Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Part of Ireland Has the Most Horrid People

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

All Irish people are ignorant and it comes to the fore more when they leave Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

eternal wrote: »
    All Irish people are ignorant and it comes to the fore more when they leave Ireland.
    What nationality are you?

What nationality are you?
    Irish.

Ah it's a shame to be calling yourself ignorant!

Ah it's a shame to be calling yourself ignorant!

Not getting into some petty childlike argument with you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Not getting into some petty childlike argument with you now.

In fairness, it's quite a statement you came out with there. Especially considering how isolated other bigger countries can be. Relatively speaking, I wouldn't consider Irish ignorant and that comes to the fore nearly every time I leave the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Statistically speaking it should probably be Dublin due to its population, although saying that I would go with Leitrim!

mal1 wrote: »
    In fairness, it's quite a statement you came out with there. Especially considering how isolated other bigger countries can be. Relatively speaking, I wouldn't consider Irish ignorant and that comes to the fore nearly every time I leave the island.

It's my personal experience. Irish people don't talk to me. I have to leave Ireland to talk or have a date etc.

It's my personal experience. Irish people don't talk to me. I have to leave Ireland to talk or have a date etc.

If you need to talk, try directory enquiries, if they do not talk to you then I am afraid its your fault.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    If you need to talk, try directory enquiries, if they do not talk to you then I am afraid its your fault.

Very amusing. Cough.

Very amusing. Cough.

Honestly if people are not willing to talk to you they must have a reason, not everyone is the same, but you are always the same person in their eyes, so the problem is with yourself and not others, maybe if you dropped the bitterness and resentment people might see you in a better light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sup_dude wrote: »
    I've lived in deeply rural Donegal my whole life and strongly identify with it, even though I'm at college. Not entirely sure where you were but I don't agree at all.

Several places and of course if you were bred there your attitude will be different as you are one of THEM. Infected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Craggy Island.

Fnuck that Benson fella and his whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Sligo and donegal, pure ignorant and thick out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Tralee, never liked Tralee

Yeah, well we never liked you and your lawdy-daw ways either Missy!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

The next parish over. Big ignorant **** with their senior football team and tidy village award 1994, they think they're something special.

Full of shiite with put on accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The next parish over. Big ignorant **** with their senior football team and tidy village award 1994, they think they're something special.

Full of shiite with put on accents.

Do spill..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

lufties wrote: »
    Do spill..:)

Oh I couldn't. I'd be ostracised from mass, bingo and race dances by the inbred fcukers.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Graces7 wrote: »
    Several places and of course if you were bred there your attitude will be different as you are one of THEM. Infected!

Bred there but only the oldest families know who I am. We aren't exactly the most community like family in the world (as in, we don't go to mass or the local jiving lessons or wouldn't visit the neighbours very often, never been to the blessing of the graves) so any newer families or people who live outside a two mile radius (which given the area, two miles only includes a handful of houses), they wouldn't have a clue who I am. In fact, often, when I say my name to one, they're like "oh are you the ones that live in that house?" and when I say no, it's like "oh right, so when did you move here?".. um, when I was born, if you look at the 1911 census, we're one of five families in the town land and two of them don't exist anymore.

And yet, despite that, I've never been treated with disrespect or obnoxiousness. I know one or two arseholes but no more than I've met anywhere else. I really don't know where Donegal is getting its bad press in terms of people. I haven't given a county because I haven't met enough people from every county to make a judgement, but I do know you get horrid people no matter where you go.

Bred there but only the oldest families know who I am. We aren't exactly the most community like family in the world (as in, we don't go to mass or the local jiving lessons or wouldn't visit the neighbours very often, never been to the blessing of the graves) so any newer families or people who live outside a two mile radius (which given the area, two miles only includes a handful of houses), they wouldn't have a clue who I am. In fact, often, when I say my name to one, they're like "oh are you the ones that live in that house?" and when I say no, it's like "oh right, so when did you move here?".. um, when I was born, if you look at the 1911 census, we're one of five families in the town land and two of them don't exist anymore.

And yet, despite that, I've never been treated with disrespect or obnoxiousness. I know one or two arseholes but no more than I've met anywhere else. I really don't know where Donegal is getting its bad press in terms of people. I haven't given a county because I haven't met enough people from every county to make a judgement, but I do know you get horrid people no matter where you go.

I hear you and certainly here in Kerry there are some ****** BUT the overall air of greater openness and friendliness. people will chat in shops etc

And in your situation you were in many ways set apart. And long established. I had to deal with landlords at the bottom of the housing ladder as an incomer. Very different situations. I related the snow story on the weather board, bow as an old disabled person everyone literally refused to deliver or bring fuel when I was cut off in the snow. I have now several I could call on who have said they would and who I trust. The landlords in Donegal defy description. Not just one...each and all of them.

I was in Donegal nearly ten years and left fighting an illegal eviction. And was getting threats etc from a neighbour. The Gardai were wonderful and I had my own to call on..they had heard him threaten me on the phone

There was just no real kindness etc and I had never asked for help before that winter . Rescued also by a man from boards ie

I left there in the early hours one morning and held my breath until I was well away, cats and dogs in the car with me. Makes me shudder to remember.,

Have lived in Leitrim, Mayo Cork and here and never been treated as I was in Donegal.

Difference between your situation and others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Yep, a lot of people don't realise the size of Donegal. Can take hours to get from one side to the other, road surface doesn't help though.

Hail from Inishowen myself

Straight and flat. two qualities Donegal roads don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Only one place that can be and that's Cavan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sligo and donegal, pure ignorant and thick out

Any place that puts the word 'out' after an adjective.

Possibly Roscommon folk.

I hear you and certainly here in Kerry there are some ****** BUT the overall air of greater openness and friendliness. people will chat in shops etc

And in your situation you were in many ways set apart. And long established. I had to deal with landlords at the bottom of the housing ladder as an incomer. Very different situations. I related the snow story on the weather board, bow as an old disabled person everyone literally refused to deliver or bring fuel when I was cut off in the snow. I have now several I could call on who have said they would and who I trust. The landlords in Donegal defy description. Not just one...each and all of them.

I was in Donegal nearly ten years and left fighting an illegal eviction. And was getting threats etc from a neighbour. The Gardai were wonderful and I had my own to call on..they had heard him threaten me on the phone

There was just no real kindness etc and I had never asked for help before that winter . Rescued also by a man from boards ie

I left there in the early hours one morning and held my breath until I was well away, cats and dogs in the car with me. Makes me shudder to remember.,

Have lived in Leitrim, Mayo Cork and here and never been treated as I was in Donegal.

Difference between your situation and others!

I think you were just very unlucky. In the snow, everyone with 4x4s or very light cars went around the houses on a daily basis to do shop runs/lifts etc. They went to every house within what we call the bowl (basically, there's severely steep hills in every way out of our townland) because nobody else could get out. Our fuel man even chanced the journey a few times, delivering to people who he didn't usually deliver too, just in case they couldn't get out.
    Never heard an excessive amount of complaints about landlords either, and I wasn't just talking to Donegal people. I think you just got a bad run of it.

Xenji wrote: »
    Honestly if people are not willing to talk to you they must have a reason, not everyone is the same, but you are always the same person in their eyes
    Absolutely. This thing of "Such and such a group are all horrible to me", in this case Irish people. But most Irish people talk to people and get along with others just fine, so if one person finds it keeps happening to them, maybe it's downright bad luck, but they'd do well to consider that it's probably... them.
    Wow, some rather ironic things being said on this thread by people who are expressing their disgust at nastiness!

Absolutely. This thing of "Such and such a group are all horrible to me", in this case Irish people. But most Irish people talk to people and get along with others just fine, so if one person finds it keeps happening to them, maybe it's downright bad luck, but they'd do well to consider that it's probably... them.

Wow, some rather ironic things being said on this thread by people who are expressing their disgust at nastiness!
    You don't know my situation therefore you can't comment knowingly.

I think you were just very unlucky. In the snow, everyone with 4x4s or very light cars went around the houses on a daily basis to do shop runs/lifts etc. They went to every house within what we call the bowl (basically, there's severely steep hills in every way out of our townland) because nobody else could get out. Our fuel man even chanced the journey a few times, delivering to people who he didn't usually deliver too, just in case they couldn't get out.
    Never heard an excessive amount of complaints about landlords either, and I wasn't just talking to Donegal people. I think you just got a bad run of it.

Nah! Nine years? And many here advocate my experience. Again our situation are so different that you cannot assess.. there was no sense of community... sad people,, your family was established, part of the community.

mean spirited lot! ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Killeigh (sp?) outside of Templemore, up in the hills. I'd be very suspicious of their breeding habits.

Nah! Nine years? And many here advocate my experience. Again our situation are so different that you cannot assess.. there was no sense of community... sad people,, your family was established, part of the community.

mean spirited lot! ugh!

That's what I was saying, my family isn't an established part of the community. Majority of the community don't know who we are.

I'm just saying that your experience doesn't mean it's across the board in Donegal and I'm not sure if everyone was in the exact same spot as you, or only taking their own experience in one area and applying it across one of the biggest counties in the country... I've never experienced horridness bar one or two isolated people, and I haven't stayed in the one part of Donegal my whole life.

That's what I was saying, my family isn't an established part of the community. Majority of the community don't know who we are.

I'm just saying that your experience doesn't mean it's across the board in Donegal and I'm not sure if everyone was in the exact same spot as you, or only taking their own experience in one area and applying it across one of the biggest counties in the country... I've never experienced horridness bar one or two isolated people, and I haven't stayed in the one part of Donegal my whole life.

You are not seeing that you are an established family in the true Irish sense.. my travels in DOnegal were wide and I found the same type everywhere. One or two friends but for the rest! So if you want to believe a you do fine but I would not go to Donegal again EVER o please I am stopping this as the memories are piling in and freaking me out.. shudders! I was lucky to get away and and safe.. OVER AND OUT! FROM kERRY!.

• Advertisement

You are not seeing that you are an established family in the true Irish sense.. my travels in DOnegal were wide and I found the same type everywhere. One or two friends but for the rest! So if you want to believe a you do fine but I would not go to Donegal again EVER o please I am stopping this as the memories are piling in and freaking me out.. shudders! I was lucky to get away and and safe.. OVER AND OUT! FROM kERRY!.

Except I'm being serious when I'm saying that an established family isn't exactly established when you go into the community hall and people ask who you are.
    Like I said, you had a bad luck, especially if it was traumatic enough that you have a freak out at the thought of it. I don't think anywhere in Ireland is that bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

If memory serves me right you had complete strangers from the Donegal forum on here come to help you out not that long ago.

Spent a good few hours out there cutting and storing trees for you....

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055887522/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Kerry can keep you.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I live in Bray & it's not that the people their are horrid it's just gang culture in recent years has become rampant. A few weeks ago a dealer was shot with a pump action shot gun in both kneecaps in a BPLO style punishment attack, then a few weeks later the same person who was shot was then stabbed with a knife in the back in a gangster rap style angry stabbing.
    If you enter you do so at your own risk. If you do I suggest you read Sun Tzu's The Art Of War & bring some weapons with you, nothing too big just like a AR-18 with a few clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mean spirited lot! ugh!
    You have a short and dillusional memory of some of your time in Donegal swetheart.

Your posts here just remind me of the many mistakes I made in my life not least when I and others give you assistance when you sought it.

Thankfully I wont have any more dealings with you or your kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

muffler wrote: »
    You have a short and dillusional memory of some of your time in Donegal swetheart.

Your posts here just remind me of the many mistakes I made in my life not least when I and others give you assistance when you sought it.

Clamped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

was in new zealand with a good few people from cork
    whenever the rest of us were asked where we were from , we replied ireland
    the corkonians replied , you guessed it , cork

They've probably never been asked that before and didn't know how to answer.

How many Irish people actually have to ask a cork person where they're from?

Ok so not all Irish people, I actually think some in Donegal are very friendly. Don't know why all the hate towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

muffler wrote: »

I am disgusted for yourself and the others who helped her, unfortunately it is her type that discourage people from helping others when you see all the thanks you get! I remember reading about you all helping her and it warmed my heart aswell as others who read it I'm sure.

This thread has showed me a lot about "horrid" people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

My house. :(
    Especially when I'm in. :mad: yis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

There's an enclave in Leitrim where they all drink Punjana Tea.

Those people are not the same as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Totally agree with Darky Hughes, I am from Bray myself and it's gotten very bad in recent years. You'd want to wear full SAS gear to
    go near that town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

IP freely wrote: »
    If memory serves me right you had complete strangers from the Donegal forum on here come to help you out not that long ago.

Spent a good few hours out there cutting and storing trees for you....

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055887522/3

Good find...

So this is the kind of people we're dealing with! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Carrantouhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Carrantouhill

People will get very cross at you for saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ballydung Manor, stay well away from that place if you know what's good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

Rugged Island...

God I really hate Father Dick Byrne!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

NiallBoo wrote: »
    They've probably never been asked that before and didn't know how to answer.

How many Irish people actually have to ask a cork person where they're from?

Its the same scenario for dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

Kivaro wrote: »
    People will get very cross at you for saying that.

Sorry to cut a cross you here, but has anybody seen my angle grinder around at all....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Totally agree with Darky Hughes, I am from Bray myself and it's gotten very bad in recent years. You'd want to wear full SAS gear to
    go near that town.

Around the early 00's in Fassaroe which is like the biggest ghetto area of Bray shootings became a regular occurrence, people didn't pay a huge amount of attention after about the 20th shooting incident but now it's spread to other areas of Bray like the South side which include places like Oldcourt (White City), Deerpark & Ballywalltrim & there's been numerous shooting incidents up there as well in recent years, just a week & a half ago someone was shot in Deerpark ( I forget if he survived or not).
    And pipe bombs have also been used in recent years. The gangs here rule with a Stalinist fist. Drugs are rampant as well, Heroin, Methadone, Coke, Hash & Weed, E & in the last few years Benzo's just seem to be all over the places, everytime I walk down the road I see empty packs of Xanax, Valium, Dalmane, Stilnoct & Zimovane (I know what they look like because I've been prescribed all of them before) lying all over the place.

I'd say about 20-25 people have been killed in gang wars since 2000. Which means Bray gangs have killed more people than dissident IRA groups in the same amount of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement