Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Dealing with Mark by any chance? he seems to shift most of the fun stuff!!

Spot on :)
    Great to deal with and didn't get the usual "the tax is very high on that now, it wouldn't be worth much" that I've gotten from others.
    He was genuinely interested in the 32 and from talking to him he's clearly a car enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Killinator wrote: »
    Heated leather, Nav, reverse camera, dynamic lights,...
    Haven't figured out everything else in it yet, still playing around with everything.
    Gurning like an idiot Everytime I find something else nice :D

Has 18" Cadiz on it but I'll probably be looking for Pretorias instead

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/wheels-golf7-volkswagen-5-spoke-r-light-alloy-wheel-set-pretoria-19-inch-vw-golf-7.htm

19" Pretorias, shipping to Ireland is only €140 :D

Killinator wrote: »
    What it's worth and what you'd pay for it are poles apart. ..........

276k kms makes it an unattractive proposition to loads of folk........even folk not put off with the motor tax rate etc etc

Augeo wrote: »
    276k kms makes it an unattractive proposition to loads of folk........even folk not put off with the motor tax rate etc etc

No arguments there, I've experienced same when I originally advertised it

But my point was more along the lines of a couple of dealers offering me €1000 to €2000 trade in price. And all they were concerned about was the tax rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I noticed on donedeal, that good few VW dealerships got Polo gti in their showrooms. Look nice, but the prices... They got white one with upgraded wheels and still with normal crapy lights - 37k++ !!!
    Second hand, 1-3 year old GTis and RS look like bargains compared to that! How could they get it so wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I noticed on donedeal, that good few VW dealerships got Polo gti in their showrooms. Look nice, but the prices... They got white one with upgraded wheels and still with normal crapy lights - 37k++ !!!
    Second hand, 1-3 year old GTis and RS look like bargains compared to that! How could they get it so wrong.
    Interestingly, the upgraded wheels push the Polo into the next tax band (so tax goes up from €280 to €390 a year) due to WLTP. That was a fun conversation with VW when I went to tax my Polo (as I had ordered before the impact of WLTP was known) :eek: As a result it also pushes the price up by €1,500, and not by the €520 that the configurator still indicates

Capture.jpg

They subsequently updated their Pricing guides as a result of our "talks" (see above), but I notice they've now removed the separate entry for the GTI with Brescia's in the latest product guide and the wheels aren't listed as an option although are still on the configurator. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Forget LED headlights, it doesn't even have dual climate. Those old school climate controls look crap! But it has keyless! Surely you'd get a year old GTI PP for €38k?

What are they smoking when speccing these things?

fletch wrote: »
    Interestingly, the upgraded wheels push the Polo into the next tax band (so tax goes up from €280 to €390 a year) due to WLTP. That was a fun conversation with VW when I went to tax my Polo (as I had ordered before the impact of WLTP was known) :eek: As a result it also pushes the price up by €1,500, and not by the €520 that the configurator still indicates

Capture.jpg

They subsequently updated their Pricing guides as a result of our "talks" (see above), but I notice they've now removed the separate entry for the GTI with Brescia's in the latest product guide and the wheels aren't listed as an option although are still on the configurator. :confused:

Holy **** lol. So buy it on standard wheels, then just order aftermarket wheels or just buy new upgraded wheels separately. Car stays in lower tax bracket and will cost you less.
    I am dreading to see this whole wltp kick off properly next year. It will be mad.
    Something tells me to get finger out and grab something 1-3 year old in hot hatch category before next year. Prices of new cars will be idiotic and older pre wltp cars will go up in price and be more attractive.
    We are going in to some really big **** storm next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Forget LED headlights, it doesn't even have dual climate. Those old school climate controls look crap! But it has keyless! Surely you'd get a year old GTI PP for €38k?

What are they smoking when speccing these things?

The standard climate controls are fine. No LED headlights is unforgivable though, they look much better and work much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Has anyone replaced a timing belt and water pump on a GTD at the main dealers lately? My car will be due one early next year, but I may go with using a good independent and use genuine parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

FYI, the new Android Auto is available. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet but it looks a lot nicer
    Untitled.png
    Untitled.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Has anyone replaced a timing belt and water pump on a GTD at the main dealers lately? My car will be due one early next year, but I may go with using a good independent and use genuine parts.

Got timing belt and water pump done on my wife's diesel A4 two years ago at our local VW/Audi garage for around €400 if I remember correctly.

We would have gone to a local indy if it was going to be too expensive at the dealer, but for that price it was a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Same. Had it done on an A4 late last year in Audi main dealers for around €400. I expect it would be a similar ballpark price for a GTD. The main dealers usually have a fixed price deal on service items like that.

fletch wrote: »
    FYI, the new Android Auto is available. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet but it looks a lot nicer
    Untitled.png
    Untitled.png

The new Apple Carplay is much improved too. I have it because i'm running the beta of the iOS updated due for release in Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I have heard all sorts of prices being quoted by main dealers, from crazy cheap as per the above poster to crazy expensive (€900) so shopping around is advised.

For comparison we are €420 all in for a Gates timing belt kit and alternator belt and a genuine VW water pump. So that will give you something to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A black 152 GTi just went past me on the road.

I'm in Fuengirola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

R.O.R wrote: »

I'm in Fuengirola!
    My wheels in Spain

Good Shout on that Android Auto update, seems a bit snappier and more responsive now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

R.O.R wrote: »

I'm in Fuengirola!

We had a situation a few years ago where we sold a Scirocco to a guy and a few weeks later the guards rang him up asking him questions about the car and its location etc. He said the car is sitting on my driveway, why do you ask. The guard said we are asking because we have reports of an identical car driving around Spain with the same reg number on it.

So the customer rang us in a panic and we had to contact the guards and show that the car we had sold was legit (which it was as it had been bought from one of your competitors) and that all was in order. I wonder was something similar going on with that GTI you saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone got a rooted phone did you try carstream on the new software? Might try and get it running tomorrow..

I have heard all sorts of prices being quoted by main dealers, from crazy cheap as per the above poster to crazy expensive (€900) so shopping around is advised.

For comparison we are €420 all in for a Gates timing belt kit and alternator belt and a genuine VW water pump. So that will give you something to go on.

Thanks George, and to the other posters above, are Gates the OEM manufacturer do you know?

€400 at the dealers seems very cheap, if that was available it would be a no brainer as they say but I would equally be happy to pay that to an independent as long as decent parts were used.

Since Android Auto was mentioned, it reminded me. Mine stopped working in my car (16 GTI), it would flash up "USB: device not supported". I assumed there was something wrong with the USB port or cable, but my girlfriends phone worked fine.

I had to disable USB debugging under Developer Options to get it going again. No idea why it suddenly stopped working (literally as I was driving) but just in case it comes up for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Phone rooted, carstream installed, YouTube working on latest Android auto, have to say Nobbys exhaust notes sound great through the speakers...

IMG-20190808-190659.jpg

IMG-20190808-190725.jpg

IMG-20190808-190827.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thanks George, and to the other posters above, are Gates the OEM manufacturer do you know?

€400 at the dealers seems very cheap, if that was available it would be a no brainer as they say but I would equally be happy to pay that to an independent as long as decent parts were used.

They are €449 at a main dealer including the water pump but not the aux belt. You get 12 months roadside assist with the the job too which has some kind of value.

The OEM belts on those are a mix of Gates, Contitect and Dayco depending on the production date.

• Advertisement

They are €449 at a main dealer including the water pump but not the aux belt. You get 12 months roadside assist with the the job too which has some kind of value.

The OEM belts on those are a mix of Gates, Contitect and Dayco depending on the production date.

I was told by a VW tech that the GTD has a regulated water pump which are more expensive and also requires more time as the system has to be vacuum filled then bled via diagnostics and that some dealers charge €750 for this. In that case George's price of €420 would be reasonable.

Yeah, there is a control shroud on the coolant pump, there's also 2x electronic pumps that need to be bled through a tester. The same applies to the 1.6 engine and lower power 2.0's too though.

I'm away from VW a while now but we still offered them at €449 anyway, there's not much money in them at dealer level at that price but it's a bit of a loss leader, you might gain a customer with them or sell a few extras or whatever.

From the Autostadt group on Facebook. Clearest images of the Mk8 yet.

q4BcucJ.png

Side profile looks a bit off!

Doesn't look too bad, front looks a bit long on the side profile.

Nice wheels too. Interior images look alright, the images of the Leon interior are white different to what we've seen with the Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Side profile looks a bit off!

Looks like they just grafted the Mk8 front and rear to the existing Mk7 side profile in that rendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

What is the recommended mileage/time for a timing belt replacement?

Note, my car is the 1.4tsi variant of the Mk7

210k kms, no age limit.

theintern wrote: »
    From the Autostadt group on Facebook. Clearest images of the Mk8 yet.

q4BcucJ.png

It's a golf all right. Don't really know of I like it or not. The basic model will look a bit sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad, front looks a bit long on the side profile.

Nice wheels too. Interior images look alright, the images of the Leon interior are white different to what we've seen with the Golf.

Could you throw up a pic or two of the Leon?

Could you throw up a pic or two of the Leon?

Don't remember where I saw them, came up as a suggested article on Google. If you search you'll probably see them. Fairly recent if I remember. Not sure if they're 100% genuine but from what I remember the interior design was different Vs the Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2020-seat-leon-rendering.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Thanks guys. Ugh not sure what I think of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'm seeing a mk7 golf with a scirocco front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I don't know about you guys but I much prefer the look of that Leon over the images of the Golf.

• Advertisement

Here’s a strange one.
    This is a car I very briefly considered myself back in February. A SEAT main dealer had it. Very high spec, looked a minter, hence the temptation. Numbers were mad though so I didn’t pursue it.

Anyway here it is a few months later with a few more miles, looking a bit the worse for wear and going for auction! Strange.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0-tsi-manual-6speed-fwd-245/22622485

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Here’s a strange one.
    This is a car I very briefly considered myself back in February. A SEAT main dealer had it. Very high spec, looked a minter, hence the temptation. Numbers were mad though so I didn’t pursue it.

Anyway here it is a few months later with a few more miles, looking a bit the worse for wear and going for auction! Strange.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0-tsi-manual-6speed-fwd-245/22622485

I wonder if it was one of the”high performance” cars that CAB took in raids in Dublin a few months back?

Here’s a strange one.

It's a pity to see it looking so rough. It has a lovely spec on it. Those seats are very cool looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Here’s a strange one.

mcCoys? If so the same car was still there in. April when I picked up my Leon there.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    mcCoys? If so the same car was still there in. April when I picked up my Leon there.

Yes that’s them.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

What is it about the majority of sellers not being able to post one single decent photo of a car when it's being advertised? I came across one the other day of a wheel that was completely blurry, literally no attempt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Much needed wash after this week's rain. UPs are brutal for spraying water and mud up the back of the car. Must be the wheels being right on the back corners.

7-D897706-EE57-4-A96-B33-E-122367-E8-DBA6.jpg
    upload images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That up is a cool car. Great choice.

• Advertisement

Thanks! It's brilliant fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement