Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

That looks like an anomaly to be fair, but the system is full of them as we know. I guess you'd need to know which one you were going in with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Google suggests your lower figure is correct.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Google suggests your lower figure is correct.

Is the higher emissions a 7.5 model i wonder, i think they did go up around then as they are more expensive to tax, the manual went to 390 and DSG to 570 i'm nearly sure. The OP's car is only 280 to tax.

Royal with cheese’s mk7 is around the same age now as my mk5 GTi with I bought it so I’d be interested to compare the figures. I know it’s not a direct comparison as it’s a PP and mine is just a standard mk5 but anyway would anyone have a rough new price for a Mk7 PP similar to this one in 2014 and also what a mk5 manual retailed for in 2006. Can’t really find accurate figures for the mk5 especially.

I guess it was the recession hitting prices too. I bought my mk5 at the end of 2011 manual with 70k kms for 8.5k. registered around feb 2006 so was a little under 6 years old.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a pointless exercise without taking inflation, interest rates, the state of the economy etc, into account.

OSI is right about the MK5's they bottomed out quite quickly, then plateaued for a while and since then good ones have remained static around 5k with ropey ones going for anywhere from 1-3k.

I bought an 06 so 7 year old one for €6,700 in 2013, one owner car with 100kms on it, i drove it for 2 years and sold it for €5,500 with 155kms on it. I thought they were really going to drop then but they didn't really get any cheaper than that for a good while. Cheap motoring. Ive lost multiples of that on my MK7 GTD in a year.

They are still a performance car bargain really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, from around 2008-2011 MK5 GTI's plummeted and you could have picked one up cheap enough. No one wanted them, no dealer was really interested in taking one as a trade in. I traded a mint MK5 GTI in 2011 and got bottom dollar for it. Still regret it (traded it for a GTD ffs), it was a lovely car. But they picked up a bit after that again. These days, MK5's are in the bargain bin, you'll get nothing for them and most of them are in bits.

@Nox - in 2014 a new GTI would have started at around 35-36k but the standard spec was abysmal. Adding a few toys, even just the sunroof, wheels and met paint such as on that car, would easily have got you north of 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just on the halogens thing, average Joe car guy probably won't care. I know a few people who have gotten cars around €15-20k in the last few years, they've moved to from the likes of some form of 09 TDI and are getting something fresher with nicer spec, the details don't matter.

They'll see a model they like, like an A3 S-Line in white with particular wheels, as long as the tax, mileage and price is alright then that's all that matters. It will likely end up on Chinese tyres and never see more than €50 on a fill up.

Generalising a bit here, but the average car person probably isn't too fussy.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just on the halogens thing, average Joe car guy probably won't care. I know a few people who have gotten cars around €15-20k in the last few years, they've moved to from the likes of some form of 09 TDI and are getting something fresher with nicer spec, the details don't matter.

They'll see a model they like, like an A3 S-Line in white with particular wheels, as long as the tax, mileage and price is alright then that's all that matters. It will likely end up on Chinese tyres and never see more than €50 on a fill up.

Generalising a bit here, but the average car person probably isn't too fussy as long as they have their badge and reg plate.

There's a lot of truth in that too tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

I looked at a lot of cars before I bought my own and you'd see the strangest specced early Irish MK7s, but I think this one might be the oddest combo I've seen. No LED but having a sunroof and metallic paint is just plain odd.

My opinion would be the same as others who are in our enthusiasts bubble, the halogens are a definite minus point. But that said, I'm still following the pricing on these, and I think it's a competitive price based on what else is on donedeal. Someone who's dying to get into a MK7 for smaller money might be minded to overlook the lights.

• Advertisement

Was someone in a bit of a hurry at the weekend? Spotted on the dashcam thread :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111646472&postcount=833

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

That's a GTD. What horsepower are they putting out btw?

Wailin wrote: »
    That's a GTD. What horsepower are they putting out btw?

184bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

JoeA3 wrote: »
    184bhp.

An ecu flash stage 1 by Revo puts it allegedly at 233bhp.... have this on mine ...... mid range much more punchier but too frenetic for two wheels at full bore. At the end of the day it’s an oil burner with limited power range unlike the petrols

For those not too into the finer spec details (headlights etc) and who are willing to buy privately....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-gti-2015/23086482

For those comparing years & price there's a 2016 from a dealer asking 25k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-p-2-0-tsi-230bhp-top-spec-as/21861133

Those two cars are like comparing chalk and cheese.. yes the dealer car is probably overpriced but it has at least 5k of spec on top of the earlier car, PP wiith diff, 18s, xenons, climate etc. In comparison to royal with cheeses car it is definitely good value compared to the silver car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Whatever about the headlights, those 17" alloys are unforgivable.

Whatever about the headlights, those 17" alloys are unforgivable.

They are horrendous. Surely the 18" wheel option couldn't have been that much extra..

hooch-85 wrote: »
    They are horrendous. Surely the 18" wheel option couldn't have been that much extra..

It was about €550-€600 extra at the time if I recall. Wheels are easily sorted. Lights, climate control, etc not so easily. The miserable feckers didn’t even put parking sensors on them then either.

It was about €550-€600 extra at the time if I recall. Wheels are easily sorted. Lights, climate control, etc not so easily.

That's true. Kevin was telling me about the job he had to retrofit the climate control on a mk6, serious work in it.

• Advertisement

.. yes the dealer car is probably overpriced but it has at least 5k of spec on top of the earlier car, PP wiith diff.....

Is it overpriced?
    I wasn't at all suggesting it is TBH. I'd imagine a tad would come off the asking.

Augeo wrote: »
    Is it overpriced?

It's for sale about 9 or 10 months at this stage, it started off around 28k iirc. Lovely car alright and tiny mileage. It's worth around 24k imo

But if folk reckon the 2014 private sale with halogens looks a bargain at 19k ish surely the 2016 is a total steal at 25k?

But if folk reckon the 2014 private sale with halogens looks a bargain at 19k ish surely the 2016 is a total steal at 25k?

If it was it would be sold a long time ago! I never said the 2014 car was a bargain by the way. I said it was probably a fair asking price as it will be bought cheaper on a private sale.

Again the 2016 is a fair asking price but it's not a main vw dealer so he can't compete with the low interest rates they could offer .

.... I never said the 2014 car was a bargain by the way. I said it was probably a fair asking price as it will be bought cheaper on a private sale.
    ..... .

Apologies.... I didn't think it seemed I was alluding to you. There was talk of it being a bargain.

Anyway, surely the dealer will knock a bit off the asking too? They always do.....

Apologies.... I didn't think it seemed I was alluding to you. There was talk of it being a bargain.

Anyway, surely the dealer will knock a bit off the asking too? They always do.....

No worries. I agree he is probably eager to shift it now, especially if your buying straight deal/cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

A 161 non PP with xenons in white with 59k km sold for €23k at a VW dealer near me last week. They had it for approx. 8 months. They were asking €23,950 having reduced it from €24,950.

It's for sale about 9 or 10 months at this stage, it started off around 28k iirc. Lovely car alright and tiny mileage. It's worth around 24k imo

I've seen that one up for a while. Makes you wonder why it hasn't shifted. Looks a decent example.

I'm so confused by GTI prices, pretty sure I saw 3 year old examples at €30-32k in VW dealers and around €28 in Indies?

Would you expect to get a DSG PP for less than €30k?

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm so confused by GTI prices, pretty sure I saw 3 year old examples at €30-32k in VW dealers and around €28 in Indies?

Would you expect to get a DSG PP for less than €30k?

Low mileage, late 16 or 171, VW dealer should be around 27 or 28. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Someone who wants a GTI, has done their research, knows the car, will spot it immediately. And for a larger proportion of those it will be a deal breaker. In my opinion. All UK cars have had xenons fitted since launch. Another reason why selling it up north is a non runner. In my opinion.

Hopefully the guy finds a buyer like yourself and its a win win.

Jaysus, i’ve Wandered into an episode of The Good Wife.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbxFLA62Bc

Getting back to be what seems to be a touchy subject here, the Bi-Xenons, after a 3 hour round trip this evening,its worth mentioning that they are also adaptive headlights so they shine around bends, not so noticeable in urban areas but when driving on dark country roads like tonight, they really are noticeable, an excellent piece of kit. I'd find it very hard to buy a mk7 without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There better it doesn't mean the car is useless without them, just upgrading the bulbs will give a noticable difference. It's not a reason to avoid the car.

There better it doesn't mean the car is useless without them, just upgrading the bulbs will give a noticable difference. It's not a reason to avoid the car.

I never said it was, I just said it would be hard for me to buy a mk7 without them and they have their merits outside of the looks so it's not surprising that they make the car more desirable to enthusiasts.

I don't believe adaptive lights are very common? I don't think they were even listed as an option on the Mk7.5. Then again they like to remove options on the Irish configurator so it's hard to remember.

If I ever place a factory order again I'll be straight onto the German website, tons of options available there. At the very least I would have spent a fiver on the metal VW logo valve caps :D

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure mine aren't. If they are it's very subtle. Nothing like the ones on the Mrs car or my previous one.

Maybe they discontinued them on the 7.5? I only recently found out my own car has a heated windscreen too which was apparently rare enough on the mk7. It was part of some pack with advanced phone prep.

Just went out to check, they've cornering lights and are adaptive just no way near as obivious as the ones on the second car.

I suspect you'd definitely notice the adaptive headlights on dark windy roads, maybe not in an urban setting as I said earlier. Personally I think they are brilliant but I've never had a car with adaptive headlights before.

Ye just have the standard “cornering” lights. Basically they turn left/right a bit on the twisties. When you start the car and switch on the lights you’ll see them do their up/down/left/right dance. A little tip, the turning effect is much more noticeable if you set them to “Sport” in the settings.

The adaptive xenons which Davy refers to are very rare in Irish cars. That’s where you can drive on main beams and the car automatically trims the beam that would dazzle oncoming cars. Pretty cool tech.

• Advertisement

You're right Joe, they do that dance on start up. I must try change the settings to sport so, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Ye just have the standard “cornering” lights. Basically they turn left/right a bit on the twisties. When you start the car and switch on the lights you’ll see them do their up/down/left/right dance. A little tip, the turning effect is much more noticeable if you set them to “Sport” in the settings.

The adaptive xenons which Davy refers to are very rare in Irish cars. That’s where you can drive on main beams and the car automatically trims the beam that would dazzle oncoming cars. Pretty cool tech.

Its great technology and never seems to get caught out no matter the angle of the bend or difference in height of the approaching car. It also keeps the lights at the level of the registration plate of the car in front while lighting up the road/roadside around it.

You're right Joe, they do that dance on start up. I must try change the settings to sport so, thanks for the tip.

You mean it's not in sport all the time? I'm not sure why eco is there at all, doesn't seem economical at all.

You mean it's not in sport all the time? I'm not sure why eco is there at all, doesn't seem economical at all.

It normally is, what Joe meant was you can change the light setting individually to sport in the menu.

Ah right I've never went into it, was just watching the mpg in different modes when I got it and kinda settled on sport as the economy one after giving a day using the think blue trainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dunno gents, I really dont care :) love this thread but 6 pages of cribbing about is xenons vs halogens, Lord Jaysis. Can we agree to differ?

I dunno gents, I really dont care :) love this thread but 6 pages of cribbing about is xenons vs halogens, Lord Jaysis. Can we agree to differ?

And ironically you felt the need to add to it and offer nothing to the debate. A double whammy.

It’s only 2 pages for me, you can change that in your settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

And ironically you felt the need to add to it and offer nothing to the debate. A double whammy.

It’s only 2 pages for me, you can change that in your settings.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

When the mark 7 gti came out in Ireland first I was interested in one until I saw the standard spec, Halogen lights, 17” alloys etc.
    VW Ireland completely screwed up here. When they saw the error of their ways and added all the kit that should have been there it was a much more desirable car and I bought one.
    I think buyers of mark 7 gti’s of any age are a lot more aware of the car and spec than your average golf buyer and I imagine the early cars will be much harder to shift as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

On my Mk7.5 Golf GTI when I switch off the engine. There is a noise (buzzing / whirring) from the engine compartment seems to stay on for a couple of minutes. Anyone know what it is ? At a guess I was thinking is it some kind of electronic circulation pump running to circulate oil or coolant after shutdown. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement