Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m42 lense on canon 1000d

• 17-11-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

im relatively new to photography,
    i have been using my canon 1000d for the last year or so.
    i got it with kit lens and 75-300 lens.
    im looking out for new lens's and have come across some m42 lens with
    adapters to use on my 1000d.
    are they good value for money? and is there any problems using them with adapter?

sorry if its been covered before but i couldnt find anything in the search

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

M42 lenses will work fine with an M42 adapter.

But some points to remember.

The lens will be manual focus only.
    Aperture control will also be manual and in most cases when you stop down to compose a photo the iris will also stop down making the viewfinder darker. This is so the camera can get an accurate exposure as the lens can't communicate what aperture setting it is using to the camera.
    You're camera has a crop factor of 1.6. So a 50mm lens will actually behave like an 80mm lens etc.

I use old manual lenses a lot and love them. Everyone is different though.
    Whether they are good value for money completely depends on the price they are being sold for along with if you are comfortable with the above points I mentioned above.

If you are not comfortable with an all manual lens then regardless what it costs it won't be worth it for you.
    If you like the idea of a manual lens and if the price seems reasonable then I'd say go for it and try it out.
    A little searching online for whatever lens you are interested in normally yields average selling prices and overall quality of the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

Whammy! wrote: »
    M42 lenses will work fine with an M42 adapter.

But some points to remember.

The lens will be manual focus only.
    Aperture control will also be manual and in most cases when you stop down to compose a photo the iris will also stop down making the viewfinder darker. This is so the camera can get an accurate exposure as the lens can't communicate what aperture setting it is using to the camera.
    You're camera has a crop factor of 1.6. So a 50mm lens will actually behave like an 80mm lens etc.

I use old manual lenses a lot and love them. Everyone is different though.
    Whether they are good value for money completely depends on the price they are being sold for along with if you are comfortable with the above points I mentioned above.

If you are not comfortable with an all manual lens then regardless what it costs it won't be worth it for you.
    If you like the idea of a manual lens and if the price seems reasonable then I'd say go for it and try it out.
    A little searching online for whatever lens you are interested in normally yields average selling prices and overall quality of the lens.

thanks for the great info,
    would i be right in thinking that a 400mm lens would behave like a 640mm lens....?

Advertisement