Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New advert is here, I find it a hard to watch to be honest, no dad to go check it out in the shed with anymore...was hoping for something a bit more upbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The wheels are dreadful but that’s easily sorted. They’re awful on the 7.5 too. The 19” upgrade will be essential.

Any temptation to return to the fold Joe?

Have to say it’s not doing anything for me.
    The Leon Cupra and the Cupra Formentor look better and have same tech.
    Maybe it will look better in the metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

New advert is here, I find it a hard to watch to be honest, no dad to go check it out in the shed with anymore...was hoping for something a bit more upbeat.

I didn’t notice it had an LED strip light across the centre grill until seeing that video. Tbh it looks better in the video than a lot of the pictures I’ve seen.

I don't know does it save it, the new s3 front bumper looks like the evolution of the 7.5 more than this...hard to know until we see it in the flesh..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

I really don't like the eyelashes they've given it with the headlights. The red stripe has been growing since the mk7 when they extended it into the headlights, now with the mk8 they've extended it beyond the headlights into the eyelashes. What's next for the mk9...wrap it around the entire car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I didn't think a red light on the front of a car was allowed.

When will the price list come out for the GTI ? It won’t be launched here till early 2021 is it ?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I didn't think a red light on the front of a car was allowed.

Is it not just a white led strip?
    Seems to be VW’s latest thing. I think they have similar on the electric id3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The standard MK8 is ok but the GTI isn't doing it for me. The Mk7.5 has a fairly aggressive front end and looks great, the Mk8 seems to have lost that.

As awful as the wheels are you'd want to get used to them, nobody is going to upgrade them just like the 7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is it not just a white led strip?
    Seems to be VW’s latest thing. I think they have similar on the electric id3.

So it is, thought it was the red stripe that was illuminated.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The standard MK8 is ok but the GTI isn't doing it for me. The Mk7.5 has a fairly aggressive front end and looks great, the Mk8 seems to have lost that.

As awful as the wheels are you'd want to get used to them, nobody is going to upgrade them just like the 7.5.

I would of said most mk7.5 have the upgraded 19 inch either Brescia or Santiago wheels. Mine has Brescia which would be my favourite out of the mk7.5 options.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I would of said most mk7.5 have the upgraded 19 inch either Brescia or Santiago wheels. Mine has Brescia which would be my favourite out of the mk7.5 options.

Probably because the mk7.5 standard wheels were so bad.
    The 18” that came on the mark 7 after VW Ireland improved the specs were fine and there was no need to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

First new Mk8 I've seen in the flesh with Mk7 beside for reference

IMG-20200307-102106-01.jpg IMG-20200307-102153-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Any temptation to return to the fold Joe?

Have to say it’s not doing anything for me.
    The Leon Cupra and the Cupra Formentor look better and have same tech.
    Maybe it will look better in the metal.

Oh I’ll definitely step back into the fold at some stage down the line but my finances not to mention every second of my time is tied up in finishing a house for the next 6 months. Maybe next year when the dust settles I’ll have a look around. Diesel saloon life is not for me in the longer term.

Check out this photo of one on the 19’s. Not the best looking wheel either mind you but they make a huge difference to the appearance of the car. Much better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=504903&d=1583593680

That looks a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The 19's completely make the car look a lot better!!

I agree. A lot better.
    I think a dark grey or silver may work better than the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think the Mk8 in general is a far better looking car in the flesh than in any of the pre launch images and press stuff. Wasn't keen on it but having seen a few in the wild, it is a good looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Check out this photo of one on the 19’s. Not the best looking wheel either mind you but they make a huge difference to the appearance of the car. Much better.

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=504903&d=1583593680

That’s class looking. The new metallic red is a great colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Good spot joe. Really fills the wheel arch much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

That looks much much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Spark Plug

Pricing for the 2.0 TDI 150 is steep at €36,395 vs. the likes of the 118d SE Sport which is €35,700 in manual and €38,000 with the auto.

Oh I’ll definitely step back into the fold at some stage down the line but my finances not to mention every second of my time is tied up in finishing a house for the next 6 months. Maybe next year when the dust settles I’ll have a look around. Diesel saloon life is not for me in the longer term.

House definitely takes priority over a car.
    I’m surprised you’ve lasted as long as you have in the 420d.

House definitely takes priority over a car.
    I’m surprised you’ve lasted as long as you have in the 420d.

It’s served me well, does the job great and finance/depreciation aside it’s cheap to run. But I’ve no interest in it... once the house is sorted and if I’ve a few pennies left over I might look at the options. I’ll have to decide one way or the other this time next year as the 3 year pcp will be up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Had a weird exchange with a garda today in Limerick, pulling out of Harvey Norman with the young fella and he cuts in front of me with the squad car, didn't get out of the car just started talking to me out the window. "Did anyone ever try to steal it " no thank god I replied, I live out in the sticks. "Because they came for my one, into the bedroom for the keys, don't take your keys to bed with you is my advice, if they want it let them have it and leave the keys downstairs".

Felt a bit shaken after it if I'm honest. Thank God herself wasn't with me or she'd have been freaked.
    I know he was probably only giving me a heads up, anyone had a similar experience?

Or do any of ye know a garda owner ( probably former owner now) of a Golf R?

He made a great point..... I went to school with a chap and I'd know a brother of his quite well who has stolen a car or two and his CV reads something like....larceny, burglary, dangerous driving, criminal damage and assault.... As well as various drug offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

hooch-85 wrote: »

Or do any of ye know a garda owner ( probably former owner now) of a Golf R?

It wasn't me anyway!

Killinator wrote: »
    It wasn't me anyway!

Cool, I know a couple of guards that are petrol heads. Is there many of ye? I'm just curious if this particular car was taken in Limerick or somewhere else in the country

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Cool, I know a couple of guards that are petrol heads. Is there many of ye? I'm just curious if this particular car was taken in Limerick or somewhere else in the country

My bro is both a guard and a petrol head and he'd be in that neck of the woods.

I know a few lads who have nice motors not necessarily fast but good spec and a few round my way have the odd VRS or GTD.
    Most driving diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Is it just the Golf R that mostly gets stolen or are GTIs and GTDs the same?

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Is it just the Golf R that mostly gets stolen or are GTIs and GTDs the same?

The professional gangs going round country want fast but subtle so the average punter won't notice it around the estates.
    So any of the above will do but especially the GTI and R.
    The GTI and GTD are much more common so the odds of grabbing one are higher.
    My own R was stolen with keys when in the hands of the previous owner but luckily it wasn't damaged any bit and recovered almost immediately.

Killinator wrote: »
    My own R was stolen with keys when in the hands of the previous owner but luckily it wasn't damaged any bit and recovered almost immediately.

Good to know I'm not the only one in a hot hatch:D

My 7.5 GTI was stolen off the last guy and his house was broken into again recently looking for the keys of the R he replaced it with. He's probably in a Leaf now if his Mrs has anything got to do with it. Think she was demanding the R go..

I wouldn’t have an R on a driveway again that isn’t very secure. My old house was a disaster in that regard, in an open plan estate, I was a sitting target so the car just had to go. I had no comfort with it. I’ll have a fine secure garage in the house I’m building... but probably very little funds left to buy a car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

My MK 5 GTI was stolen in 2009. Thankfully keys were downstairs on the table. Still can’t believe I didn’t hear them breaking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pretty sure there has been two Golf Rs stolen in Limerick.

Definitely a 172 Mk7.5 stolen last year. He used go to cars and coffee.

Haven’t seen it since.

Edit Had a couple with two modern Vws stolen. One of them had the We Connect so he just logged into the APP and went and got it back with the spare key. It was parked in an estate about half an hour away.

It was taken in 2018, same as Killinator they got the keys. If it's stolen again they'll need an R to catch it this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are many non-R VAG cars stolen? I thought it was just the R that they wanted.

New house I'm buying is in a fairly open estate. The council twats decided only 60% of the houses were allowed have a driveway so for the other 40% myself included there's parking spaces. No garden so no gates or secure bollards. I'm near an entrance but you probably wouldn't get a look driving by on the main road.

I'm not too concerned about theft but it does happen around Lucan/Adamstown. It doesn't help I work near Mulhuddart. Obviously thieves know what they're after but in my mind at least a Cupra is fairly low key.

To be honest a car is a car to a lot of the scummers. Can be a Corsa or a Merc, they're all fair game.
    The sportier looking the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think the Mk8 in general is a far better looking car in the flesh than in any of the pre launch images and press stuff. Wasn't keen on it but having seen a few in the wild, it is a good looking car.

Actually I have to agree.

We all sow new Leon fr too and it looks good ( for me ), but when I was in Seat two weeks ago, the fella had pictures they took themselves of actual Leon FR in Dublin, that was shown to dealers in private. It looked waaaaay better.

It's funny how Bullshots look worse, then actual product these days.

• Advertisement

Damn lads, you kind of scaring me now with all these hot hatches boosted in Limerick. Can't believe that many!
    One of the reasons I don't want R/Gti because of its profile, every scumbag knows it's a fast car.
    Cupra looks a lot less "sporty", if I finally be able to get one, I will debadged same day and it will look like FR. Damn, I might even but FR badge on its arse.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Are many non-R VAG cars stolen? I thought it was just the R that they wanted.

New house I'm buying is in a fairly open estate. The council twats decided only 60% of the houses were allowed have a driveway so for the other 40% myself included there's parking spaces. No garden so no gates or secure bollards. I'm near an entrance but you probably wouldn't get a look driving by on the main road.

I'm not too concerned about theft but it does happen around Lucan/Adamstown. It doesn't help I work near Mulhuddart. Obviously thieves know what they're after but in my mind at least a Cupra is fairly low key.

I’m afraid VAG’s and Golfs in particular of all varieties are top of the wish list among a certain community in this country. I know first hand of lads with standard Golfs who’ve had bumpers, lights, wheels, etc taken off their cars on the driveway.

A Cupra is not low key. Not to someone who knows what it is. But it will be less desirable to them than the equivalent VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, anything with a VW badge down here is bright and shiny to the local magpies. If they don't try and take it they try to steal bits off it.

I remember having a Passat CC at one time and some maggots tried to take the front fog light and bracket overnight parked on my driveway. Geniuses probably never realized the parts wouldn't fit their standard ****box Passat. The main reason why I wouldn't have a GTi on driveway, I'd just have sleepless nights. You really need cars like these locked away in a garage out of sight and mind rather than parked on an open driveway or on the road.

Is this all Limerick? I've had good getaway cars when I used to live in Dublin and never got one boosted thankfully. I better find a safe spot for it when I'm down there next weekend for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not a Limerick thing, it's a VW thing with certain demographics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Damn lads, you kind of scaring me now with all these hot hatches boosted in Limerick. Can't believe that many!
    One of the reasons I don't want R/Gti because of its profile, every scumbag knows it's a fast car.
    Cupra looks a lot less "sporty", if I finally be able to get one, I will debadged same day and it will look like FR. Damn, I might even but FR badge on its arse.

My first Golf R was red and I completely debadged it, most people I met asked me was it a diesel.
    Obviously the four exhausts were a giveaway for anyone with an interest in cars but the rare enough colour for a R and the lack of badges helped a bit

I'm not living in Limerick, I'm.about a half hour outside the city in a very rural area, my car is parked behind my house out of sight and I've two lockable gates at either entrance. I think I'm safe enough where I am.

A lad near my parents house has a new GTi.... It's replaced a 3 year old one. He had one a few cars ago also. Parked in drive, main road, no gate iirc.
    Near Cork City, not well to do area. Never had any issue. Plenty scum about the area involved in all sorts of stuff.
    Just to add some balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, anything with a VW badge down here is bright and shiny to the local magpies. If they don't try and take it they try to steal bits off it.

I remember having a Passat CC at one time and some maggots tried to take the front fog light and bracket overnight parked on my driveway. Geniuses probably never realized the parts wouldn't fit their standard ****box Passat. The main reason why I wouldn't have a GTi on driveway, I'd just have sleepless nights. You really need cars like these locked away in a garage out of sight and mind rather than parked on an open driveway or on the road.

There are two Passat Business editions driving around Limerick (One is a 4 motion) where they robbed the chrome off the top of the LED headlights and grill (Theres a nicer bit of chrome runs across the LED). Same knacks don’t realise that it’s a completely different headlight and grill and it won’t fit their Trendline with 18” stolen Dartford alloys lol

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    There are two Passat Business editions driving around Limerick (One is a 4 motion) where they robbed the chrome off the top of the LED headlights and grill (Theres a nicer bit of chrome runs across the LED). Same knacks don’t realise that it’s a completely different headlight and grill and it won’t fit their Trendline with 18” stolen Dartford alloys lol

That kind of reminds me days back in my origin country. Mazda xedos 6 was a popular enough car and people liked it. Problem is every single one had no front indicators or had retrofitted and miss matched indicators from other cars. Appearantly scummers learned that these indicators are very easy to steal and cost a lot of money, but people got sick of buying them and did not bother anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement