Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So it seems one of the weights has disappeared from my front driver side alloy. Might explain why the car felt a bit off recently but I wasn't sure if it was in my head or not...

What's the best way to get a new one and make sure it's secured in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

DaveyDave wrote: »
    So it seems one of the weights has disappeared from my front driver side alloy. Might explain why the car felt a bit off recently but I wasn't sure if it was in my head or not...

What's the best way to get a new one and make sure it's secured in place?

Balance weight? Go to a tyre shop and get the wheel re-balanced with a new weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

499-D1-E89-80-F3-49-C7-A921-6-DEB3192129-C.jpg

Plenty of time to clean the Up lately. Fitted 4x Pirelli P Zero Nero GT a few weeks ago, very impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I was on the VW website last night and was surprised the new golf is on at 0% pcp finance already.
    I did not think they would launch a new model at this.
    Also, I guess the new performance models will not really be around until 2021 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I was on the VW website last night and was surprised the new going golf is on at 0% pcp finance already.
    Also, I guess the new performance models will not really be around until 2021 now.

I think that's more of a response to the market being dead! nobody is going to commit to putting new metal on their driveway in these uncertain times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I was on the VW website last night and was surprised the new golf is on at 0% pcp finance already.

I can't imagine there will be a queue to buy them now or anytime in the coming months. Has turned out to be terrible timing for the Mk8 to launch.

What will likely happen is if the Irish economy takes a hit and a lot of people end up being unemployed then you'll have a lot of people who are in a position to buy new cars just won't as when so many are struggling you won't want to be driving around in a brand new car. Sales will be slow on the standard model Mk8 never mind the GTI/R models. I wonder is there many Mk8s actually even in stock yet as I suppose all the factories are closed now and they were only starting to come to dealers here.

Terrible timing and I’ve read that their next big thing, the id3 has some major software issues that haven’t been resolved and they can’t produce a running car as a result. They can build them but they can’t drive...

Another thing I noticed on the VW site was that all the promotional pics for the gti show it with the bigger option wheels. It’s as if they realize the standard ones are rubbish.

A new GTi now would probably hold its value unusually well in two to three years when people like me look for the new shape with the first couple years depreciation off them and there will be hardly any available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

vintagevrs wrote: »
    A new GTi now would probably hold its value unusually well in two to three years when people like me look for the new shape with the first couple years depreciation off them and there will be hardly any available.

Yea but a 911 with the cheap tax will be about the same price. There's nothing about the mk8 that makes you think I need to buy one of those. A tidy mk7 with a tune would be more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Golf R owners and potential owners worth watching this from Volkswizard

https://youtu.be/XJ212FeHKXY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think its impressive how he managed to bash the brand and the dealers in pretty much every point.

Aside from the coolant issue it was very generic. Check specs, check service history, do a history check, might have stone chips, might have a buckled alloys.

Sniff the drivers seat base and if it smells like **** then the previous owner may have been farting on it. If it still smells after leaving the door open its due to VW's cost cutting and bad seat design and the brand wont cover smelly seats under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I didn’t see him “bashing the brand” at all I must have watched a different video...

That guy is a complete VW nut, a “fanboy”. Bashing VW isn’t something he does. His comments were all fair and accurate imo. The paint work is weak on them (it is on most modern cars tbf). The chocolate clutch issue is well known. The Pretoria wheels are lovely but do buckle easily. And the coolant issue is common. I had that one myself.

I see what you did there with the fanboy thing, it's about as edgy as that video :)

Yeah his points are fair and accurate but mostly generic. You could have put any VAG product from the last decade behind him in the video and most of the points would have applied.

What was specific to the R? The coolant leaks and 17 onwards models got nav and heated seats as standard. In depth stuff.

Not a bad pre purchasing video for any car, but really not much info specifically geared towards the R, unfortunately, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I see what you did there with the fanboy thing, it's about as edgy as that video :)

Yeah his points are fair and accurate but mostly generic. You could have put any VAG product from the last decade behind him in the video and most of the points would have applied.

What was specific to the R? The coolant leaks and 17 onwards models got nav and heated seats as standard. In depth stuff.

Not a bad pre purchasing video for any car, but really not much info specifically geared towards the R, unfortunately, IMO.

There was no attempt on my part at being “edgy”. That guy is a well known and respected VW nut, fanboy, whatever edgy term you fancy yourself.

The Pretoria wheels and the clutch were R specific yes. As were the comments on the stolen/recovered concerns.

I think you’re looking for holes where there are none tbh. There’s a lot of rubbish on YouTube but I thought that was worth the 5 or 6 minute watch for anyone new to the brand in particular who is interested in buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Looks like it's turning into a garage queen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Volkswizard is an enthusiast, i has an 8L S3 years ago that he sourced was a fine car but he has had a serious anti VW vibe to his videos of late - i think he must have been burnt in some shape or form. The R buying guide doesn't seem especially anti VW though compared to some of his others of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

I think it's a pretty good video. I got all that info from Joe before buying my GTI anyway, but it's a good video. The App Connect thing isn't obvious, it's hard to even explain to people what they need to look for in pictures for that. And the coolant issue is very common, as everyone on this thread will be aware. Seems to happen more often than not. I had mine done a couple of months ago.

If anything it came across that he's disappointed in the brand that he likes so much having those issues.

theintern wrote: »
    I think it's a pretty good video. I got all that info from Joe before buying my GTI anyway, but it's a good video. The App Connect thing isn't obvious, it's hard to even explain to people what they need to look for in pictures for that. And the coolant issue is very common, as everyone on this thread will be aware. Seems to happen more often than not. I had mine done a couple of months ago.

If anything it came across that he's disappointed in the brand that he likes so much having those issues.

He didn't mention anything about the silica gel bags in the expansion tank, or Haldex servicing though did he ? I did skip a little. :D

• Advertisement

He did mention Haldex but not the silica issue, didnt mention the infamous rainwater ingress issues either, not that they are R exclusive but still definitely something to watch for buying used. But he did make you aware to check for stone chips.

Did he mention the fact there is no longer a filter and main dealers aren't removing pumps to clean the guaze that's getting blocked with gunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

The wife's golf needs new tyres lads, it currently has the original bridgestone turanzas on them. It's the 1.2 tsi. I was thinking of the uniroyal rain expert 3, very well priced on oponeo and I believe they have good grip in the damp? Any other recommendations for a decent tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What size are they?

225/45 R17 bazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tyreleader have the Uniroyal Rainsport 5 here too:
    https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres/uniroyal/rainsport-5/225-45-r17-94y-992071

Cheers bazz, some good options there.

Wailin wrote: »
    Cheers bazz, some good options there.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5 and find them very good. However if there is a big price difference and the car only gets normal driving something midrange like a Hankook or Uniroyal would be perfectly good.

I certainly wouldn't be putting performance tyres on a 1.2 tsi anyway! It only gets short runs, shops, school etc. 5 years old and 34,000 km on the clock says it all. I think a decent mid range tyre would be perfect on it. Thanks lads.

I seriously hope that Version GTI was cheap back in 2014 when new. I know the extras are a small thing but the lack of xenon/LED headlights and the alloys just absolutely ruin the car. Makes it looks like someone stuck GTI badges on a 1.6TDI golf.

https://www.connollys.ie/seat/used-cars/11011852-volkswagen-golf-gti-2.0-tsi-d6-f-220-hp-5-dr-122-per-week/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A neighbour of mine has one of those in silver, 10 time’s worse looking.

That’s a pretty good value car. DSG, GTI, Mk7, low kms.

Wailin wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't be putting performance tyres on a 1.2 tsi anyway! It only gets short runs, shops, school etc. 5 years old and 34,000 km on the clock says it all. I think a decent mid range tyre would be perfect on it. Thanks lads.

110hp still spins Pilot Sport 4 easy enough ;)

Are they the Turanza T001? The T005 is the replacement model and is apparently better in every way. I found the T001 pretty good tyres but didn't last very long so T005 may have similar longevity.

Heard very good things about the Rainsport alright.

The Pirello P Zero may be worth a look I believe they're similar prices to the Eagle F1 although I think they're just outside midrange.

Oh wow :D
    509381.png

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Tyreleader are generally cheaper than Oponeo and others so check there too. One thing that you should look out for is rim protection on tyres. Look for MFS or FR on tyre specs. If it doesn’t list it they don’t have it. It gives the alloys some extra protection that might be a necessity but you will know if it’s required.

Are they the Turanza T001? The T005 is the replacement model and is apparently better in every way. I found the T001 pretty good tyres but didn't last very long so T005 may have similar longevity.

Heard very good things about the Rainsport alright.

The Pirello P Zero may be worth a look I believe they're similar prices to the Eagle F1 although I think they're just outside midrange.

Turanza ER300 is what's on them since new. It's a 151 and there's still about 2.5mm on them but they are showing signs of defects on the outer rim due to age.

All it needs is a decent mid range tyre, there really isn't much point it putting on a premium tyre for the driving it does tbh.

Some details and pics of new R. Very subtle looking. I'm thinking the Mark 8 shape lacks even the hint of performance and aggression a performance golf needs.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/103321/new-328bhp-2020-volkswagen-golf-r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Some details and pics of new R. Very subtle looking. I'm thinking the Mark 8 shape lacks even the hint of performance and aggression a performance golf needs.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/103321/new-328bhp-2020-volkswagen-golf-r

VW have since the early 90's seem to balance a fine line of performance & aggression with refinement & sophistication with their hot hatches in comparison to Ford and Renault. They never went with garish colours, overly obvious splitters or foils. A sleeper to the uneducated, but a beast to those in the know.
    The GTI mk 4 was just to little & to week, a slightly better regular golf in a lot or peoples opinions.

The wheel keeps turning and I can see EXACTLY where you're coming from!! It's looking a bit sheepish in those shots. Maybe they're designing the car for the marketable age bracket. (older, nostalgic men like me) but ones that don't want to be seen in what some would consider a "boy racer" car but can afford the premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

John_Rambo wrote: »
    VW have since the early 90's seem to balance a fine line of performance & aggression with refinement & sophistication with their hot hatches in comparison to Ford and Renault. They never went with garish colours, overly obvious splitters or foils. A sleeper to the uneducated, but a beast to those in the know.
    The GTI mk 4 was just to little & to week, a slightly better regular golf in a lot or peoples opinions.

The wheel keeps turning and I can see EXACTLY where you're coming from!! It's looking a bit sheepish in those shots. Maybe they're designing the car for the marketable age bracket. (older, nostalgic men like me) but ones that don't want to be seen in what some would consider a "boy racer" car but can afford the premium price.

The Mark 8 GTi looks tacky and worse than base models. The R is better but a long way short of expectations. I’ve been hanging on to my 151 R hoping to order an 8 as soon as available but I don’t think I’ll go there. The R should look different but not like a Civic. I think Ford have got it right with the RS and the next RS will be even better as the base models are stylish. I’ve owned GTi/R for almost 28 years with an ST and RS for 5.
    Might have to look at the M2 and forget about being sensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The Mark 8 GTi looks tacky and worse than base models. The R is better but a long way short of expectations. I’ve been hanging on to my 151 R hoping to order an 8 as soon as available but I don’t think I’ll go there. The R should look different but not like a Civic. I think Ford have got it right with the RS and the next RS will be even better as the base models are stylish. I’ve owned GTi/R for almost 28 years with an ST and RS for 5.
    Might have to look at the M2 and forget about being sensible

Yes to the M2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

509678.JPG

I think it looks alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I think it looks quite well with a set of Pretorias on it.

Looks well, and it usually goes this way. Initial impressions are terrible the it grows and warms to you.

Looks like seats might be a bit more special too but hard to tell, and that may be just for the testing too. Was something they missed with the Mk7 I think.

_sb11568.jpg

Certainly the R looks ok in those pics. the pretoria is a lovely alloy wheel on the golf as long as it's not black. hate black alloys.
    I think it might be that horrible alloy on the gti that detracts so much from the appearance.

Now we know what they look like any guesstimates on pricing in Ireland.
    I reckon the gti will be about 42k base with manual gearbox and the R 52k base price.

From the brochure the seats that are standard in the “R line” model actually look really really good, can’t wait to see them. They’re a homage to wingbacks I’d say.

For anyone thinking of a MK8 just becareful, it used to be Comfortline- Highline - R Line

Now it’s Comfort - R Line
    Comfort - Style (Highline)

So when you buy an R line now you don’t get a top of the range car with R line bumpers, you get a mid spec with the R line kit.

Pity really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The combination of the Pretoria wheels and larger rear wing/spoiler make the R look far more aggressive (and nicer) than the R shown in the photos in the snow.

L-M wrote: »
    From the brochure the seats that are standard in the “R line” model actually look really really good, can’t wait to see them. They’re a homage to wingbacks I’d say.

For anyone thinking of a MK8 just becareful, it used to be Comfortline- Highline - R Line

Now it’s Comfort - R Line
    Comfort - Style (Highline)

So when you buy an R line now you don’t get a top of the range car with R line bumpers, you get a mid spec with the R line kit.

Pity really

The Comfort is the equivalent of Highline as far as I know. Style is really kitted out, more spec on it than the Highline. Lane assist, wireless charging, alarm, keyless, reversing camera etc. It's cheaper than what a Mk7.5 would have been like for like. Then you have quilted stitching, better ambient lighting, tri zone climate etc.

Not really. The current Highline has leather (A run out feature to be fair) Heated seats, electric folding mirrors, tinted rear windows, sport suspension,

Keyless and reverse camera has been on the Highline since 2016 bar the initial run of Mk7.5s

The Style to be fair is a Higher spec than the Highline (bar the bits above) but to get the stuff on a R line is very expensive. There’s no Keyless etc etc on the R line. All options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

L-M wrote: »
    Not really. The current Highline has leather (A run out feature to be fair) Heated seats, electric folding mirrors, tinted rear windows, sport suspension,

Keyless and reverse camera has been on the Highline since 2016 bar the initial run of Mk7.5s

The Style to be fair is a Higher spec than the Highline (bar the bits above) but to get the stuff on a R line is very expensive. There’s no Keyless etc etc on the R line. All options

R line does actually have keyless start, all mk8 golf models have push button start as standard. The style gets a upgraded version so you can unlock it with you're phone.

Really the r-line spec seems a better option with looks inside and out, the seats are now really racey looking with the locked headrests. Full black interior roof and etc. The annoying thing is the r-line is only getting standard halogen headlights "with led drls" so it's a extra €1077 to get the led plus headlights, and to add matrix IQ lights its another €1000 on top of that. 17" boring looking alloys as standard but to upgrade to 18" bergamo is €536. R-line only is getting the option for the Lapiz blue Metallic (mk7 golf r colour)

Lowered sports suspension is on it standard the same as what the GTI will get. I've noticed too from looking up tons of videos on YouTube that the R-line GTI GTD GTE and R get a different steering wheel with shiny touch sensitive buttons and heated steering wheel is standard on the these models

On the style the plus led headlights are standard and to get IQ its something like €714 with is great value really for what you get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement