Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in citywest which is safe area

Options
  • 17-11-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am very new to dublin. Can someone throw light on which area is safer near and around citywest?

is Belfry better? Again is belfry has several areas like belfry road, belfry walk, belfry crecent?

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
    MMV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

mmv_dublin wrote: »
    Hi,

I am very new to dublin. Can someone throw light on which area is safer near and around citywest?

is Belfry better? Again is belfry has several areas like belfry road, belfry walk, belfry crecent?

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
    MMV

Citywest is fine. The road to jobstown isnt as fine.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Moved from Dublin City to Dublin County South

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

This thread might be irrelevant by now, but feel this is related.
    My work colleague lives at Belfry Drive.
    Last Saturday afternoon at 2pm his door was forced in when his wife answered it. She was held with screwdriver on front of his 3 children (all under 10) and they were robbed of jewelry and money (story was in herald). This was extremely traumatic obviously. They didn't return for 4 nights. The 2 guys were not caught. 3 Garda interviews/statements took place at the residence.
    Now... They just got raided again upon their return. Very similar cicumstances. Aggravated burglary. I don't think this area is "safe" based on this story, and another I heard from a different colleague (we work in citywest business campus) who was attacked randomly by a gang of youths late one night while walking from the luas.
    This may not be indicative of the whole area, but its my tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^aggressive crime and burglary stories are reported frequently all over the City and Country. Such an incident is not particular to Citywest. Exactly the same thing has happened to many people in wealthy suburbs when they have their car keys taken to remove their high value vehicles.

Theres no such thing as a "safe" place, some are inherently more peaceful than others, but a home is only as safe as you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Larbre34 wrote: »
    some are inherently more peaceful than others

yeah I'd agree. However, I certainly don't think violent crime is equally likely to occur in any area of the city or country. There are recognised crime 'hotspots' as backed up by facts and figures where you are much more likely to suffer a crime like this. I appreciate your sentiment though. No place is 100% safe. I wasn't singling out citywest as the only place this happens. The OP asked about Citywest (and specifically Belfry) so I talked specifically about three incidents I am aware of in that area. That's all Larbre. I'm certain similar crimes have happened in other places too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 blurch

I live in the Belfry have done so for ten years, I have not had an ounce of trouble and whilst I am aware of the incident that 100gsoma mentioned.
    That was the only one of its type I have heard of in ten years.
    Close to the Jobstown entrance there have been a couple of cars broken into. In nearly all cases the owners have left stuff in the cars.
    I walk my dogs all around the area and I have never once had an aggressive approach in fact most will stop and chat about the dogs.

The Belfry is a nice spot op, I would not write it off. Where I live in the Belfry we have great neighbours who are always on the look out for you.

Advertisement