Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No issue with keeping it clean. Mine is as spotless as when it left the factory, but then again I am very particular about minding the car. That could change when our baby arrives in the new year!! I do very occasionally wipe the alcantara on the bolsters with a slightly damp cloth, but other than that, nothing. The alcantara on the drivers side lower bolster is a little "loose" compared to the passenger side but nothing very noticeable really.

I replaced the driver's mat with an OEM style one from Micksgarage. It's identical in fit to the standard mat except it has an extra "heel scuff" mat in the middle of it, so it's much more hard wearing than the standard one.

The sills are fine... maybe very light scuffing on the drivers side one, again barely noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

damo86 wrote: »
    Ah jesus, was hoping with my R on order I'll be unique, but seems to be an invasion coming!! (brace yourself!)

What build week are ye all getting? I have build week 51 which is quite good seeing I ordered it 2 weeks ago. UK guys are seeing up to 6months waiting time.

Didn't get a build week but I'm presuming Feb, Mar delivery. What spec you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Went for the 5dr, DSG, winterpack, tech pack (free), cloth, discover pro nav (only because the normal standard nav is frustratingly slow), keyless entry, sunroof, adaptive suspension and dyna audio. Going to keep the car a long time thats why I have a load of extras.

Should have mine in Jan the dealer said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

carsfan wrote: »
    Hi joe
    Are there any issues with keeping the suede/cloth or is it wipe able with damp cloth?
    Thanks

When i got my golf this year i went for the Autoglym lifeshine package for interior and exterior although it cost 290 euro it was worth it . Car still looks good after 25000 km. I compared a gti performance against the R on the configurator ticking a lot of boxes for the gti .. cost more than the R .. if i could afford it ... it would have to be the R a extra 70 bhp plus four wheel drive for 9500 less than the original asking price .. I had a spin in a gtd even with 180 bhp it didn't feel that exciting and it costs more to buy over gti ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

damo86 wrote: »
    Ah jesus, was hoping with my R on order I'll be unique, but seems to be an invasion coming!! (brace yourself!)

What build week are ye all getting? I have build week 51 which is quite good seeing I ordered it 2 weeks ago. UK guys are seeing up to 6months waiting time.

Ordered last Thursday , salesman tells me 10 weeks so probably mid feb at the latest - I hope !
    Anybody go for 19" (€1120 extra ) . I'm sticking with the poverty spec 18" :)
    Also could nt justify the leather .
    Are the standard seats heated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday , salesman tells me 10 weeks so probably mid feb at the latest - I hope !
    Anybody go for 19" (€1120 extra ) . I'm sticking with the poverty spec 18" :)
    Also could nt justify the leather .
    Are the standard seats heated ?

19" Cadiz are standard now. Don't think the standard seats are heated unless you select the winter pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

As bazman said, you need the winter pack, it's not expensive at all, in the scheme of things.

I'm holding off till the demos arrive in Jan for a proper test drive. Sounds like the price change has attracted plenty buyers,which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

My 2 cents

Mk7 GTD 24,000km 21/2/14

Long term Mpg has dropped below 40mpg :eek: Maybe 60% motorway at 132km/h

Extras
    Deep pearl black...............love the understated black, I don't wash the car enough to justify the pearl effect over the plain black
    DSG.................................last car had it, would never go back to manual
    Sport and sound pack............Love the fake external exhaust note explains why mpg is so bad
    19" santiagos.........................Ride is perfect in my opinion I would never shell out on dcc
    Alcantara seats........................love them, no problem keeping them clean
    Reversing camera......................a cheapish gimmick semi useful
    Tinted windows............................now standard
    Xenons..........................................now standard
    Adaptive cruise control .....................brilliant, now standard

Extras I didn't get but would like
    Auto Aircon............now standard
    Parking sensors......now standard
    A Golf R :p

Extras I don't have but don't miss
    DCC
    Keyless
    Heated seats

Loads of mk7 info and pics @ http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/

Best of luck with the new orders

PS I have the VCDS cable, Pm me if anyone wants a hand to do a few tweeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had DCC in my old Passat CC and it was a great feature given our roads. I'd say it's well worth specing it in something like a GTi or R too. DSG is other extra I'd spec too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 kearneyrob

Hi all, new to this thread but just ordered 151 golf GTD with the following:

a) solid black (debated about deep black pearl but felt solid black is ok in the event of small repairs, e.g. stone chips). Any views on this versus deep black pearl or other colours ?

b) DCC;

c) leather seats;

d) navigation pro;

e) pan sunroof;

f) dynaudio;

g) park control.

Considered winter pack but as I have heated seats and headlamp washer system the only added features I would get is heated washer nozzles (and low water washer level warning or is this standard ?). The rest is standard spec to current GTD including reverse camera / light assist (free tech pack).

Coming from 09 quattro Audi A5 so intend to keep this baby for a while - considered replacement A5 but design / features are quite dated plus Audi wanted €1,750 for adaptive cruise control alone !!!

Would welcome your thoughts on the above spec - anything else I should consider ?

Thanks, Rob

kearneyrob wrote: »
    Hi all, new to this thread but just ordered 151 golf GTD with the following:

a) solid black (debated about deep black pearl but felt solid black is ok in the event of small repairs, e.g. stone chips). Any views on this versus deep black pearl or other colours ?

b) DCC;

c) leather seats;

d) navigation pro;

e) pan sunroof;

f) dynaudio;

g) park control.

Considered winter pack but as I have heated seats and headlamp washer system the only added features I would get is heated washer nozzles (and low water washer level warning or is this standard ?). The rest is standard spec to current GTD including reverse camera / light assist (free tech pack).

Coming from 09 quattro Audi A5 so intend to keep this baby for a while - considered replacement A5 but design / features are quite dated plus Audi wanted €1,750 for adaptive cruise control alone !!!

Would welcome your thoughts on the above spec - anything else I should consider ?

Thanks, Rob

I thought Rob Kearney gets free VW's, no? :P

The solid black will look the dogs danglies (for 5 minutes or so after you've spent 2 hours washing it) but it will break your balls to mind it, it'll show up every little mark, ding, chip! I think the metallic black would be marginally easier to keep. If you're keen on darker colours, the Carbon Grey is really classy looking and it's unique to the GTI/D.

Low-washer fluid warning is standard yes (with the xenons), so yes, the winter pack only gives you heated washer jets above what you already have.

Personally I would add keyless entry. It's my favourite feature, it's genuinely useful and gives the car a bit more of a premium feel.

Must be close on 40k kearneyrob with that spec ?

Must be close on 40k kearneyrob with that spec ?

I'd say closer to 45k... The leather and Pro Nav would be ~4k between them.

Hey JoeA3, thanks for your reply - unfortunately I'm the other Rob Kearney!!

Also forgot to mention I have keyless entry spec'd also on the GTD so good to hear your comments on same. Have had black coloured cars for over 25 years so no how dirty they can get real quick - seems like you just wash and you get a downpour of rain with resulting crap on our roads. White looks good but fashions may change and sunroof doesn't look good with this or other colours. Thought about CSG colour - looks good, is unique to GTD / GTI but is it too common ?

Any feedback / thought on DCC anyone ?

Hey JoeA3, thanks for your reply - unfortunately I'm the other Rob Kearney!!

Also forgot to mention I have keyless entry spec'd also on the GTD so good to hear your comments on same. Have had black coloured cars for over 25 years so no how dirty they can get real quick - seems like you just wash and you get a downpour of rain with resulting crap on our roads. White looks good but fashions may change and sunroof doesn't look good with this or other colours. Thought about CSG colour - looks good, is unique to GTD / GTI but is it too common ?

Any feedback / thought on DCC anyone ?

I haven't got DCC myself. If I had 19's on the car I'd probably consider it a worthy option, but on the 18's I find the standard ride generally good. I suppose it depends what you are used to. If you are coming from an Audi A5, then I guess you are used to having a slightly firm ride! I have been driving cars with large wheels / "sporty" suspension for years now, but others might find my car a bit harsh if they weren't used to it.

A friend of mine has DCC in his GTI and as far as I know he rarely changes it from the default settings. "Sport" setting sets everything up too harsh and "comfort/Econ" is too much the other way, so he has it set somewhere in the middle, which is probably where the standard non-DCC car is :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Audi A5 was s-line too - very firm ride !! VW configurator wouldn't allow me to combine pan sunroof with 19" wheels otherwise would have done so - 18"s can be replaced at later stage .........

Serious spec there Kearneyrob I doubt there's any boxes left to tick.

Have you driven a GTD yet?

I think you'll be taking a backwards step in handling and grip coming from a Quatro S-line. Any sign of a damp road and mine just wants to spin at take off.

I'm hoping a change from Dunlops to Goodyear eagle F1 ASY2 will give me a bit more grip.

I'm dreaming of a Mk8 golf R-D with the new 2.0tdi biturbo 240+bhp from the passat and 4wd...fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That a Mark 7 GTD spinning? Takes serious effort to get the FR to spin.

Good to see you guys optioning already well specced cars, they're going to be serious motors.

That a Mark 7 GTD spinning? Takes serious effort to get the FR to spin.

Good to see you guys optioning already well specced cars, they're going to be serious motors.

Yep Mk7 GTD. On 19" Dunlops. I think the stiffer and smaller sidewalls have less give or flex and will lose traction quicker.

I had an A3 2.0tdi 140bhp sport last time round and I would pick the the A3 for both handling and grip every time. Obviously the GTD has more power and torque but I felt the A3 tried it's best to find any bit of grip but the GTD just seems to throw in the towel and spin until you ease of.

I can't really compare like with like until I get back to Goodyears.

Hi Munurty, have taken Mk 7 GTD for a quick spin but not really driven it. Obviously cannot really compare against A5 quattro for grip but as I said earlier a 2015 similar spec'd quattro A5 is €64k - highly spec'd GTD is €46k - big differential and considering A5 is old design now it's a no brainer. Looked at new Audi TT - lovely car but no quattro (Tdi) and rear seat space severely restricted for just shopping bags only !

• Advertisement

GTD in 4WD would be nice option - pity it's just restricted to R but who knows in the future. 4WD option now coming in more from BMW and Audi, particularly at 2.0 diesel level. Don't know why new Audi TT 2.0 Tdi doesn't have this option now but I'm sure it will come ......

Hi Munurty, have taken Mk 7 GTD for a quick spin but not really driven it. Obviously cannot really compare against A5 quattro for grip but as I said earlier a 2015 similar spec'd quattro A5 is €64k - highly spec'd GTD is €46k - big differential and considering A5 is old design now it's a no brainer. Looked at new Audi TT - lovely car but no quattro (Tdi) and rear seat space severely restricted for just shopping bags only !

I justify the GTD the same way :). The only other car that would interest me would be a 420d m-sport but again over the 60k mark when specced.

Most people would think it's crazy money to spend on a golf but it has the spec, finish and refinement of a much dearer car.

Have you considered the sport and sound pack?
    External exhaust sound (back box removed and sound amplifier fitted inside exhaust which can be turned on/off) and red brake calipers.
    Obviously the purists will say it doesn't belong on a diesel golf and they're right but it definitely increases my enjoyment of the car.

Yeah, considered sport and sound pack but thought this option may go against DCC option but more importantly this, on the VW configurator, is well over €1,000 when I thought it was only around €300 mark. Any thought on this ......... ?

Drove the 420d m-sport (test drive only) and wasn't overly impressed despite the cost. Also on aesthetics prefer the Audi and VW golf cockpit / cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Yeah, considered sport and sound pack but thought this option may go against DCC option but more importantly this, on the VW configurator, is well over €1,000 when I thought it was only around €300 mark. Any thought on this ......... ?

Drove the 420d m-sport (test drive only) and wasn't overly impressed despite the cost. Also on aesthetics prefer the Audi and VW golf cockpit / cabin.

Rob,

I have the DCC on my Gti, and I do use it quiet a bit. I usually leave the car in the softest setting for both Engine and suspension. Which makes the sport setting all the better on a Sunday morning trash... I find that constant DCC Sport gets tiring after a while (but I am getting on a bit)...

The other option is the Pano roof, which is great during the summer. Even in poor weather, bit bring lots of light into an otherwise dark cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I am also considering upgrading to a GTI. My annual mileage is around 28000km so it is borderline diesel territory.

Think i'd regret a GTD as it would just not be as much fun as the GTI and for the ~10-15mpg benefit, would not be worth it to me (At least that's how i'm trying to justify it in my head!).

Do you mind me asking what dealer you are considering going with?

Will have to do some legwork this week and see what trade in offers they'll give me on my i40.

An update in case anyone is interested. I've just come back from the dealer after agreeing a deal on;

GTI 5 Door Manual with Keyless, Technology Pack (Free) and 3 free services.

The colour i've gone for is Limestone Grey. I know some people are not fans of it but to me it seems to be the right choice (at the moment!).

I had viewed a Carbon Steel Grey GTI in MSL ballsbridge during the week. It looked amazing under the showroom lights but I think its a little too dark for my taste.

I previously had a metallic black Mark 5 GTI and found it a nightmare to keep clean.

I may yet change the colour back to CSG but at the moment i'm, 99% on Limestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Congrats!
    Are you getting the performance model?
    I presume you got a good deal in the end?

Thanks!

Couldn't stretch to a Performance Model in the end.

I didn't have as much equity in the i40 as I had thought.

I'm happy enough with the deal I got though, as the dealer i'm going with could do a bit more than the others I had spoken to (who were all in and around the same).

Have you ordered your GTI yet? What is the final spec you are going for?

An update in case anyone is interested. I've just come back from the dealer after agreeing a deal on;

GTI 5 Door Manual with Keyless, Technology Pack (Free) and 3 free services.

The colour i've gone for is Limestone Grey. I know some people are not fans of it but to me it seems to be the right choice (at the moment!).

I had viewed a Carbon Steel Grey GTI in MSL ballsbridge during the week. It looked amazing under the showroom lights but I think its a little too dark for my taste.

I previously had a metallic black Mark 5 GTI and found it a nightmare to keep clean.

I may yet change the colour back to CSG but at the moment i'm, 99% on Limestone.

The limestone is quite nice IMO, and a bit different from the norm. It goes well with the red detailing too on the GTI. Good luck with it!

I ordered the carbon grey on gti performance manual with keyless and full leather. Got the tech pack and the service deal too.
    Haven't had a petrol or a manual car in years so looking forward to driving one again.
    Dealer says 12 to 15 weeks but will know more next week.
    I flirted with limestone grey but the demo was grey so went with what I had seen.
    Apparently I have a week or so to change spec or colour if I want.

Sounds nice Carsfan ! was there much in the difference in an "r" after you speced it up ?

• Advertisement

I did spec an r at one stage and I think there was 5k difference not sure.
    Can't justify this or the increased running costs. The gti is our second car and will be plenty enough for me I think.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The limestone is quite nice IMO, and a bit different from the norm. It goes well with the red detailing too on the GTI. Good luck with it!

Thanks joe!

I'm a fan of pure white like yours but it's the one colour the other half would not sanction!

The limestone seems to divide opinion but I also think it has a nice contrast against the red and the black trim.

This weeks Autocar top 50 cars on sale today Golf R in number one spot ..

noelf wrote: »
    This weeks Autocar top 50 cars on sale today Golf R in number one spot ..

Jeasus I hope their right !

Jeasus I hope their right !

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news ;);)

Not exactly on topic but I got a BMW420d for the weekend, just dropped it back this morning.

While the car is great to look, good economy and the suspension is supple and soaks up bumps probably better that the GTI, in every other respect id take the Golf over it.

Car tech, fit and finish, driving position, sound proofing, performance, basic day to day usability all better on the GTi...

I had briefly though about changing to a 420 next year, but I think ill stick with my GTi or upgrade to an R...

I had a bmw 330d bought new in 2013.
    Performance was brilliant but every other aspect was as you say for the 420d.
    The golf is better finished and better sound proofed.
    The best bmw all round is the 520d. The 3/4 series is way over priced for what it delivers in my opinion.

I was in a boggo spec 420, (not even alloys), but it would still by over €45K...

That's a lot of GTi / R Right there... :D:D:D

carsfan wrote: »
    I had a bmw 330d bought new in 2013.
    Performance was brilliant but every other aspect was as you say for the 420d.
    The golf is better finished and better sound proofed.
    The best bmw all round is the 520d. The 3/4 series is way over priced for what it delivers in my opinion.

im coming from a 520 d to a new " r "- am i crazy ???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

MisterDrak wrote: »
    My Two Cent Worth...

Have my Mk7 Gti since Aug 2013, and now getting 32.2mpg from it, although I do very low mileage, with all of it being short start stop city driving.

http://imgur.com/EfH1IH2

What MPG App is that?

Road Trip - Version 11.1

Pretty good, MPG, €/Litre, €/KM, KM/Day stats...

Bling rhino, I traded my 330 back in for a 520d m sport after a year as I didn't rate it and couldn't live with what I perceived were it's shortcomings.
    I had a 520 before it and went back to one. They are a great blend of quality,performance, frugality in my opinion. There is a good reason there are so many out there.
    A golf r will be a much faster, driver orientated car. It is great value too and I doubt you will be disappointed.
    You most definitely are not mad!

Hey guys, coming from an A5 quattro 2.0 tdi (170bhp) and test drove a 420d a couple of weeks ago before I ordered the GTD. 420d looks good but not impressed overall - would prefer A5 / GTD over 420d any day (tech an cabin superior). 5 series is a super car but too big if you are in it 95% of the time on your own (like me). Considered Mercedes A class but only for the looks - tech and cabin way behind both Audi and current Golf.

Has anyone got their build week confirmed for their GTD / GTI / R?

I was told today that my GTI is confirmed for Build Week 4 (Changed colour to CSG a couple of weeks ago).

Apparently, it should be in Ireland a couple of weeks later. So looking at first or second week in February for pick up apparently.

My car was confirmed build week 3 but I was told to expect march delivery.
    Why the colour change?

• Advertisement

I have build in week 7 so March delivery at best.

I saw a couple of Limestone Grey Golfs (non-GTI) in a dealers and then went back to view the CSG GTI in MSL Ballsbridge.

Having seen it in the flesh again, I thought it was a better match to the GTI. Maybe that's slightly unfair given that the others were not GTI's but for me, it's the "safer" decision.

Allow anywhere from as little as 10 days to 5-6 weeks from your build date to actual delivery. This has been my experience. I'd say 3-4 weeks would be about average.

The car actually only takes a matter of hours to build but your car may literally just "miss the boat" to Ireland and there might not be another ship going to an Irish port for a few weeks after that. Then when it does eventually land in Dublin (after being at sea for 2-3 days!) it could be a few days before it's transported to your dealer and then they have to PDI, register it, etc etc.

My current car took about 4 weeks but that suited me as I wanted to wait for the July 1st reg change. The previous car landed in the dealers barely 10 days after the build date.

Thanks Joe.

I'm not in a mad rush for it anyway. Easy to say that now though. I'm sure that come the end of January, i'll be mad to get my hands on it!

I remember my Dad bought a Mark 4 GTI in 2001 from Bradys in Castleknock. 22 weeks lead time if I remember correctly.

His first and only new car he ever bought - and he let me drive it out of the showroom!

wow!
    that brings back memories to me. My first brand new car was a black golf gti 1.8T mark 4 in 1999. I ordered in February and got it in July.
    I remember it was 150bhp and generated 155lbs of torque and at the time I thought it was a rocket. 0 to 60 was 8.5 seconds I think.
    It came with a glass roof but you could delete the roof and pay a reduced amount to get manual a/c. Who in Ireland would be bothered with air conditioning when you can have a sunroof I thought!
    I think it was about 21000 pounds to buy which people told me was mad money for a golf...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement