Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I agree. Estates look far nicer than saloons to me. There's something about a fast estate to me that says "I'm getting stuff done and enjoying doing it in this car" more than a saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Hmmm, relatively rare from what I see. The 3 series estate is really popular in the UK but I'd say it sells in relatively tiny numbers here.

Yeah, Ireland likes SUVs, mini-SUVs, etc. For some reason people here dont want estates - not sure why?

On the theft part - are fast estates always targets, more so that hatchback? Id planned on debadging - its just a crappy golf estate ;)

In UK golf r estates are 18-20k for 2016 - so probably around 30k euro after vrt. I dont think im saving anything by going to uk, only that they are extremely rare here.

Quite like the looks, only other real options is the cupra or a big petrol bm estate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The 3 series estate is not something that normally comes to mind when I see people talking about golf r estates or cupra estates etc, but the (6 pot petrol/diesel) BMW would defo keep up with both in the straights at least, and has a better box than the dsg. I also think they drive better than the VAG offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The R estate is nice, i thought long and hard about going for that white one but opted against it, the MK6 style rear lights and the fake exhaust tips on one side that are on all R estates were part of the reason i opted against it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I personally love fast estates and if I go Cupra instead off i30N, then it will be estate. They looks way cooler and there is always a situation when you go: feck, I wish I had estate.

Just recently picked up a Cupra estate and absolutely love it. Was driving an ancient IS220d but with 3 kids and a biking hobby, increased space was sorely needed. Thought about getting an Octavia RS estate but went Cupra instead, everything I'd watched online was positive about it. Happy out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I personally love fast estates and if I go Cupra instead off i30N,  then it will be estate. They looks way cooler and there is always a situation when you go: feck, I wish I had estate.

Just recently picked up a Cupra estate and absolutely love it. Was driving an ancient IS220d but with 3 kids and a biking hobby, increased space was sorely needed. Thought about getting an Octavia RS estate but went Cupra instead, everything I'd watched online was positive about it. Happy out. :)
    Pics please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The 3 series estate is not something that normally comes to mind when I see people talking about golf r estates or cupra estates etc, but the (6 pot petrol/diesel) BMW would defo keep up with both in the straights at least, and has a better box than the dsg. I also think they drive better than the VAG offerings.

Mate of mine bought a 141 F10 530d from UK. Really nice car, low miles around 50k and he had it in and cleared for around €24k iirc. A 335d touring would be a serious alternative/all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just be careful, Irish GTis from about early 2015 onward usually have better standard equipment than UK models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It looks like UK spec is on par now though, something to keep in mind if someone is looking for 2019 models down the line. Not sure when they changed the spec though but has digital dash and the like now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was driving in convoy with my car's twin today eastbound on the M4... 192-D Atlantic Blue GTI PP... Anyone on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

'18 Golf R or Focus RS ? Discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Depends what you want out of a car, focus will be more raw & exciting, R will be more subtle & have much much better interior quality. The mrs has a new focus ST line & I can't get over the cheapness & blandness of the interior.

OSI wrote: »
    For me now with a family, the Golf R. For me 5 years ago, probably the RS.

Interesting. What's less familial about the RS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i30N? Would be a bit slower then other two, but I bet a lot more fun, if you looking for a bit more Raw hot hatch, then good all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

i30N? Would be a bit slower then other two, but I bet a lot more fun, if you looking for a bit more Raw hot hatch, then good all rounder.

Resale trade in wise the hyundai would have a very serious drop in value compared to VW & the RS

• Advertisement

Resale trade in wise the hyundai would have a very serious drop in value compared to VW & the RS

Aye, that's why I'm looking at those 2 in particular

Leaving everything else aside I couldn’t live with a ford interior, they are a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The RS looks ridiculous imo. The ST is a nice looking car until you get into it. That said the R is a tiny bit plain, the GTI is the better looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I think the RS is a bit more special than the R. But for my age (mid 40s) it's a bit too outlandish style wise, not as crazy as the Civic type R , but close. As has been said already, R interior is way ahead which would be important too for me, but others might not care. For the younger driver, RS without a doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Leaving everything else aside I couldn’t live with a ford interior, they are a disaster.

There is ST on donedeal. Looks nice outside, but then interior looks horrible. It dated so damn fast and the car is something like 161.

• Advertisement

I find the interior layout on the Mustang is better than the Focus. Focus isn't nearly as awful as the Kuga though. I can't comment on the Focus but the Mustang is the definition of cheap plastic, can't imagine it being much better though. Ford Sync 3 is also quite an eyesore.

I'm not a fan of the exterior of the new Focus either, previous model was much nicer.

OSI wrote: »
    .......... Plus, I'd feel like a bit of knob turning up to family events in my bright blue focus with an ironing board for a spoiler and my exhaust firing off shots every time I change gear.

Is there not a canary yellow mustang turning up to them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The R should be rebranded there's too many fakes about. It's why I prefer the look of the GTI, you know exactly what it is. I prefer the look of the seats in the GTI as well.
    Couldn't see me dropping money on a 181 R unless I absolutely had to have 4 wheel drive. The extra bhp of the R can easily be achieved with a tune on the GTi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Interesting. What's less familial about the RS?
    I wanted the RS over the R but a few things made me not pick it up:
    Horrible interior
    harsh ride would be awful for long distance driving and having missus/kid in the car. Mostly the missus (the boss) would complain about this part which is probably why I didn't pick it.
    Reliability of the engines (Not sure if the mustang head gasket being put on them blowing engines was the cause of all the issues with it or it being an open deck design also, only time will tell with this).
    If I got one I'd probably buy a closed deck block as I would want to mod it.

I picked up an R but found it lacking a bit in the fun department until I modded it though.
    I wanted a manual R as I felt it would be more engaging. Standard the golf r manual shifts are pretty poor. I had to do a bit of modding to get it to where it was an enjoyable experience (short shift kit and kit to reduce slack)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Today's the day I let go of my R32 and bought a new motor:

5xsoox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I hope the R32 finds a good home, a great car.

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    I hope the R32 finds a good home, a great car.

The way I look at it, if you're buying an R32 you've got to be some sort of enthusiast, you don't buy one by accident do I hope it treats the new owner as well as it treated me.

3 years of joy I had with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

You’ll be going everywhere a lot faster now but perhaps with a bit less character.
    Wear well.

What do people think of the seats in this R? Are they aftermarket seats or did VW offer that colour?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2016-161-volkswagen-golf-r-2-0ts-dublin-fpa-201906229295236

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Not aftermarket, you can spec that colour. Actually looks better in the flesh than photos.

• Advertisement

It's always nice to see cream or tan leather. Is that an ash tray in the cupholder? Something to keep in mind, apparently smoke smell is incredibly difficult to get out.

Killinator wrote: »

5xsoox.jpg

A great car :( 11 years old and two extremely good owners. It'll be a nice buy for an enthusiast!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It's always nice to see cream or tan leather. Is that an ash tray in the cupholder? Something to keep in mind, apparently smoke smell is incredibly difficult to get out.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a travel mug to be honest. I don’t think I’d buy a smoker’s car. I can’t stand the smell.

I think the colour looks unreal. It goes together with the blue paint very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Wailin wrote: »
    Not aftermarket, you can spec that colour. Actually looks better in the flesh than photos.

No. It's aftermarket. VW have never offered leather in that colour in the R (black only).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Is that what that is? I thought it was a travel mug to be honest. I don’t think I’d buy a smoker’s car. I can’t stand the smell.

I wouldn't let that put you off, I have the ashtray in my car from new as well and I don't smoke. It's where all my petrol receipts live! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Spotted that car on carzone today alright. Would love to go for it but slightly above my budget I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Folks, bit of Golf advice needed
    I had been looking at a Golf MK7 2016 GTD. Ideally would like to stretch into 172 GTD Mk7.5. I know they are all silly money.

I have also started to look at potentially a 2018 Golf R line 2.0 150. While it ticks 95% of my boxes, my concern is in 2 or 3 years time, all garages will value it against a bread and butter 1.6 Highline whereas the GTD is almost like a separate market with totally independent residuals. What sort of money would a 2018 R Line 2.0 150 with low miles be buyable at and how much would it stand me in 2 years time with say 60,000km. Obv thats a how long is a piece of string but just based on today. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

5xsoox.jpg

What garage did it end up in?

• Advertisement

5xsoox.jpg

Welcome to the club nice looking example, anymore info on the spec ?

How much would an 11 year old R32 with 276,000km be worth?

tossy wrote: »
    Welcome to the club nice looking example, anymore info on the spec ?

Heated leather, Nav, reverse camera, dynamic lights,...
    Haven't figured out everything else in it yet, still playing around with everything.
    Gurning like an idiot Everytime I find something else nice :D

Has 18" Cadiz on it but I'll probably be looking for Pretorias instead

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How much would an 11 year old R32 with 276,000km be worth?

What it's worth and what you'd pay for it are poles apart. This country doesn't want anyone to own it unfortunately but I believe they'll advertise for between 6 and 7 thousand

Haven't figured out everything else in it yet, still playing around with everything.

There are a few nice things you can code and tweak on these with VCDS , if you need a dig out give me a shout.

See here:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mkvii-vcds-tweak-reference-thread-98034.html

tossy wrote: »
    There are a few nice things you can code and tweak on these with VCDS , if you need a dig out give me a shout.

See here:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mkvii-vcds-tweak-reference-thread-98034.html

Sweet, cheers T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

MidMan25 wrote: »

Ah Conlans in Nass, thought it might have been the Limerick branch! :(

I thought the Irish Mk7 R's came with 19" Cadiz wheels?

stamjoe wrote: »
    Ah Conlans in Nass, thought it might have been the Limerick branch! :(

Rathangan in Kildare actually, their Peugeot dealer.
    SaintsYB wrote: »
    I thought the Irish Mk7 R's came with 19" Cadiz wheels?

You are correct, they're 19"

You are correct, they're 19"

Well wear with it, lovely motor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Dealing with Mark by any chance? he seems to shift most of the fun stuff!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement