Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

tossy wrote: »
    Who said a hot hatch isn't practical - 14 bags of rubbish on a dump run :D

Clean those exhaust tips tossy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jazus lads don't be drawing attention on the rest of us..na Gardaí will probably be after R's and GTI's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I saw the garda already have a unmarked brand r , silver ish if I recall correctly,
    Seen pictures on another forum a few months ago so can't remember the specifics soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Clean those exhaust tips tossy :p

The are meant to be black. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

davycc wrote: »
    I saw the garda already have a unmarked brand r , silver ish if I recall correctly,
    Seen pictures on another forum a few months ago so can't remember the specifics soon

Grey, 161-D on cadiz alloys. I saw a video of it recently.

• Advertisement

Picked up the car last week and gave it a bit of a clean at the weekend.

B6160131-B7-B1-4-FB6-BC8-E-3-E1-C83-D2486-F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Love the alloys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Lovely motor. My favourite VW colour. Good luck with it & enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Looks great. Well wear. The black bits really work with the blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Don't think its the same car, a member on autostadt has that now, a guy called Mark from Dublin bought it from Graham Walker and he subsequently bought an E92 M3 and sold it on through he forum.

That car was in with us a couple of weeks ago. Belongs to a lad down the country now. We had put the Revo software on for Mark and we’ve done a few bits for the new owner as well.

Yes Ireland is a small country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well wear.
    Looks like it’s had a few bits done by previous owner? Those are 7.5 wheels and it has an aftermarket front splitter? And possibly lowered?

Looks very tidy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Congrats :)

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Well wear.
    Looks like it’s had a few bits done by previous owner? Those are 7.5 wheels and it has an aftermarket front splitter? And possibly lowered?

Looks very tidy anyway.

Yeah, the previous owner was my boss. It came with cadiz and he changed them to speilberg’s. There is a chunk out of the splitter so I might end up taking it off at some point but it isn’t annoying me too much so far. It’s not lowered as far as I know, he had bilsteins on it but took them off to put on his new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Picked up the car last week and gave it a bit of a clean at the weekend.

B6160131-B7-B1-4-FB6-BC8-E-3-E1-C83-D2486-F.jpg

Love it best of luck with her epic colour too, well jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

well done monkey... very jelly of the color!!! With great power comes great responsibility, except on early morning weekends ;-)

ILikeBoats wrote: »

I went to see this.

It's lovely. Not absolutely pristine but in great nick for 5+ year old car, serious spec. I would have taken it but...

I was a bit shocked with the cost of change with my trade-in though.
    To confirm it, I rang my main dealer to get a trade-in price and he told me similar.

I drive a diesel. I'm wondering will it's value just keep dropping like a stone. Am I better off taking a hit now and having a more desirable car to sell on in a couple of years. Or drive my car for a few more. I don't know.

Would anyone who would be clued in on depreciation/diesel/GTIs and can read the future like to PM me do I can bounce ideas off them? Don't really want to put all the figures up online. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Dealers want the jam on both sides these days, cars over priced and trade in values as low as possible.
    Not going into specifics but I inquired about an R with this dealer this year too and was pretty shocked with the offer he gave over the phone for my 151 GTD. I didn't go to see the car in the end but it would have been a circa 15k to change to a 152 R. The car was mint I will say that as it was previously owned by Joe here and I knew the owner after him too who kept it for a short period before moving abroad.

Would you be worried about your GTD hooch? Feel the need to go back to petrol?

Without getting into the whole "diesel is bad because the government says so" debate, would you be worried about the value or are you happy enough to hold on to it

I would love to change back to a petrol GTi but I'm doing too much mileage in reality, my petrol bill would be up on €80 a week.

But it's either pay for it at the pump or in depreciation it seems. It's a catch 22.

• Advertisement

How many km's are you doing a week Hooch, I've emptied 2 tanks in the last 7 days, 1240km and that's a 172 facelift GTI on long spins, I'd assume the R is a lot thirstier.

Around 600 a week averaged out. How much is a tank costing in a GTi now? €70 ish?

That seems like quite decent mileage.

I'm doing about 350km per week so I think it'd be manageable in the GTI

Definitely manageable and if you are happy with that GTi then go for it, you shouldn't really lose out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

I spotted this yesterday myself, it's a nice spec and it probably won't hang around too long.

But in reality, all these 14/15 examples are overpriced imo, this particular car will be 6 years old in a few months.

In contrast I know of a 3 door one of these. 141 as well and had one of the best specs available and it sold for similar money two years ago, I also know he was offered a fair bit less from a dealer at the time.

That car has a really nice spec. You very rarely see the park assist specced, especially on cars that old. I think I've only seen one or two other GTIs with it.

The price that 141s are going for makes me very happy with how well they're holding value, though as has been said, dealers want it both ways with tradeins and second hand sales.

What dealers are asking for their cars and what they will offer you for yours are two very different things.

As Hooch mentioned above, a mutual buddy of ours changed out of his very high spec 141 GTI over 2 years ago. Main dealers were offering him 21k for the car - 2 years ago! He sold it privately then for around 24k.

It is fair to say though that their values seem to plateau in the 20-25k bracket. Anyone who buys one for ~25K and runs it for 2 years and minds it well won't lose too much. Buying them new for 50k though and you lose your shirt within 12 months.

theintern wrote: »
    That car has a really nice spec. You very rarely see the park assist specced, especially on cars that old. I think I've only seen one or two other GTIs with it.

Yeah he was highlighting that yesterday. Seemed pretty cool.
    It is fair to say though that their values seem to plateau in the 20-25k bracket. Anyone who buys one for ~25K and runs it for 2 years and minds it well won't lose too much. Buying them new for 50k though and you lose your shirt within 12 months.

I think the GTI will be worth more and will be more desirable as a trade in than the ST in 18m/2 years time.

Speaking of park assist etc,
    A friends wife bought a brand new citroen C5 .
    I had to move it the other night and was blown away with the reversing camera set up.
    It has a birds eye view mode,something i've never seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Did nt know they even still made them these days`!

• Advertisement

Yeah he was highlighting that yesterday. Seemed pretty cool.

I think the GTI will be worth more and will be more desirable as a trade in than the ST in 18m/2 years time.

You drive a diesel Focus ST? That has to be at least 2016? I don't know if I would go back to a 141 car in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

blingrhino wrote: »
    Did nt know they even still made them these days`!

They have stuck the C5 name along with Aircross on one of their SUVs now.

You drive a diesel Focus ST? That has to be at least 2016? I don't know if I would go back to a 141 car in that case.

Yep, it's 161

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I would have thought you'd get a good chunk on a trade-in of a 161 ST.

So did I!
    Apparently not. And that's coming from Ford too.

The logical thing to do would be to try sell the car privately, see if I can get more and have more buying power (here or UK) without the trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Charlie1281

Does anyone know roughly how much a main dealer service would be on a 141 gti. Wondering is it worth going to the main dealer or an independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Does anyone know roughly how much a main dealer service would be on a 141 gti. Wondering is it worth going to the main dealer or an independent.

They tend to do good enough deals, 169 for the basic & 249 for the full service. IIRC

Around 600 a week averaged out. How much is a tank costing in a GTi now? €70 ish?

That seems like quite decent mileage.

Yea €70 to €75 on average a fill. I drive it on and it's never out of sport mode.

Speaking of park assist etc,
    A friends wife bought a brand new citroen C5 .
    I had to move it the other night and was blown away with the reversing camera set up.
    It has a birds eye view mode,something i've never seen before.

The next gen of the birds eye view is the 3d outside view that you see in the new Audis and BMWs. It's incredible. Hopefully will see some nice tech like that in the MK8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjVphbHAL0

I studied this stuff in college so I know how it works, but even still seeing in the flesh is mind blowing.

I'm doing about 350km per week so I think it'd be manageable in the GTI

I'm currently doing a shade over 400 a week in my GTI and while it's definitely more thirsty than a diesel would be I'm happy enough. Averaging 34 mpg over the 7k I've done and had a tank average 38.2 the other day so they're not too bad on juice.

A fill up is usually just shy on 70 for me, once every 10 days or so.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti/2016/seanaodh/907962

The fuel consumption isn't a massive deal, it was more there was no decent GTi's available within my budget when I bought my GTD last year, most were early spec cars with halogen lights, no ACC, no climate control etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Looking at golf R estates in the UK (2016/2017)- what are general thoughts on these? There are not many about - am I likely to loose my shirt on one? Anyone have any experience with these or own one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

voxpop wrote: »
    Looking at golf R estates in the UK (2016/2017)- what are general thoughts on these? There are not many about - am I likely to loose my shirt on one? Anyone have any experience with these or own one?

Not sure if would be desirable in resale. The main issue it looks like crap compared to hatch. On the other side Leon Cupra looks a lot better in estate form. At least hatch Cupra still looks very yummy.
    Bringing in stuff like GTis, Cupra, n30 won't make you much savings. Irish cars are not bad spec too. In a way what you will save in uk, you would save here with very low apr finance. Unless you have money for it without any finance.

Not sure if would be desirable in resale. The main issue it looks like crap compared to hatch. On the other side Leon Cupra looks a lot better in estate form. At least hatch Cupra still looks very yummy.
    Bringing in stuff like GTis, Cupra, n30 won't make you much savings. Irish cars are not bad spec too. In a way what you will save in uk, you would save here with very low apr finance. Unless you have money for it without any finance.

Yep, I made the same point here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110717548&postcount=7606

There was a guy on backroads who imported one, he didn't keep if for too long but seems to change cars frequently, there was a second owner in Mayo/Galway and he shifted after not so long also.

Dalton's have bought it as their REVO demo car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Yeah, its not really about saving money - they just arent available in Ireland. Thats the worry, in 3 years will it be unsellable?

Cupra estates seem to be similar prices and dont rate aswell from the reading im doing. Are all these fast estates just undesirable?

voxpop wrote: »
    Yeah, its not really about saving money - they just arent available in Ireland. Thats the worry, in 3 years will it be unsellable?

Cupra estates seem to be similar prices and dont rate aswell from the reading im doing. Are all these fast estates just undesirable?

I am not sure what you mean about Cupra estates, but from what I see on carzone and donedeal, there's always a few pop up and always disappear very fast. Unless the pricing on them is just stupid.
    I remember there was one Golf R estate for sale and good money a few months ago and it was hanging around donedeal for some time.

You can't really argue about taste and what each of us find better looking. Just for me personally, golfs estates look the worst out of holy trio.

As for unsellable... Not sure, but your market will be smaller for sure. Then again, when you sell cars like this, there will that one buyer who wants it. Similar like you are now. Low availability might work even to your favour. That's ofc if you selling yourself. If you plan to trade in I bet you dealer will just use it as an extra drop of lube to tickle you up the wrong way on trade in value.

Yeah it'll be less desirable when trying to sell it on again. The irish car buying public generally have never warmed to estates - the possible exception being the Audi Avants. But if you buy it for a good price in the first place (a nice bit cheaper than a hatch), then who cares, you won't lose out anyway.

There was that one white one that a guy in Galway had (a regular on Backroads)... he had it up for sale for a good while, but then again its not easy sell any of these cars privately. He also inexplicably had swapped off the 19" prets for 18" cadiz which surely didn't help in terms of window shopping appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea I'd love one, I don't think the R is a particularly good looking car in hatchback or estate form but the estate is cool to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The irish car buying public generally have never warmed to estates - the possible exception being the Audi Avants.

BMW have sold a lot of 3 and 5 Series estates. I see them just as much as Audi estates on the road.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    BMW have sold a lot of 3 and 5 Series estates. I see them just as much as Audi estates on the road.

Hmmm, relatively rare from what I see. The 3 series estate is really popular in the UK but I'd say it sells in relatively tiny numbers here.

Hmmm, relatively rare from what I see. The 3 series estate is really popular in the UK but I'd say it sells in relatively tiny numbers here.

I would not not afraid to speculate, that 90% of 131 - 171 ish BMW here had started their lives in uk.
    Estate cars is very eastern European thing. At least more then 10 years ago. Not so much here.
    I personally love fast estates and if I go Cupra instead off i30N, then it will be estate. They looks way cooler and there is always a situation when you go: feck, I wish I had estate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement