Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New courts complex Mulgrave Street

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

if its built all courts will move there in my opinion, the want the area around city hall free from any "element" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Beware creating public plazas that are not also natural thoroughfares. Have we learned nothing from Arthur's Quay "park".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I will be sad to see the parade ground go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

boomerang wrote: »
    I will be sad to see the parade ground go.

I don't think there's much left of the original buildings other than the gate houses, which are being incorporated into that design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They make no sense without the context of an enclosed grounds, tho. It's been a while since I've been in there so you could be right.

As the entrance archways were build to withstand an artillery explosion I wonder did it just make better sense to preserve them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Credit to those parade ground fellas. Limerick would have been overrun with injuns only for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 kaislinn

gryff wrote: »
    you know that looks like it was designed using minecraft - which if true would be pretty cool. I hope if it built that they do plant those trees out front - the building needs them ! Be nice to have the block developed , its pretty grim looking at the moment.

gryff, where did you come across that map? Any idea how old it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

BobMc wrote: »
    if its built all courts will move there in my opinion, the want the area around city hall free from any "element" :)

They could leave the civil courts in the existing courthouse by St Mary's and move criminal to the new courthouse in Mulgrave St. That's what happened with the Four Courts in Dublin: Supreme and civil courts still are based there, but the criminal stuff is now in the new complex by the Phoenix Park.

topper75 wrote: »
    Beware creating public plazas that are not also natural thoroughfares. Have we learned nothing from Arthur's Quay "park".

Where Arthur's Quay park fell down was the lack of cafe, restaurant and bars around it. A few small establishments with outdoor seating in the park would have been a great draw for shoppers and tourists...as opposed to the open air drug market that sprung up there.

An update from the Leader

Contracts should be signed next October and work will start immediately with completion in mid 2017. The criminal district court will move to the new court house while the Circuit Court in the old custom house building will be kept for civil and family law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

as opposed to the open air drug market that sprung up there.

eh? Never seen a dealer in Arthurs Quay Park, never mind an open air drugs market. Thats not to say dealers were not there...but calling it an open air drugs market is just hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

kaislinn wrote: »
    gryff, where did you come across that map? Any idea how old it is?

its a screen cap from the ordnance survey website - so not sure if it legal to do this !!.. its a great site - you can look at the original 1840s map. This map is later at a guess early 20th century..
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,558170,656778,7,9

vkid wrote: »
    eh? Never seen a dealer in Arthurs Quay Park, never mind an open air drugs market. Thats not to say dealers were not there...but calling it an open air drugs market is just hyperbole

Not so. Open dealing was very common there in the days before the CCTV cameras went in as the guards very rarely went into the park. The dealers have moved on since the cameras were erected and the railings/hedges around the park were torn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone else see the HUGE walls they're building at the moment on site? Is this to do with the courthouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

An update from the Leader

Contracts should be signed next October and work will start immediately with completion in mid 2017. The criminal district court will move to the new court house while the Circuit Court in the old custom house building will be kept for civil and family law.

The old Custom House building is currently The Hunt Museum. Presume you mean the old courthouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Anyone else see the HUGE walls they're building at the moment on site? Is this to do with the courthouse?

The wall is an enabling works project to separate the courthouse site and the site of a new prison wing to be constructed there. You can see from the site plan in the OP that the site does not run along Roxboro Road as you might expect, the prison will extend into that part of the site behind the courthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Does anyone know has this started yet?I thought I saw something about it due to start in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Will the new courts be a good or bad thing for this area of mulgrave street?

Will it bring a needed facelift to the area and additional shops & cafes ect..
    or will the area be less desirable due to the court 'clients'?

will many people work there?...... in short positive or negative for the area?

I think it'll be a positive thing for the area. It'll clean up that bit of Mulgrave Street. Having said that you will probably see a few more heads up in that area.

I don't think it'll bring new businesses but I think the likes of the Horse and Hound, O'Neill's, etc. will do well from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

I think it'll be a positive thing for the area. It'll clean up that bit of Mulgrave Street. Having said that you will probably see a few more heads up in that area.

I don't think it'll bring new businesses but I think the likes of the Horse and Hound, O'Neill's, etc. will do well from it.
    Has work started on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Will the new courts be a good or bad thing for this area of mulgrave street?

Will it bring a needed facelift to the area and additional shops & cafes ect..
    or will the area be less desirable due to the court 'clients'?

will many people work there?...... in short positive or negative for the area?
    Graveyard, Prison and Mental hospital. Street was pretty grim to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Graveyard, Prison and Mental hospital. Street was pretty grim to begin with.

The mad, the bad & the dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Work seems to have started on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

pigtown wrote: »
    Work seems to have started on site.

More work is all. They've been in there months now, just the amount of tipper trucks heading in and out makes it busier I'd say.

Berty wrote: »
    More work is all. They've been in there months now, just the amount of tipper trucks heading in and out makes it busier I'd say.

And they've knocked the sheds/walls by the bike station.

And they've knocked the sheds/walls by the bike station.

Noticed that as the bikes, aka cbs picnic benches(joke) ,are kind of surrounded by hoarding.

There were 4 portacabins stacked (2 x 2) behind the hoardings as I passed by today. I assume these are the site offices so construction can't be far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

State of the roads, are they not supposed to wash trucks etc before the leave the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I haven't seen any jobs advertised at all considering the work is or is about to begin, does anyone know who the contractor's are for the site?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    State of the roads, are they not supposed to wash trucks etc before the leave the site?

They do. There's a high pressure washer right next to the exit. But all it does it wet the mud which then streaks the roads.

The guy was spraying down the metal ramps Thursday morning and wrecking a van waiting for the lights to change. Muddy water all over the side of his van. They had words , let's just say.

Advertisement