Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone with a Golf GTI ever attempt to plug out the soundakator. Read online in a few places it can simply be plugged out under the bonnet. I am wondering does it really only make a difference when in sports mode or does it make much of a difference to normal mode for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone with a Golf GTI ever attempt to plug out the soundakator. Read online in a few places it can simply be plugged out under the bonnet. I am wondering does it really only make a difference when in sports mode or does it make much of a difference to normal mode for example.

I just coded mine to fully off. Car was noisy enough without it plus they get loose time and make a horrible rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have registered for car net on my phone. I was trying to send a map using the we connect app but it doesn't show on my nav. When I try to go into car net all I get is "car net:error".

I have tried resetting it through the car but still get the same message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

tossy wrote: »
    I just coded mine to fully off. Car was noisy enough without it plus they get loose time and make a horrible rattle.

Good move

First thing I did when we got the R Wagon was Revo Stage 1 software
    Second thing was code out stop/start
    Third thing was disable the soundaktor

All done within the first 4 hours of ownership :pac:

Good move

First thing I did when we got the R Wagon was Revo Stage 1 software
    Second thing was code out stop/start
    Third thing was disable the soundaktor

All done within the first 4 hours of ownership :pac:

I did the soundaktor and stop start first day, i must look into that Revo stuff ..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I have registered for car net on my phone. I was trying to send a map using the we connect app but it doesn't show on my nav. When I try to go into car net all I get is "car net:error".

Check out Waze for a map app, saved me a few points Friday....turned on car net once I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Can the stop start be coded just to ‘remember’ how it was set before the engine was switched off. I know it can on some cars. I find that better option when possible so you if wanted only have to switch it off once but equally could switch it back on at some point if desired. But I agree having to switch it off every time you start the car is annoying.

No. Just coded to off.

Check out Waze for a map app, saved me a few points Friday....turned on car net once I think...

I agree that car net isn't great. However, as it is a new car I would expect everything to be working correctly. Waze is an excellent app. Can it be run through Android Auto do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I agree that car net isn't great. However, as it is a new car I would expect everything to be working correctly. Waze is an excellent app. Can it be run through Android Auto do you know?

Yea works fine through Android auto, did you update to the latest version of android auto last week. It's a lot slicker.
    If you want YouTube working (it's add free in the car for some reason) you'll need to root your phone as Google have 3rd party apps blocked.

• Advertisement

Yea works fine through Android auto, did you update to the latest version of android auto last week. It's a lot slicker.
    If you want YouTube working (it's add free in the car for some reason) you'll need to root your phone as Google have 3rd party apps blocked.

Yeah I have updated it on my phone, but haven't been near the car to use it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283163.msg2609343#msg2609343

Spotted this on another forum. Might be interesting because it's come up on this thread before. There's an Irish poster who had an accident in his GTI, with an undeclared remap and pedal box and both were noticed by the VW garage when the car went there post accident.

Whenever it comes up on this thread or elsewhere on boards, there's always a lot of posters that argue that it wouldn't be noticed in the case of an accident, but this is a first hand account of the garage spotting it and reporting it to the insurer. The insurer oddly enough didn't seem to care in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I don't get why the dealer had to inform the insurance company but good to know they didn't go to town on him!

I had an accident about 8 years ago in a MK5 2.0 TDi, I personally didn't map the car but it was definitely done before I owned it. It was a ropey example if I'm honest and had been clocked before I owned it. The car was assessed and written off, I got the €7k payout for the value of the car. The assessor didn't really give much time checking it over and I was glad with the settlement. If we were talking about a bigger claim maybe it would have been a more stringent assessment.

It was then sold to a salvage company and was clocked (again) and back on donedeal again about 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If it's a second hand car, would they know you mapped it or could you play dumb?

A friend's A6 TDI was mapped, I'd say a lot of UK diesels are. It would be a shame if they were on the hook for a claim for something someone else did. Dealer didn't disclose it to them.

Although a GTI PP map would put it in line with Cupra power. I wouldn't have an issue disclosing it if it was a fair quote.

theintern wrote: »
    http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283163.msg2609343#msg2609343

Spotted this on another forum. Might be interesting because it's come up on this thread before. There's an Irish poster who had an accident in his GTI, with an undeclared remap and pedal box and both were noticed by the VW garage when the car went there post accident.

Whenever it comes up on this thread or elsewhere on boards, there's always a lot of posters that argue that it wouldn't be noticed in the case of an accident, but this is a first hand account of the garage spotting it and reporting it to the insurer. The insurer oddly enough didn't seem to care in this case.

Dealer was some bad b*astard to report them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

New alloys got today

2hf29sj.jpg

The Cadiz had begun to grow on me but I think the Prets just look much more aggressive and racier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Nice... where did you buy the prets?

QQ on the Prets actually - can they be got in black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

CM Wheels seem to have a good rep on the quality of wheels on a few forums.

https://cmwheels.com/?s=Pret&post_type=product

Got them from a place in Dublin (Hotline Wheels), same ones as the CM wheels.

They're actually the reps, I've read the OEM version are a bit soft and way too expensive.
    I can see any difference between these and the OEM visually and they don't feel any heavier than the Cadiz.

I think they come in silver, gun metal and gloss black.

Killinator wrote: »
    Got them from a place in Dublin (Hotline Wheels), same ones as the CM wheels.

They're actually the reps, I've read the OEM version are a bit soft and way too expensive.
    I can see any difference between these and the OEM visually and they don't feel any heavier than the Cadiz.

I think they come in silver, gun metal and gloss black.

Very tempted by a set of these too. They look the business in silver. Because they're a bit cheaper than OEM wheels and not diamond cut they might help soothe my OCD about my alloys..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Does your phone connect to cars WiFi?

Will definitely get my wheels refurbished in gloss black one day. They are in too good nick to refurb now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

How much are genuine Pretorias going for?

Hmmm. The reps are £2k so by the time you convert it, it's about 800 euro more expensive for the genuine ones. Mad price either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

2k for Pretoria reps!!!
    VWR racingline Cup editions for about €1200 (18”) or €1500 (19”) instead or even cheaper if you go with their OEM.

Seeing 19" Prets selling for €3,000+ is mad money, you can get proper aftermarket wheels for that. I'd rather have Volk TE37!

You can get nice BBS or OZ wheels starting from around €1,200. Not sure if they're any use but they're nice enough aftermarket wheels without spending several grand or going cheap like those Wolf wheels.

It's €360+ VAT for 19" Prets on the VW site there, €1,700 Inc VAT. Good luck getting them though, I don't think VW dealers want to get any parts for you, you'd need to try an indy garage. Cheaper than the replicas.

Personally, I think there are very few aftermarket wheels that look as look as OEM ones. That being said, like Davey said you can get nice ones for €1,200 so even if they aren't as nice as Prets (which is obviously subjective), you're saving a ton on them.

• Advertisement

I paid about 750 all in for my Prets reps (19") fitted and all, wouldn't have spent anything like 2k!!!!

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Hmmm. The reps are £2k so by the time you convert it, it's about 800 euro more expensive for the genuine ones. Mad price either way.

Where's 2k coming from? They are £500 for a set in the link above.

Whoops, that's my bad. I thought it was £500 per wheel. I wouldn't want to have been ordering them and having 16 wheels show up haha.

Does your phone connect to cars WiFi?

Yes it does. Setup a hotspot.

Tidy looking R estate, a poster on here was looking for one recently
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r/22679961

hooch-85 wrote: »

Tempted ?

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Tempted ?

I'm always tempted, I wouldn't go for an estate though.

Where's 2k coming from? They are £500 for a set in the link above.

Ah, wheels are usually priced individually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Strong money though for a private sale 3 year old, no?

Probably is alright. I haven't done the sums one bringing in though so it might not be too far off

Price is probably not far off the going rate for a good one, it's the private sale part that will hurt him. Plus people in this country rarely see the value in a good car even among the enthusiastic community so many people don't see merits of paying the going rate for a good car.

• Advertisement

I know they have to be imported and all but you'd get a hatch from a main dealer for less with a bit of warranty and finance options, I'd say that would be a hard sell, as nice as it is.

Also there's a 2016 GTI on Matador tyres, tut tut!

DaveyDave wrote: »

Also there's a 2016 GTI on Matador tyres, tut tut!

Blasphemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Just got my GTD remapped with the Revo stage 1. Thanks Ciaran! It’s just torque upon torque.... i thought it would be frenetic re power deliver but it’s really top notch. Got my dsg / water pump / timing belt all done at the same time. Cars a keeper and it doesn’t stand out like the Gti with all the red go faster stripes etc. Stonking motorway performance. If you have a Gtd and it’s a keeper well I’d be doing this work, not cheap but feck it.

Where did you get it done? Stage 1 makes a nice difference alright but at the same time they are still a diesel, I know I'd prefer a stage 1 GTi any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I currently have a high power diesel that’s had a great remap and wile it’s very impressive it’s not a patch on a similar power petrol. In saying that if you need the economy it’s a great compromise.

The 435d? My mate has a tuned one too, got a spin in it last weekend, very impressive to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

For those looking at sourcing a set of pretorias, I just saw a genuine set go up on Autostadt Marketplace - refurbed to gloss black. €1750 with tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Where did you get it done? Stage 1 makes a nice difference alright but at the same time they are still a diesel, I know I'd prefer a stage 1 GTi any day

Larkin Automotive Finglas- Ciaran the owner a top bloke and all my stuff will be going thru him going forward - and I know my stuff

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Larkin Automotive Finglas- Ciaran the owner a top bloke and all my stuff will be going thru him going forward - and I know my stuff

So it was a custom remap then not a Revo map. Dalton's in portlaoise and Golden's in Cork are the only Revo agents on the south as far as I know.

Edit just checked their page and see they are doing Revo remaps, wasn't aware of this��

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Just got my GTD remapped with the Revo stage 1. Thanks Ciaran! It’s just torque upon torque.... i thought it would be frenetic re power deliver but it’s really top notch. Got my dsg / water pump / timing belt all done at the same time. Cars a keeper and it doesn’t stand out like the Gti with all the red go faster stripes etc. Stonking motorway performance. If you have a Gtd and it’s a keeper well I’d be doing this work, not cheap but feck it.

How did you approach the whole insurance situation? Tell them or keep it on the DL?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement