Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

That's very impressive fuel economy out of the petrol. I had no idea you could get them to be that efficient, though I know it all depends of driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Just occurred to me that my Up GTI has that engine albeit remapped to 135bhp. I get mid 50s on my daily commute which is 20 mins @ 60mph and 20 mins city traffic. Plenty of spirited driving too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

I just made 40k on my diesel golf that is 152 and if I new that DPF regeneration will be going on weekly bases i would never go for diesel.. I think that DPF is such a annoying thing.. If there is opportunity better go for bigger petrol eng = :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We just bought a 2019 R Line diesel, there was a "purchase contribution" off the diesel that made it more attractive than a petrol, but to be fair we were going for a diesel anyway. The diesel is fairly reliable, our outgoing 162 had done almost 120k trouble free. If your mileage suits diesel, I wouldn't rule it out if the figures work. The 1.0 petrol is a very nice drive too though in fairness and possibly a bit more attractive from a resale point of view in the Dublin area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Gerroff elsewhere with ye're piddly arse engines. This thread is for real Golfs

• Advertisement

Thanks for the valuable contribution.

Indeed. It's really just turned into a thread for people who like Golfs.

The R-Line kit has come a long way from the Mk6 to the 7.5 :)

One has had the emissions update, the other has adblue so, yeah, they are super good for the environment!

20190826-190007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

MidMan25 wrote: »

It's very true though. The R in the title specifically has no "line" after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Picking up a TCR for the weekend. Anything I need to know?!

Remember to keep breathing after you get the keys, otherwise you'll just pass out and miss the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MarkN wrote: »

That's more like it... this thread is finally back on track. ;)

Don't think there's anything much to know. The TCR will feel very familiar to you I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

One flew past me in Salou a few weeks ago, it was that nardo grey type colour, not sure what VW call it. It sounded fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Whats the spec Mark ? Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Nice. Is it for review mark, or long term loan, or family car purchase?

It's very true though. The R in the title specifically has no "line" after it.
    What do you drive yourself ?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Nice. Is it for review mark, or long term loan, or family car purchase?

Just for review. So far, not as raw as Megane Trophy, more refined in the usual VW way. Ditto compared to the Civic Type R.

Just for review. So far, not as raw as Megane Trophy, more refined in the usual VW way. Ditto compared to the Civic Type R.

Let us know when its up... looking forward to that review. And dont forget - drive her like shes stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Let us know when its up... looking forward to that review. And dont forget - drive her like shes stolen.

Sure that's what the subscribe button is for ;)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Sure that's what the subscribe button is for ;)

I have too many subscriptions and not enough you tube time ;)

I have too many subscriptions and not enough you tube time ;)

Tap the bell icon - you’ll get a pop up on your phone that way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Ah review feck that, i thought you were buying one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

This one is right up my street. Haven't got 55c to spare though never mind 55k for one!

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/201908151180618

The colour is SAVAGE.

MG-3182.jpg
    MG-3183.jpg
    MG-3185.jpg
    MG-3186.jpg
    MG-3187.jpg
    MG-3190.jpg
    MG-3191.jpg
    MG-3196.jpg
    MG-3201.jpg
    MG-3204.jpg
    MG-3206.jpg
    MG-3209.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Love it.
    And the seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

That's the nicest looking golf I've ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

I'm seriously thinking of cashing in the kids college fund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Sweet Jesus that's a beaut...

The TCR is really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread.

That TCR is absolutely stunning, looks fantastic.

In the spirit of the thread I picked up my first GTI recently, absolutely astounding car, I imported it from UK, 162 with 9k miles on it. It was never used and only did 3k miles a year with full VW service history.

IMG-20190723-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190712-WA0001.jpg
    (as I was picking it up in UK :-)

Ill put up better photos if anyones interested.

• Advertisement

Loads of savage cars today! Looks great, did you get it for a good price?

Well wear on the GTI. I'm weighing up the option of importing one next year. Did they do you on the VRT?

That TCR is absolutely stunning too. Those alloys!

The TCR is lovely and all but looking at it, you can also really see how VW are running out of ways to re hash and shake up the Mk7 and why the Mk8 will be welcome when it arrives and I dont mean that as an insult to the 7 or 7.5, it's more of a look how far we've come kind of thing. It's hard to disguise that the Mk7 is heading for 7 years of age.

The Urano is a sin too, youd want to see it after 12 months it takes awful to wear and tear. I think the Urano with the matte black wheels looks very cheap, looks like something a scumbag would do to a 15 year old GTi that they bought on donedeal to try and make it cool, better matte black the wheels and plastidip the rest of it. IMO a conventional silver wheel with a nice design and a nice metallic colour are timeless and would never date the car like Urano or Tumeric. Maybe that's not the spirit of the TCR though, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Loads of savage cars today! Looks great, did you get it for a good price?

Honestly I got an extremely good deal because father in law is in the trade so that helped immensely. Extremely happy with it, I've been looking for a good one best part of a year, a lot of abused examples out there.

Heres a question for you guys, where do you get your alloys from? Straight from dealer (cha-ching) or 2nd hand Ebay etc.?

I wouldn't be interested in reps, thinking of picking up one as a spare instead of a spacer.

The TCR is lovely and all but looking at it, you can also really see how VW are running out of ways to re hash and shake up the Mk7 and why the Mk8 will be welcome when it arrives and I dont mean that as an insult to the 7 or 7.5, it's more of a look how far we've come kind of thing. It's hard to disguise that the Mk7 is heading for 7 years of age.

The Urano is a sin too, youd want to see it after 12 months it takes awful to wear and tear. I think the Urano with the matte black wheels looks very cheap, looks like something a scumbag would do to a 15 year old GTi that they bought on donedeal to try and make it cool, better matte black the wheels and plastidip the rest of it. IMO a conventional silver wheel with a nice design and a nice metallic colour are timeless and would never date the car like Urano or Tumeric. Maybe that's not the spirit of the TCR though, I'm not sure.

WTF. Each to their own but I couldn’t disagree more.

That TCR is a stunning car, the colour makes it. It’s different and stands out in a sea of white Golf’s and the rest of the fairly bland colour palette. My own car is a very similar colour and I’m constantly quizzed about it. It catches the eye without question. I don’t give it much love (nowhere near the love / attention I used to give the Golf’s) and it shines up like new on the rare occasion I get to clean it.

One thing I’m not convinced about is that rear valence and it’s a pity they didn’t fit the bucket seats or at least offer them as an option.

I think the MK7 has aged very well too tbh, it easily holds its own against cars that are far newer - new Focus, that Hyundai... Photos I’ve seen so far of the MK8 don’t look too promising but I’m sure once we see it in the metal it probably will age the current car.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think the MK7 has aged very well too tbh, it easily holds its own against cars that are far newer - new Focus, that Hyundai... Photos I’ve seen so far of the MK8 don’t look too promising but I’m sure once we see it in the metal it probably will age the current car.

I agree completely. Even being 7 years old, I still think it looks far better than a Focus or i30, which won't see facelifts for a long time. I think one of the best things VW and Audi have had going for them recently is how well their designs age. I can't say the same for many other brands in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Well you'd be biased towards the grey then I suppose. The BMW finish might be more robust than the VW? I've seen a good few of them after a year or two and it seems to wear terribly, swirls and scratches being particularly obvious in comparison to most of the other shades of grey that the Golf is offered in. I'm sure being careful with it would avoid that but being uber careful isn't for everyone.

The 7 is surely a great car, it still feels streets ahead of the likes of the current Focus which is about the only other car in that segment that can even hold a candle to it. It just feels like there's nowhere else to take it, from VW's point of view, this is like the 3rd spin off performance special I think in addition to all the performance staples GTi, GTD, R etc? I'm not saying it's not a cool car and a car beyond my own affordability for what that's worth, but when will we stop being impressed by limited edition very subtly different Mk7's, if you get me?

I also agree the Mk8 doesn't look too promising at the moment but maybe we just arent ready for it yet. Thinking back, iirc the Mk5 wasn't very well received initially, but it grew into itself very well and to this day is still a sought after model vs its rivals.

What other VW’s are you seeing this grey on? It’s not urano grey. Afaik the only other VW this particular grey was ever seen on was the Transporter! Certainly no VW passenger car has been available in that colour.

Any colour will be scratched and swirled if you don’t take reasonable care. And let’s face it, most don’t. Lapiz blue drove me cracked on the R. It stone chipped if I looked at it. The BMW seems far more robust, whether it’s the paint or the shape of the car being less prone to chipping Im not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think that color is “pure grey” and is a TCR color only. Definitely not cheap as chips urano grey.
    That TCR looks brilliant but is essentially a run out model.
    However I suspect once the mark 8 comes out in the performance models a new thread will start and a few will be moving on as invariably VW will move the game on again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Hoping someone here could help.. Recently got a 132 Golf GT TDI and can’t seem to get the adaptive cruise control to work, it keeps giving me an error of “ACC not available” or “ACC deactivated” .. Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does it actually have ACC fitted? I don't think it was standard back in 2013. Can you see if there is a square box fitted to the centre of the front bumper below the number plate:

007_watchdog_bensmith_dublin_0.jpg?itok=coBAZSEP

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does it actually have ACC fitted? I don't think it was standard back in 2013. Can you see if there is a square box fitted to the centre of the front bumper below the number plate:

007_watchdog_bensmith_dublin_0.jpg?itok=coBAZSEP

Yes Bazz it has the front sensor in the bumper, and its much higher spec then any other 2013 I can find on Donedeal.. Even the regular cruise control will not activate

User1998 wrote: »
    Yes Bazz it has the front sensor in the bumper, and its much higher spec then any other 2013 I can find on Donedeal.. Even the regular cruise control will not activate

Hopefully this photo will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like it's faulty/damaged so.

User1998 wrote: »
    Hoping someone here could help.. Recently got a 132 Golf GT TDI and can’t seem to get the adaptive cruise control to work, it keeps giving me an error of “ACC not available” or “ACC deactivated” .. Anyone have any idea?
    Probably some sort of issue with the sensor.

ACC can be reactivated through the driver controls on the steering wheel if you are getting a "deactivated" message. If it says "unavailable" after you try to activate it, the most likely cause is the radar is damaged or out of calibration.

ACC can be reactivated through the driver controls on the steering wheel if you are getting a "deactivated" message. If it says "unavailable" after you try to activate it, the most likely cause is the radar is damaged or out of calibration.

I did deactivate and activate and still not working so it must be that.. Will see if theres a fault code and get it sorted, thanks for the help

Have seen a few accident damaged ones before where lads just placed the radar back into place in the bumper, either through ignorance or disregard.

Best thing to do is get it scanned for faults, it may not be serious. The radars themselves need an awful knock to cause damage but sensitive enough in terms of calibration. For example hitting a bird square on or getting a good belt of a football could knock it way out of calibration but the sensor is probaby fine.

Have seen a few accident damaged ones before where lads just placed the radar back into place in the bumper, either through ignorance or disregard.

Best thing to do is get it scanned for faults, it may not be serious. The radars themselves need an awful knock to cause damage but sensitive enough in terms of calibration. For example hitting a bird square on or getting a good belt of a football could knock it way out of calibration but the sensor is probaby fine.

Its weird because I got too close to a car in front today on the motorway and an icon on the dash of two cars came up with a small distance between them, obviously warning me of what I was doing.. so the sensor is definitely somewhat working.. I’l get a diagnostic done and see what the story is

Here you go lads!

Well done Mark - youve become quite relaxed in front of the camera - it really suits the review. What road was that... looked nice and quiet ;)

Those Alloys look the business...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement