Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That’s a Mk7 Golf so wouldn’t have been subject to the emissions fix.

As it happens I’ve driven this car a few weeks ago.

I don’t know who did the original map but it is worth pointing out that there are plenty of software options on these for a safe and reliable 230-240bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That’s a Mk7 Golf so wouldn’t have been subject to the emissions fix.

As it happens I’ve driven this car a few weeks ago.

I don’t know who did the original map but it is worth pointing out that there are plenty of software options on these for a safe and reliable 230-240bhp.

It must have been a software update map they were on about so.

Will they make that sort of power with the dpf ensemble in situ George?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do many mapping places have a dyno or is VAG stuff genuinely set and forget, no tweaking on a laptop between dyno runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Do many mapping places have a dyno or is VAG stuff genuinely set and forget, no tweaking on a laptop between dyno runs?

A few have dynos and will do custom maps or they'll use them to prove a pretty generic map is making the claimed power by doing one run. However most doing generic maps don't bother with dynos.

Joe Power has a dyno
    Torquetronix have one
    Autotune in Ballymena have one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It must have been a software update map they were on about so.

Will they make that sort of power with the dpf ensemble in situ George?

Yes they will. With decent software they are very impressive to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Usually I'd be sceptical about claims like "1 of a kind" in DD ads, but this one might be warranted.

Stage 2, 480hp Golf R in Nardo Grey for sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-r-1-of-a-kind/22797358

Seems for sale in Meath, but on a UK plate.

I'd love to get to listen to the call to the insurance company when you try get a quote on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

theintern wrote: »
    Usually I'd be sceptical about claims like "1 of a kind" in DD ads, but this one might be warranted.

Stage 2, 480hp Golf R in Nardo Grey for sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-r-1-of-a-kind/22797358

Seems for sale in Meath, but on a UK plate.

I'd love to get to listen to the call to the insurance company when you try get a quote on it.

There's no way he's getting 480 on stage 2 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Can you actually buy those P Zeros or do you need to do the white lettering yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

A few have dynos and will do custom maps or they'll use them to prove a pretty generic map is making the claimed power by doing one run. However most doing generic maps don't bother with dynos.

Joe Power has a dyno
    Torquetronix have one
    Autotune in Ballymena have one too.

I had mine tuned by AP Performance in Galway and it made 233 bhp and 353 ft lb on his dyno dynamics dyno.
    As George says they are quite impressive after a good map.

otherwise you would have to shift from D to S and back to D to revert from forcefully selecting manual mode.

)

If you shift up/down in manual mode with the paddles it'll go back to Auto after a while or as you said you can hold + to switch back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Spotted a lovely Polo GTI in QuickPark last week. I have to say, they seriously look the business in person, especially with the LEDs and the Brescias.

Anyone know if a 65" TV fits in a 3 door golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It should in the boot with back seat down.

OSI wrote: »
    Might have to take it out of the box. Helped my friend home with his 55" previously and it just about fit with the seats down.

Cheers,
    Might just have to get it delivered.
    Rather not risk it cracking out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

It does but without box and stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A bit overkill for an infotainement upgrade isn't it? Don't think even Tesla are going that big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

For any GTD owners out there .....got the Revo stage one remap. Just makes a great car even better . Torque city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

What type of figures now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Wailin wrote: »
    What type of figures now?

Allegedly 230bhp but you won’t be going there as the power band way too narrow like all diesels - it’s the mid range punch and general pick up is just so much improved . A punchy little car to start with but now serious punch. DSG gear change much smoother . It’s no Gti nor does it aspires to be but as a glorified Derv it is a winner with this remap. Not cheap but worth every cent imo and I have driven lots of motors in my day. Did a 160km round trip today from B roads to motorways and 46mpg with no horses spared .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's good to rejuvenate the car and rekindle the interest. Sounds like a great upgrade.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Allegedly 230bhp but you won’t be going there as the power band way too narrow like all diesels - it’s the mid range punch and general pick up is just so much improved . A punchy little car to start with but now serious punch. DSG gear change much smoother . It’s no Gti nor does it aspires to be but as a glorified Derv it is a winner with this remap. Not cheap but worth every cent imo and I have driven lots of motors in my day. Did a 160km round trip today from B roads to motorways and 46mpg with no horses spared .

How much was it if you don't mind me asking? Does it take long to get done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How much was it if you don't mind me asking? Does it take long to get done?
    It’s all on the website https://www.onlyrevo.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Just bought a cupra - thanks for the suggestions on this thread. What should i be doing? Ceramic coating? Odbd changes? Mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

A good place to start is posting some pictures :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Any battery recommendations for a 1.4tsi start/stop? I'm thinking this one from micksgarage, never replaced a car battery before but doesn't seem difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You'd get one from a dealer for that price, VW branded but it'll be an Exide or Yuasa.

The new battery will need to be coded to the car too. It'll work without coding but you should be telling the car it has a new battery to make sure it isn't getting over/ under charged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You'd get one from a dealer for that price, VW branded but it'll be an Exide or Yuasa.

The new battery will need to be coded to the car too. It'll work without coding but you should be telling the car it has a new battery to make sure it isn't getting over/ under charged etc.

Oh I didn't know about the coding, that might explain the 100 euro charge from VW to install it. Is this something that can only be done by VW?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Benzino wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know about the coding, that might explain the 100 euro charge from VW to install it. Is this something that can only be done by VW?

No, someone with VCDS can code it up too.

Anyone here driving the Cupra ST heading towards Woodies in Lucan? Seen it today and a few days ago around around 7:30.

Also saw an R32 as I was driving past the Penny Hill. Nice grumble off it cruising past. Hopefully it's looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

How easy is it to replace the battery in a 2013 gtd key ?
    Also what type of battery does it take ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

How easy is it to replace the battery in a 2013 gtd key ?
    Also what type of battery does it take ?

It takes about 10 seconds. Prise the key apart with a coin (put the coin into where the flip blade flicks out and twist). It's a CR2025 battery, can get them in any chemist/supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone here driving the Cupra ST heading towards Woodies in Lucan? Seen it today and a few days ago around around 7:30.

Also saw an R32 as I was driving past the Penny Hill. Nice grumble off it cruising past. Hopefully it's looked after.
    does be a few around the general area. i Suppose it helps when McCoys is so close!

Booked the car in for a service and they emailed back saying to bring the service plan document but I don't recall having one, plan was thrown in with the car. I had a bit of pushback when it was serviced last time as they tried charging me for it, it took several times for them to update their system with the car having a service plan.

They quoted me €69 for the pollen filter, which I believe is under the service plan along with brake fluids for year 3. Details are scarce though, would like to have a trouble free service this time.

Sounds like the sales dept have made a balls of registering your service plan. They'll usually ask you to bring in proof of the plan (which you invariably dont have), to save a dispute on the day.

Best thing to do if you dont have documentation is to ask the service advisor to view the cars service history, see where the last service was charged to and this one is getting charged the same way, they'll be able to see whatever **** up happened the last time that way.

Pollen and brake fluid change are in the service plan. Pollen at 24 months and brake fluid at 36.

Update on this,
    no is the answer!
    Managed to find the roof rack keys so it went on the roof.
    I wouldnt fit by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Update on this,
    no is the answer!
    Managed to find the roof rack keys so it went on the roof.
    I wouldnt fit by a long shot.

You transported a 65" TV on the roof of your car?!! :eek:

You transported a 65" TV on the roof of your car?!! :eek:

It was new in the box :pac:
    And on the roof racks.
    I put it in a massive plastic bag and strapped it down.
    no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The boot space is not one of the Golf's strong points.

Sounds like the sales dept have made a balls of registering your service plan. They'll usually ask you to bring in proof of the plan (which you invariably dont have), to save a dispute on the day.

Best thing to do if you dont have documentation is to ask the service advisor to view the cars service history, see where the last service was charged to and this one is getting charged the same way, they'll be able to see whatever **** up happened the last time that way.

Pollen and brake fluid change are in the service plan. Pollen at 24 months and brake fluid at 36.

Thanks for the tip, just want to have something in mind if it comes up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I got a free service plan with my car this year. Come to think of it I never got any documentation. I just assumed it would be on file in the garage. I'll have to give them a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I Had no documentation for the golf either but western motors knew once i give them the reg when booking service.

I have one for my e class again with no documentation and recently found it covers just the first two services ( effectively an oil change ) bit **** !

If its processed correctly any workshop should be able to see your service contract from your chassis number, the issue is when the dealer takes your service plan money and makes a bags of uploading the contract online. It happens frequently, usually a sales admin issue. It's usually easily rectified though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just curious... does the actual service on the service plan have to go through the dealer you bought the car & service plan from? Or can you go to any VW dealer?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Just curious... does the actual service on the service plan have to go through the dealer you bought the car & service plan from? Or can you go to any VW dealer?
    Nope, you can take it anywhere including authorised service centres e.g. Noel Deasy Skoda in Cork are authorised to service VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It’s all on the website https://www.onlyrevo.com/

Checked the website, software is quoted in stg, £399 EXCLUDING taxes.

An optional port switch (a device that plugs into the ODB so you can change programs yourself) is quoted in Euro's at €118.80 also EXCLUDING taxes.

Converting the software to euro's and adding the 23%VAT, looks like no change out of 700 euro....

That sound about what @Duskyjoe paid?

Is there 'labour' also to factor in?

Where did you get it done, Duskyjoe?

Did you look at any other companies?

Would like the feedback, really thinking of doing this to my GTD to refresh the interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

I'm in the process of buying a 2019 VW Golf R Line - I won't be travelling much during the course of the year, just in and around Dublin mainly, should I go for the 1.6 diesel 115bhp or the 1.0 petrol 115bhp - is there really that much of a difference in terms of speed, acceleration etc? ( I havent a clue) . Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your not doing much driving and most of what you are doing is city driving then you don't need a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a 2019 VW Golf R Line - I won't be travelling much during the course of the year, just in and around Dublin mainly, should I go for the 1.6 diesel 115bhp or the 1.0 petrol 115bhp - is there really that much of a difference in terms of speed, acceleration etc? ( I havent a clue) . Any thoughts welcome.

I have a 2l petrol BMW and a 1l petrol VW polo.

I only notice the power difference on motorways

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    That petrol engine is really nice. Unless you needed the diesel due to high mileage the petrol is the way to go. There won't be much between them in terms of fuel economy either, especially if you are mainly doing city driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Go for the petrol.

My wife has a 181 Ibiza with the 1.0 TSi, she had an older 1.4 TDi before that. The petrol is a much nicer car. Her commute is 100kms a day on b roads and motorway and the car is now averaging 53mpg now that the car is well run in, which is remarkable.

My GTD Golf only manages 47 on a similar (but half distance) commute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement