Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

It’s would be a lot cheaper swap out the springs in the Beamer. Also what tyres have you on it runflats aren’t that forgiving.

Thanks, yes runflats all around, however due to change in circumstances the Beamer will have to go,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can’t speak for the GTD, I went from a 530d with adaptive suspension to a GTI, it’s not slappy at all in comparison, The bmw is a lot more refined especially if you set it up to suit you. GTI is a go cart while the bmw is a cruiser. It’s hard to compare them.
    I’m averaging long term 8.1 l/100km compared to 7.4 l/100km in the diesel. I’d assume the GTD is well under those figures.
    Are you doing much mileage?

I’m guessing you’ve a coupe and got a new addition during lockdown, congratulations : )
    The golf is very practical, easy fit a buggy, some child seats and a bit of shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Can’t speak for the GTD, I went from a 530d with adaptive suspension to a GTI, it’s not slappy at all in comparison, The bmw is a lot more refined especially if you set it up to suit you. GTI is a go cart while the bmw is a cruiser. It’s hard to compare them.
    I’m averaging long term 8.1 l/100km compared to 7.4 l/100km in the diesel. I’d assume the GTD is well under those figures.
    Are you doing much mileage?

I’m guessing you’ve a coupe and got a new addition during lockdown, congratulations : )
    The golf is very practical, easy fit a buggy, some child seats and a bit of shopping.

Haha, thanks very much drunkmonkey, yes I had an ordinary tdi golf years ago and it was a very practical car.

Yeah think I’m set on the golf now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

Lads I can't post a link to donedeal as I am a new user, but my GTI is recently up for sale - there is somebody wanting to view today but is offering 10% less than what I deem the car to be worth - is it me that is overvaluing my car or has the demand for GTIs decreased? Looking on UK and Irish sites, there is f*ck all out there with as much car for €20k.

2014 Performance Park
    DSG
    Revo stage 1
    2 owners
    50,000 miles
    3 door* (seems this rules out a lot of buyers)
    19" genuine pretorias
    res delete
    upgraded nav from factory
    panoramic sunroof
    xenons
    alcantara interior

The only extra it appears to be missing and I can't understand why, is the DCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Lads I can't post a link to donedeal as I am a new user, but my GTI is recently up for sale - there is somebody wanting to view today but is offering 10% less than what I deem the car to be worth - is it me that is overvaluing my car or has the demand for GTIs decreased? Looking on UK and Irish sites, there is f*ck all out there with as much car for €20k.

2014 Performance Park
    DSG
    Revo stage 1
    2 owners
    50,000 miles
    19" genuine pretorias
    res delete
    panoramic sunroof
    xenons
    alcantara interior

I remember this car ;)
    Its very nice, the prets look great on it.

Nice spec, but - it is one of the early Irish spec cars so I can see it's missing climate control for example.

A fella on DD is always going to try beating your price down, no matter what you pitch it at. I wouldn't entertain low ballers on the phone. If they're interested, they'll come to see it. Then talk money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

2014 Performance Park
    DSG
    Revo stage 1
    2 owners
    50,000 miles
    19" genuine pretorias
    res delete
    panoramic sunroof
    xenons
    alcantara interior

I wouldn’t even entertain or talk money with someone who hasn’t viewed the car yet.

What’s going to replace it ?

It's a sweet looking car, lads are right don't get into money on the phone, let them see it. If he still wants it for 18k then it's probably a good throw at the moment, I can see cars taking a big hit in the next 6mts. Just make sure <snip> pay you with funny money.

tossy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t even entertain or talk money with someone who hasn’t viewed the car yet.

sadly nothing for the time being, I'll be working from home for the forseeable and am in the process of buying a house..

potentally down the line with the partner we'll look at trading her Qashqai and getting a Tiguan TDI or something similar - I'll miss the GTI for sure

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I remember this car ;)
    Its very nice, the prets look great on it.

Nice spec, but - it is one of the early Irish spec cars so I can see it's missing climate control for example.

A fella on DD is always going to try beating your price down, no matter what you pitch it at. I wouldn't entertain low ballers on the phone. If they're interested, they'll come to see it. Then talk money.

Thanks Joe!

Yeah thats it also - has air con, but no climate control - not something I use very often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Didn't even know you could get the tartan seats with alcantara

sadly nothing for the time being, I'll be working from home for the forseeable and am in the process of buying a house..

potentally down the line with the partner we'll look at trading her Qashqai and getting a Tiguan TDI or something similar - I'll miss the GTI for sure

I think a lot of people, including myself, are in a similar predicament. If I had your car I'd be inclined to keep it personally, but I certainly don't need a diesel saloon...

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Didn't even know you could get the tartan seats with alcantara

Yeah that was a lovely option (rarely enough spec'd) in the MK7. They dropped it in the 7.5.

Lovely car, private sales are a challenge at best of times. If you want 20k you'd need to advertise for higher to have any hope IMO. Was approx €45k new?

Augeo wrote: »
    Lovely car, private sales are a challenge at best of times. If you want 20k you'd need to advertise for higher to have any hope IMO. Was approx €45k new?

Not too sure how much new but that does sound accurate enough - Joe is probably your man to ask! I'm the second owner, have it two years now.

I would love nothing more than to keep it, I have no doubt I'll regret it for years to come, but sadly I need the cash for house and I can't have both.

Partner will be back to work very soon, doing 40+km per day - I would encourage her to sell the Qashqai and use the GTI but I don't know which is worse, getting rid of the car or the image of her mounting it off other cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I think you're fairly spot on with the price, if you were offered around 19 for it it would be a fair deal. Lovely car and the spec is decent for an early Irish GTi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

the image of her mounting it off other cars
    Needs to go to a loving home:pac:

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I think you're fairly spot on with the price, if you were offered around 19 for it it would be a fair deal. Lovely car and the spec is decent for an early Irish GTi.

Had I not went and got the remap done only 3 months ago, I'd be more than happy with 19.. totally different car now!

Had I not went and got the remap done only 3 months ago, I'd be more than happy with 19.. totally different car now!

I know the feeling, I spent €700+ in Daltons on my GTD for new springs and tyres in November and traded it in for an R 6 weeks later. Silly move by me but at least the new owner got to enjoy them, i've driven a manual PP with the Revo map and they are indeed quite rapid!

How did you find insuring it with the remap?

Queried it with AIG, they wanted a lot of paperwork with exactly what was going to be done by Dalton's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you willingly don't tell them you will void your policy for being dishonest if they investigate a collision but who's to say it wasn't like that when you bought it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah that was a lovely option (rarely enough spec'd) in the MK7. They dropped it in the 7.5.
    Initially we established here it was a Uk option but if you had the spec code the dealers were happy to include it - towards the end of the Mark 7 it went up massively in price but initially I think about €700 - really lifts the interior while not going the full leather option and keeps its tartan heritage,
    Climatronic is nice but not really worth the option cost - for me manual air con is loads!

kooga wrote: »
    Initially we established here it was a Uk option but if you had the spec code the dealers were happy to include it - towards the end of the Mark 7 it went up massively in price but initially I think about €700 - really lifts the interior while not going the full leather option and keeps its tartan heritage,
    Climatronic is nice but not really worth the option cost - for me manual air con is loads!

You have that one the wrong way round. The half-alcanctara was never offered in the UK at all. It was always an option in the Irish spec from day one. I spec'd it on my GTI (one of the first MK7 GTI's in this country). It was around €800 yes, compared to 2k for full leather.

Climatronic is a brilliant feature. It lifts the appearance of the dash too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I had my eye on a revo intercooler as I seen it was on sale but was not allowed travel to get it fitted.
    The sale ended so I'm hoping, would anyone know of any good deals on Golf R intercoolers before I pick one up?
    Either a good price on one posted or one in Dublin that I can get fitted as stuck in Dublin at the moment.

Augeo wrote: »

In fairness to the lad, he came up from Cork, offered €19k - I initially said no but putting myself in his shoes (24, had his car stolen) I ended up calling him back.
    I'll be devastated to see it go but also relieved that it is sold, pending collection

Well done on the sale. A fair offer really but he is getting a really good car for the money.

In fairness to the lad, he came up from Cork, offered €19k - I initially said no but putting myself in his shoes (24, had his car stolen) I ended up calling him back.
    I'll be devastated to see it go but also relieved that it is sold, pending collection

Nice one, fair play. I think 19k is a decent price to get for it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

tossy wrote: »

How are you able to sell private with a 12 mth warranty? 19k is good money cuz a good 16 GTD would be around 19k.

bs2014 wrote: »
    How are you able to sell private with a 12 mth warranty? 19k is good money cuz a good 16 GTD would be around 19k.

Ended up scrapping that, it was something recommended to me online, don't know how much value they add - if any - so we both agreed it would be pointless. Decent marketing though, gets people clicking on your ad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

The likes of Car Protect do warranties for private sales. Same warranty that a lot of dealers use nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

Do you think this Golf R is worth the amount or could there be some bargaining to it. Since its over 5 years old, the price seems to be very steep granted the low mileage aside. How much would you be paying for this Golf R?

www. barnesautohouse .ie/vehicles/volkswagen/golf/dublin/2438477

Golf R's seem to be holding value very well. This car had been advertised since before Christmas as I bought a similar one at the time. For a straight deal id say it's worth around 26k. Cumiskeys have another limestone grey one recently advertised with low miles too and they are asking €29,750. I think they are much nicer with the Pretoria wheels but I guess that's personal preference.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-dsg-5dr-300bhp/24971893

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

They've had that 152 R for sale for a long time now so maybe they'd be willing to do a deal on it. That being said, Golf R's are holding their value very well so who knows. Maybe €26/26.5k for a straight deal would be quite good I reckon.

Limestone Grey is a relatively rare colour in the R too. These two cars and two others are the only ones I've seen for sale in the last two years or so, including my own. That rarity adds to the value I think anyway. Reflex silver is probably the rarest of the colours, I've only ever seen one in the country. The lapiz blue was my favourite for a long time but it's almost too common now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rob1994

Hey I am new to both boards and the mk7 GTI scene. I bought a really clean 142 car last week and I am over the moon with it. I get bored of cars fairly quickly normally within 6 months so I've been debating a revo stage 1 from Daltons.

Anyone know how this would work with insurance?

• Advertisement

Recently asked my insurer what the impact would be for the stage 1 on my premium. They said their underwriters wanted all the documentation regarding the remap before they'd make a decision and price it :rolleyes:

I'm sure it differs from insurer to insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rob1994 wrote: »
    Hey I am new to both boards and the mk7 GTI scene. I bought a really clean 142 car last week and I am over the moon with it. I get bored of cars fairly quickly normally within 6 months so I've been debating a revo stage 1 from Daltons.

Anyone know how this would work with insurance?
    you bought the car that way;)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you willingly don't tell them you will void your policy for being dishonest if they investigate a collision but who's to say it wasn't like that when you bought it...
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    you bought the car that way;)

Ye reckon insurance companies will say grand so as "I bought it that way" ?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Recently asked my insurer what the impact would be for the stage 1 on my premium. They said their underwriters wanted all the documentation regarding the remap before they'd make a decision and price it :rolleyes:

I'm sure it differs from insurer to insurer.

I tried with axa hadn't a clue what I was on about. It's a software update to improve mpg. Which in fairness it has as long as it's a warm day. I've been getting Sub 7 a lot over the last few weeks.
    How will they ever prove you had a tune, the car is totaled or missing when you get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rob1994

I tried with axa hadn't a clue what I was on about. It's a software update to improve mpg. Which in fairness it has as long as it's a warm day. I've been getting Sub 7 a lot over the last few weeks.
    How will they ever prove you had a tune, the car is totaled or missing when you get to that point.

I was thinking about saying I bought it that way but you never know with insurance companies 🀔 I was chatting with George down in Daltons on Monday and he was saying it is incredibly hard for them to find out if it was tunes or not..the only real way to know is to data log the car or a dyno! So I think it'll have to be done in a few months regardless...

• Advertisement

When are they going to that, it's going to suffer mechanical damage in a good smash so they may check the engine still runs doubt there going to check bhp if the front wheel has met the back one, if it's stolen there's nothing to dyno.
    I don't see there's anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The ea888 engine though records a "td1" flag when the ECU is flashed and is how the manufacturer has in the past refused warrant work.

If the ECU is still alive and the car isn't stolen they could potentially read this and see it's been mapped. Not sure though if it is time stamped though, so you could claim you had no idea it was mapped as you're not the only owner.

I don't know if claiming ignorance is enough but I think the chances of them looking into it is pretty low. In fact there was a user on here who's GTi was in an accident and was recovered to a VW main dealer. They reported that the car was mapped to his insurer and it made no difference. I think the insurer was Allianz. That said if you are unlucky enough to be in a fatal accident then I can see them going over the car with a fine tooth comb and you could be in a serious predicament even if you were not the cause of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

When are they going to that, it's going to suffer mechanical damage in a good smash so they may check the engine still runs doubt there going to check bhp if the front wheel has met the back one, if it's stolen there's nothing to dyno.
    I don't see there's anything to worry about.

To offer a counter point to that, I spotted this on another forum a while ago.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283163.msg2609251#msg2609251

An Irish GTI driver who says that the map was noticed when he went for an insurance claim. I believe it can be detected and might get your car 'flagged' (TD1 or something?). So if your car was previously not TD1, and then was 'flagged' while you owned it, the excuse that it was like that when I got it wouldn't fly.

I don't know how likely this is, but they don't have to go dynoing it to detect these things. The poster elaborated and said that a VW main dealer noticed it and had to disclose it to the insurance company. Surprisingly it didn't make a difference, but I'm sure they could try and use it against you.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I don't know if claiming ignorance is enough but I think the chances of them looking into it is pretty low. In fact there was a user on here who's GTi was in an accident and was recovered to a VW main dealer. They reported that the car was mapped to his insurer and it made no difference. I think the insurer was Allianz. That said if you are unlucky enough to be in a fatal accident then I can see them going over the car with a fine tooth comb and you could be in a serious predicament even if you were not the cause of the accident.

You got there before me. Link in my post above. Insurer was Aviva apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,168 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Insurance companies as a rule go out of their way to avoid paying out.

I'm contemplating getting my Mark V remapped but it will be in consultation with the insurance company. If it is too expensive, then I'll leave it.

I agree that it would be highly unlikely that an Insurance Company would check, and I might be considered boring not to do it that way, but I'd be the ****er who gets caught and has a judgement hanging over my head for the foreseeable future.

Maybe I haven't looked closely enough, but I've never seen a post where someone in Ireland successfully got an insurance company to cover their mods, and mentioned how much extra it was. I'd say nobody is declaring them, and people don't even ask about it in case it flags them up as someone to keep an eye on.

I think most car enthusiasts would be only delighted to pay an extra hundred or two a year to be covered with mods, but from what I can see, anyone who asks basically gets a 'PFO' response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

everlast75 wrote: »
    Insurance companies as a rule go out of their way to avoid paying out.

This 100%.

One of the lads on the autostadt group has a heavily modified Golf R pushing 500bhp and he has the mods declared with an engineers report so it is possible, how much extra it added I'm not sure. But there is a difference between heavily modded (intakes, exhausts, coilovers etc.) and just a sneaky remap with pretty much everything else left stock, in that case they are less likely to check in my opinion anyway.

I've always wondered where the line is. If my brakes fail and instead of replacing with the OEM, I decide to replace with something bigger and upgraded, is that a 'mod'? What about springs? A remap is pretty obviously a mod, but an upgraded set of brakes and springs, and wheels could surely be argued is just a 'replacement part'.

There's no one declaring to their insurance company when they swap the bridgestones to happy circles all around, or get the cheapest pads and discs they can off Micks Garage. How is an improved part different?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement