would have (and some may say that's too much anyway :P ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

I spotted this yesterday myself, it's a nice spec and it probably won't hang around too long.

But in reality, all these 14/15 examples are overpriced imo, this particular car will be 6 years old in a few months.

In contrast I know of a 3 door one of these. 141 as well and had one of the best specs available and it sold for similar money two years ago, I also know he was offered a fair bit less from a dealer at the time.

was in blackwater motors in cork today

161 red 5 dr gti 44km priced at €29,995 - still big money

plus they had a new black golf R in the showroom

That car has been for sale for a decent while now, not sure if it's just the price putting people off, or if the pictures make it seem in better condition than it is in person. I guess you can let us know tomorrow. ;)

One thing I notice from the pics are the exhaust tips. I'm always apprehensive when they're not shiny, it tells me that it wasn't owned/cared for by someone who had the same level of care/pride in a car as I would have (and some may say that's too much anyway :P ).

I don't recall seeing this car before unless it was in a different dealership?
    kooga wrote: »
    was in blackwater motors in cork today

161 red 5 dr gti 44km priced at €29,995 - still big money

plus they had a new black golf R in the showroom

Yeah they have that priced that way since last year. Too much imo. I know of someone who bought a new I30N for €36k last week apparently.

Are you sure?
    I've been keeping an eye on these, I don't recall seeing it before and it only went up yesterday.

Yes, I will be checking out the exhaust tips, noticed that myself.

I've seen it before anyway from memory. I keep an eye on things and I remember that car and those pictures, mainly because of the location and also because it's a 2014 and most of the features spec'd on it would have been options back then (Xenon's, reverse Camera etc...), so someone ticked a lot of boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Sorry, I posted that link from my phone. The one Hooch posted was the one I was trying to post.

I've seen it before anyway from memory. I keep an eye on things and I remember that car and those pictures, mainly because of the location and also because it's a 2014 and most of the features spec'd on it would have been options back then (Xenon's, reverse Camera etc...), so someone ticked a lot of boxes.

Don't think its the same car, a member on autostadt has that now, a guy called Mark from Dublin bought it from Graham Walker and he subsequently bought an E92 M3 and sold it on through he forum.

Don't think its the same car, a member on autostadt has that now, a guy called Mark from Dublin bought it from Graham Walker and he subsequently bought an E92 M3 and sold it on through he forum.

The spec and vintage are eerily similar so! :P

Will check it out anyway.

Ambient lighting in the cup holders... Seriously? :D

Yes, seriously :) I know it sounds silly but it's actually quite useful. I'm always afraid of the lid popping off a coffee when I'm trying to squeeze it into place.

Considering there's two lights in the door they could add it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The cup holders in some new cars I sat in recently changed from blue to red depending on whether the cup holder was being heated or chilled, now that is useful!

Who said a hot hatch isn't practical - 14 bags of rubbish on a dump run :D

IMG-8950.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Doing well there... the boot space in the R was a regular source of frustration for me - drove me bananas on occasion, literally useless. Maybe I need to get better at jenga.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Doing well there... the boot space in the R was a regular source of frustration for me - drove me bananas on occasion, literally useless. Maybe I need to get better at jenga.

Seats were down Joe, no way you'd even get 4 black sacks into the boot. I've been living with VAG 4wd hot hatch boot space for years it's definitely not the smallest boot i've had. 8L S3 would get that honour.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yes, seriously :) I know it sounds silly but it's actually quite useful. I'm always afraid of the lid popping off a coffee when I'm trying to squeeze it into place.

Considering there's two lights in the door they could add it :)

I think we use our cars in vastly different manners. :D

No food or drink allowed in mine. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement