Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Augeo wrote: »
    A lad near my parents house has a new GTi.... It's replaced a 3 year old one. He had one a few cars ago also. Parked in drive, main road, no gate iirc.
    Near Cork City, not well to do area. Never had any issue. Plenty scum about the area involved in all sorts of stuff.
    Just to add some balance.

Non of my BMWs have every been touched over the years, just the one VW I owned. I live in a rural village but they still managed to attempt to help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Non of my BMWs have every been touched over the years, just the one VW I owned. I live in a rural village but they still managed to attempt to help themselves.

Im in a rural Village too. Had a new Passat keyed outside my door :(

Yep, scum are the same the world over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I think if you want to own a GTI, R, Cupra or whatever buy one I wouldn’t let the what if it gets stolen put you off as if you took that outlook on everything your life would be fairly boring. You’ll always here about the ones that were stolen not the ones that weren’t. Buy it, enjoy it and if it gets stolen deal with it at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Hmmm,

I agree if you're worried about a car getting stolen it's not worth owning, even if it's a real or just a perceived risk you have for no reason. Everytime there's a noise outside or a strange car in the street you'll be worrying and it's not worth the worry. Or ye could buy a dog :)

IMG-20200308-170236.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I never had a car that attracted as much attention wanted and unwanted as my GTI PP and I’ve had more expensive supposedly more prestigious cars before.
    Enthusiasts know what they are and admire them and engage in conversation but other members of society like them too and seem to want to steal them or bits off them.
    I think it’s more of a reflection on society than a reflection on the performance golf.
    Maybe the manky wheels on the new mark 8 model will be a blessing in disguise as nobody will want to steal them.

I really think that's a Limerick thing to be honest.
    The lad I know is on his 3rd GTi ........ he lives a few hundred yards from a heroin supermarket, gangland family feud 500 yards the other way ..... folk pr1cking about taking bits off cars etc isn't the done thing in the area.

The lad I know is on his 3rd GTi ........ he lives a few hundred yards from a heroin supermarket, gangland family feud 500 yards the other way ..... folk pr1cking about taking bits off cars etc isn't the done thing in the area.

The area he is in is probably a very good reason why is car won't be touched. The local gang are unlikely to steal in their local area and outside criminals will be afraid to encroach especially if the local gang are particularly powerful.

Its like what my Italian friends say about Naples, if you aren't in a position to leave your car unlocked with the key in the ignition then no matter what you do just accept your car will be stolen.

Overall I give no though to this fear of having a car stolen, maybe its because of living rurally but it would never enter my head to worry about it, nor would making life easy for scum criminals either mind. If/when I get an R it will be locked in a garage, then heavy duty electric gates to get out of the drive, keys won't be left out for anyone and it will have a tracker and possibly a kill switch.

The area he is in is probably a very good reason why is car won't be touched. The local gang are unlikely to steal in their local area and outside criminals will be afraid to encroach especially if the local gang are particularly powerful...............

Nah, it's nothing like that. No one would be bothered (except him obviously) if his Golf was stolen or the wheels off his Golf were stolen. The local gangs aren't exactly the Kinehans etc.
    Robbing bits off VWs just doesn't happen in much of the country to the alleged extent it happens in other parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Ironically enough it was in the courthouse car park (not limerick but Nenagh)where my car was being checked over by some characters. I only found out when I got a phone call from a Garda who spotted them and contacted me through my reg details to be careful as he said they will follow you home to find out where you live and what security you have there.
    It’s not worth worrying about in the normal way but put me off big time as wasn’t the first time The car had received attention.

• Advertisement

Being followed home is one thing to watch for, thankfully it would be next to impossible for someone to follow me home unnoticed as the roads are quite once you get within 3 or 4km of the house and I do tend to have a “spirited” drive for that stretch so anyone trying to keep with me would be highly suspect.

That’s the beauty of a garage too (when I’ve it built) as even if they have a general area of they scope around they won’t see the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Or ye could buy a dog :)

Nice dog! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Or ye could buy a dog :)

We have one, she's vicious:D

67ef75bc8d20b2cad6d236586c4be938.jpg

1ef571ad83390127663452fe21202254.jpg

e906933292e281126bfb2f082473afcf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

hooch-85 wrote: »
    We have one, she's vicious:D

1ef571ad83390127663452fe21202254.jpg

a real man-eater you have there, obviously. :)

Haha, she's a good house dog though, there wouldn't anyone get into the yard without you knowing and for the size of her she is well able to bark.

Believe what you want to believe. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

CIP4 wrote: »
    When will the price list come out for the GTI ? It won’t be launched here till early 2021 is it ?

VW said back in October on the first unveiling of the golf 8 that the "performance versions" will come out shortly after the standard golfs. So I'd imagine sometime in the second half of this year maybe July or August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I see someone had their GTi stolen this evening. Rural private house, with a German shepherd. Back door kicked in and keys nicked. :(

Believe what you want to believe. I'll leave it at that.

You live in Limerick & your VW was fooked about with. No need to be getting p1ssy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You live in Limerick & your VW was fooked about with. No need to be getting p1ssy about it.

I live in Limerick and mine hasn’t. Don’t tar us all with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's not a Limerick thing. I'm in Galway. In a rural village which would be perceived as the very definition of sleepy. Unfortunately my car was noticed/spotted, I probably was followed home at least once, so they knew where the car was. Gardai just shrugged their shoulders in the nicest possible way and advised me to move the car on.

Unfortunately these scumbags are everywhere. Only in the last 20 minutes I saw some poor sod from Cavan on Facebook pleading for anyone who's seen his 181 GTI which went missing lastnight...

.... Yes, it's not just in Limerick but I believe it's worse in Limerick.... There's Limerick folk mentioning they won't have a GTi due to 'local magpies' FFS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Mk8 Life spec includes alarm and safelock as standard, problem solved!

.... Yes, it's not just in Limerick but I believe it's worse in Limerick.... There's Limerick folk mentioning they won't have a GTi due to 'local magpies' FFS :)

Worse than where though? Cars are stolen all over the country every day, I don't think Limerick is any worse than any of the other urban areas.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    ........ I don't think Limerick is any worse than any of the other urban areas.

Well there's someone in a rural village in Limerick who reckons his VW was some sort of target for local magpies. He won't get a GTi because of this. I mentioned that my view on that was that it was a Limerick thing and not a VW thing.

Someone else mentioned there's two Passats driving aroiund Limerick with bits missing off them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112761543&postcount=9361

Another reference to Limerick here .......

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112759205&postcount=9353

More Limerick
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112757786&postcount=9348

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Well there's someone in a rural village in Limerick who reckons his VW was some sort of target for local magpies. He won't get a GTi because of this. I mentioned that my view on that was that it was a Limerick thing and not a VW thing.

Someone else mentioned there's two Passats driving aroiund Limerick with bits missing off them.

More Limerick

After having moved to Limerick a few years back, you just feel extremely uncomfortable having any car with the regular break ins happening here, it has stopped me upgrading to a new R or such, I've known guys who have been followed home here too. So I'm stuck in the predicament, get out of Limerick so I can get a nice car or just stay undercover.

stamjoe wrote: »
    After having moved to Limerick a few years back, you just feel extremely uncomfortable having any car with the regular break ins happening here, it has stopped me upgrading to a new R or such, I've known guys who have been followed home here too. So I'm stuck in the predicament, get out of Limerick so I can get a nice car or just stay undercover.

Yes, as I mentioned, I believe it's a Limerick thing rather than a VW thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'd say it's not that there's more skangers in Limerick, but that the volume of nice cars is fairly low so your odds are higher of having it taken vs say South County Dublin or the city centre, fast Golfs are a dime a dozen & there's way faster cars to be nabbed if that's what you were after, Audi RS's, M3/M4's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not put this as Just Limerick problem, it's a bigger Irish city problem.

Since I moved here, scummers got inside my car twice. No break in signs, so I am 99% sure both times I forgot to lock it, so It's on me and me being and idiot. First time it was Alfa GT and they made the **** out of dash, while pulling out head unit. Destroyed wiring and all. Second time they got in to my baby Cupra, but there was nothing to take and head units useless for them and even bigger pain in a hole to take out, so it was just few cloths pulled out of glove box and left on the seat and that's it.
    After second time I forced myself to double check if I locked car and two years my car wasn't touched. ( Touch wood ).

Limerick is not rougher or worse then any other big city in Ireland. Scummers everywhere. What I do find it funny, that I work in cork and know a good few people who always say how rough Limerick is, usually with stories like: " my friend went to Limerick for night out and got **** kicked out of him for no reason, it's very rough!". So I live here for 5 years now, go out regularly etc. No one offered to kick my face in yet. And in general, people are really damn nice. Ofc there are scummers here and there, but as I said, they are everywhere.

• Advertisement

More Limerick

Where do you live so we can dig up all the mentions of cars being damaged or broken into in your area?

Where do you live so we can dig up all the mentions of cars being damaged or broken into in your area?

I've just searched this topic and there's no mention of stolen/damged VW stuff in the area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

I would not put this as Just Limerick problem, it's a bigger Irish city problem.

Since I moved here, scummers got inside my car twice. No break in signs, so I am 99% sure both times I forgot to lock it, so It's on me and me being and idiot. First time it was Alfa GT and they made the **** out of dash, while pulling out head unit. Destroyed wiring and all. Second time they got in to my baby Cupra, but there was nothing to take and head units useless for them and even bigger pain in a hole to take out, so it was just few cloths pulled out of glove box and left on the seat and that's it.
    After second time I forced myself to double check if I locked car and two years my car wasn't touched. ( Touch wood ).

Limerick is not rougher or worse then any other big city in Ireland. Scummers everywhere. What I do find it funny, that I work in cork and know a good few people who always say how rough Limerick is, usually with stories like: " my friend went to Limerick for night out and got **** kicked out of him for no reason, it's very rough!". So I live here for 5 years now, go out regularly etc. No one offered to kick my face in yet. And in general, people are really damn nice. Ofc there are scummers here and there, but as I said, they are everywhere.

I don’t think it’s to do with a large amount of knackers, more just it’s a day and night crime syndicate involved here and the guards take a few hours to respond.

I’ve heard a few explanations in the past around it, makes sense when you hear about internal Garda corruption here. I hate limerick bashing, I think you’re fine on a night out but have a flashy car and money I genuinely feel very uneasy, let’s not forget the multiple ransom kidnappings on Dolores McNamaras son ha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys this is probably a good place to ask but I have a leak in my MK7 Golf. The car was parked up for the last two weeks and when I went to clean it out the other day the boot was full of water.

I've removed all the boot carpets and the back seat base (was soaked underneath) and can see water coming in under the boot side wall trim from the little storage area behind the rear light on the driver side. (Pic 1)

I'm trying to remove the boot latch trim (Pic 2) so I can peel back the trim further to see where the water is coming from. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to come off. Does anyone have a clue how to get this off?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/irWAdg14Nup6dHMHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't there a vent in the boot on the right hand side, did you check there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To take off that trim you've to remove the outer rubber seal around the edge, then take off the two side trims (the plastic bits that the parcel shelf hinges on) then the trim should just pull up and off with a bit of force.

Body vents behind the rear bumper are a popular cause of this is the rear footwells are dry. If the rear footwells are wet, I'd be thinking the rear door speakers, they are popular too. Or it could be some combination of the two, they're both popular issues.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a vent in the boot on the right hand side, did you check there.

It's behind the carpet isn't it? That's why I'm trying to remove the boot trim so I can access the vent.

To take off that trim you've to remove the outer rubber seal around the edge, then take off the two side trims (the plastic bits that the parcel shelf hinges on) then the trim should just pull up and off with a bit of force.

Body vents behind the rear bumper are a popular cause of this is the rear footwells are dry. If the rear footwells are wet, I'd be thinking the rear door speakers, they are popular too. Or it could be some combination of the two, they're both popular issues.

Ok thanks for that. I'll have a look again tomorrow evening when it's bright.

The rear footwells are dry but the rubber seal is starting to show a bit of water on them. I'm going to pull the door cards off on the weekend and see if the speaker seal is leaking. I'll try sort that at the same time if it is.

Changed the drain hose on the VW latch last week because the grommet had broken off.

I'm thinking it has to be the rear vent because I can see the water seeping out under the carpet where it hits metal in picture 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

Wow, the last few pages of this thread are depressing. Just bought a 201 R-Line, which looks sporty enough. Also looking to buy a house. I guess I'll need to take that into consideration. Shame that you just can't have nice things that you've worked hard for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Congrats on the new car! Post a few pics. Have a 192 R-Line and very pleased with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

That’s the beauty of a garage too (when I’ve it built).

I think I remember you saying your daily drive is an old car(as in greater than 10yrs old)

If so garages are not recommended for your type as domestic garages are too small to allow air circulate, so you parking your car each evening when wet or even damp is not good over a prolonged period of time. An alternative is to ventilate your garage (heaters / dehumidifier) but doubt it would be worth it in your case as running costs high.

I’ve seen this advice before being directed towards those who have older cars and hold onto them for long periods of time, for those holding onto a newish car for a few years it’s not really a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Wow, the last few pages of this thread are depressing. Just bought a 201 R-Line, which looks sporty enough. Also looking to buy a house. I guess I'll need to take that into consideration. Shame that you just can't have nice things that you've worked hard for.

The guys who are robbing R's & GTI's know what they're looking for, I wouldn't be worried unless it's high powered...and unless you live somewhere it's common.

I thought the consensus was R lines should be banned. Hopefully the new one looks nothing like an R line.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that. I'll have a look again tomorrow evening when it's bright.

The rear footwells are dry but the rubber seal is starting to show a bit of water on them. I'm going to pull the door cards off on the weekend and see if the speaker seal is leaking. I'll try sort that at the same time if it is.

Changed the drain hose on the VW latch last week because the grommet had broken off.

I'm thinking it has to be the rear vent because I can see the water seeping out under the carpet where it hits metal in picture 1.

I had that issue with my 132 TDI. Like you, I thought it was the drain hose that comes down from the badge to the sill of the boot but I replaced that and it continued. It ended up being the rear vents as mentioned, and it was an easy enough fix for a mechanic to do, but they have to take the bumper off I believe.

Also make sure the rear bench gets dried out. The water sloshes up to there from the wheel well and the foam under the seat soaks up water and holds it. I brought mine inside (it's simple to remove) and sat it near a radiator for a few days to dry it out.

A good troubleshooting tool was taking the carpet out and using chalk to mark out sections, where the chalk gets washed away is what side the water is coming in from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought the consensus was R lines should be banned. Hopefully the new one looks nothing like an R line.

unfortunately, it will.

On a similar vein as the past few pages... Anyone able to recommend a tracker? Self install if possible

On a similar vein as the past few pages... Anyone able to recommend a tracker? Self install if possible

Didn't someone say you can track it through the vw net thing in the car. Checked mine and I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I use Meta Trak. http://metatrak.ie/

I think its about 300 to install (had to be done by them - they will call to your house) and 70 euro a year. Its fantastic peace of mind to be honest. It can be installed and reinstalled in a new car if you change. Meta Trak app available on iOS and Android. You can catch "other drivers" who borrow your car going really quick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Have 2 Golfs 141 and 151 Both had water in the boot, its sloshed through under the back seats and soaked everywhere. After changing the tube with the grommet and rear light seals and no difference, I finally found the vents in the bumper were loose. The seals perish over time and the vents move freely allowing water to get in. Both cars had the same issue. You can reach up under the rear bumper and check them. if they move, that is your problem. Its a push out the old ones and push back in new ones solution. I got my mechanic to do it as its easier to do when the car is on a lift. However you might be able to do it by getting under it yourself. I think the Vents were about €40 each as far as I can remember.

Didn't someone say you can track it through the vw net thing in the car. Checked mine and I can see it.

I don't believe Cupras have such a thing unfortunately, could be wrong of course...

theintern wrote: »
    I had that issue with my 132 TDI. Like you, I thought it was the drain hose that comes down from the badge to the sill of the boot but I replaced that and it continued. It ended up being the rear vents as mentioned, and it was an easy enough fix for a mechanic to do, but they have to take the bumper off I believe.

Also make sure the rear bench gets dried out. The water sloshes up to there from the wheel well and the foam under the seat soaks up water and holds it. I brought mine inside (it's simple to remove) and sat it near a radiator for a few days to dry it out.

A good troubleshooting tool was taking the carpet out and using chalk to mark out sections, where the chalk gets washed away is what side the water is coming in from.

I have the bench out since last Saturday and it's fully dried now but badly stained so I need to clean it.

How much did the mechanic charge you? I might send it to mine once I know the water is coming from the vent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement