Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The M135i is testament to that, great looking car in the flesh.

That new 1 series has to be the worst looking car on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I hope you're not talking about the new one cos it's hideous.

I thought it looked hideous in pictures really liked it up close, the proper m not a fake one.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

Just re-watched that Autogefuhl video and big thing that sticks out aside from the styling which is subjective is the cheapness and backward steps VW have taken from the Mk7.

Here's some that stuck out:
    Hydraulic bonnet strut removed
    Door sill led light and metal GTI scuff plates removed
    The rear diffuser is a block of solid plastic, honeycomb detail removed
    The engine cover is a generic cover, VW logo and TSI logo removed
    Key hole visible in front doors, plastic cover removed
    245bhp engine but they drop the mechanical limited slip diff for an XDS system (current 245bhp GTI comes with the mechanical diff)

Also it doesn't look like they have properly painted all internal surfaces, like under the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Sat into BMW m135i in the dealer.
    I have to agree with Drunkmonkey a much better looking car in the metal. Still not going to win any beauty contests mind.
    The new Ford Focus ST is the best looker outside I think of the current generation of hot hatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Same here, sat in one yesterday and very impressed with it's interior. Streets ahead of the current golf and it felt very spacious. It looks way better in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I don't know lads, i can't get over that front grill and headlights. It just looks wrong to me.

@MaxQ I agree, it really looks as if they have taken a step backwards build quality wise.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I don't know lads, i can't get over that front grill and headlights. It just looks wrong to me.

@MaxQ I agree, it really looks as if they have taken a step backwards build quality wise.

I’m really surprised they’ve dropped the mechanical front diff as that was a stand out feature on the performance model on the mark 7 and was widely praised. Going back to the electronic diff seems like a retrograde step.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I’m really surprised they’ve dropped the mechanical front diff as that was a stand out feature on the performance model on the mark 7 and was widely praised. Going back to the electronic diff seems like a retrograde step.

It's likely a money grab by VW. They'll release a performance version in due course with the mechanical diff but you'll be parting with more cash for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That mk8 gti is not a good looking car, I would be holding onto my 7 for a while if I still had one. The 7.5 with the updated lights is a good looking car, and I think will age well.

It's been 4 months now since I sold my gti and 3 since I picked up my Model 3, for anyone interested in a comparison...

The Tesla is a "nicer" more pleasant car to travel in. I love the minimalist interior and the screen. The seats are pleather but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I think they're great. It's faster in a straight line that the golf but in terms of driving for fun I'd say that's about the only advantage it has. I'm no car expert so can't give you an in depth review but I just don't have the desire to throw this car around some back roads like I would have done with the golf, probably due to the added weight. That said I'm driving it quite conservatively at the moment because I don't have a home charger (the range isn't great and going heavy on the accelerator makes it pretty awful), maybe my opinion would change slightly if I was making more regular use of that acceleration.

I'm pretty happy with my decision but only because I was able to expense the car through the company, I wouldn't be advising anyone to trade their golf and spend €50k of their own money on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As mentioned in the Autogefühl video, how many people actually care for the gas strut, it's the little details that make VW better. You could say the same for the felt door pockets, dampened glove box etc but the little features are what makes it a nice car. If people don't want an 8" screen, digital dash etc they just get a cheaper trim level but at least a paddy spec Golf is still a Golf.

If we didn't want this or that we'd buy a Dacia.

Real shame to exclude a gas strut. Might as well get rid of the bloody armrest while you're at it. Looks like rear cupholders are no longer adjustable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I imagine ECS or one of the tuning houses will do a retrofit gas strut fairly soon.

I like the look of it, i have to say, the interior is spot on. The only thing i can't really warm to is the shape of the headlights but i'm sure when i see one well spec'd with Matrix LEDs i'll warm to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, look at T-roc. Those are now very plasticy inside too. So it looks like other VW brands trying to go up-market and VW started to cut corners.
    I guess they are putting all those screens and stuff instead and trying to keep price similar to old model as much as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's amusing is that the new Octavia which is perceived as a "cheaper" Golf will come with gas struts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

Seen a dealer advertising a standard new golf, Laharts in Kilkenny.

A sorry looking yoke it was. And whoever is in charge of designing wheels at VW needs to be handed their P45 because the standard spec one had alloys that look liked they were trying to look like hub caps!

Base models are always made to look "lesser" than higher trim models because they are cheaper and to encourage customers to opt for the higher more expensive trim. Look at a pre 152 base model Mk7 and you will see an even worse baron yoke. Same with a pre 152 base GTi - 17" alloys, halogen headlights, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lads, look at T-roc. Those are now very plasticy inside too. So it looks like other VW brands trying to go up-market and VW started to cut corners.
    I guess they are putting all those screens and stuff instead and trying to keep price similar to old model as much as they can.

I was wandering around the VW showroom (while waiting for my car) and I was struck by how poor the interior quality of the offerings were there; particularly the fabric seats of the T-roc which looks absolutely awful. They were like something from the early 90s. There wasn't a single car there that I would want to buy. It's not like they're cheap either. It nearly undid all the good work of having a loan of a PHEV passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

If you think that the new Golf looks bad, you should go on some of the BMW forums and see people losing their sh$t over the new 4 series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Technique wrote: »
    If you think that the new Golf looks bad, you should go on some of the BMW forums and see people losing their sh$t over the new 4 series

How is that even possible? It hasn't been unveiled yet . No photos have been leaked apart from the concept car a few months ago which will look nothing like the actual production model.

Golf R spotted without camouflage https://www.motor1.com/news/401394/vw-golf-r-spied-no-camo/
    Front bumper looks like the one off the new s3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

That actually looks quite cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Golf R spotted without camouflage https://www.motor1.com/news/401394/vw-golf-r-spied-no-camo/
    Front bumper looks like the one off the new s3

Is the bonnet open in that pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Wailin wrote: »
    How is that even possible? It hasn't been unveiled yet . No photos have been leaked apart from the concept car a few months ago which will look nothing like the actual production model.

There have been plenty of leaked photos of the new M3 which will have the same grille as the new 4 Series. It's also been spotted out testing and can be seen to have the same grille as the leaked M3 pictures.

The grille on the 4 Series though has grown on me and looks miles better than the new 1 Series grille in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is the bonnet open in that pic?

It looks to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

I presume that black one in the link (with bonnet slightly open) is not the R Mk8, just some test mule or something.
    It would be pretty much indistinguishable between the the GT variants if that were the case (apart from Pretorias and quad exhaust tips) and the R has always had a different body kit to the GTs
    The white one below is probably closer to the mark.

I always love a Grey Golf.

We got in the new Mk8 in Doplhin grey and it’s absolutely god awful. Looks like the Urano Grey non metallic

Is that the chabby chic grey the 1st cousin of the moonstone grey, girls love it the Mrs bought a kettle that colour.
    What we've seen of the mk8 so far colour is going to be critical along with some lowering spring.

No that’s Moonstone.

This is a metallic Grey which is horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Do we have any idea when the GTI will be on the market in Ireland? I see the standard golf 8 official is open for orders today!!!

I see the cost of the Style 1.5 eTSI 150hp is €34,350. When you consider the standard spec now has LED, keyless, bigger infotainment and lane assist the price doesn't seem too bad. Cheaper than the outgoing MK7.5 with the same spec.

Then you have MHEV, quilt stitching, 3 zone climate, better ambient lighting etc. Not cheap, sure, but there's an extra spec just below the Style along with the 130hp 1.5 and 110hp 1.0.

It's starting to grow on me. I wonder will they bother trying to push DSG now that it's mild hybrid.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see the cost of the Style 1.5 eTSI 150hp is €34,350. ............

Seems expensive when a 150bhp A4 (that's a 2.0 engine) can be got for €40,520.00, spec would be not great admittedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

finally

although the R line spec is in addition to the life spec rather than an upgrade on style - unlike before when r line was above high line.

this allows customers the choice at the top of the range - a sport spec or a comfort spec.

at lesat now the R line spec in Irl is on a par with the rest of europe as we get the interior upgrade as well rather than in the previous model when it was just a partial body kit - although i think an r line with the side skirts and body kit is lost on 17 inch alloys

in addition sports suspension is an option on the R Line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Horrendous looking! Will be keeping my MK7.5 for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That PDF won't open for me.

tossy wrote: »

Opened for me but pdfs can be very strange, my easytrip bill won't open somedays on work laptop but opens on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Downloaded and opened for me fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Check your download folder....I found pdf files download when I click on links here on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I like it, but whoever's designing the alloys needs the P45.

Augeo wrote: »
    Seems expensive when a 150bhp A4 (that's a 2.0 engine) can be got for €40,520.00, spec would be not great admittedly.

Big difference between €34k and €40k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Random one - I just checked the VRT on a Golf R the same spec as my own (151/manual/ 60k miles) and it's gone up nearly €500 since December and as far as I know that doesn't include nox? Thought it would be coming down but they seem to have adjusted the omsp upwards. Good for used values here I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Yep, bout 6k by my reckoning

Might interest someone in the market for a Cupra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GiEXUjXx6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »

It's silver and 37k. Ex demos went for cheaper before. They really charge whatever they want for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Also has no KESSY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

bazz26 wrote: »

Mad money, u'd expect to pay less than that for a brand new one with discount. U'd also expect a decent discount at this stage with the model in it's 7th year and a replacement due later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yeah I priced it with my FR as a trade in and it was madness. Wouldn't fancy the colour too much anyway.

• Advertisement

There's a bigger than €6k difference between a Golf and an A4 IMO. Golf folk wouldn't agree of course for the mostpart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Augeo wrote: »
    There's a bigger than €6k difference between a Golf and an A4 IMO. Golf folk wouldn't agree of course for the mostpart.

I’ve had both, I’d prefer the Golf. The A4 is the modern day Cortina

kooga wrote: »
    finally

although the R line spec is in addition to the life spec rather than an upgrade on style - unlike before when r line was above high line.

this allows customers the choice at the top of the range - a sport spec or a comfort spec.

at lesat now the R line spec in Irl is on a par with the rest of europe as we get the interior upgrade as well rather than in the previous model when it was just a partial body kit - although i think an r line with the side skirts and body kit is lost on 17 inch alloys

in addition sports suspension is an option on the R Line

Funnily enough that’s what they did with the Mk7 when it first came out. In 2014/15 there was an “Edition-R” which was basically a Comfortline with fancy seats and bumpers.

2016 they became Highlines with R line kits and then in 2019 they became an R line on their own mainly to make the PCP more attractive.

According to Vw the “Life” model is equivalent to the old Highline and the Style is a new, higher spec.

This video shows off the new mark 8 GTI.
    I'm still not convinced by the looks or those wheels. It seems to have lost some of the aggression and the planted stance of the mark 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-3dJ9qQD4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The wheels are dreadful but that’s easily sorted. They’re awful on the 7.5 too. The 19” upgrade will be essential.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement