Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks a lot. It's been a learning curve, presenting and editing. My early stuff was muck but hopefully these ones are a bit slicker to the average viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah I wouldn't be so hard on yourself there was nothing wrong with your reviews starting off. Your R review is nearly a year old now and is as good if not better than the TCR review, let's see can it match it for views. I still think you enjoyed the R and Hyundai more...you probably couldn't say that or Mr Keane might not have been too impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Really enjoyed that review. First time I have ever sat through a full review with interest. The color is fantastic too!

......... there was nothing wrong with your reviews starting off. ............

Indeed, great standard from the off IMO.

Ah I wouldn't be so hard on yourself there was nothing wrong with your reviews starting off. Your R review is nearly a year old now and is as good if not better than the TCR review, let's see can it match it for views. I still think you enjoyed the R and Hyundai more...you probably couldn't say that or Mr Keane might not have been too impressed.

i30N is just a loud mouth so that brings out the grins. The Golfs (all of them really) are more much composed in that area but are just as quick! No pressure from Keanes at all, from any chats I’ve had with brands, they all agree that most cars are not perfect so are happy for things to be pointed out once they’re deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

MarkN wrote: »
    i30N is just a loud mouth so that brings out the grins. The Golfs (all of them really) are more much composed in that area but are just as quick! No pressure from Keanes at all, from any chats I’ve had with brands, they all agree that most cars are not perfect so are happy for things to be pointed out once they’re deserved.

Of all the hot hatches you've driven on the channel, which would you take for a year if given the option?

Of all the hot hatches you've driven on the channel, which would you take for a year if given the option?

To drive - Civic Type R.
    To look at - TCR or RS Trophy.
    To sit inside - Golf R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

To drive - Civic Type R.
    To look at - TCR or RS Trophy.
    To sit inside - Golf R

Yea but if you had to pick one for a year?

Also, surprising you'd rather sit in the R rather than the TCR, the thing I hate about the R is the interior & I thought the TCR looked a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Christ that TCR is lovely. If the paint doesn't wear well as previously mentioned then just get a protective film put on. If you can afford a €48,000 hatchback then a clear bra isn't out of the question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yep its gorgeous. With the spec on that one id say it's closer to 55k though!

Really like them in red too, but I'm a bit biased as I have a red mk7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The TCR looks great but that color is awful, I think I’m in the minority though.
    It would be class in Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

i posted back in July that Blackwater motors in Cork had a TCR in stock in the showroom - passed there today and its still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

kooga wrote: »
    i posted back in July that Blackwater motors in Cork had a TCR in stock in the showroom - passed there today and its still available

This white one?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/201907180195400

Xenon lights in 2019 on a €50K car???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

This white one?

Wow it has a Adjustable Steering Column fitted!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

This white one?

did nt see the white one - but the red is the showroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

This white one?

That's just the normal detail auto-fill by Carzone and most dealers won't be bothered to update it correctly. My car has leather seats but it comes up as having cloth seats on Carzone.

The GTI, GTD and R all have LED headlights as standard since the facelift.

Yea but if you had to pick one for a year?

Also, surprising you'd rather sit in the R rather than the TCR, the thing I hate about the R is the interior & I thought the TCR looked a lot nicer.

I do like the seats in the TCR but the Golf R I was in was leather and I'm a bit of a sucker for it.

I'd have to have a long hard think about the R versus TCR regarding your question. The Golfs give the best of both worlds in the sense that you can pick up your kid from school in it and not everyone is going to be pointing and staring! The Civic was truly the purest but it comes at the price of massive attention.

Thanks to those of you who have watched that video, the views on it took off yesterday about 4pm so it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Looking forward to the 330i review Mark. It's one I have an interest in so keen you get your take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

This thing just makes you want to go for a drive :D 4 months in and smitten.

IMG-5695.jpg

Seen a white tcr in westport on Saturday.
    Serious car envy.
    Lovely sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Funny, Westport seems to be a hotbed for high spec performance Golf's. Anytime I visit I spot at least 2 or 3 R's / GTI's driving through the town square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Funny, Westport seems to be a hotbed for high spec performance Golf's. Anytime I visit I spot at least 2 or 3 R's / GTI's driving through the town square.

You sure you weren’t in co donegal Joe? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Here you go lads!

Watched it there Mark.
    Great review.
    Colour is class.

17k views at this stage.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    You sure you weren’t in co donegal Joe? :)

He's right, I'm up there every 2 - 3 months and always spot at least 2 or 3 R's, I can think of 3 I saw this weekend. It's a pretty affluent town and if you live and work in the area then 20-25 mpg is quite manageable.

Watched it there Mark.
    Great review.
    Colour is class.

17k views at this stage.

Cheers, it's heading for 19k now, the view count is fairly up to date when you login to your account. Best reaction to a vid so far, if only they were all that quick to shoot up. Thanks for watching!

Just seen it's been shared by the GTi World dealership in Scotland, should get you a few more views

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

hooch-85 wrote: »
    He's right, I'm up there every 2 - 3 months and always spot at least 2 or 3 R's, I can think of 3 I saw this weekend. It's a pretty affluent town and if you live and work in the area then 20-25 mpg is quite manageable.
    Westport?

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Just seen it's been shared by the GTi World dealership in Scotland, should get you a few more views

Oh that’s a good coup, those guys have a huge Facebook following.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Westport?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

On the average day i could see 3/4 R's (common as muck) i don't think i'd see 3 GTIs a week, GTDs are obviously more plentiful. I'd always give a nod or a look to a GTI or an R, in my experience the R drivers rarely return the nod so i would assume they are mostly driven by non enthusiasts (or ignorant so and so's :) ) GTI drivers return a nod more often - very scientific research i know.

• Advertisement

They're a very rare sight in any guise around Galway tbh. The odd GTD alright but the sight of an R or GTI is a rarity. The ones I do see are the same 2 or 3 that I know of already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

tossy wrote: »
    in my experience the R drivers rarely return the nod so i would assume they are mostly driven by non enthusiasts (or ignorant so and so's :) )

Awww bummer, at least I used to drive a GTI so I was decent in the past :D

I was complimenting some lads gti outside the nightclub saturday when I was wasted ,
    god only knows what **** I was spouting in the window :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Any idea when we'll see the new Golf and Leon at Frankfurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

I dont think we'll see the Leon or Golf tbh at Frankfurt :(

easyvision wrote: »
    I dont think we'll see the Leon or Golf tbh at Frankfurt :(

Ah dose. I needed something to sustain me until the new year.

I know was really hoping to see the Leon launched, I think it it will look really good in FR spec! was hoping to consider it for 2020!

I'm the same- I'm waiting to change my 184 FR until the new one comes out. Didn't want to be going down in power.

ha im the same with a GTD! Im waiting to hear about the new Golf/Leon hybrids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Any idea when we'll see the new Golf and Leon at Frankfurt?

New Leon debuts in January and will be in Ireland in April next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Golf is to be announced next month as its own event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

easyvision wrote: »
    I know was really hoping to see the Leon launched, I think it it will look really good in FR spec! was hoping to consider it for 2020!

Hehe, my PCP ends in May and I am between hard place and a rock. New Leon will most definitely be here only late next year.
    Half thinking just paying off balloon and wait to see what's new Leon like or just get second hand Leon Cupra and still be a Boy racer.

Hehe, my PCP ends in May and I am between hard place and a rock. New Leon will most definitely be here only late next year.
    Half thinking just paying off balloon and wait to see what's new Leon like or just get second hand Leon Cupra and still be a Boy racer.

My PCP is up too but I've decided to keep paying the repayments until the new one comes along. They went up slightly. The new Leon looks good so I think I'd only be kicking myself if I purchased now. Although a Cupra would be savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Would it be awkward to start refinancing the balloon payment for a few months while you hold off for a new model? Might have to do it myself next year and hold off until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Latest Mk8 GTE photoed here still with some tape over the body panels around the light clusters:

vw-golf-gte-003.jpg?itok=qhb-Y9mZ

vw-golf-gte-013.jpg?itok=qWcZvnud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any idea what battery is meant to be in it?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Would it be awkward to start refinancing the balloon payment for a few months while you hold off for a new model? Might have to do it myself next year and hold off until January.

No it only took me 5 minutes. They’ll just change it to a hire purchase and there’ll be a different interest rate. Sign the piece of paper and off you go.

Sign the piece of paper and off you go.

Sadly I had a Maths teacher long ago who made us study compound interest, present and future value of money and so forth.

Have never paid a cent on a car loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Sadly I had a Maths teacher long ago who made us study compound interest, present and future value of money and so forth.

Have never paid a cent on a car loan.

A lot of people are paying no interest on car loans now, the real cost is depreciation.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    A lot of people are paying no interest on car loans now, the real cost is depreciation.

I can afford the weekly!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement