Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it metallic black, might be worth getting a ceramic coating, will look super and a bit easier keep clean. Well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Is it metallic black, might be worth getting a ceramic coating, will look super and a bit easier keep clean. Well wear.

I think it is but not 100% sure! I think I might look into it for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Apart from the lack of any physical buttons on the infotainment and that light grey colour, I’m really liking the ST. The black and copper wheels, 4 exhausts, start/stop & Cupra buttons on the steering wheel and usb c ports front and back. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't like the front at all, side profile and rear look good. I like the sharp design line in the side and the rear LED strip.

Regarding the inside, after seeing the video it isn't as bad as I thought. The Cupra and Start/Stop button on the wheel look cool, reminds me of the start button on a Ferrari, and the angular air vents look savage, reminds me of the Huracan. I'm a fan of sharp lines and angles.

Door panels have a nice design, nice interior lighting. The bulge on the steering wheel is a bit weird but overall I like the lines of the dashboard. Again, not a fan of stick out screens but oh well. I have 2-3 years to get used to it before a used one becomes affordable!

For the love of Christ I hope the Irish models have ACC on them...

I'm warming to this more than the Golf, I'll have to check out the videos of that again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Seriously considering a Cupra ST next year if the pricing is ok. Everything from the Volkswagen group seems to be increasing in price over the past few years. Having said that it's great that there are 'GTI' and 'R' power outputs of it. The lower powered is probably the sweet spot in terms of value but who can resist extra horsepower and awd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

easyvision wrote: »
    Apparently it was a demo sold originally by them in 2017. VW Michael Moore. Apparently people were still calling the next day after the ad was taken down. I saw it go up an evening and put a deposit next morning. Been waiting about 6 months for the spec from a VW garage so couldn’t let it pass! Still a novelty to drive an auto, love it!

I got my GTI there and was told a similar story when I picked it up by the salesman. I wonder if it's one of his stock lines :rolleyes:

Lovely looking car. Well wear!

theintern wrote: »
    I got my GTI there and was told a similar story when I picked it up by the salesman. I wonder if it's one of his stock lines :rolleyes:

Lovely looking car. Well wear!

Thanks, could be one of his lines so! though it has upgraded audio system and the brakes so maybe maybe not, not sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

easyvision wrote: »
    Thanks, could be one of his lines so! though it has upgraded audio system and the brakes so maybe maybe not, not sure!

To be fair everytime I rang a place that had an R I wanted it was gone

Yeah to be fair I think newer model GTi/GTD/R seems to be in demand and not many in Ireland especially DSG! Driving seems so much more relaxed now with an auto I must say I would never go back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

If anyone knows anyone in the market for an R send them my way.

tossy wrote: »
    If anyone knows anyone in the market for an R send them my way.

Have you an ad for it up yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Killinator wrote: »
    Have you an ad for it up yet?

Only on the forums and someone posted it for me on the asutostadt FB page.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?29433-2016-Golf-R-DSG-3DR-white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What's next tossy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan Leaf....

tossy wrote: »
    Only on the forums and someone posted it for me on the asutostadt FB page.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?29433-2016-Golf-R-DSG-3DR-white
    That's a whole lotta spec. Whoever buys that will be very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

At long last gents, the GTI and GTD have been revealed. The bucket seats are nice as is the optional Akrapovic exhaust but 17" wheels are standard which is disappointing. I still can't make my mind up on the styling of the Mk8 in general though.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-volkswagen-gti-gtd-and-gte-family-revealed-in-full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Christ I hope those fog lights things are a piss take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

SaintsYB wrote: »
    At long last gents, the GTI and GTD have been revealed. The bucket seats are nice as is the optional Akrapovic exhaust but 17" wheels are standard which is disappointing. I still can't make my mind up on the styling of the Mk8 in general though.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-volkswagen-gti-gtd-and-gte-family-revealed-in-full

Rotten. Looks bloated and with the exception of jarring front it all just seems extremely generic.

L-M wrote: »
    Christ I hope those fog lights things are a piss take

It looks like they just took the fog lights from the Megane RS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Strange press pics. Choosing red paint for the GTI means that the red highlight isn't that visible or obvious, it just blends in. As one of the main identifiers of a GTI, I would have expected this to be more obvious.

I don't think any of the alloys shown suit the cars and generally the styling, to my eyes, is not as well executed as the Mk7.5. Hopefully they'll look better on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Full review - Autogefühl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE

Looks great imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Not sure overall.

I do like the wide daytime running light, the seats and steering wheel look really great, the smart climate seems like a good idea, the rear looks decent.

They should not have used a red car. The wheels aren't great. Just don't really like the front, or it just hasn't grown on me yet.

Will wait to see in the flesh to make up my mind

Dunno it should be able to look good in red without trying. From the side it looks like a fabia or something and the front looks like the frilly bit at the end of a nightie. Maybe it might look better in the flesh but as is I don't think it looks better than the current one.

Looks much better in video review compared to pics so hopefully that trend continues when viewed in person.
    I do like that the strip across the front grill is a DRL, it's a cool touch although it'll obscure the signifying colour stripes I think.
    Placement of GTI/GTD/GTE badge is weird and somehow makes the rear look like an SUV.
    Interior is very nice especially the seats although it'd be nice if the steering wheel was sportier looking.

Nothing, NOTHING, can save those wheels, especially the GTI set.
    Hideous. Even since the Monzas on the Mk5 VW seem to insist on 'updating' that design instead of trying something new. Reminds me of a swastika looking at them and at 17" as standard (and knowing how we love standard over here) they'll stand out even more.

Doesn't really matter what it looks like, Golf folk will just buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

The front looks terrible. Those fog lights look hideous, I thought the GTD in the video looked the best of the lot without them. Also the lower honeycomb grille on the GTI looks almost transparent with the size of the holes in the grille, the radiator is on full show and is going to get peppered with stone damage I'd imagine.

Did anyone else notice the section of the front bumper that holds the number plate doesn't appear big enough to hold a standard EU plate? The plate overhangs the bumper slightly.

The rear end looks good, however I really wish they'd left the GTI badge in the corner and not moved it up into the centre, it just looks wrong to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

I like;

- I think the DRL set up looks quite good actually, I think it'll look quite cool from the front in the dark with the bar across and the honeycomb fogs.
    - Seats look good to me.

Don't like;

- Touch sensitive buttons in the cockpit. Haptic feedback better be good.
    - The standard wheels are horrific. Just awful, but there'll be other options.
    - Doesn't look good from the side
    - No wireless android auto
    - Middle badge
    - Looks more cheap with the lack of the hydraulic strut and the exposed key holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It definitely looks better in the video than the pics on the Evo website. So that's a positive.

The seats look pretty cool.

The wheels are absolutely horrific, and they are too small. A nicer set of 18s or 19s will make a MASSIVE difference to the looks of the car.

Not having wireless Android Auto seems silly. With regards to digital buttons on the steering wheel, I drove a Mercedes B class recently that had those and they were awful. I hope VW do a better job.

Overall though I just can't get past the wheels :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Does anyone honestly believe that the looks really matter on the new GTI?
    It’s the same every time a new generation arrives, it looks a lot like the last one but will be a couple of percent better everywhere and will be as good as they always are.
    I think it looks just about ok but a lot of new car design is awful at the moment particularly BMW and I’m a big fan of VW and BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

That's true, it's a damned sight better looking than the new 1 series.

I think the Cupra might be a better looker overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Looks matter very much to car enthusiasts. I was all set to get a new 2020 Audi A4 to replace my 161 A4......until I saw the facelift model.

I tried hard to love it but I really disliked it, even in the flesh, and settled for a new Passat R-Line instead.

Car lovers can be a very picky bunch. :)

maddness wrote: »
    Does anyone honestly believe that the looks really matter on the new GTI?.

What a strange comment...

The front looks brutal, agreed the rest looks very similar to previous gens.

Maybe it will look better in the metal but they nailed it with the Mk7.

Comhra wrote: »
    Looks matter very much to car enthusiasts. I was all set to get a new 2020 Audi A4 to replace my 161 A4......until I saw the facelift model.

I tried hard to love it but I really disliked it, even in the flesh, and settled for a new Passat R-Line instead.

Car lovers can be a very picky bunch. :)

Passat R-line is a great looking machine!

Logan Roy wrote: »
    What a strange comment...

The front looks brutal, agreed the rest looks very similar to previous gens.

Maybe it will look better in the metal but they nailed it with the Mk7.

I suppose what I really mean is the car is gonna sell brilliantly like it always does regardless of somewhat strange looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I suppose what I really mean is the car is gonna sell brilliantly like it always does regardless of somewhat strange looks.

The new Civic Type R would like a word...

It'll probably end up growing on us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I think the GTD looks very nice, far nicer than the GTI especially those wheels. That DRL across the bonnet is a bit crap though, not a fan at all.

Interior looks good, although not sure I like the "mini" gear selector. I guess it does give a less cluttered look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think the reason the gtd looks better in the presentation is the larger better looking alloy and the grey colour is nicer than flat red and white of the other two.
    It’s unusual though for a gti not to look good in the classic red colour. Overall the gti looks frumpy And bloated but I think those standard alloys really detracts from the overall look.
    Inside is good especially the seats
    I have a feeling that a dsg gti with upgraded alloys and a few extras will be a 50k car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orangeparrot

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That's true, it's a damned sight better looking than the new 1 series.

I think the Cupra might be a better looker overall.

I was looking forward to seeing what VW came up with, but I agree I think the Cupra looks better, minus the badge. Tempted to swap from my Cupra 280, but will have to see it in person first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I think the reason the gtd looks better in the presentation is the larger better looking alloy and the grey colour is nicer than flat red and white of the other two.
    It’s unusual though for a gti not to look good in the classic red colour. Overall the gti looks frumpy And bloated but I think those standard alloys really detracts from the overall look.
    Inside is good especially the seats
    I have a feeling that a dsg gti with upgraded alloys and a few extras will be a 50k car though.

It's actually a metallic red now on the Mk8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

SaintsYB wrote: »
    It's actually a metallic red now on the Mk8.

Won’t be a free colour any more so☹️.

On first impressions the Seat Cupra is the better looking car. It will be interesting to see the comparison reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

everlast75 wrote: »

Saw a few posts about that garage selling clocked/crashed cars

On first impressions the Seat Cupra is the better looking car. It will be interesting to see the comparison reviews.

It probably won't be, unfortunately.

The Cupra looks like a far better thought-out car to me. It looks like an evolution of the last model, which was a very nice looking car itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Seat is gone, it’s a Cupra Leon now

I’ve just watched the Carwow YouTube video on the new GTI and it looks better than in pictures and the metallic red looks like a great colour too.
    I’ll reserve judgment on it until I see one on the roads here, plenty of cars I’ve seen online and not liked have looked a lot better in the metal. Plenty have looked worse too!

The M135i is testament to that, great looking car in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The M135i is testament to that, great looking car in the flesh.

I hope you're not talking about the new one cos it's hideous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OSI wrote: »
    Of course the looks matter. Skipped the Mk6 entirely myself cause it looked like a Chinese knock off of the Mk5.

For petrol head looks matters. We all had cars, which we park, and walk away from, but before we go, we have another look at it.
    And then we all had cars, that we just get out of, lock it, and walk away.

I always preferred Cupra, then went Golf and lastly Octavia.
    In this new generation it's Cupra, then Octavia and golf dead last. It just looks.... Meh. As someone mentioned already, Megane RS lights just don't work.... It does not work for Megane too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement