Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

Dealer apologised for their error on original order and I negotiated a250 discount on any extras I wanted to add at that stage. Ordered the pan roof you might get some of the cheaper options thrown in if you push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I ordered my R in late Nov and it arrived in the second week of Feb. 5 door Lapiz blue, dsg, leather. Just over 3500kms at this stage and about 60% motorway driving. Average mpg is around 28mpg. The 4wd is very impressive...glued to the road in all conditions.

Lucky you. I will be waiting near 6 months. Do you have launch control or sport setting on dsg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Lucky you. I will be waiting near 6 months. Do you have launch control or sport setting on dsg

You can launch control on dsg, and there is regular D and Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Is there a chance these dealers are delaying cars to the 152 reg to boost 2nd half of year figures etc etc???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt it, they are selling plenty of bread and butter Golfs to cover monthly sales figures. A Gti or R would not be a large a volume seller in this country and the Irish market is quite small as a whole. The delay seems to be either allocation (bigger markets where demand is stronger get bigger allocations) and/or production related.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Hoping to order a 152 myself. Started the ball rolling today. Been looking around. Few queries some of ye might be able to comment on.

The pearl white paint, what's the difference between it and regular metallic; why does it cost another 500 odd over regular pearl paint? Why would it be worth over a 1000 euro?!

What kind of discount off list price are people getting for straight deals?

And, why does the GTD cost 2K more here, while across the water it's a couple of hundred cheaper (well going by a few youtube reviews anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Hoping to order a 152 myself. Started the ball rolling today. Been looking around. Few queries some of ye might be able to comment on.

The pearl white paint, what's the difference between it and regular metallic; why does it cost another 500 odd over regular pearl paint? Why would it be worth over a 1000 euro?!

What kind of discount off list price are people getting for straight deals?

And, why does the GTD cost 2K more here, while across the water it's a couple of hundred cheaper (well going by a few youtube reviews anyway).

The oryx White is "special order". There's no difference apart from that! Just marketing. VW aren't unique in this. I know Ford for example charge mad money for one of the metallics on the Focus. The regular white is free and you'd need to be up very close to the car under bright light to see the difference.

Discount on a straight deal - in or around 2 - 2.5k I'm told.

GTD price is mostly due to VRT.

I got the screen shot today. Car was ordered 26th feb. Correct. Desired week is 14, don't know if dealer chose it or it was earliest week available. Confirmed SGW week 19, no other dates included. Don't know if that is a build date but have requested more info. Saw a uk polo that didn't leave factory until 6 weeks after sgw???? I'm told system will update in next few days with all details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I got the screen shot today. Car was ordered 26th feb. Correct. Desired week is 14, don't know if dealer chose it or it was earliest week available. Confirmed SGW week 19, no other dates included. Don't know if that is a build date but have requested more info. Saw a uk polo that didn't leave factory until 6 weeks after sgw???? I'm told system will update in next few days with all details.

I gave my garage 48 hours to get their story straight and also see what they are going to do about the delay.

Surprise surprise I haven't heard from them yet - plan on heading over there this afternoon/evening to talk to them about it :mad:

• Advertisement

Starting to boil here too. No reply from them today so far. Let me know how you get on. Hopefully you will get a look at the screen. Mine has a note at the top saying Desired week not confirmed in red font. Dont know if the factory or dealer have to confirm. You might also check what SGW date means. It was not a build date in the past but that may have changed. Hope you get some joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The oryx White is "special order". There's no difference apart from that! Just marketing. VW aren't unique in this. I know Ford for example charge mad money for one of the metallics on the Focus. The regular white is free and you'd need to be up very close to the car under bright light to see the difference.

Discount on a straight deal - in or around 2 - 2.5k I'm told.

GTD price is mostly due to VRT.

Yeah, I was offered 2500 straight up on a basic GTI without and haggling. And I saw 3000 scribbled down against a price on an R for another customer.

Looks like the only option that catches my eye that I'd go for is 7X5 Parrallel Park Assist including park distance control at 205.

I'm presuming this works on bay parking too, or does it?!

The camera and distance sensors are free (tech pack) / standard now anyway.

Not that I'd probably ever use the feature, put it must be worth the money to see the car steer itself!

Keyless access doesn't seem to come without the alarm...

Anyone know if the now standard 18" Austins come with locking bolts?

I had to but them separately last time for a highline car.

Are headlight washers now standard with the Xenon's, they used always go together. I.e., one less thing extra you'd be getting on the Winter Pack.

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was offered 2500 straight up on a basic GTI without and haggling. And I saw 3000 scribbled down against a price on an R for another customer.

Looks like the only option that catches my eye that I'd go for is 7X5 Parrallel Park Assist including park distance control at 205.

I'm presuming this works on bay parking too, or does it?!

The camera and distance sensors are free (tech pack) / standard now anyway.

Not that I'd probably ever use the feature, put it must be worth the money to see the car steer itself!

Keyless access doesn't seem to come without the alarm...

Anyone know if the now standard 18" Austins come with locking bolts?

I had to but them separately last time for a highline car.

Are headlight washers now standard with the Xenon's, they used always go together. I.e., one less thing extra you'd be getting on the Winter Pack.

Keyless requires you to spec the alarm so it is a pricey option overall yes. On the R the alarm is standard, so keyless is cheaper!

Locking wheel nuts have always been standard on GTI alloys.

Xenons are legally required to have washers, so yes those are standard.

Winter pack is pretty poor value. Especially if you spec leather, as leather comes with heated seats. So if you spec winter pack in that case you are paying big for heated washer jets!

Park assist is for parallel parking... For those that struggle to park! With rear camera and parking sensors standard, I can't see how you'd need it.

Starting to boil here too. No reply from them today so far. Let me know how you get on. Hopefully you will get a look at the screen. Mine has a note at the top saying Desired week not confirmed in red font. Dont know if the factory or dealer have to confirm. You might also check what SGW date means. It was not a build date in the past but that may have changed. Hope you get some joy.

okay,
    went out to dealer as 48 hours were up and no sign of an email. salesman called me over and showed me the forecast for the day I ordered.. showing 14 weeks.

he confirmed he received NO weekly updates at all since only to receive this week a week 27 forecast.

he accepted completely that it was VW fault and the girl assigned to allocate spaces gave him no joy so he's above her head on Tuesday.

I told him I'd sourced a GTD in Deansgrange, a FR 184 and was test driving them both on Saturday.

he confirmed he would return the deposit if I wanted to, but offered a courtesy car until mine arrived. plus he'd throw in the protective coat at 299 for free and all I had to do was wait til Tuesday to make my mind up.

was happy enough with that. I'll rack up mileage in their car and probably end up with a 152 reg!

I suppose he can't do much better than that for you, not too bad!

everlast75 wrote: »
    okay,
    went out to dealer as 48 hours were up and no sign of an email. salesman called me over and showed me the forecast for the day I ordered.. showing 14 weeks.

he confirmed he received NO weekly updates at all since only to receive this week a week 27 forecast.

he accepted completely that it was VW fault and the girl assigned to allocate spaces gave him no joy so he's above her head on Tuesday.

I told him I'd sourced a GTD in Deansgrange, a FR 184 and was test driving them both on Saturday.

he confirmed he would return the deposit if I wanted to, but offered a courtesy car until mine arrived. plus he'd throw in the protective coat at 299 for free and all I had to do was wait til Tuesday to make my mind up.

was happy enough with that. I'll rack up mileage in their car and probably end up with a 152 reg!

It seems to be out of the dealers' hands. VW seem to do what they like. You ordered 2nd week Feb, now week27. I orgered golf R 4th week Feb, now week 19. Problem for me is I ordered 4 th week December and the dealer admitted to messing that one up . From UK forum I see Rs ordered same week as me all knew it would be week 19 from the start. I still haven' t found out how long after that it will arrive at dealer

indeed - I vocalised in no uncertain terms the p*** poor information coming from VW to him. that's where the problem lies. of course, he has the incentive of whatever bonus he makes on the sale to keep him keen.

I can't tell if they can do anything for me in terms of pulling the dare forward. I'd suspect it's the same for you. the only thing they may be able to do is mark it as a priority and see if they can jump the queue so to speak :-/

as for your dealer, I'm sure they would be amenable to doing something for you because if their F up.

have you rang other dealers to see if they've one ordered with the customer pulling out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

MisterDrak wrote: »
    How do you find the DSG ?

I've been thinking about changing to the DSG from the manual... A DSG or a Performance pack is the real question ???

Apologies for the slow reply :o

I love the DSG - my wife drives a MKV GTI with DSG and that sold me on it. Along with the auto lights, auto handbrake, auto wipers - its great. I'm all for technology making life easier and if you want to manually change hears, you've got the paddles for that.

Mine is actually a 13 reg but I picked it up this year. Currently 13k on the clock and last week I finally got to drive it on a long distance. By the half point on the petrol tank I'd manged 350KMs which was about the limit on my old WRX.

Heres a snap of it the day I bought it.

IMG_3113_zpssjtdaat8.jpg

One thing that is annoying me though - I think the paint is quite soft, BMW soft. I have some collinite 845 to put on it, so hoping that hardens it a bit. It reminds me of the paint on my M3, that was like butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

That is a beautiful looking gti.
    Is that onyx white?
    The 19 inch wheels suit it well.

• Advertisement

carsfan wrote: »
    That is a beautiful looking gti.
    Is that onyx white?
    The 19 inch wheels suit it well.

Cheers it's called oryx white. Being honest I didn't notice until the sales chap showed it parked beside a normal white golf.

The 19s look great and the ride quality is fine for our roads. I'm dreading having to buy tires for it though.

Just received, the email from the salesman..

"...the delay in confirmation was due to restrictions on production due to some components but have not been advised as to what components these were.

..we have been given a confirmed production slot in week 20. It is confirmed for that week and will not be any later and equally, will not be any sooner.

As we are in week 15 currently, production will start in week commencing 11th May and delivery would take 3 weeks thereafter, leading in to the first week in June. It can be registered on arrival in June or you could wait for the new 152 registration plate on July 1st, whichever you prefer.

... If this is not to your satisfaction, I will refund your deposit without hesitation"

No mention of the replacement car however, so I've mailed him on that point...

Sounds good. Once BW is confirmed like that it should be locked in and won't change again. You will miss out on the BW22 changes by just a fortnight though!

"...the delay in confirmation was due to restrictions on production due to some components but have not been advised as to what components these were.

..we have been given a confirmed production slot in week 20. It is confirmed for that week and will not be any later and equally, will not be any sooner.

As we are in week 15 currently, production will start in week commencing 11th May and delivery would take 3 weeks thereafter, leading in to the first week in June. It can be registered on arrival in June or you could wait for the new 152 registration plate on July 1st, whichever you prefer.

... If this is not to your satisfaction, I will refund your deposit without hesitation"

Sounds good. Once BW is confirmed like that it should be locked in and won't change again. You will miss out on the BW22 changes by just a fortnight though!

I asked about that when with the salesman on Thursday. He said that this change in LCD screen hit production problems, something to do with the cellular network in Ireland!? He said its not confirmed for the Passat yet but definitely won't be making it into the other cars :confused:

I asked about that when with the salesman on Thursday. He said that this change in LCD screen hit production problems, something to do with the cellular network in Ireland!? He said its not confirmed for the Passat yet but definitely won't be making it into the other cars :confused:

Oh man!!

This is what I saw posted on the UK GTI forum. If the UK cars are getting the new radios we definitely will do - but perhaps certain features won't work....

Inflationary price increase across the range –

VW0398-15

The following model year 2016 (MY16) product changes take effect from build week 22 2015 (starting Monday 25 May). Model year 2016 will be open for ordering in the week starting Monday 27 April. Make sure your customers know about these changes if their factory order will be affected.

What’s happening in MY16?

An inflationary price increase on models and options will take effect from 27 April 2015

Golf

The 1.2 TSI 105PS and 1.6 TDI 90PS engines will be removed from the S trim
    Introducing the 1.6 TDI 110PS on the GT trim
    There is no change to EU6 engines – GTD, GTI, GTE, e-Golf and Golf R. All other engines change to EU6 with some changes to power output and CO2 emission figures
    Composition Media moves from MIB generation 1 to generation 2
    Optional Discover Nav/Discover Nav Pro moves from MIB generation 1 to generation 2
    Any model ordered with Discover Nav will get 3 years Car-Net ‘Guide and Inform’ included
    4MOTION badge changes from polished to high gloss chrome
    New colour option available – Deep ocean blue
    Optional Car-Net App-Connect available £100

Better news at last. Back from week 27 to 20. I wonder where my week 19 will end up when confirmed. Heard nothing this week but email now sent.

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    Cheers it's called oryx white. Being honest I didn't notice until the sales chap showed it parked beside a normal white golf.

The 19s look great and the ride quality is fine for our roads. I'm dreading having to buy tires for it though.

you fecker! you have me doubting my tornado red ;)
    (in fairness I've seen so many shades of "tornado red" on the Internet I was on shaky ground anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Do the price of options vary depending on Vrt rate?? On the vw.ie configurator the price of options seem to stay the same. Is the sales guy bullsh*t*ng me?

bmm wrote: »
    Do the price of options vary depending on Vrt rate?? On the vw.ie configurator the price of options seem to stay the same. Is the sales guy bullsh*t*ng me?

Yeah they'd vary slightly. Met paint is a few quid more on the R than on the GTI for example.

you fecker! you have me doubting my tornado red ;)
    (in fairness I've seen so many shades of "tornado red" on the Internet I was on shakeup ground anyway)

Red will look fantastic. I really like how it matches with the badges and the red strip across the front grill and headlights.

ondafly wrote: »
    Red will look fantastic. I really like how it matches with the badges and the red strip across the front grill and headlights.

Its a GTD I'm getting, so no red strip across the grill or headlights!

Decisions decisions - i've read that the red colour fades as it is non metallic and pearl white is so unusual :confused:

I've to notify the dealer within the next 24 hours!!

Help! :(

(I know I know, first world problems!)

• Advertisement

Its a GTD I'm getting, so no red strip across the grill or headlights!

Decisions decisions - i've read that the red colour fades as it is non metallic and pearl white is so unusual :confused:

I've to notify the dealer within the next 24 hours!!

Help! :(

(I know I know, first world problems!)

Red fades over time only if not kept waxed or polished so this is not an issue. A t-cut would sort it out but you're hardly going to keep it for 10 years. If you like the red go for it. I think it suits the car perfectly and would be my choice after white. Even if the pearl and pure white were the same price I would still go for the latter. The pearl stands out when wet but as with all metallics it shows up scratches and chips. It is easier to keep the non metallics looking well as the car ages in my experience. Go for red!!!!

bazz26 wrote: »

They aren't the same colour. The VW is carbon grey, which is only available on the GTI/D.

Look very similar to my untrained eyes.

F*** it - ordered the 5 dr Red GTD with sport and sound package, 19" alloys and locked it in at that.

If I don't like it over time, I can always get a vinyl wrap in pearl white.

Now the dreaded countdown!

Will hold off getting the loan car for as long as possible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Have a red Audi A3 from new , after 17 years , car is perfect but paint is f*cked ! I am going for a metallic for the new Golf and it won't be red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice reply there.................

bazz26 wrote: »
    Look very similar to my untrained eyes.

Yeah, similar-ish, in that they could both be called grey :pac:

Definitely not the same shade though.

Better news at last. Back from week 27 to 20. I wonder where my week 19 will end up when confirmed. Heard nothing this week but email now sent.

let us know how you get on. They seem to be now in a position where they can be more certain. Hopefully your date will be locked down soon

F*** it - ordered the 5 dr Red GTD with sport and sound package, 19" alloys and locked it in at that.

Good decision, it will look stunning. Got confirmation in the last hour, week 19 finished production, arrives Dublin port June 2nd. At dealer a week later. On holidays 10th to 15th. Wait for July plate??????. Does it make any difference to resale in 3/4 years?????

• Advertisement

Good decision, it will look stunning. Got confirmation in the last hour, week 19 finished production, arrives Dublin port June 2nd. At dealer a week later. On holidays 10th to 15th. Wait for July plate??????. Does it make any difference to resale in 3/4 years?????

If it was me, and I wasn't stuck for a car for those 3 weeks, I'd wait. Why take the chance? :)

Having said that, I'll be chomping at the bit to go and pick mine up, and mine isn't even an R :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

You won't regret red. Paint has come a long way and the colour shouldn't fade as long as you take care of it. A 6 monthly polish and wax / seal should do the trick.

Red is the best colour on a GTD in my opinion.

Although red is the original colour on the GTI, pure white followed by carbon steel grey are the best colours on the Mk7 GTI imo.

Edit: congratulations and well wear!

You won't regret red. Paint has come a long way and the colour shouldn't fade as long as you take care of it. A 6 monthly polish and wax / seal should do the trick.

Red is the best colour on a GTD in my opinion.

Although red is the original colour on the GTI, pure white followed by carbon steel grey are the best colours on the Mk7 GTI imo.

Edit: congratulations and well wear!

Hopefully it will look like this :D:D

As this thread seems to have developed into one where most contributors are buying or have bought golf GTI/GTD/R, including myself, can I ask without being nosy if anybody's decisions were influenced by the very low finance rates thet VW are offering on these models or would you be buying anyway?
    1.9 per cent on a pcp seems very attractive to me and I went with it although I was unaware of it when I initially went looking at the cars. They are excellent cars and I still can't see a catch. Am I missing something?

As this thread seems to have developed into one where most contributors are buying or have bought golf GTI/GTD/R, including myself, can I ask without being nosy if anybody's decisions were influenced by the very low finance rates thet VW are offering on these models or would you be buying anyway?
    1.9 per cent on a pcp seems very attractive to me and I went with it although I was unaware of it when I initially went looking at the cars. They are excellent cars and I still can't see a catch. Am I missing something?

I would have bought the R regardless as not looking for finance. I hope you got the discount or were you trading in?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

In my case, the changes in the standard spec in October 2014 meant that the GTI was all of a sudden better value for money. Although the price went up a little, they basically brought the spec up to UK levels (Xenons, Climate, 18" alloys, PDC, rear tints etc).

When I looked into trading in my old car, I found out that they were also offering 1.9% on the GTI, (had originally assumed it was on highline models only) it became a very attractive proposition.

The tech pack along with 3 free services were just the icing on top!

Like foreign sports, I was attracted to the gti when the spec was improved last year.
    I got 3 k discount then off list and the freebies plus servicing were a bonus.
    The offer of pcp at 1.9 per cent came into it at the end and I decided to give it a go even though I had the money to buy the car. I thought I would try to invest it and see if I could make ore then what the interest costs will be. Only that the rate is so low I wouldn't have been interested as the car itself was the draw.

I would never have considered the R at its old price point. It was off the wall but now it is a very well packaged car for the money IMO.
    The 1.9% PCP is attractive and I'll likely make use of it but it was never a deciding factor in the overall purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

I would never have considered the R at its old price point. It was off the wall but now it is a very well packaged car for the money IMO.
    The 1.9% PCP is attractive and I'll likely make use of it but it was never a deciding factor in the overall purchase.

Weren't they asking 60k for the Golf R when it came out first, as opposed to around 40k nowadays?

Anyhow, I was in Turner's Cross Motors in Cork yesterday, and they had sold two R's in short order. It fecked up my chance for a test drive :)

• Advertisement

Donne wrote: »
    Weren't they asking 60k for the Golf R when it came out first, as opposed to around 40k nowadays?

Anyhow, I was in Turner's Cross Motors in Cork yesterday, and they had sold two R's in short order. It fecked up my chance for a test drive :)

They knocked about €9.5k off it in November last year. VW had sold 3 MK7 R's up to that point. I believe they have sold ~50 so far this year alone. Clearly the price cut has had a big effect and those (like me) who would have opted for a GTI PP are now going for the R. They now start at around €43.5k for a 3 door manual but you'll quickly see €50k with more doors, DSG and a couple of options (although the standard spec is generous).

You might struggle to get a test drive as most of them coming in would be customer ordered, not for stock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement