Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shame about the lack of a gas strut under the bonnet. It was a nice touch.

Looks like the buttons just below the screen are dual climate heat, good to see they're meeting somewhere in the middle between buttons and touchscreen only.

Also DSG models of the standard Golf are all hybrid. LED lights as standard, curious to see how much a DSG Highline costs now.

I see there's rear ambient lighting, rear seat heating, three zone climate, HUD etc. Probably gets very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Also DSG models of the standard Golf are all hybrid. LED lights as standard, curious to see how much a DSG Highline costs now.

I believe the lowest power DSG petrol, the 90bhp model, doesn't get the eTSI engine so not quite all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Quick question.
    Im checking for updates for my maps.
    I've got Discover Pro (I think)

I took out the VW SD map card which is about 7.5gb in capacity according to my laptop but the updated maps are showing a size of 24.5gb!

How is one supposed to update the maps if the download is bigger than the capacity of the card. The only options for downloads for me appear to be all of Europe or all of everywhere else.

151 Golf R

The VW SD card says it's Europe V11 and the European maps I'm downloading say that they are from 6/7/19 (I don't know if it means July 6th or June 7th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Was there a discovery pro in 2015, are you sure it's the right one for your car, the discovery pro is the big screen with no volume dials as far as I know from mid 2017 on...

Was there a discovery pro in 2015, are you sure it's the right one for your car, the discovery pro is the big screen with no volume dials as far as I know from mid 2017 on...

I'm going by the image they make you select on the webpage.
    If I select a 2015 on Golf R it offers discovery media and discovery pro.
    The media one doesn't look like my one but the pro does

Confusingly the discover media picture doesn't have a nav button so I'm not sure. I have whichever one is the smaller screen but with Nav

I think mine is the discover pro Mib1
    https://images.app.goo.gl/kjGt2GNXkE1VMjwd8

Are you sure your card is 7.5gb? Maybe it's 7.5gb remaining as I'd guess you have a 32gb card.

Are you sure your card is 7.5gb? Maybe it's 7.5gb remaining as I'd guess you have a 32gb card.

It says 7.5gb free and only 16kb used (I've formatted it, not before backing it up)

7.5gb is a strange size so I don't know, maybe my laptop is just sh*tting itself

EDIT: further research suggests I've a Discovery Media Gen 2 (MIB2) so I may have found the problem

EDIT2: I give up, downloaded an update and put card back in and it's says no readable nav data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

8GB cards will show up as around 7.5GB due to some formatting reason I'm not smart enough to remember :)

You'll get a 32GB card somewhere like Argos for €15 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I've recently done this on the basic MIB1 NAV system in my 151 GTD. Pain in the ass really. The files are huge but are formatted when you download them, then the program reinstals the new maps on the card, mine was the original memory card and I didn't need to get a bigger one. Took me 4-5 hours to do in total. With your car having MIB2 i'd be more inclined to get carplay/android auto working and use google maps.

Darren on autostadt had the same system and documented it on his thread, have a look here:

http://autostadt.ie/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20474&start=234#p205220

DaveyDave wrote: »
    8GB cards will show up as around 7.5GB due to some formatting reason I'm not smart enough to remember :)

You'll get a 32GB card somewhere like Argos for €15 or so.

You can get a genuine VW one on eBay for about €30 with the latest maps installed. I got one as couldn't seem to get the maps working on a non VW card, took about 5 days from lithiuania.
    From here https://www.ebay.ie/sch/satnavland/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I think it has to be exFat for the VW not fat32 format. Not much use changing format if it won't fit on the card anyway..

• Advertisement

Cheers folks, I'll do a bit more research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anyone who is thinking of joining the club, my GTI PP is for sale. It's low mileage and has been extremely well looked after while I've owned it, you only have to go digging back through this thread to see the €1000 I put into getting a coolant leak fixed properly.

I've a deposit down on a Model 3 as a company car. To be honest I'm still in two minds about this, Tesla offered me a derisory amount for the Golf as a trade in so it needs to be sold privately. If I don't get much interest in the next couple of weeks I might just keep it, I would be genuinely sad to see it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anyone who is thinking of joining the club, my GTI PP is for sale. It's low mileage and has been extremely well looked after while I've owned it, you only have to go digging back through this thread to see the €1000 I put into getting a coolant leak fixed properly.

I've a deposit down on a Model 3 as a company car. To be honest I'm still in two minds about this, Tesla offered me a derisory amount for the Golf as a trade in so it needs to be sold privately. If I don't get much interest in the next couple of weeks I might just keep it, I would be genuinely sad to see it go.

If you want feedback on the ad, here's my 2p worth:

- car needs a clean, even the clocks look scruffy in that closeup
    - replace the comedy font number plates
    - take much better photos, when the car is spotless, in a more scenic location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Judging by your photos, we are neighbours!

I'll retake the picture of the clock, didn't realise at the time how dusty it was. I will definitely not be buying any new plates for it.

It's very hard to get any time to take proper pictures now with it getting dark at 5pm. I'll do some more again if I can but I'm basically hoping for decent weather at the weekend

Your own company? I've thought long and hard about it and nope, can't see me doing it. Have a deposit on the id3 and that's going to be a nope as well I reckon. The range and fun just doesn't seem to be there and the last thing I want is any kind of anxiety.
    Tesla 3 performance is coming in at 73k before start trying to justify it. Mad money.

You need better pictures in the ad if you can get a bit of sunshine and clean the dials. Way better description as well. I don't mind the plates.

I've €150 spent on a coolant leak so far and still not fixed, it's only slight but I just can't find it. One chap told me it's normal, they all use a bit.

Yeah I own the company. The range on the SR+ doesn't bother me, I rarely leave the city and for the few trips I do I'm covered by the superchargers (or ones stated as being completed by the end of this year or next). As you can tell from the ad, I'm doing fairly low mileage so an EV suits me fine.

Yeah I own the company. The range on the SR+ doesn't bother me, I rarely leave the city and for the few trips I do I'm covered by the superchargers (or ones stated as being completed by the end of this year or next). As you can tell from the ad, I'm doing fairly low mileage so an EV suits me fine.

BIK not bother you? Apologies.....didnt think model 3s were as low a price as they are.
    20k is very steep for a near 6 year old gti IMO.... As a private sale it's really steep.

BIK on the SR+ is gonna be about €1200 a year until 2023. But then you can offset that by paying all running costs out of the company account, and a good saving on fuel too even at the mileage I'm doing. All in the Tesla would actually cost less to run per year through the company than the GTI currently costs me.

• Advertisement

You can get a genuine VW one on eBay for about €30 with the latest maps installed. I got one as couldn't seem to get the maps working on a non VW card, took about 5 days from lithiuania.
    From here https://www.ebay.ie/sch/satnavland/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I think it has to be exFat for the VW not fat32 format. Not much use changing format if it won't fit on the card anyway..

Much obliged for that, found one with the most up to date maps and ordered

BIK on the SR+ is gonna be about €1200 a year until 2023. But then you can offset that by paying all running costs out of the company account, and a good saving on fuel too even at the mileage I'm doing. All in the Tesla would actually cost less to run per year through the company than the GTI currently costs me.

A 984 Turbo also attacts 0% BIK ;) it's doable with your milage.

Augeo wrote: »
    20k is very steep for a near 6 year old gti IMO.... As a private sale it's really steep.

Hmm, maybe slightly. Although it was listed at 19.5, not 20. We all know it won't sell for the list price anyway, just like I wouldn't expect to pay the list price for a car even off a dealer. And it's just over 5 years old.

The open market value according to revenue is 20,750 or so. I've knocked it down to 18995 in the interest of moving it a bit quicker. If there's no interest at this price then I'm going to keep it.

It might take weeks to sell....id just be patient TBH especially if you're in no hurry.

Mileage is very low and it's an Irish car with PP, so has that going for it. Personally I couldn't buy one without the Xenons, they just don't look the same without them, but there are some good aftermarket options available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I dont think that price is unreasonable. Mk7 GTIs have held their value incredibly well & looking at other cars for sale its about right IMO, it's very low mileage & a nice colour.

IMO itll take a long time to sell anyway, purely because c.20k is a lot to pay privately.

• Advertisement

I dont think that price is unreasonable. Mk7 GTIs have held their value incredibly well & looking at other cars for sale its about right IMO

It's a bargin for someone at today's price, an expensive car to import even in 142, it's a nice spec & colour, and it's got the cheap tax.
    I'd be holding tuff and asking a few grand more after the better pictures go up, the same car in the UK could be asking €20k with €5k vrt

It's a bargin for someone at today's price, an expensive car to import even in 142, it's a nice spec & colour, and it's got the cheap tax.
    I'd be holding tuff and asking a few grand more after the better pictures go up, the same car in the UK could be asking €20k with €5k vrt

:eek: Are you off your rocker? Objectively speaking, it is not a bargain. If there's 6 year old GTI's with halogens (nice spec?) fetching 25k, please show us a few links...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    :eek: Are you off your rocker? Objectively speaking, it is not a bargain. If there's 6 year old GTI's with halogens (nice spec?) fetching 25k, please show us a few links...

I know they're a thread favourite, but if you're driving in Dublin 99% of the time, Xenons would be the last option I'd tick if ordering a new one. They're nice but far from a necessity.

It's got the sunroof, hardly any miles, it's a nice colour, performance pack, lsd, you wouldn't get one that spec for under 20k up north have a look then you have to add in the vrt and what ever the nox is maybe another 6k. I doubt there were millions sold here and it's not economical import one. It's easy swap the lights.

I know they're a thread favourite, but if you're driving in Dublin 99% of the time, Xenons would be the last option I'd tick if ordering a new one. They're nice but far from a necessity.

The car looks wrong without them.

• Advertisement

Going by done deal that car is worth 22+k all day long.

The car looks wrong without them.

In your opinion. It's not something i'd notice

It's got the sunroof, hardly any miles, it's a nice colour, performance pack, lsd, you wouldn't get one that spec for under 20k up north have a look then you have to add in the vrt and what ever the nox is maybe another 6k. I doubt there were millions sold here and it's not economical import one. It's easy swap the lights.

€19k is a pretty fair price for it now imo. Guess we'll see how quick it goes!
    BTW swapping the lights for genuine Bi Xenon's is not such a straightforward job in any articles i've seen. It could cost up on €2k to do it right.

There are these which give the look but they are actually halogen.

https://www.mcgautostyling.com/vw-golf-7-gti-style-led-headlights.html

Why would you sell it for 19k here when you can advertise it up north for 19k and get 5k back to export it.
    I've noticed on done deal being the cheapest isn't the best strategy especially when you've a well specced car. That one has the right options if your in the market for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The car is well priced. As already said there are hardly any in Ireland so need to look at UK for prices. It's 5k ish VRT, so you'll want one for 14k euro in the UK. That's £12,000.

Subtract flights, petrol, ferry hassle, day of your time....

Not a hope you'd get one for £12k in the UK the same or better.

User1998 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to remove certain driving data from the trip computer. For example if I don’t want to have to scroll through average speed, oil temp. etc and only want to see fuel consumption or current speed. It was possible on the older models but can’t seem to do it in the mk7. Really annoying having to scroll through like 7 different options. Thanks

Yes you can amend the driving data menu through the car menu to select what you want, I added the digital speedo to mine, check the manual.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The car is well priced. As already said there are hardly any in Ireland so need to look at UK for prices. It's 5k ish VRT, so you'll want one for 14k euro in the UK. That's £12,000.

Subtract flights, petrol, ferry hassle, day of your time....

Not sure where 4-5k VRT is coming from I just got a VRT quote of €2,992 on one.

VRT Calculator
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) calculation for vehicle.
    Edit Details
    Your VRT Calculation
    Date01/11/2019
    Time10:12
    Rate of VRT
    19%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €2,992
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    GOLF 2.0 TSI
    Make
    VOLKSWAGEN
    Version
    GTI PERFORMANCE 230PS 5DR
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €35666
    Monthly Adjustment
    +96%
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    C1
    Odometer Reading
    39200 Kilometres
    Date of First Registration
    March 2014
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    54%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €15750
    Revenue CO2 Calculation
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    19%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €2,992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

It was the first thing i noticed, i wasn't even aware you could get a GTI with halogens. If i seen one coming towards me i'd instantly assume it was someone who bought the bits and stuck them on a TDI etc.
    User1998 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to remove certain driving data from the trip computer. For example if I don’t want to have to scroll through average speed, oil temp. etc and only want to see fuel consumption or current speed. It was possible on the older models but can’t seem to do it in the mk7. Really annoying having to scroll through like 7 different options. Thanks

What do people have on display most often ? For me it's oil temp pretty much 100% of the time.

Xenons were originally a deal breaker for me but the car I was driving broke down (again) and was destined for the scrap heap so I just had to buy whatever was on the market at the time. The colour was more important to me than the headlights. Although the original owner specced a sunroof for the price xenons would have cost, I think I've used it about twice in the whole time I've owned the car. I'd have preferred dsg too, and wanted leather but the tartan has grown on me over time and holds up better over time than the leather does.

There's no way the car is worth 25k, I'd be making a profit if I sold it at that :-) I'd expect a garage to put it on the forecourt for about 22-23k and accept somewhere in the region of 21-22. It's a private sale so I have to sell a bit below that.

It probably won't mean much to the average buyer but having been through it myself the new water pump and thermostat with a years warranty should be worth almost as much as your standard crappy 6 month engine and gearbox warranty you'd get off a garage. If you Google it it's a fairly common fault on these cars and an expensive fix.

I've already had one lad telling me it's a great car and he'll take it once he sells his own... I've properly entered the world of donedeal now.

• Advertisement

I thought "in my opinion" is a given and I didn't need to explicitly state it, but in this case it is a fact.

The car is not right without them and would need to be priced accordingly. It was never designed with halogens (e.g. the red stripe that runs through the xenons is also absent). The cheapskates in VW Ireland at the time stripped them out but eventually saw sense in late 2014 and started spec'ing the cars correctly. Retro fitting them correctly is neither cheap nor easy. Is it also missing other items such as climate control, Nav, keyless, all of which were made standard later that year? I expect it is.

As for going up north and selling an early low-spec ROI GTI for 19k up there? Do me a favour.

Apologies for the rant and I don't mean to single out this guys car, but the misinformation posted on here has to be called out.

@Royale with Cheese
    Great post - glad to see someone is being a realist around here! GLWTS

Xenons were originally a deal breaker for me but the car I was driving broke down (again) and was destined for the scrap heap so I just had to buy whatever was on the market at the time. The colour was more important to me than the headlights. Although the original owner specced a sunroof for the price xenons would have cost, I think I've used it about twice in the whole time I've owned the car. I'd have preferred dsg too, and wanted leather but the tartan has grown on me over time and holds up better over time than the leather does.

There's no way the car is worth 25k, I'd be making a profit if I sold it at that :-) I'd expect a garage to put it on the forecourt for about 22-23k and accept somewhere in the region of 21-22. It's a private sale so I have to sell a bit below that.

It probably won't mean much to the average buyer but having been through it myself the new water pump and thermostat with a years warranty should be worth almost as much as your standard crappy 6 month engine and gearbox warranty you'd get off a garage. If you Google it it's a fairly common fault on these cars and an expensive fix.

I've already had one lad telling me it's a great car and he'll take it once he sells his own... I've properly entered the world of donedeal now.

Now this post actually makes sense.

I thought "in my opinion" is a given and I didn't need to explicitly state it, but in this case it is a fact.

Ehh, no it's not. :rolleyes: Something not looking right is subjective, in you and some others opinions it's not right, doesn't make it a fact.

Ehh, no it's not. :rolleyes: Something not looking right is subjective, in you and some others opinions it's not right, doesn't make it a fact.

Someone who wants a GTI, has done their research, knows the car, will spot it immediately. And for a larger proportion of those it will be a deal breaker. In my opinion. All UK cars have had xenons fitted since launch. Another reason why selling it up north is a non runner. In my opinion.

Hopefully the guy finds a buyer like yourself and its a win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

tossy wrote: »
    What do people have on display most often ? For me it's oil temp pretty much 100% of the time.

I typically have speed on the display when driving around town, I move to oil temp if it's the first drive of the day and going for a "spin". For motorway journeys, tend to leave it on real time fuel consumption.

I think once they start hitting the sub 20 price range you'll get a different class of buyer who doesn't know everything there is to know about the MK7 GTi spec or spend a lot of their time posting about it here :-)

I certainly don't think it makes the car unsellable once it's priced right.

Yes - priced right is the key and I'm sure it will shift then.

I'm sure you know yourself that dealers will pull your pants down with trade in offers and DoneDeal merchants are no better, so suggestions of easy 25k sales are pie in the sky.

And there are definitely plenty of lads in the sub 20k bracket who know exactly what spec they want, they're just waiting for them to get cheap enough.

I would suggest joining the Autostadt classifieds FB group if not on it already. It should attract attention on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I think once they start hitting the sub 20 price range you'll get a different class of buyer

There are going to be so many ropey ones for sale in a few years :( I think anyone looking to buy and has researched will definitely be swayed by the water pump work. Best of luck with the sale.
    eljono wrote: »
    I typically have speed on the display when driving around town, I move to oil temp if it's the first drive of the day and going for a "spin". For motorway journeys, tend to leave it on real time fuel consumption.

I’m in denial about fuel consumption real time , average or made up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Not sure where 4-5k VRT is coming from I just got a VRT quote of €2,992 on one.

VRT Calculator
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) calculation for vehicle.
    Edit Details
    Your VRT Calculation
    Date01/11/2019
    Time10:12
    Rate of VRT
    19%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €2,992
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    GOLF 2.0 TSI
    Make
    VOLKSWAGEN
    Version
    GTI PERFORMANCE 230PS 5DR
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €35666
    Monthly Adjustment
    +96%
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    C1
    Odometer Reading
    39200 Kilometres
    Date of First Registration
    March 2014
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    54%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €15750
    Revenue CO2 Calculation
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    19%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €2,992

I just spotted the difference in the model I selected was GTI 230PS 5DR instead of GTI PERFORMANCE 230PS 5DR.

Two different co2 rates which is what they go on, so not sure which one applies.

Your VRT Calculation
    Date01/11/2019
    Time11:44
    Rate of VRT
    23%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €4,777
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    GOLF 2.0 TSI