Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Was on the M18 recently lateish at night and was just being cautious myself luckily as I passed an on ramp I could see dim lights sitting there and know straight away that it would be a speed check. One car shot past me followed by another soon after, a little break and another really tearing it - this was the squad car (no lights or sirens). They caught up to a pulled the second slower car, so the faster car got away with it, poxed with luck!

Those on ramps are favourite hiding spots... I’ve had a few near misses myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That's back on the road. So are the 2 Focus ST

That’s good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, that Grey Cupra for 29.995eu went to POA. Any ideas why they did that?
    Considering it is a manual 2018. It looks like it's kind of overpriced. Pretty sure that 4k deal off Leon was going around at that time.
    Any ideas why they would take price off?

Edit: okay, who the feck bought that Leon, I bet someone from here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Hey anyone any thoughts on this? I think it’s a little over priced for a 2017? Especially in a dealer. I know it has low mileage? Wish it was also the Oryx white . I don’t know if I should go look... I think the price would plummet on this in 6 months.

2017 Volkswagen Golf
    GTD TDI 2.0 184 PS D…
    €29,950 - 23,000 m / 37,014 km, 2.0 Diesel

http://www.denisdarcycars.ie/vehicles/volkswagen/golf/meath/2485883

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

easyvision wrote: »
    Hey anyone any thoughts on this? I think it’s a little over priced for a 2017? Especially in a dealer. I know it has low mileage?
    It's well priced and would expect that pricing in a main/official VW dealers with a full service history from that same dealer, and of course it not being a UK Import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's well priced and would expect that pricing in a main/official VW dealers with a full service history from that same dealer, and of course it not being a UK Import.

Oh in a VW dealership would be ok but a second hand car dealer and if a UK import I think it’s overpriced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

easyvision wrote: »
    Oh in a VW dealership would be ok but a second hand car dealer and if a UK import I think it’s overpriced?

Pretty much my point yes... I'd expect less of a premium for a non-franchised dealer, and who brings it over from the UK(where prices are a bit cheaper).

Never said it was "Ok"(good) by the way, just that i'd expect that price in a main franchised dealers(premium prices)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Was on the M18 recently lateish at night and was just being cautious myself luckily as I passed an on ramp I could see dim lights sitting there and know straight away that it would be a speed check. One car shot past me followed by another soon after, a little break and another really tearing it - this was the squad car (no lights or sirens). They caught up to a pulled the second slower car, so the faster car got away with it, poxed with luck!

This happened me on Sunday night! I was the 2nd slower car:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

This happened me on Sunday night! I was the 2nd slower car:(

Bunratty? They live on that on ramp unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Can the headlight washer be turned off? I understand xenon lights require them but it's not really necessary every time I drive (which is mostly in the dark these days)

What is the correct name for the rubber strip which scrapes the windows when they're put down? Is it a seal? Scraper? Anyway - can they be replaced easily. My driver door seal is in sh1te and it actually makes the window dirtier when I put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You can turn the headlight washer off with diagnostics using VCDS or a code reader like OBD 11. I'm sure that seal can be replaced, I wonder was your car sitting on a forecourt for a while and perished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

No it was only there about 3 weeks between being traded in and me collecting it.

I'll dig around google

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    No it was only there about 3 weeks between being traded in and me collecting it.

I'll dig around google

You should be able to clean it I imagine?

Lads, that Grey Cupra for 29.995eu went to POA. Any ideas why they did that?
    Considering it is a manual 2018. It looks like it's kind of overpriced. Pretty sure that 4k deal off Leon was going around at that time.
    Any ideas why they would take price off?

Edit: okay, who the feck bought that Leon, I bet someone from here! :D

That car was a DSG, the detail in the ad was wrong. I said all along it was good value, guess someone agreed with me as it didn't hang around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Anyone on here have a Golf 7.5 GTD Estate?

My '10 vRS has 348500 km on it now and components are starting to really wear, so looking into buying a second hand car if the vRS packs in.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That car was a DSG, the detail in the ad was wrong. I said all along it was good value, guess someone agreed with me as it didn't hang around.

If that was dsg, then it was perfect for me. Not perfect timing wise. I planned late February and March for change.
    But the way it goes now, I think as soon as something comes in I need to grab it by the tail.

Yeah you really do need to be in a position to pounce on the good stuff.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yeah you really do need to be in a position to pounce on the good stuff.

I plan to going to my seat dealer and tell them if they can source on for me. ( We talked about it before )
    And I want to try and test drive/price 5 door
    New Fiesta ST too.
    Right now, these are main two options.

I am keeping an eye on Cupra for at least a year now and they don't hang around if sold by dealers. The price is very firm too, losing very little value.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Guys whats the Nox value on a 17 reg Golf R Mk 7.5 310PS ? From what i see its 14 and the cost is €70.00 if importing
    ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

I think your right I found one with 0.13 which is €65

2016 models seem to be a bit higher around €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

Golf mark 8 UK pricelist - i see a big jump in price from the outgoing model so looks like it will be touching €30k here for entry model. i haven't looked at the specs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Which dealerships offer the best value for PCP/HP/leasing terms on MK7 Golfs at the moment? Living in North Dublin, but would travel for the right deal.

If I can't buy the car as a commercial vehicle - 2 seats and windows blanked out with boot space in back, I'd do it myself. Looking to purchase it through my company an get rid of my MK6 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Which dealerships offer the best value for PCP/HP/leasing terms on MK7 Golfs at the moment? Living in North Dublin, but would travel for the right deal.

If I can't buy the car as a commercial vehicle - 2 seats and windows blanked out with boot space in back, I'd do it myself. Looking to purchase it through my company an get rid of my MK6 2011

Don’t think they are selling Golf vans but you’d get a used MK7 ex vat and VW will have a standard option.

You won’t get a GTI/ GTD van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Might have to stretch to a R if you want a fast van

Conversions aren't vans according to revenue.

Augeo wrote: »

Hmm. I work in construction and most of the largest construction consultancies and companies give their staff an MK7 golf with 2 seats in the front and the back all boot space. Unless I’m wrong this is because you can get cheap annual tax etc as it’s classified then as a commercial vehicle for business? I met a guy as recent as yesterday from Sisk who has one. I’m not saying a van in particular.
    But people do similar with their jeeps - kit out the back as a large boot and blank out the rear windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

the Golf van which came from the factory as a Van finished last year and won’t be back In the near future.

If you are buying new you can pretty much convert whatever you want to a van, by the time you have the VRT reduction taken into account with the cost of conversion it would work our nearly the same price but you could claim back the VAT and tax and CVRT it commercially.

We’ve done Tiguan’s, Golfs etc etc

So you could have a GTD van, but it would want to be a long term investment as it’d probably be a hard sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I had two golf Van's. I've my own business. I changed for two reasons wanted something sporty (got an R ) and secondly insurance on a commercial was getting silly twice what I pay on the R. Lower road tax was wiped out by having to doe every year. Added your not meant to drive them for personal use. If you want a golf. Just buy a normal one. Less hassle

Thanks for the replies.

What's the best or main website for second hand at the moment or did you go to a dealer?

The way DAFT.ie is the main rental site - what is it for cars. Used to be auto trader in the north but now usedcarsni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get yourself one of these kits https://www.smythkitcars.com/jetta-golf-ute if you want a Ute they ship to Ireland, lads here will hang you high if you do it to an Irish one but this yellow reg is fair game https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-volkswagen-golf-r32/24113775

Hmm. I work in construction and most of the largest construction consultancies and companies give their staff an MK7 golf with 2 seats in the front and the back all boot space. Unless I’m wrong this is because you can get cheap annual tax etc as it’s classified then as a commercial vehicle for business? I met a guy as recent as yesterday from Sisk who has one. I’m not saying a van in particular.
    But people do similar with their jeeps - kit out the back as a large boot and blank out the rear windows?

Hmmmmmmmmmm ..........the vehicles you are on referring to are vans / 2 seat commercials from new effectively.

The cheap annual tax isn't the main advantage for a business, it's the VAT off the purchase price etc. For the driver it's 5% BIK. For self employed folk VAT off the diesel and the diesel being bought by the company is also advantageous.

Commercial motor tax is €333/annum.

Augeo wrote: »

Are you referring to BIK? Because you can certainly commercially tax, commercially VRT, reclaim VAT etc on conversions. Also as LM pointed out, many conversions are done in the country prior to registration and therefore count as a van for everything as far as Im aware.

...........Also as LM pointed out, many conversions are done in the country prior to registration and therefore count as a van for everything as far as Im aware.

That's considered from new.

I was replying to someone who was going to "If I can't buy the car as a commercial vehicle - 2 seats and windows blanked out with boot space in back, I'd do it myself"

Try reclaiming the VAT on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Probably a stupid question but is there a standard cruise control option for when ACC is disabled by snow cover? I was using the speed limiter as an alternative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but is there a standard cruise control option for when ACC is disabled by snow cover? I was using the speed limiter as an alternative...

The only answer to that is you should DEFINITELY not be using your cruise control in snow conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Noticed that it was disabled this morning because of the snowfall. Didn't ever see that in any of my other golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Quazzie wrote: »
    The only answer to that is you should DEFINITELY not be using your cruise control in snow conditions.

Probably a bit of a stretch to call it snow. It wasn't sticking and the road conditions were grand. Just enough to block the sensor, when I got to work there was nothing even on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Noticed that it was disabled this morning because of the snowfall. Didn't ever see that in any of my other golfs.

The sensor was covered. Clean it and it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Yeah I thought as much. The car is snow free now so should be fine later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My front assist sensor stopped working for a while this morning during a snow/sleet shower as well

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

That's happened to me in heavy rain too, I think the speed limiter is the only option when the acc is disabled by snow etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Jesus it's even more uninspiring looking than the last R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

So bland.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that's just a test mule. It will look a lot different in a proper colour with decent wheels.

Still think it will be hard to beat the MK7 & 7.5 though, for the same reason why I think the MK5 GTi is a more desirable car than a MK6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah I thought as much. The car is snow free now so should be fine later.

You can’t use normally cruise control when the sensor is blocked, but as pointed out if the sensor is blocked enough you probably shouldn’t be using it.

That said I never thought to use the limiter when it is blocked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

Hoping it looks better in the flesh but first impressions are 'blurgh'

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I'll wait and see what it's like once it's fully unveiled but I still have a hard time liking that front end design with those headlights.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement