Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Any footage of your one launching Tossy?

No, don't have a way of recording it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Any footage of your one launching Tossy?

When I owned it, 7.56 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzuxtQYcIY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I just showed my 6 year old son, and explained what the autobahn was.

"Daddy, can we go to Germany if you ever get a fast car?"

:(

The same fella when he was 2 decidedly unimpressed with the Golf....

Muppet Man wrote: »

Skip to 5:37 for high speed run.

you can see the petrol gauge moving :D

Neilw wrote: »

Pity he didn't capture the runs against some of the bigger fish.
    The same fella when he was 2 decidedly unimpressed with the Golf....

That's hilarious, less a toss could be given :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

From what I've read online a remap/DSG map gets the R into 3 second launch territory with basic mods bringing it down a bit lower. That's a lot of performance for 350-360hp, if I'm reading that correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I think the commentator on the launch of Tossy's car used a very fitting word for the R, being effective. It is exceptionally good and getting the power down. 4k RPM clutch drop to a 4wd system which is expecting it so the clutch at the rear wheels is already engaged, followed by a twin clutch gearbox that behaves differently/faster during a launch (no farts) all adds up. The initial bite is where it is most impressive and more power between 0-50kph prob makes feck all difference as traction becomes the biggest obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

MK8 reveal officially happening on the 24th of October.

https://www.motor1.com/news/374308/vw-golf-reveal-october-24/

Interestingly, you'll only be able to get a GTI or an R in the US. Sounds to me like they intend to show them off on the same day if that's the case.

New Skoda coming on November 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

theintern wrote: »

Interestingly, you'll only be able to get a GTI or an R in the US. Sounds to me like they intend to show them off on the same day if that's the case.

Is the Golf 8 based on the MQB chassis? I didn't realise this. If that's the case its more akin to the MK5 to MK6 upgrade, rather than a whole new standalone model. Not necessarily a bad thing of course, if it ain't broke don't fix it as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Neilw wrote: »

That must be kinda like watching your current GF looking cosy and content with her previous fella for Tossy. :P

tossy wrote: »
    Pity he didn't capture the runs against some of the bigger fish.

Ah yes, the bigger fish...it was quicker than the following cars on the day.
    996 turbo
    Supra TT
    BMW i8
    E60 M5
    VXR8 Gts
    C6 RS6
    F10 M5
    Jag xkr
    R33 gtr
    M4
    F80 M3
    M2
    R8 V8
    Plus a load more :eek:
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    From what I've read online a remap/DSG map gets the R into 3 second launch territory with basic mods bringing it down a bit lower. That's a lot of performance for 350-360hp, if I'm reading that correctly?
    Stage 2 and dsg maps will have it doing about 3.6 to 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

theintern wrote: »

And the new Leon not happening until August according to the dealer when I called in yesterday. They had just found out. Can't face waiting that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Is the Golf 8 based on the MQB chassis? I didn't realise this. If that's the case its more akin to the MK5 to MK6 upgrade, rather than a whole new standalone model. Not necessarily a bad thing of course, if it ain't broke don't fix it as they say.

These new button free cockpits are a step backward imo. Same engine as well so really not worth getting if you’ve got a me 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

These new button free cockpits are a step backward imo. Same engine as well so really not worth getting if you’ve got a me 7.

I agree, not a fan of touchscreens taking over. Not as intuitive as a button, switch or rotary knob and typically requires driver to take their eyes off the road. I reckon we'll see a pairing back in the next gen of cars with a better mix of physical controls and touchscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone know the part number for the start button on a 161 R? Mine is a bit intermittent on when it will start. Rolling your finger around the button gets it eventually but it’s frustrating!

5G1959839A is all I can find but it comes up for sale on US rather than UK searches so I think there might be a right and left hand version.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

5G1959839A 3Q7 is the number of the latest version I believe.
    These switches seem to be problematic as I know of a few that have had them replaced. Seemingly the newer versions are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Drove my first R today

giphy.gif

I've had one now about 7 months and getting used to it, but on recent cold mornings the cooler air is really helping, car feels like it suddenly has 20bhp extra. And I do that expression above lol. Of course that's probably a placebo effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I still start the car with the door open on these colder mornings. Sounds so sweet. Mk7.5 R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Some sneaky pics here of what looks like a lower/mid spec. First time I’ve seen a real car.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/2020-vw-golf-leaks-ahead-of-schedule-what-do-you-think/

• Advertisement

That interior doesn't look as bad as previous pictures. Screen doesn't look flush on the passenger side which is a shame.

Not a big fan of a flush digital dash and infotainment screen like in Mercedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GTi mk10 interior spied...

8ap2uxopr45z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

No great changes on the outside. I like the interior. Looks to wrap around the driver( as it should) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I might need to sell my 142 GTI PP soon. Does anyone have experience of selling one of these privately? Can you get a garage to sell it for you for a small fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

sk8board wrote: »
    Some sneaky pics here of what looks like a lower/mid spec. First time I’ve seen a real car.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/2020-vw-golf-leaks-ahead-of-schedule-what-do-you-think/

Dash reminds me of the current BMW range with the big screen perched and angled towards the driver.

Exterior, meh, but the base models are always a bit meh...

seen a TCR on the belgard road yesterday.
    Anyone here?
    Front wheel were curbed :(
    How many are in Ireland ?Thats the second one I've seen now.
    Only seen one clubsport .

seen a TCR on the belgard road yesterday.
    Anyone here?
    Front wheel were curbed :(
    How many are in Ireland ?Thats the second one I've seen now.
    Only seen one clubsport .

I think there's 20 for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Dash reminds me of the current BMW range with the big screen perched and angled towards the driver.

Exterior, meh, but the base models are always a bit meh...

Same here, I like the interior, it’s a stretch to say it’s more like the Porsche taycan long widescreen, but it’s along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sk8board wrote: »
    Same here, I like the interior, it’s a stretch to say it’s more like the Porsche taycan long widescreen, but it’s along those lines

I personally really don't like the exterior at all. It's like they went backwards in design. Interior looks a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Changed the oil on the GTD yesterday. Forgot to reconnect the yoke beside the oil filter (that you really have to remove).

I tie wrapped up the harness to keep it out of the way, and then forgot to reconnect....

What is it for as a matter of interest?

And, I'm assuming I'll need a tool to reset the check engine light?

Or will it clear itself...?

493376.jpg

• Advertisement

Not being smart but this is why I'd rather pay a mechanic to service my car. Must be some sort of sensor. You can reset the oil change indicator with the buttons on the display but if it's a check engine light you will need diagnostics to read the codes and clear the fault.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Not being smart but this is why I'd rather pay a mechanic to service my car............

I've seen mechanics do worse then not reconnect something :pac:

Reconnect it and drive it, the fault 'may' clear ? looks like an Auxiliary air pump or something.

Reconnect it and drive it, the fault 'may' clear ? looks like an Auxiliary air pump or something.

It cleared itself eventually.

I had a look to try to figure out what it does. Looks like some kind of auxiliary water pump. One of the lines went directly to the bottom of the expansion tank.

I was surprised to see that it needed a top up with some G13 also, it had gone below the min.

CGI_3 wrote: »
    It cleared itself eventually.

I had a look to try to figure out what it does. Looks like some kind of auxiliary water pump. One of the lines went directly to the bottom of the expansion tank.

I was surprised to see that it needed a top up with some G13 also, it had gone below the min.

I’d say it’s the after run pump. Runs for a few minutes after shut off to cool the engine/turbo down.

I’d say it’s the after run pump. Runs for a few minutes after shut off to cool the engine/turbo down.

Yes, you're probably right. That would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

<div class="iframe-wrap" style="display:block;padding-bottom:56.25%;position:relative;"><iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://volkswagen-newsroom.gomexlive.com/player?stn=golf8wp&lang=en"></iframe></div&gt;

Live stream of the mark 8 tomorrow night at 18:30 Central European time ..

I wonder will they pull and Audi on it and the new R is a Diesel.

I wonder will they pull and Audi on it and the new R is a Diesel.

Don't think so, I remember reading it will be a petrol with around 330 bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

First images available of mark 8.
    the dsg gearshift appears to be a toggle like the new Porsche 911.
    Whole car looks pretty good to me.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-volkswagen-golf-first-official-images-leak-ahead-tonights-reveal

Doesn't look bad but it's lacking climate controls? As I said before not a fan of the screen from the passenger perspective but from a driver point of view it looks good.

I'll miss the gear shifter, putting it into D/S won't have the same feeling but at least they didn't go with separate P R N D buttons.

Nothing too new as you'd expect from a Golf. Nice looking car. Will be better once we see the launch and videos from the usual YouTube channels.

Just looked again I see the on screen controls for climate, also looks like there's buttons just below the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Does the release of a new model have any bearing on the price of the previous models? should they go down?
    Or will it just be Mk7.5s still in the show room that'll go down?

The new GTE could be an interesting prospect. Looking forward to see what the performance models look like.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Does the release of a new model have any bearing on the price of the previous models? should they go down?
    Or will it just be Mk7.5s still in the show room that'll go down?

Bring the change with a new Volkswagen
    Whatever change life brings, embrace it with a new Volkswagen.

For 201, enjoy our new offers including:
    PCP finance starting from 0% APR*
    Purchase Contributions of up to €2,500*
    Service Plan Packs
    R-Line Model Upgrades
    Cutting-Edge Technology Upgrades
    Explore our 201 offers below and make the change.
    Current Offers

PCP finance from 0% APR
    Golf from €269 per month3
    View offer

PCP Finance from 0% APR
    e-Golf from €379 per month4
    View offer

• Advertisement

I was expecting bannanaman and his boxes when she was introducing the special guest.

It kinda looks like a GTi/R only not as good from the front....not sold on the new black badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Headlights look a bit like an Auris. Quite like it though and think it will grow on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The marketing boys have gone truly mad with their Steve Jobs clone selling a new iphone type talk show launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

God I hate the fake tail pipes in the VAG group. Fair enough in an EV obviously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement