Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

The stock R (€54K sticker price) that came into McAllister's in Airside, was available for test drive for 1 day, for current GTi owners only.

Luckily I got a decent long test drive on the Saturday (some weeks ago at this stage), but I found out last week that the car was bought the next Day (Monday) for cash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MisterDrak wrote: »
    The stock R (€54K sticker price) that came into McAllister's in Airside, was available for test drive for 1 day, for current GTi owners only.

Luckily I got a decent long test drive on the Saturday (some weeks ago at this stage), but I found out last week that the car was bought the next Day (Monday) for cash...

They are selling very strongly. I believe that over 50 have been ordered/sold since the turn of the year compared to just 3 in the whole of last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

That is an amazing increase and I think is as much due to an improving economy as the price reduction.
    I bet the 3 people who bought in 2014 are a bit Peed off though!
    ive seen two Rs this year. One black and the other blue. Both looked great and I thought less bling than I expected them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Called up today to collect the loan car from the garage.

Rang the insurance company with the particulars. Was told that I needed the registration number of the car I am buying. Informed them that I couldn't possibly know that, as it won't arrive 'til June!

Was informed in that case, I could not get insurance and couldn't drive the loan car.

Garage is panicking now (as am I) as if I don't have a car for the next two months, I may have to buy an alternative.

Any ideas??

everlast75 wrote: »
    Called up today to collect the loan car from the garage.

Rang the insurance company with the particulars. Was told that I needed the registration number of the car I am buying. Informed them that I couldn't possibly know that, as it won't arrive 'til June!

Was informed in that case, I could not get insurance and couldn't drive the loan car.

Garage is panicking now (as am I) as if I don't have a car for the next two months, I may have to buy an alternative.

Any ideas??

Oh god... very similar thing happened to me years ago. Dealers obliged me by giving me a loaner but once my existing policy elapsed, they weren't interested in insuring me again until I actually owned the car I was driving!

I ended up spending weeks borrowing cars, etc... not ideal.

I don't know... can you drive on garage insurance? Can you give the insurance the reg of one of the dealer's cars? I guess that won't work either.

Alternatively, buy a banger to tide you over...

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Oh god... very similar thing happened to me years ago. Dealers obliged me by giving me a loaner but once my existing policy elapsed, they weren't interested in insuring me again until I actually owned the car I was driving!

I ended up spending weeks borrowing cars, etc... not ideal.

I don't know... can you drive on garage insurance? Can you give the insurance the reg of one of the dealer's cars? I guess that won't work either.

Alternatively, buy a banger to tide you over...

Asked the garage about their insurance and was told they can't do that!?

Pretty much think I'm destined not to get this car/and or its jinxed :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Who are you insured with? Had a similar situation and said that because the car was delayed I needed one to use in the meantime. I put the blame on the garage to the insured and acted all pissed off and it worked. That was with FBD.

Who are you insured with? Had a similar situation and said that because the car was delayed I needed one to use in the meantime. I put the blame on the garage to the insured and acted all pissed off and it worked. That was with FBD.

was insured with Chill... they can't help out. my wife could drive the loan car "if" the garage accept 3rd party cover only.. which is unlikely!

she thinks we can manage for the 6 weeks but already we are hitting snags with scan dates etc

found a 132 reg GTI in Cork for 28k. not as spec'd out but ready to rock and roll. upfront payment and monthly payment the same as new GTD but would be mine after 3 years.. no lump sum payment at the end. very tempted. it's a very nice car - already suffered the lion's share of depreciation too

I'm gutted - what a saga!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Can you not just give them a reg of a car the dealer has and when your car arrives change your mind and buy it? Alternatively buy the gti!

Did you test both the gti and d?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Can you not just give them a reg of a car the dealer has and when your car arrives change your mind and buy it? Alternatively buy the gti!

Did you test both the gti and d?

have to own the car or its a no go I'm afraid.

test drove the GTD in Feb - haven't driven the GTI but I know it's similar but quicker (albeit less mpg)

• Advertisement

have to own the car or its a no go I'm afraid.

test drove the GTD in Feb - haven't driven the GTI but I know it's similar but quicker (albeit less mpg)

They are a fair bit different to be honest. MPG was/is a big factor for you. Do you do big mileage?
    There's a few 132/141/2 GTD's on carzone too. A well spec'd one 132 here which i think has been up a long while.... The price seems very strong too for a 132 so maybe the ad is out of date:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GTD/153514279939497750/advert?channel=CARS

I'd still say find a way to make it work to stick to the car you've ordered.

They are a fair bit different to be honest. MPG was/is a big factor for you. Do you do big mileage?
    There's a few 132/141/2 GTD's on carzone too. A well spec'd one 132 here which i think has been up a long while.... The price seems very strong too for a 132 so maybe the ad is out of date:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GTD/153514279939497750/advert?channel=CARS

I'd still say find a way to make it work to stick to the car you've ordered.

cheers - trying very hard to make it work but i've literally no way to drive any car it would seem and can't commute to work :/

rang them about that one - aren't budging on price and the interest rate on a second hand car loan is far worse than the PCP rate!

my commute to work is 40km return per day

cheers - trying very hard to make it work but i've literally no way to drive any car it would seem and can't commute to work :/

rang them about that one - aren't budging on price and the interest rate on a second hand car loan is far worse than the PCP rate!

I think that car is over priced. Even though it's well spec'd it's still missing things that the new cars have as standard, such as climate control. Then as you say the pcp rates are worse.
    40km per day is ok. Thats still smallish mileage - well within acceptable for a GTI IMO.

I get 570-600kms to a tank in the GTI. With longer commutes and a lighter foot I'm sure I'd regularly tip 600 to a tank. The GTD would probably average 750-800 to a tank.

I think that car is over priced. Even though it's well spec'd it's still missing things that the new cars have as standard, such as climate control. Then as you say the pcp rates are worse.
    40km per day is ok. Thats still smallish mileage - well within acceptable for a GTI IMO.

I agree mate. tentatively offered 30k for the GTD but was rejected out of hand. Salesman talked nonsense too which put me right off - a young lad who tried to advise me to keep my savings, and take advantage of their loan rates. when I asked what interest rate they charged, he "didn't know" but when he rang me back with the payments I worked it out... no wonder he didn't want to say.

the GTI is a clean car - and at 28k competitive IMHO. very tempting as it would put an end to this saga.

probably will get it sorted somehow but tbh it's taking a hell of a lot of good out if it.

I blame this tread for my actions at the weekend :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ordered a GTi, Carbon Steel Grey, DSG, Pano roof, DCC, and Media Pro on Saturday morning. :D

€2K over the Golf-R base price, but with the increased Tax and fuel in the R, and probably needing to add the extras above anyway, I wouldn't be seeing much change from €50K. Anyway got a good deal on my existing 132D Gti, so not massive money to get that new car smell again. :D

I needed a drive in a 141 Gti with a DSG box to convince me to go with the DSG option rather than the Performance version.

Looking at a delivery in 2nd week in July...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

very nice Drak - any chance you could let me know how much they gave you on the trade-in ? I'm thinking Golf R in 15 months or so :D

Just a word of caution on any other prospective customers out there for GTI's or otherwise.

When I went through the agreed car extras with the dealer, and had agreed my trade-in value, I asked to see the full breakdown, just to ensure that I have the exact spec of the car that I wanted...

I noticed there was 2 extras I hadn't asked for on the "New vehicle offer sheet" (which was marked "for internal dealer use only":-

• Asset protection @ €399, which is a type of RTI (Return to invoice price)

• Supagard @ €349 which is a internal seat cleaning process, (like scotch guard).

So the dealer basically had added €748 of extras, and if I didn't ask to re-confirm the extras, could have slipped past... I had a small melt down in the dealers office, where he promptly drew a line through both unwanted and un-requested extras...

Left a slightly bitter after taste... Buyer beware !!!

That is odd! That supaguard / lifeshine thing they try and flog is a waste of time IMO. Avoid it.

Actually, did your dealer mention the upcoming price increase? From build week 22, all Golf's are getting a bit of a price hike - less than 1% I think, but that still equates to €300 or thereabouts! BW22 also sees some little spec improvements. You've spec'd the Pro Nav so you won't see much difference I'd say but the standard Nav is getting a bigger screen, better resolution, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Ordered a GTi, Carbon Steel Grey, DSG, Pano roof, DCC, and Media Pro on Saturday morning. :D

€2K over the Golf-R base price, but with the increased Tax and fuel in the R, and probably needing to add the extras above anyway, I wouldn't be seeing much change from €50K. Anyway got a good deal on my existing 132D Gti, so not massive money to get that new car smell again. :D

I needed a drive in a 141 Gti with a DSG box to convince me to go with the DSG option rather than the Performance version.

Very nicely done MisterDrak. You only live once so you may as well spec it up as you like!

Did you go for standard GTI or Performance Pack?

By the way, if you are going that far with the spec, have you considered keyless/alarm?

It's definitely something i'd recommend (I had it on my i40) so I had to have it when I ordered my GTI.

Edit: I see that you went for DSG instead of Performance pack. :)

If your commute is only 40km per day, that is definitely GTI territory in terms of running costs.

I'm doing 100km per day in my commute and am very happy with my fuel consumption.

I'm regularly seeing 40+ mpg and am not seeing the fuel light come on until i've done 620ish km on my GTI.

Of course pushing on a bit will change the figures dramatically, doing the same in the GTD will not have as much of a pronounced effect.

• Advertisement

Very nicely done MisterDrak. You only live once so you may as well spec it up as you like!

Did you go for standard GTI or Performance Pack?

By the way, if you are going that far with the spec, have you considered keyless/alarm?

It's definitely something i'd recommend (I had it on my i40) so I had to have it when I ordered my GTI

Cheers - I was just about to post asking if anyone got this as I ordered it for the GTD! Good to know its a worthwhile addition!!

Heard back from the garage in my case/saga. They will accept 3rd party insurance, so my other half gets their 131 comfortline golf while I have the Qashqai for the next 6 weeks!

Now the long wait continues :)

Result!

Driving the Qashqai will just give you more of an appreciation of the GTD when you do get it!!

The keyless option is really a great addition and VW's version of it works really well.

Simply touch the front of the door handle to lock and touch the inside to open!

Foot on clutch and start button press, away you go....It really adds a premium feel to accessing and starting/stopping the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Misterdrak re the asset protection .

is this the insurance that if the car is stolen / wrote off they will replace with new rather than the book value.?

i Was sold this at time of purchase but have received no documentation from Dealer/volkswagen or broker .

i rang Volkswagen to enquire and they no nothing about it so then rang the dealer and they said they would get it sorted ( a farmed out insurance policy i take it) but still have heard nothing.

What You guys think?

Result!

Driving the Qashqai will just give you more of an appreciation of the GTD when you do get it!!

The keyless option is really a great addition and VW's version of it works really well.

Simply touch the front of the door handle to lock and touch the inside to open!

Foot on clutch and start button press, away you go....It really adds a premium feel to accessing and starting/stopping the car.

Cheers for that.

I ordered the Red GTD, the tech pack as part of the order, so the extras were the 19" alloys, leather interior, keyless and alarm, sport and sound pack (mainly for the red calipers but I've heard the extra noise and suspension option is good too) plus they are throwing in the protective coat thingy option (at 299e cost) for free because of the delay :)

It will look class with the 19"s and S&S pack.

A word of warning when collecting though. Go over everything with a fine-tooth comb on collection day.

I had some issues with some (minor) marks on two of my alloys that both VW and now my dealer are not going to cover which is a bit of a pain.

The problem was that I didn't check over the car as thoroughly as I should have and only pointed out the marks a week later (when washing the car for the first time).

This gave them a reason to say that it could have happened since I bought the car.

blingrhino wrote: »

is this the insurance that if the car is stolen / wrote off they will replace with new rather than the book value.?

i Was sold this at time of purchase but have received no documentation from Dealer/volkswagen or broker .

i rang Volkswagen to enquire and they no nothing about it so then rang the dealer and they said they would get it sorted ( a farmed out insurance policy i take it) but still have heard nothing.

What You guys think?

I was never offered the asset protection but i assume it is the equivalent of gap insurance in the UK.

It will look class with the 19"s and S&S pack.

A word of warning when collecting though. Go over everything with a fine-tooth comb on collection day.

I had some issues with some (minor) marks on two of my alloys that both VW and now my dealer are not going to cover which is a bit of a pain.

The problem was that I didn't check over the car as thoroughly as I should have and only pointed out the marks a week later (when washing the car for the first time).

This gave them a reason to say that it could have happened since I bought the car.

Appreciate that - thank you :)

Thanks to all for advice throughout - fecking more like a counselling session at times :D:D

Mister Drak
    I would agree re keyless with foreign sports. It's a great feature that makes the car a more premium feel and it's the same cost as the extras the dealer tried to slip in. You use it all the time and really is one thing I am delighted I got.
    What attracted you to the dsg this time?
    Is it a nicer drive than the manual or just fancy a change?

blingrhino wrote: »

What You guys think?

RTI basically covers the difference between the insurance company pay-out and the original invoice price of the car.

As I mentioned, I kind of lost it in the dealers on Saturday. They backup up pretty sharpish, and removed both items...

• Advertisement

Anymore updates on orders/deliveries?

I was told mine will go into production week beginning May 11, with delivery expected 3 weeks later (1st week in June)...

Anyone got their order recently?

How did the R stack up?

Anyone get a GTD and have a bit of time to get a good impression? (anyone with the Sport and Sound pack let me know what they think :) )

Anymore updates on orders/deliveries?

I was told mine will go into production week beginning May 11, with delivery expected 3 weeks later (1st week in June)...

Anyone got their order recently?

How did the R stack up?

Anyone get a GTD and have a bit of time to get a good impression? (anyone with the Sport and Sound pack let me know what they think :) )

Last I heard, mine is scheduled for week 22 and should land into Ireland by 3rd week in June then. Fingers crossed.

Not specifically order related, but I got caught last night by MrsDrak...

I had kept the new purchase quiet, (Im expecting delivery early July and told nobody). She mentioned that I must be thinking about changing the car, as I have my current one almost 2 years at this stage, at which point I couldn't contain a nervous laugh, and a few fidgets...

Anyway she got wise pretty quick to the new purchase. I had to "spoof" about the very small cost to change, to keep her quiet.:o:o

Not specifically order related, but I got caught last night by MrsDrak...

I had kept the new purchase quiet, (Im expecting delivery early July and told nobody). She mentioned that I must be thinking about changing the car, as I have my current one almost 2 years at this stage, at which point I couldn't contain a nervous laugh, and a few fidgets...

Anyway she got wise pretty quick to the new purchase. I had to "spoof" about the very small cost to change, to keep her quiet.:o:o

LOL :D And I thought I was bad when I didn't consult her on colour choice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You guys must have offshore bank accounts that your other halves must not know about, to keep that quiet. :D

Anybody tempted by the new gte?
    Any orders going to be changed?
    It sounds like an interesting car and well equipped too.
    I wonder what it really will return in fuel economy in the real world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a Golf R400 is going to make production:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/work-under-way-395bhp-vw-golf-r400

carsfan wrote: »
    Anybody tempted by the new gte?
    Any orders going to be changed?
    It sounds like an interesting car and well equipped too.
    I wonder what it really will return in fuel economy in the real world?

Looks an interesting and cool car but I'm not sure if the battery technology is up to it. My phone already gives me a pain in my arse with its crap battery life... I don't need my car giving me the same irritation!

I think it's worth looking at for those who are very into their mpg figures, especially if you live in an urban area. Not so good if you have a 50 mile commute. The diesel still wins then IMO.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You guys must have offshore bank accounts that your other halves must not know about, to keep that quiet. :D

Yep.

bazz26 wrote: »

This kind of looses the Golf ideal for me, in GTi and R form anyway, which is a car that you can behave like a hooligan all day, then later drive up to a 5* hotel and its not out of place...

Don't get me wrong, if I was offered it I would gladly accept, but not as my only car...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's a mighty spec and a fine car in a great colour too. Congratulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Thought there was a dedicated thread for the Mk 7 Golf R but can't seem to find it.
    I saw my first one of those in carrickmines at the weekend. It looked pretty understated, though the wheels were a tad too large for it. I guess it is accentuated by the slender spoke design.

Will be sure to see a few more of them around anyway.

read a few threads on other sites complaining about lack of performance on the GTD, relative to say, a Schiroco or suchlike that has 170bhp.

Anyone any feedback on their GTDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

read a few threads on other sites complaining about lack of performance on the GTD, relative to say, a Schiroco or suchlike that has 170bhp.

If its any help I had a CR170 VRS and now have a Leon FR184 - I think the newer engines smoother power delivery coupled with the newer platform being more refined hide some of the sense of speed. Just like it was going from the older PD engines to the CR ones everyone thought they lacked punch but had the same or better figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We have the 170hp in the current Superb; granted it's a much bigger car, but even with DSG there's a bit a lag in terms of power delivery.

I'd agree with MuppetCheck. A lot of it is down to general refinement, the more linear power delivery and the extra noise insulation which is in a different league in the MK7 platform compared to its predecessors.

Well finally the hour is drawing near. The transporter is due too land on Monday the 26th May in Dublin. Haven't driven the loan Golf so hopefully it will be a very pleasant change from driving the Qashqai!
    Anyone know how long of a wait I am in for after that before pickup??

Well finally the hour is drawing near. The transporter is due too land on Monday the 26th May in Dublin. Haven't driven the loan Golf so hopefully it will be a very pleasant change from driving the Qashqai!
    Anyone know how long of a wait I am in for after that before pickup??

Good stuff.
    Couple of days at most but it depends on the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

VW GTD 5 door list 38670
    A3 Sportback 184 s-line list 38580

Ok, you'd have to pay more for met paint on the A3, and you'd have to spec in a few packages, say maybe 3k (half gestimate looking at the huge A3 options list to match the current GTD spec),

(But you'd expect to pay more for an Audi anyway, and here on this comparison, it's only say 10% more)

So if someone's already considering a GTD, why not look at the A3 for very similar money?

Don't think anyone's mentioned this so far in this thread (which started out about the GTD!)

When I started the thread I was really looking to justify the gti in my own mind after a succession of diesel cars.
    I really did not want a gtd and think if I decided against the gti I would not have gone for a gtd at all.
    The a3 at that money would be a real competitor for the gtd however.
    I wonder if you spec them identically and take into account the probable higher discount on the Volkswagen what would the differential be? Would you get that difference back in a few years when you go to sell?
    You could also say that a seat Leon FR 184 is also the same car with a cheaper interior but a cheaper list price and would that be a better buy? Or what about the Octavia vrs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

carsfan wrote: »
    When I started the thread I was really looking to justify the gti in my own mind after a succession of diesel cars.
    I really did not want a gtd and think if I decided against the gti I would not have gone for a gtd at all.
    The a3 at that money would be a real competitor for the gtd however.
    I wonder if you spec them identically and take into account the probable higher discount on the Volkswagen what would the differential be? Would you get that difference back in a few years when you go to sell?
    You could also say that a seat Leon FR 184 is also the same car with a cheaper interior but a cheaper list price and would that be a better buy? Or what about the Octavia vrs?

I'll make life easier. I was looking at the GTD, vRS and the FR. In the end I got an FR with leather/alcantara seats much cheaper than a GTD spec'ed to the same level.

Yes some of the plastics are a little hard in the bottom of the dash and door pockets but that doesn't bother me. The dash may be a little "plain" but I hate a button heavy dashboard (Ford Focus for example). The FR is quite sombre on the outaide and most people dont recognise it as an FR. After a year of driving, would I have spent the extra couple of grand on the GTD, no.

Edit, the vRS was dismissed as it was too brash, with the red trim, painted calipers, etc. Its also a fraction too big for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement