Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Does anyone run on Miles Plus from
    Circle K? Is it any good?

Nah, it's just "Posh petrol", same RON 95 rating as the Miles petrol, just about 7c per liter more... save your cash and just get the non-plus..

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Time to start a new megathread?

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-leaked-ahead-of-reveal

Still need to see the whole thing, but it looks interesting anyway.

Seems like there's a "GTI" under the VW logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

theintern wrote: »
    Time to start a new megathread?

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-leaked-ahead-of-reveal

Still need to see the whole thing, but it looks interesting anyway.

Seems like there's a "GTI" under the VW logo.

Looks pretty aggressive which I like but the wheels are terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I think I need to see the front before I make a final judgement on it. Those wheels though are awful. I prefer the Mk7.5 standard ones to these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wheels are just mule wheels to get it around i'd say, the one on the ring been driven by 'Mick' has prets on it , i would expect it to come with a brand new range of wheels.

tossy wrote: »
    Wheels are just mule wheels to get it around i'd say, the one on the ring been driven by 'Mick' has prets on it , i would expect it to come with a brand new range of wheels.

I don't know. These ones look like they could be production ones just without the centre cap.

Followed up on this and got someone who realised that the GTI doesn't have a timing belt...

Basically they're going to do the thermostat and water pump both on Monday. Thermostat covered under warranty, and I'll pay for the water pump. He mentioned the water pump costing about 80 euro, and some 'toothed belt' attached to it costing 18, that they're going to order anyway and see if it's needed.

Will report back on how it goes. I'm assuming it's just the guy answering the phone that's getting confused about things, and the mechanic will be well able to work it out when he gets going.

Finishing off on this, got everything sorted on Monday. I won't go into the details but very happy with the service got from Western Motors. Barring the couple of confused phone calls referenced above, they took care of things well and I'm very pleased with how they looked after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The last few times I have power washed the R or after very heavy rain, I've noticed a slight leak on the rear passenger foot well. It's not bad but if you lift up the mat and run your hand along the carpet it's damp.

A common enough problem in the 5 door i think. Any one else had it? Online reports suggest it's coming in through the rear door speaker, there's some sort of gasket/membrane that breaks down and leaks. My car is covered by warranty so I will be getting Daltons to look at it when the car is in but if it was an easy DIY I might get one of my spannerly minded friends to look at it sooner? Last thing i want is the carpet starting to smell.

............. I'd not let water ingress go on for long.
    Is the warranty with VAG directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Check the scuttle under the windscreen. The battery tray has a drain at the bottom that gets clogged with leaves and debris causing it to overflow if the water can't get out fast enough and it comes out through the floor vents

• Advertisement

Check the scuttle under the windscreen. The battery tray has a drain at the bottom that gets clogged with leaves and debris causing it to overflow if the water can't get out fast enough and it comes out through the floor vents

If it was coming in the front wouldn't the front carpets be wet though? It's only the rear passenger footwell that's damp in my case.

Augeo wrote: »
    ............. I'd not let water ingress go on for long.
    Is the warranty with VAG directly?

No, I was told by the garage i bought the car to take the car to whoever i want to get it sorted and he will cover cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

hooch-85 wrote: »
    If it was coming in the front wouldn't the front carpets be wet though? It's only the rear passenger footwell that's damp in my case.

You'd imagine so but strangely not. It's happened me on 2 separate cars (and brands). If you look under front seats from behind, you'll see the plastic vents. I assume because they're the lowest vents, that's where the water heads for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah the rainwater leaks by the speaker in the door. They have a foam gasket 4 or 5mm thick around them and it gets crumbly, the water goes by the gasket, into the inner door card and onto the floor. Iirc the gasket is bonded to the speaker so you have to buy the speaker to get the gasket. The speaker is cheap though, around €30.

There's another issue they are prone to where the body vents behind the back bumper allow rainwater in, it starts to pool in the spare wheel well and the fabric sound deadening soaks up the water and it ends up soaking under the rear bench seat and into the rear footwell. It's an easy, cheap fix too but usually a lot more stuff gets wet which is a PITA.

Yeah the rainwater leaks by the speaker in the door. They have a foam gasket 4 or 5mm thick around them and it gets crumbly, the water goes by the gasket, into the inner door card and onto the floor. Iirc the gasket is bonded to the speaker so you have to buy the speaker to get the gasket. The speaker is cheap though, around €30.

There's another issue they are prone to where the body vents behind the back bumper allow rainwater in, it starts to pool in the spare wheel well and the fabric sound deadening soaks up the water and it ends up soaking under the rear bench seat and into the rear footwell. It's an easy, cheap fix too but usually a lot more stuff gets wet which is a PITA.

I'll check both of those cheers. I don't think there is any water in the spare wheel well. Hopefully it is the speaker. I don't want to go messing with the doorcard though, a lot of times they are fiddly things to get back on right. The door itself doesn't seem wet though but the amount of water getting in is really small so maybe I wouldn't notice it on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Finishing off on this, got everything sorted on Monday. I won't go into the details but very happy with the service got from Western Motors. Barring the couple of confused phone calls referenced above, they took care of things well and I'm very pleased with how they looked after me.

I used them when my GTi was under warranty and found them good too. They also thought that mine had a belt and not a chain:D

Had this issue on my old TDI, and a friend has just this week found the exact same issue on his. It seems very common. Haven't run into either of the above on my GTI yet thankfully. It took me a while to work it out, but it's a cheap enough job to get fixed.

Microfibre cloths were a godsend for mopping up water, and as soon as you notice it, you're as well to pull out the rear carpet and, if it's gotten wet, the rear bench seat to dry them out inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Good price on this Cupra, they seem to depreciate a lot heavier than their VW or Audi stablemates

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2465990&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D673%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2014%26g%3D0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Good price on this Cupra, the seem to depreciate a lot heavier than their VW or Audi stablemates

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2465990&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D673%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2014%26g%3D0

I think it’s expensive - with discounts available two years ago that could have been bought for less than 35k. The price jumped a lot last year with changes to the VRT really hurting this model.

Nice car all the same but not worth 30k

They don't have the AWD do they?

Casati wrote: »
    I think it’s expensive - with discounts available two years ago that could have been bought for less than 35k. The price jumped a lot last year with changes to the VRT really hurting this model.

Nice car all the same but not worth 30k

I didn't realise they could be got that cheap in 2018. I remember test driving a manual one and the garage in Limerick was asking 38k for it!
    Also Pierse motors in Tipp had an estate 2017 manual with more miles up last month for 28k and it sold in a number of days, so this is not bad value in my book anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

An 18 month old Cupra DSG can be €32-34k, a year old DSG (the blue one that was/available with 2019 spec) is €37k with digital dash, rear camera and sunroof standard.

18 month manual for €30k? Not too bad? I'd consider one of they had ACC, they're a nice car. If I really can't find a GTI I'll likely end up in one. I'd be looking for 2019 spec though.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    An 18 month old Cupra DSG can be €32-34k, a year old DSG (the blue one that was/available with 2019 spec) is €37k with digital dash, rear camera and sunroof standard.

18 month manual for €30k? Not too bad?

The ad says manual but the pics look as is if it's DSG.

The ad says manual but the pics look as is if it's DSG.

I think that's a fair price for an 18 month old DSG Cupra. I'm surprised as how much they depreciate as there's an obvious demand for them, McCoy's get quite a few of them and they sell quick, whether is a 3 year old model, a 1 year old or even new. See more of them than GTI PP.

I'd consider a 2019 spec if they had ACC like the UK does. Might even have to consider losing ACC if I can't find a GTI PP.

• Advertisement

I think that's a fair price for an 18 month old DSG Cupra. I'm surprised as how much they depreciate as there's an obvious demand for them, McCoy's get quite a few of them and they sell quick, whether is a 3 year old model, a 1 year old or even new. See more of them than GTI PP.

I'd consider a 2019 spec if they had ACC like the UK does. Might even have to consider losing ACC if I can't find a GTI PP.

I agree I think they are good value and they always sell very quickly.

They don't have the AWD do they?

I think the estate version is AWD

It’s a manual though, at least that what the add says.

List new was 36k, add In 1500 for Met and delivery and take off 4K discount which was available at the time and it was 33.5k new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

List new was 36k, add In 1500 for Met and delivery and take off 4K discount which was available at the time and it was 33.5k new

That's what grinds my gears with second hand prices of Cupras. Dealers price these cars according how much new one costs now after price increase. Not how much these costed back then. It was 36k car back then and 40k car now.
    So it looks now that in lost so much value compared to new, where in reality that car never costed 40k+-+, but it looks now like a good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It's not a manual, look at the gear stick. My ex-demo Cupra would have been 48k list (but who pays that)

It's not a manual, look at the gear stick.

I mentioned this earlier but he chose to ignore me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's what grinds my gears with second hand prices of Cupras. Dealers price these cars according how much new one costs now after price increase. Not how much these costed back then. It was 36k car back then and 40k car now.
    So it looks now that in lost so much value compared to new, where in reality that car never costed 40k+-+, but it looks now like a good value.

They price them are what people will pay. If the price of a new one dropped by 10k so would 2nd hand ones.

I'm very sure the Cupra was €40k in 2018/19, possibly even late 2017. They're €41,5k now plus metallic and delivery. Second hand prices are pretty firm but they always offered me a decent trade-in. They were selling some new pre-reg ones with €3-4k discount.

That said, still a lot of car for 30k.

I'm very sure the Cupra was €40k in 2018/19, possibly even late 2017. They're €41,5k now plus metallic and delivery. Second hand prices are pretty firm but they always offered me a decent trade-in. They were selling some new pre-reg ones with €3-4k discount.

That said, still a lot of car for 30k.

My PCP runs out in May, so my plan is to find a Leon Cupra for around 30k in Feb/March. If that Leon is dsg, then it's right up my alley then.
    Would love an estate more though.
    It was 2017 when they were still 36k. It was 2018 when they went up to 40k. Right now they have 2k off brand new Leon's with 0%. The demo 192 for 36k, does not look like good value when you have 2.9% apr PCP on it. Might as well go brand new.

I always keep an eye on Cupras and they keep their value very well. Any Leon Cupra that is sold by dealer disappears very fast, the private sold ones, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bazz26 wrote: »

I'm going to have to stop following this thread. It's all too sweet shop like for me. The Cupra's are epic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I agree, Cupras are epic!

My PCP runs out in May, so my plan is to find a Leon Cupra for around 30k in Feb/March. If that Leon is dsg, then it's right up my alley then.
    Would love an estate more though.
    It was 2017 when they were still 36k. It was 2018 when they went up to 40k. Right now they have 2k off brand new Leon's with 0%. The demo 192 for 36k, does not look like good value when you have 2.9% apr PCP on it. Might as well go brand new.

I always keep an eye on Cupras and they keep their value very well. Any Leon Cupra that is sold by dealer disappears very fast, the private sold ones, not so much.

https://m.carzone.ie/car-reviews/SEAT/Leon-ST-CUPRA/2018/601

They were still from 36k in 2018.

I remember pricing an ST Cupra and getting it under 35k inc some essential extras - heated seats and nav. I had a worry about resale in my head I bought a 41k Superb Sportline TDI which I’m finding hard to sell now at 26k!

They are great cars but few sold since they went over 40k but the rarity has kept pricing high.

• Advertisement

https://m.carzone.ie/car-reviews/SEAT/Leon-ST-CUPRA/2018/601

They were still from 36k in 2018.

I remember pricing an ST Cupra and getting it under 35k inc some essential extras - heated seats and nav. I had a worry about resale in my head I bought a 41k Superb Sportline TDI which I’m finding hard to sell now at 26k!

They are great cars but few sold since they went over 40k but the rarity has kept pricing high.

It just they were and are still really good value. Cupra come with a lot of standard equipment, wheres with something like golf it was always more expensive, and where ever you look at it was an extra.
    Now it's just personal opinion, but I find Cupra a way better looking car. It is a bit more stealthy too. I could get golf now too, but I want Cupra.
    Who knew, Seat kept value better then anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

If anyone is looking for a Cupra in July my 172 dsg with acc will be traded then. Currently has 23k on it so probably 27 by then.

Ionised wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a Cupra in July my 172 dsg with acc will be traded then. Currently has 23k on it so probably 27 by then.

I'd possibly be interested in. Estate or hatchback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Ionised wrote: »

What are they like on Petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

My Cupra is the hatch. Metallic grey.
    Fuel wise its averaged 9.4l/100km over the last 2 and a bit years. Most of that has been city driving. Just back from 1500km trip around the UK and it averaged 7.7l/100km on that journey.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Augeo wrote: »
    I think the estate version is AWD

No not all of them. It’ll say 4Drive on the rear if it is. :)

The manual version of the Cupra ST is FWD and the DSG version is AWD.

One thing I like about the Cupra is how subtle it looks. The Leon is a bit round and more boring than a Golf. Of the few Leons around, they blend in a bit better with the FR spec. Same LEDs, similar wheels and both have exhausts out the back.

GTI front end is aggressive and recognisable and even with the R-Line there's some noticeable differences with the R. No exhaust, different lights, smaller wheels etc.
    SaintsYB wrote: »
    The manual version of the Cupra ST is FWD and the DSG version is AWD.

The Cupra ST DSG is still FWD, 4Drive isn't standard. I've seen a few ST's for sale and only one or two of them were 4Drive. I drove an ST last year, if it was AWD I would have launched it :)

The Cupra ST DSG is still FWD, 4Drive isn't standard. I've seen a few ST's for sale and only one or two of them were 4Drive. I drove an ST last year, if it was AWD I would have launched it :)

Oh, I could have sworn it came as standard on the DSG model.

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Oh, I could have sworn it came as standard on the DSG model.

I think it depends on the market, I think Autogefühl had one that was AWD as standard for the German market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement