Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just got my insurance renewal, 535 on a 172 GTI with fully comp, window insurance and No claims bonus insured. 20+ years no claims, anyone doing better than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I doubt it, lock it down! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just got my insurance renewal, 535 on a 172 GTI with fully comp, window insurance and No claims bonus insured. 20+ years no claims, anyone doing better than that?

What company was that with drunkmonkey?

AXA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Try post insurance. Brother got a great pice on I30n .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Like many, I don't get insurance companies. Never pay the figure in your initial renewal anyway, that's for sure.

Mine came through a few weeks ago. €625. So I entered my details in all the other usual suspects and most were actually more expensive but one came back cheaper at €575.

So I called my current crowd and explained:

1. I have recently changed address.
    2. I'm getting a cheaper quote elsewhere.

He tapped away on his keyboard for a minute and told me the address change actually increased premium slightly to €634! But... somehow I qualify for a 10% discount so that brings me back to €575. Same figure as my cheapest quote elsewhere. What a coincidence!

So I asked him if I never bothered ringing and just coughed up the original price, would they have refunded me the 10%? He obviously didn't have a straight answer for that...

They're out and out gangsters IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My renewal was nearly €100 more than doing it as a new customer, the renewal was €1,100.

I’ve been with 123 for years as they were always the cheapest (often by a distance) on the mk5 Gti.

I wasn’t even going to bother the insurance quoting roulette but just said I would and to my astonishment a lot of companies, some who have come back with everything from mad above 1k per year quotes to refusal to quote, were cheaper. I’d say aviva never quoted me less than 1k and they were around 700 this year, FBD were similar, Axa a little more and similar to 123. Liberty refused to quote online so went no further but then Allianz were 622 for their maximum cover policy.

If I went for a like for like policy to the ones I’ve always had it would have been around the 600 but the fully protected no claims was so little extra and the quote was still a good bit less than the others (which didn’t have full protection) that I went for it. The only slightly unusual thing compared to other policies is that your spouse is not automatically covered and has to be added as a named driver which could in some situation be a bit of a pain.

I’ve never had any issue insuring the Gti and always appear to be paying less than friends/family with similar driving history but driving much more run of the mill cars. I paid 470 one year with 123 but and was paying mid 500’s for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

I was 775 to insure my R32 which was a 3.2 2008 worth 9,000 and now I'm paying marginally less, 750 to insure a 2015 R worth 27,000.

Previous to that I was paying 600 on a 1.6 2004 avenis and before that I couldn't get insured on a 1.2 2002 punto after going from a 2005 GTI where I paid 1,100

The GTI, Punto and Avensis were all within the space of 2 years, and it still jumped madly.

Never claimed and currently 11 years driving exp

It's roulette!
    There's no consistency whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Other than the colour, and the fact that it's sitting in the yard for 2 years is there anything wrong with that GTi in Western Motors? What's the spec level like?

Other than the colour, and the fact that it's sitting in the yard for 2 years is there anything wrong with that GTi in Western Motors? What's the spec level like?

Big spec on it. Pro Nav, sunroof, dynaudio, keyless... maybe a few other bits.

I see they've dropped another few K off the asking. Nothing wrong with it at all afaik, if you're happy with the colour. Looks better in the metal imo than those poor enough photos on carzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I brought it for a test drive a few months ago.

I'd echo what Joe said. It has a great spec (albeit only having the standard GTI 18" wheels) and it definitely looks better in real life than in the photos. But in saying that, the colour could really affect resale value when you go to change it.

Has anyone had any issues with Android Auto since updating to the new version? Twice now it's happended for me in which I've connected the phone via USB, but the car doesn't lauch Android Auto. There is no error message or anything. The phone still charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Has anyone had any issues with Android Auto since updating to the new version? Twice now it's happended for me in which I've connected the phone via USB, but the car doesn't lauch Android Auto. There is no error message or anything. The phone still charges.
    A few niggles alright...when I ask to play a song, it's defaulting to Google Play Music rather than Spotify...not having your issue though (although I think that's more a Google Assistant issue as it only started to happen in the last day or so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Yes, for me it would continuously connect, disconnect, connect, etc. I changed cables, uninstalled, reinstalled, changed all settings and it made no difference.

I then downloaded a Mirrorlink app called RockScout to see if that would play, and for some reason, installing that seemed to fix Android Auto, it now connects immediately, as before. Wish I knew why!

• Advertisement

I brought it for a test drive a few months ago.

I'd echo what Joe said. It has a great spec (albeit only having the standard GTI 18" wheels) and it definitely looks better in real life than in the photos. But in saying that, the colour could really affect resale value when you go to change it.

PCP should protect against the resale value presuming it's the same as one of a different colour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

What would be a realistic price for it? It's sitting there a long time. I'd also try getting a set of 19's thrown in as part of any deal, those wheels do nothing for it.

yeah, in a PCP arrangement the GMFV will be set the same as any other. Colour has no bearing. But at the end of the 3 years, your equity might not be as good as someone who rocks up with the equivalent car in grey.... It is "used" now though too so the PCP figures/APR probably aren't as attractive as on a new one.

I'd say the lads in Western will turn off the lights and hide if they see you coming back in with it, they must be sick of looking at it :pac:

hooch-85 wrote: »
    What would be a realistic price for it? It's sitting there a long time. I'd also try getting a set of 19's thrown in as part of any deal, those wheels do nothing for it.

It's a 171 or older in a hard to shift color, you'd want to be taking the drive until it falls apart attitude when buying it. Realistic I'd say 25 you won't get it for that.

It's a 171 or older in a hard to shift color, you'd want to be taking the drive until it falls apart attitude when buying it. Realistic I'd say 25 you won't get it for that.

That's complete nonsense to be fair. Colour aside (and thats a subjective thing - someone will like it) - it's a perfectly good car with a very good spec. They'd set fire to it before selling it for 25k lol.

Loads of cars sit around for ages in fields/docks/warehouses and are sold as "new" cars and no one is any the wiser. This particular car just has a bit of notoriety - but only to the anoraks on this thread! Many punters will rock into the dealers and will have no idea it has been there that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

It's a 191. The warranty will run from the date it was registered, and it's in a VW main dealer. As long as it's well serviced before sale it'll be fine, and you have plenty of time to come back to them with any issues.

It's also a MK7.5. Private sale 2015 MK7s are being listed for around the figure you've mentioned. 25 is dreamland for what is officially a nearly new 7.5 with a high spec.

theintern wrote: »
    It's a 191. The warranty will run from the date it was registered, and it's in a VW main dealer. As long as it's well serviced before sale it'll be fine, and you have plenty of time to come back to them with any issues.

It's also a MK7.5. Private sale 2015 MK7s are being listed for around the figure you've mentioned. 25 is dreamland for what is officially a nearly new 7.5 with a high spec.

Sorry ya see the head unit it's a 172 then? It's not a new car the plate might be but the car isn't.

Sorry ya see the head unit it's a 172 then? It's not a new car the plate might be but the car isn't.

I mean as said above, that's well known. But what difference does it make? As long as it's serviced right it should be fine. Not many cars would be lying around as long as this one has been, but plenty of cars sit on forecourts for a while before selling.

172/171? What are you talking about? The car is registered as a 191, the clue is in the plate stuck to the front of it in the photos. It's a facelift MK7.5 which sat in a showroom unregistered for most of its life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the being a 172 from the head unit. It might be sitting around since the 172 plate but at the end of the day, it's the year on the plate that counts for 99% of people.

The only thing I'd be asking them to do with it is do a service on it before buying which they probably have been doing to be fair.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    172/171? What are you talking about? The car is registered as a 191, the clue is in the plate stuck to the front of it in the photos. It's a facelift MK7.5 which sat in a showroom unregistered for most of its life so far.

The date of manufacturer. It's under the hood, it no more says 191 than the man in the moon. It's not worth 191 money, well I wouldn't pay it for a car built 2 years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think 19” Brescia alloys would lift its appearance hugely. The standard alloys on the 7.5 are worse than the pre face lift.
    If you went in and told them you knew how long they have it I’m sure a deal could be done but no way are they going to sell it as cheap as a 2017 car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

PCP should protect against the resale value presuming it's the same as one of a different colour

Does this statement even make any sense? If the GMFV is 16k, you'd be hoping to do a lot better than that anyway. Let's say a grey one is worth 24k, you might get 21k because of the marmite colour. GMFV doesn't even come into it. Or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The date of manufacturer. It's under the hood, it no more says 191 than the man in the moon. It's not worth 191 money, well I wouldn't pay it for a car built 2 years earlier.

It's a slight anomaly for a GTI as they are a popular model and built to order but plenty of newly registered cars are 12+ months old when first registered, it's really not too unusual. The only thing unusual about this one is it's an ugly colour so people can recognise it and make a song and dance over it.

Sure what difference does it actually make?

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Does this statement even make any sense? If the GMFV is 16k, you'd be hoping to do a lot better than that anyway. Let's say a grey one is worth 24k, you might get 21k because of the marmite colour. GMFV doesn't even come into it. Or am I missing something here?

"Worth" - GMFV = equity

• Advertisement

"Worth" - GMFV = equity

Irrelevant, all GMFV does is ensure you get at least that amount, even an absolutely terrible colour is gonna fetch a bit more than GMFV after 3 years.

I don't think the colour is that bad, the stock wheels aren't awful either. They look better in the flesh but Brescia are nicer. If the price was right I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. Although I'd perfer a white one, indium grey would be the second choice.

As long as it's serviced properly I don't see an issue. I don't know how well the deep cell battery would hold up sitting though, may have shortened life?

the wheels are doing it more of an injustice than the colour imo. A set of 19’s would do wonders for it.

Yea the colours not bad... struggling to find any pics with different alloys on it...

VQAAAgM26uA-960.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Lads this might be a stupid question but I haven’t figured out although I haven’t tried too hard. Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG it has two Paddles on the steering wheel which is straight forward there is the + and - as you would expect but what does the ‘off’ beside the plus on the right paddle mean or do. To me the only thing that paddle does is change up the gears so not sure what off is referring too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think the colour is that bad, the stock wheels aren't awful either. They look better in the flesh but Brescia are nicer. If the price was right I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. Although I'd perfer a white one, indium grey would be the second choice.

As long as it's serviced properly I don't see an issue. I don't know how well the deep cell battery would hold up sitting though, may have shortened life?

I'd rather that brown than white to be honest. White to me says a car is driving straight back to Rathkeale. It was nice a decade ago but it's been done to death imo.

However on the reg vs actual reg debate, when buying a car, while its reg is 191, it should get an uplift for the fact it has forecourt miles & a discount due to the older tech. I'd price it as an equivalent 181.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CIP4 wrote: »
    Lads this might be a stupid question but I haven’t figured out although I haven’t tried too hard. Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG it has two Paddles on the steering wheel which is straight forward there is the + and - as you would expect but what does the ‘off’ beside the plus on the right paddle mean or do. To me the only thing that paddle does is change up the gears so not sure what off is referring too ?

It's for if you are in D and down shift to overtake etc using the - paddle, downshifting reverts to manual mode for a period of time.

So say you tap the - paddle to do a sporty downshift to overtake, when you have finished your overtake, you press and hold the + paddle to go back to the gear you were in and holding the paddle turns off the manual mode that was force selected by downshifting with the paddle, otherwise you would have to shift from D to S and back to D to revert from forcefully selecting manual mode.

Yeah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Thanks TFB get what you mean. If you downshift and don’t change after a period of time it goes back into auto mode itself anyway once the gear stick isn’t in manual mode. I haven’t really used the paddles that much so far. Would go between D/S a bit by just pulling back the lever find that useful for overtaking etc.

Found this on the web

907cfdfd-e4ee-482d-8cf0-28751c83edad?size=640x480&quality=80

9c6e1251-2d8b-4a87-adcc-6513f83e9d30?size=640x480&quality=80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's for if you are in D and down shift to overtake etc using the - paddle, downshifting reverts to manual mode for a period of time.

So say you tap the - paddle to do a sporty downshift to overtake, when you have finished your overtake, you press and hold the + paddle to go back to the gear you were in and holding the paddle turns off the manual mode that was force selected by downshifting with the paddle, otherwise you would have to shift from D to S and back to D to revert from forcefully selecting manual mode.

Yeah :)

Easier to flick the gear stick across to manual and straight back to D to get back to auto mode IMO.

Yea the colours not bad... struggling to find any pics with different alloys on it...

VQAAAgM26uA-960.jpg

God I'd take the standard alloys over those all day every day. I don't understand gold alloys. Each to their own but that photo gave me a visceral reaction.

However on the reg vs actual reg debate, when buying a car, while its reg is 191, it should get an uplift for the fact it has forecourt miles & a discount due to the older tech.

It doesn't have older tech though, it has the current Golf tech.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Irrelevant, all GMFV does is ensure you get at least that amount, even an absolutely terrible colour is gonna fetch a bit more than GMFV after 3 years.

It's not irrelevant, I'm patiently explaining to you where the GMFV comes into it which is the question that you asked.

It's not irrelevant, I'm patiently explaining to you where the GMFV comes into it which is the question that you asked.

How is it relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Here’s a strange one.
    This is a car I very briefly considered myself back in February. A SEAT main dealer had it. Very high spec, looked a minter, hence the temptation. Numbers were mad though so I didn’t pursue it.

Anyway here it is a few months later with a few more miles, looking a bit the worse for wear and going for auction! Strange.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0-tsi-manual-6speed-fwd-245/22622485

They bought it back?
    https://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2367784&r=s.php%3Fm%3D93%26o%3D812%26f%3D1%26yx%3D2018%26yn%3D2018%26g%3D0

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Ah there it is, the classic salesman reflection in touchscreen picture :pac:

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Nice looking car and spec but strong enough money given there are a few niggles? Seems odd they bought it back. Outside the VW network too.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable buying that car now with it being up for auction only a few months after it selling and now being up for sale again.

Probably not a forgiving 30,000km either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I happened to watch this video from Darkside performance this evening and thought it might be of interest to a few here.
    At around the 10 minute mark the topic of dyno results come up relating to the emissions fix, the standard pre fix map and a claimed 230bhp map.

The gtd in the video is owned by someone from Ireland (could be up the north) and is now running 286bhp with a number of mods it's a 2015 model with apparently 110k miles on the clock and had started to show signs of wear on the rod bearings.

Before any mods,
    It made:
    170bhp on the emission fix map
    177bhp on the original factory map
    188bhp on the claimed 230bhp map
    and Darkside got it to nearly 210bhp without messing about too much. In the video it's said 215bhp or thereabouts is achievable.

If anyone knows the car/owner I'd be very interested to hear via pm who did the claimed 230bhp map that made 188bhp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement