Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Part of Ireland Has the Most Horrid People

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    As a Corkman I was going to instinctually post Dublin - but that would have been more reactionary than fair. I once stayed with some people in Cabra and everyone I met was very nice. So there are pockets of human decency in Dublin.

Thinking about it long and hard for me it is Donegal. Particularly once north of Ballyshannon. Everyone seems to be a cross between Eric Cartman, the Banjo Player from Deliverance coupled with the most obnoxious control freak you ever met.

They are also incredibly insular and will accept no wrongdoing of any kind takes place in their county. It is always someone else fault. If you want to murder someone in Donegal, the Guards won't investigate you unless you are from another county.

I think being reared on RTE 1 and RTE 2 has left you with a bit of a hump OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I posted a topic close to this a couple of months ago and it was closed down within a couple of posts. It was asking who were the stupidiest county in ireland.

I would actually like to see average leaving cert results broken down by county over 20 years and see what county were the least intelligent on that, albeit flawed, basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I would actually like to see average leaving cert results broken down by county over 20 years and see what county were the least intelligent on that, albeit flawed, basis.

Certainly flawed. Leaving Cert results don't have much to do with intelligence; they're largely a memory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

I'd say every county has its fair share of ****. Surprised to see Donegal coming up so much tho. Not too surprised at Cork & Dublin I might add :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Certainly flawed. Leaving Cert results don't have much to do with intelligence; they're largely a memory test.

Is there a better measure considering there is no requirement for mandatory Mensa IQ tests?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Is there a better measure considering there is no requirement for mandatory Mensa IQ tests?

Good question. Mensa tests are also largely tests of memory, with the addition of social class. (And I speak as a registered member of Densa here.)

I suppose you might look at the numbers graduating from various forms of third level; at entrepreneurship; at people who get their feet under the table of a nice secure public service job with increments, pensions and packages; at numbers of patents registered; at success in things like Young Scientist; at number, types and level of writers produced…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The answer is, quite obviously, Dublin. It has the highest population compared against anywhere else in the country, about 5 times the population of Cork, so say that 10% of Dubliners were horrible, then in order for Cork to match that, 50% of Cork people would have to be horrible. Which seems unlikely, so therefore the answer must be Dublin.

If you took the Houses of the Oireachtas and some of the civil service departments out of Dublin, would this sway the figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If people who are p.issed that Dublin is the Capital (even though Dublin people couldn't care less) were not allowed to vote, would that change things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Personal experience it be Castlebar and Athlone- met alota eejits from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

wprathead wrote: »
    Personal experience it be Castlebar and Athlone- met alota eejits from there

I think I liked everyone I ever met from Athlone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is an easy question to answer...... Leinster House!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Cork because of the arrogance of allot of its denizens
    Did you hear about the cork fella with anxiety issues? He taught he was only as good as everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

DeadHand wrote: »
    I have to disagree here, I think you'll find that almost anywhere in the country. Anywhere I've ever drank anyway...

I posted my experiences, what you say may be true for you so you could say we are both right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I once worked in a job where I had to talk to people from all over the country, I talked to so many people that eventually i could almost tell what way the phone call was going to go based on the address that came up on my screen. of course there were lovely and horrible people every where but there were too distinct areas that without fail had people that were very awkward to deal with. In terms of people who just were not nice, had no manners and were out to gain whatever they could, ballincollig was by far the worst area. so, not all of cork, just the area of ballincollig

I guess it depends on the person. I have a friend from Ballincollig who I just happened to meet and get on with, and subsequently have been to.

I thought I met the rudest man on the planet in a shop in Cork but he failed to live up to my label from thereon in.

During my time in a call centre, a south Dublin woman would invariably take exception to my approach and proceed to roar down the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Cork people with their stupid lilting accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Cork extreme is just laughably arrogant but Louth, Louth is the spiritual home of the trackie, the hoodie, the pyjama all day, lager swilling, buggy pushing, boy racer git. Jesus, go north of Bettystown and its like Middle Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I dont believe that for a minute.
    I doubt there is a person in Cork who thinks a) its a really big city, b) has 600000 people or c) thinks there are only 30000 people living in Co. Donegal. Since the actual population of Co. Cork is about 500,000 with Co. Donegal about 160000 I think its safe enough to assume you may be prone to exaggeration and maybe just making stuff up.

For the record having been to Donegal a few times and knowing (just as acquaintances) a few Donegal people I quite like them. There's always one though....

I wish i was making it up, i was embarrassed for her.

I was talking about the city population....

Ha well likewise my good man:p

To be fair, most of the people from west Cork i have met have been grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Whatever bit of it those people who post in the YouTube comments come from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

columf wrote: »
    Cork because of the arrogance of allot of its denizens
    Did you hear about the cork fella with anxiety issues? He taught he was only as good as everyone else

I think you mean self-confidence issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a thinly veiled "aren't Donegal folk ar$eholes" thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

where are you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

politics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Dáil Eireann of course.

Particularly the bit SF sit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

circadian wrote: »
    The only thing that can really kill you in Donegal is the roads.

I love Donegal but I'm apprehensive of Letterkenny and that's mostly because on a night out there's sometimes a few lads that want a bit of trouble from the city folk.

I had a horrible time dealing with people from Clonmel in recent years. Nice town but I can't figure if it was some sort of nordie hate or we just didn't 'get' one another.

As others have said, it doesn't matter where someone is from. If they're a tool then they're a tool regardless of anything else.

Have you lived in a deeply rural area in Donegal? I think it is the limited gene pool....and I disagree re there not being a similarity between locals. Valentia Island folk look to be the same here in Kerry.... inbred. Genetically modified!

circadian wrote: »
    The only thing that can really kill you in Donegal is the roads.

I love Donegal but I'm apprehensive of Letterkenny and that's mostly because on a night out there's sometimes a few lads that want a bit of trouble from the city folk.

I had a horrible time dealing with people from Clonmel in recent years. Nice town but I can't figure if it was some sort of nordie hate or we just didn't 'get' one another.

As others have said, it doesn't matter where someone is from. If they're a tool then they're a tool regardless of anything else.

Last six months I was there I had my very own Gardai to call on!

With only a few exceptions, I've always found people from Norn Iron to be sour, dour and with a massive collective chip on their shoulders. They also get ultra defensive if you ever question their bleak and parochial worldview. Suggest that their much vaunted Ulster Fry isn't up to much as it doesn't have black pudding, but does have cheap soggy fried bread can also cause their unusually small mouths' to pucker up like a tomcat's arsehole.

That has filtered over the border into Donegal of course...not the fried bread,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Tyrone.

All a bunch of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Waterford is full of angry people
    Cork full of themselves for some reason that baffles the mind
    Limerick has a lot of aggressive heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have heard someone from Cork say that the economy of Ireland is dependent on Cork. If Cork left the republic and formed its own state, it would be rich, while the other 25 counties would be reduced to poverty, on the basis that Cork is a MASSIVE business region and takes in far more tax than gets spent.
    While most of them are grand, there are some absolute freaks who buy into the Cork Uber Alles thing in a big way

In my experience, a lot of Cork people's prosperity comes from not paying tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A guy I used to work with was from cork , a real nice guy but as arrogant as **** at same time , ....but then........I met another cork man' he was cool .

I need to go out today and see if I can find another to give some clarity on this . Ay e I'll Suss out a female and check her out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you want to murder someone in Donegal, the Guards won't investigate you unless you are from another county.

Nope, nothing like this in the news about Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

pilatus wrote: »
    People are all different, they cannot be judged because of where they are from, unfortunately they still are judged . Every County will have their share of as$holes and every County will have their share of saints. I have found people in general are decent and it's just bad luck if you bump into someone nasty .

Also if you bump into a decent person having a bad day because of relationship problems , financial problems or whatever it may be, well you may misjudge them by your experience of meeting them on an off day , when in fact no one is perfect and we all have off days. Hardly an accurate representation .

Surely this ^^^ has to be one of the most balanced opinions ever expressed on AH.Away with you,there is no place for your sort here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Jaysus... this threads still going :pac:

I wasn't aware that so many bitter, narrow minded, spiteful people existed on boards. Also surprised that Donegal is so heavily feared by the other counties, I often wondered why people in pubs shat themselves when they learned where I was from... now I know :cool:

I was accused of been in the RA several times too, what's up with that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Jaysus... this threads still going :pac:

I wasn't aware that so many bitter, narrow minded, spiteful people existed on boards. Also surprised that Donegal is so heavily feared by the other counties, I often wondered why people in pubs shat themselves when they learned where I was from... now I know :cool:

I was accused of been in the RA several times too, what's up with that!!
    I'm English and live in Donegal more than once I was accused of being an undercover SAS man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

dinorebel wrote: »
    I'm English and live in Donegal more than once I was accused of being an undercover SAS man.
    Yeah, because no one here has ever heard an English accent ever.

Yeah, because no one here has ever heard an English accent ever.
    In Burtonport they haven't:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

dinorebel wrote: »
    In Burtonport they haven't:D

A man from Burtonport went to work in Coventry and he had to get the landlady of the digs to throw a bucket of water against his bedroom window every night so he could get to sleep.

A man from Burtonport went to work in Coventry and he had to get the landlady of the digs to throw a bucket of water against his bedroom window every night so he could get to sleep.
    I was on a bus back from a night in Gweedore and a mates cousin who had a real cockney accent but who's parents were from the port had a go at me thinking I was taking the p*ss out of his accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

niallo27 wrote: »
    The problem with cork people is that they genuinely think cork is the centre of the universe. Cork gaa fans are the worst.

Our National past time is shooting fish in a barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have you lived in a deeply rural area in Donegal? I think it is the limited gene pool....and I disagree re there not being a similarity between locals. Valentia Island folk look to be the same here in Kerry.... inbred. Genetically modified!
    Actually Donegal would have a fairly wide gene pool in comparison to most other counties due to high levels of emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frippy

how would the gene pool be widened by people leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I might be biased, but I've always found Athenry to be a real outpost of pure, belligerent thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

frippy wrote: »
    how would the gene pool be widened by people leaving?
    Because they generally come back to raise their families at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

They are also incredibly insular and will accept no wrongdoing of any kind takes place in their county. It is always someone else fault. If you want to murder someone in Donegal, the Guards won't investigate you unless you are from another county.

Really? Jaysus that's mad hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Dail Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Dail Eireann?

Some of the most decent and hard working people in Ireland work in the Dail. Ambitious, yes: lazy, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Some of the most decent and hard working people in Ireland work in the Dail. Ambitious, yes: lazy, no.

They're all horrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Dublin,horrible *****.literally think they're better than the rest of the Irish.have a bunch of about twenty of them at work and they don't mingle with the rest of us and travel home every weekend.

Advertisement