Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Anyone want to swap silver for black prets :)

Love the black wheels too, really look the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

OSI wrote: »
    Send the car into VW for a service and they'll come back a different colour for you!

Did you ever get sorted with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No deal i'm afraid were too far off. Wrong car to be trading in against it. No DCC which I reckon it needs the GTi is a lot sweeter on the road. I'll say one thing though it does have you grinning ear to ear. How they specced the leather and sunroof and left our the keyless start I'll never know.
    I'm blown away with the power might have to take a spin up to Dalton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Lads what's a reasonable cost to change, 172 GTI manual to a 182 R with leather and sunroof.

I have no idea but I'd be curious to hear what you're hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

No deal i'm afraid were too far off. Wrong car to be trading in against it. No DCC which I reckon it needs the GTi is a lot sweeter on the road. I'll say one thing though it does have you grinning ear to ear. How they specced the leather and sunroof and left our the keyless start I'll never know.
    I'm blown away with the power might have to take a spin up to Dalton's.
    How much did they want to trade? I’m guessing 12k plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

What's the spec on your own GTI?

theintern wrote: »
    I have no idea but I'd be curious to hear what you're hearing.

It's too rich a trade in, not interested just threw a lol figure at me. Thinks the R is easier sell as way less of them.
    I've been thinking of tuning mine all evening...want 300bhp now:)

Thinks the R is easier sell as way less of them.

I don't know about that, I see way more Rs than GTIs. When I went to spec a GTI earlier this year, they said they sold more Rs than GTIs too.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    What's the spec on your own GTI?

Standard with the tech pack and keyless go..

• Advertisement

I don't know about that, I see way more Rs than GTIs. When I went to spec a GTI earlier this year, they said they sold more Rs than GTIs too.

I didn't really believe it either. The GTi's a better looking car with a nicer interior. It looks like the faster golf.

I didn't really believe it either. The GTi's a better looking car with a nicer interior. It looks like the faster golf.

I agree. I love the red accents of the GTI and the tartan seats would be a must have thing for me.

Yea it's a classic look. Even the infortament system looks better with the red on the GTI as opposed to the blue one in the R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They’re a non franchise dealer. Therefore they have to pitch that R a nice bit lower than a main VW Dealer would - they can’t offer the VW backup nor the finance terms etc. So their margins are tighter. Which means they don’t want your GTI - they certainly don’t have room in a deal to offer you an attractive trade in.

They’re hoping for a cash customer for that car really. Or someone with something worth bugger all to trade.

Dunno about that strategy, I'd say it's easier shift the GTI and they'd be freeing up some cash. There both under warranty it's not like they need to stand over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Has anyone imported a 2014 GTD lately?
    I’m getting 2 different VRT calculations,
    €2,800 and €3,800
    Both 5dr Auto 184ps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

User1998 wrote: »
    Has anyone imported a 2014 GTD lately?
    I’m getting 2 different VRT calculations,
    €2,800 and €3,800
    Both 5dr Auto 184ps

Check the CO2 emissions on both, think that’s how they differentiate them. Confusing I know, only learned this recently as a few grams over can result in a different duty paid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Has anyone here purchased a used GTi or R via Volkswagen used car PCP? Is there any difference from buying new? Can't find any calculator online to help see what numbers are involved. I'm the kind of car enthusiast that likes to change every three years so I'm just examining all options available.

I've used this calculator to get an idea a couple of times.

http://www.pcp-calculator.com/PCP-loan-calculator.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Has anyone here purchased a used GTi or R via Volkswagen used car PCP? Is there any difference from buying new? Can't find any calculator online to help see what numbers are involved. I'm the kind of car enthusiast that likes to change every three years so I'm just examining all options available.

The APR and GMFV will both be less favourable. APR will be at least 3.9, maybe more.

I don’t think pcp works very well with used cars. Speaking from experience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Has anyone here purchased a used GTi or R via Volkswagen used car PCP? Is there any difference from buying new? Can't find any calculator online to help see what numbers are inclined. I'm the kind of car enthusiast that likes to change every three years so I'm just examining all options available.

They seem to price their cars on the high end of things and on top of that you'll have 5.9% APR. Hopefully the minimum value won't be so low that you'll have eye watering monthly payments.

As an example there's a 191 GTI PP with 9,000km and just a tech pack listed for €43k. A max deposit would have it at €475/mo, I'm pretty sure you'd get a new one for less.

As has been said, you're talking about 3.9% or 5.9% APR on a used one whereas new will be 1.9%.

Personally, if I was buying used I'd be more in favour of taking a loan for a slightly older one perhaps if it worked out. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to buy used with PCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Manufacturers usually offer better incentives especially around PCP on new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Thanks for the info folks. Yeah the cars I was looking at were around the 35000 mark so I'll probably stick to normal finance loan based on what your saying here.....

Thanks for the info folks. Yeah the cars I was looking at were around the 35000 mark so I'll probably stick to normal finance loan based on what your saying here.....

I did a loan through vw bank for a 2.5 year old GTI recently and was happy enough with the terms. Not PCP, a VW Bank HP. APR was 3.9 which is better than you'll get with any bank and since I was organising finance through them, I felt they were happier to negotiate, and I felt like I negotiated a decent deal. You can pay back the balance any time if you like, if you change your mind and want to use a normal loan.

I agree with the other advice here around PCP, it probably doesn't make sense with a used car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I did a loan through vw bank for a 2.5 year old GTI recently and was happy enough with the terms. Not PCP, a VW Bank HP. APR was 3.9 which is better than you'll get with any bank and since I was organising finance through them, I felt they were happier to negotiate, and I felt like I negotiated a decent deal. You can pay back the balance any time if you like, if you change your mind and want to use a normal loan.

I agree with the other advice here around PCP, it probably doesn't make sense with a used car.

Best way to find out if it's worth it, is to check what Apr they doing at given moment.
    I almost took Seat Leon FR 184hp 182 with 10k km in February. PCP Apr was only 2.9% apr. Car was priced very well too. So it was a pretty good deal, but after having that car for 3 days I decided that no way I can go back to diesel, other then that, I loved it.
    As always, you need to do some basic maths and see how it works out. Not sure what Apr VW is doing on used cars right now, but a well priced second hand car can work out better then new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Just to make a small point on that. Lowest APR isn't always best if it's PCP.

As you are paying off less of the loan over the term because the balloon payment is there, the interest rate will be applied to a higher amount of borrowed money Vs HP.

In HP you will pay off more of the loan as you go, shrinking the outstanding finance more quickly and therefore even if the Apr is slightly higher it can work out cheaper as you are paying off the finance quicker.

Best to just look at the total cost including finance on both. I wouldn't rule out PCP, but it's probably not the best option in most cases with a 2nd hand motor. The big win for PCP are the 0% deals, that you don't get on HP. Then what I mentioned earlier doesn't matter, as it's interest free anyway.

Found a great parking space tonight. I believe the owner is a regular poster :)

7ZyXSlj.png

The blue looks savage with the red bits. One of my favourite GTI colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Found a great parking space tonight. I believe the owner is a regular poster :)

Snap!! :D:D :pac: :pac:

492312.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ah lads :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I believe boards rules are that all meets have to be arranged well in advance and everyone is invited, or people start to get upset.

Then you'll be looking at splinter groups arranging their own meets and it's just anarchy after that.

Same paddles as mine :D

A few more bolt ons and it would be completely one sided.

Anyone know the price of that 2016 RS3 on done deal.

It was around €51k, possibly under that, when it was on Carzone a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Does the RS3 offer much over an R apart from 400hp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

tossy wrote: »
    Same paddles as mine :D

A few more bolt ons and it would be completely one sided.

That's a slow qtr mile, your car did 12.3 seconds at a lower spec than it is now.
    I would say your car would be into the 11's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

DaveyDave wrote: »

5 cylinder sound, better brakes and potential for a lot more power fairly easily.

DaveyDave wrote: »

That's a pre-facelift RS3 so it has 360hp. Still though, it's certainly not lacking.

It's actually €48k on Carzone at the moment and there is a 161 RS3 for €35k which would be amazing value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That's a pre-facelift RS3 so it has 360hp. Still though, it's certainly not lacking.

It's actually €48k on Carzone at the moment and there is a 161 RS3 for €35k which would be amazing value for money.

The 161 is ex VRT by the looks of things. The seller is in the North, with a UK mobile - despite the Dublin on the ad

• Advertisement

The 161 is ex VRT by the looks of things. The seller is in the North, with a UK mobile - despite the Dublin on the ad

Of course yeah, not sure how I didn't spot that. €35k would be far too good to be true for an Irish reg one. It would be roughly the same price as the 162 one in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I've to remove the boot trim to access the drain tube, once the screws are out, is it just a case of yanking it or is there a knack to getting it off? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Golf 7.5R at 319 kmph on the autobahn
    0-100kmph in 3.2

Even allowing for the speedo to be a little bit off, this is some outrageous tuning.

Skip to 5:37 for high speed run.

Love the way he pulls into the "slow lane" doing 200 Mph, cos you'd never know who needs to overtake you.

I just showed my 6 year old son, and explained what the autobahn was.

"Daddy, can we go to Germany if you ever get a fast car?"

:(

I knocked a nav indicated 240kph (maybe a little more) out of a standard GTi on the autobahn recently. Iirc the speedo was off by at least 10kph. Think it was showing north of 250kph.

Parts of the autobahn network aren't really suitable for driving on at all IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Drove my first R today

This was me

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Benzino wrote: »
    I've to remove the boot trim to access the drain tube, once the screws are out, is it just a case of yanking it or is there a knack to getting it off? Thanks.

It's quite easy, just start with the upper sections on the sides of the rear window, as they lock into the lower panel(s). Short sharp tugs are your best friend and it should come off easily enough. Start at the corners on the main rear hatch piece and work your way around

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Golf 7.5R at 319 kmph on the autobahn
    0-100kmph in 3.2

Someone has the tuning itch :D:p

Any footage of your one launching Tossy?

Augeo wrote: »
    I knocked a nav indicated 240kph (maybe a little more) out of a standard GTi on the autobahn recently. Iirc the speedo was off by at least 10kph. Think it was showing north of 250kph.

Parts of the autobahn network aren't really suitable for driving on at all IMO.

I've noticed that, the speedo is reading a bit high. 130 when it should be around 120, must be a vw thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement