Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmond Grand Hibernian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

The Belmond will be in Galway Station between 13:30 & 16:00 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was out with my 4 year old on our bikes just a short time ago train spotting, as you do, and I saw this blue train cross the viaduct in Balbriggan. It looks stunning and classy. I had no idea until then about the Grand Hibernian. My first thoughts were I must take a trip on that and wow was it beautiful. So I head back home to check it all out online.

Thoughts,

Gorgeous looking train

I hope it works out for the company

Someday I'd hope to take a trip on it

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

Mmmm belmond has a donegal carraige .Now irish rail will have to get there own Donegal on track .seem there is no rail there . ☺☺☺

216 just arrived into westport a few minutes ago
    With the belmond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Other luxury rail tours are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

loyatemu wrote: »
    Other luxury rail tours are available.

I wish it the best. However I suggest Jim Deegan lay off having a pop at Belmond. The Times article didn't quote him, but he did say in reference to the Grand Hibernian, "They sleep on a train, we sleep in Castles". Nice soundbite, but Railtours Ireland Vs Belmond....not a hope for Jim. Personally I thought he should have kept it polite, considering he's in the same market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I wish it the best. However I suggest Jim Deegan lay off having a pop at Belmond. The Times article didn't quote him, but he did say in reference to the Grand Hibernian, "They sleep on a train, we sleep in Castles". Nice soundbite, but Railtours Ireland Vs Belmond....not a hope for Jim. Personally I thought he should have kept it polite, considering he's in the same market.

Jim will be the last one standing - remember where you heard it first. Don't be surprised to see him picking up the Belmond rolling stock for a song when they tire of dealing with CIE. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Jim will be the last one standing - remember where you heard it first. Don't be surprised to see him picking up the Belmond rolling stock for a song when they tire of dealing with CIE. :D

I'll agree to differ with you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Or Donald Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Belmond won't be selling for a song, they'd take the bodies elsewhere and re-bogie them if it flops..

Belmond won't be selling for a song, they'd take the bodies elsewhere and re-bogie them if it flops..

That would never be allowed as they will be classified as 'heritage' vehicles. :D

The belmond is a rip off really .5420 for a 4 nite
    The heritage train 5000 for 6 nights at least you can watch
    Tv in a castle and all other mod cons you expect in a castle/5star and still travel on a train .
    On the belmond you pay more to use the service to stay and sleep on the train .
    Calculator be out .

That would never be allowed as they will be classified as 'heritage' vehicles. :D
    :D

they are probably registered in Northern Ireland to accommodate this. After all, isn't that where all heritage stock ends up on this island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

:D

they are probably registered in Northern Ireland to accommodate this. After all, isn't that where all heritage stock ends up on this island?

They are registered in Ireland indicated by the 60 in their EVN numbers. If they were Northern Ireland/UK registered they would have 70 in the EVN.

Tv in a castle and all other mod cons you expect in a castle/5star and still travel on a train .
    Calculator be out .

It's hardly a rip-off as nobody is forced to use it. Expensive perhaps. but that's the going rate for their trains and their wealthy clientele seem happy to pay.

They are registered in Ireland indicated by the 60 in their EVN numbers. If they were Northern Ireland/UK registered they would have 70 in the EVN.

anorak :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Calculator be out .

If you can afford to sleep on the Belmont you need not be worrying about it's price :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Calculator be out .

Reading this is like listening to Liveline for christ sake. Reminds me of when the politician demanded to know why Westlife tickets were so inexpensive compared to a Roger Waters show at the same venue and vowing to do something about it.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Reading this is like listening to Liveline for christ sake. Reminds me of when the politician demanded to know why Westlife tickets were so inexpensive compared to a Roger Waters show at the same venue and vowing to do something about it.

Ya gotta laugh!

Probably something to do with supporting the "locals". No harm, but the Belmond product is well established and has its clientele. Personally I will stick to what I said earlier in the thread. Jim Deegan should concentrate on his own venture and not get embroiled in having digs at the competitor.

• Advertisement

you don't go on a jaunt like this to watch TV and many people would appreciate staying in one room for the whole week rather than continually having to pack and un pack. Personally, I would find it impossible to have an opinion until I have sampled both trains.

(Won't be anytime soon )

I doubt the patrons care if one or the other is dearer. I think the Mk3s may be more comfortable than the Cravens.

you don't go on a jaunt like this to watch TV and many people would appreciate staying in one room for the whole week rather than continually having to pack and un pack. Personally, I would find it impossible to have an opinion until I have sampled both trains.

(Won't be anytime soon )

I doubt the patrons care if one or the other is dearer. I think the Mk3s may be more comfortable than the Cravens.

I'm curious about the loos on the Cravens as they used to be quite appalling - tiny, grey and plastic/formica. I don't really see that they can have been improved due to space constraints. :confused:

I'm curious about the loos on the Cravens as they used to be quite appalling - tiny, grey and plastic/formica. I don't really see that they can have been improved due to space constraints. :confused:

The havent. But the Belmond is en-suite.

I recall seeing the queue for the Ladies at Charleville during one special, which must be a reflection on the Cravens loos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They had quilted velvet on board and Lifebuoy soap which is better than what they normally use.

If you can afford to sleep on the Belmont you need not be worrying about it's price :)

Belmont must be a new luxury train competing
    With the Belmond id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening folks,

I popped over to Rosskelton this afternoon to photo the Belmond Grand Hibernian passing by.

Click http://smu.gs/2e59A08 to view all the images.

DSC_1903-S.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Business must be good as it's gone from over €7,700 to over €8,100 for 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Business must be good as it's gone from over €7,700 to over €8,100 for 2017

Standard increase of 5% for year in the luxury hotel/hospitality industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

I wonder, does anybody know what kind of speed the Belmont travels at? Does it run any slower than usual to give the passengers a more comfortable journey?

Advertisement