Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro card question

Options
  • 17-11-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

Going to o NY Thursday with my two kids, 18,15. Someone said to me to just buy a metro card and load it up, they said I'd only need the one and pass it back to one of the kids to swipe etc. is this ok to do or would they need individual cards. Also plan on getting the AirTran in Jfk to Jamaica and hop on the subway to penn station as hotel not to far from it. Any downfalls in doing this? Landing around 2pm NY time.

Any advise other advise I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Seriously, for three or four people I'd get a taxi from JFK to Manhattan, the fare is set by the Taxi and Limousine Commission at $52 plus tolls. Considering how much you've already paid for the air fares, it will make the journey to the hotel much easer for not much cash. I'm sure the teenagers are able-bodied but you will be lugging bags into and out of grimy subway stations and then walking along the sidewalk to the hotel - best avoided if you want to arrive at the hotel feeling human.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Get a taxi from the airport to the hotel. As coylemj said the cost won't be a surprise and the fun of driving through NYC in a yellow cab for your first time will be an experience in itself!

On the way back save a few bucks by taking the AirTrain as you described. No need to have a card each, just load up your Metrocard with enough money and hand the card back to the next person to swipe. The only Metrocard that you can't do this with is the unlimeted travel\one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Just thought I'd save a few bucks and get the subway to hotel first then get the taxi on way home with the full bags:D..

mad m wrote: »
    Just thought I'd save a few bucks and get the subway to hotel first then get the taxi on way home with the full bags:D..

Yeah, but the other way around make it more of a holiday IMHO and it saves any hassle involved around trying to figure out the subway after a long flight with tired people.

if you want to save money then don't bother going to Woodbury Common :)

I'd also add that your kids may not appreciate being tied to you and your Metro card! It's easy to manage the credit and the card only costs $1 on top of whatever credit you buy with a new card so I'd get one per person. You just need to make sure that if you're getting the Airtrain back to JFK on your last day that you have enough credit for one journey on the subway (to Jamaica) plus $5 for the Airtrain. Note that the 7-day unlimited travel ticket you can put in the Metrocard does not cover the Airtrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

And if you really want to make the most of your Metro card...

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/09/74078/mta-hack-nyc

Thanks, bloody forgot to mention, my eldest is flying with Aerlingus while me and the young fella are flying Delta so we will be flying into Terminal 4 while she is flying into Terminal 5......

This is why I suppose I was thinking of getting the Airtrain so we can organise meeting up. But then again I suppose I could grab a cab and pick her up at T5 from T4. if the flights are on time she will arrive a half hour before we touch down.

Ponster wrote: »
    Yeah, but the other way around make it more of a holiday IMHO and it saves any hassle involved around trying to figure out the subway after a long flight with tired people.

if you want to save money then don't bother going to Woodbury Common :)

No wouldnt bother going out to those outlets. Always think that they actually make up a different quality in those outlets compared to retail shops in the city.

Always think that they actually make up a different quality in those outlets compared to retail shops in the city.

That's true for a lot of the outlet stores. Brooks Brothers is one that has an outlet-specific clothing line, and the quality is nowhere near what they sell in their high end stores.

You can get good deals at places like Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack.

Thanks, bloody forgot to mention, my eldest is flying with Aerlingus while me and the young fella are flying Delta so we will be flying into Terminal 4 while she is flying into Terminal 5......

This is why I suppose I was thinking of getting the Airtrain so we can organise meeting up. But then again I suppose I could grab a cab and pick her up at T5 from T4. if the flights are on time she will arrive a half hour before we touch down.

The Airtran operates as a free shuttle between the terminals in JFK, that's why you only swipe your ticket when you get off at Jamaica or Howard Beach, not when you board in JFK. Tell your daughter to catch the Airtrain to T4 to meet you, then you can all travel to Manhattan together.

Within the airport, AirTrain is free.

If you use AirTrain to connect between the airline terminals, parking lots, hotel shuttles and rental car facilities, there's no fee to pay and no ticket is required.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

• Advertisement

That's true for a lot of the outlet stores. Brooks Brothers is one that has an outlet-specific clothing line, and the quality is nowhere near what they sell in their high end stores.

You can get good deals at places like Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack.

Nordstrom Rack....nice didnt think there was one in NY....

Nordstrom Rack....nice didnt think there was one in NY....

Don't know if there is :) I just thought of it because there's one a few miles away from me. My wife gets a lot of her work clothes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

it's quite a long trip by subway from jamaica to penn station..roughly 45 minutes assuming you get the e as the other ones have more stops.

when you get off the air-train at jamaica you then have to go through the issue of actually buying your metrocard at the machines and making sure you have small enough bills while a huge crowd gathers behind you. then you have to go downstairs, walk outside and up a lift to get to the metro. the subway trains themselves are not built for tourists with luggage either. once you get to penn there will be more walking.

like others said if its your first time in new york i would get the cab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I thought they had a 18 minute rule on the subway now, that you have to wait 18 mins before swiping again.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2012/05/08/to-fight-metrocard-fraud-a-swipe-delay/

So I'm not sure when multiple people were able to use one and reswipe, maybe back in the day or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as an aside, bring your passport to Macy's and they give you all sorts of discounts for being 'outta state'.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    So I'm not sure when multiple people were able to use one and reswipe, maybe back in the day or something?

I was able to do it when I lived there earlier this year and there was no delay. While the article doesn't say so, it refers only to the Unlimited MetroCard.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/easyuse.htm
    If you move to a different turnstile, you may be charged another fare with Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard or be prevented from entering the subway for 18 minutes with Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

There are two kinds of metrocards (although they are externally the same): unlimited ones where you pay a set fee for unlimited travel for a week or a month, and straight credit ones. You can only use an unlimited one every 15 mins or so, however you'll be simply getting the regular one and putting $50 of credit on it so you'll be fine with using it for a group.

And regarding the comments about the clothing in Woodbury Common and other outlets being lower quality - it definitely is. My girlfriend works in the fashion industry here and it's an open secret that the garments in these outlets are sourced from different suppliers and are far, far lower quality than what you will get at the designer's regular stores. When basic quality and style of the clothes is considered you'll get a much better deal shopping on lower Broadway or in regular department stores in the city such as Macy's. I have no idea where the fascination among Irish tourists with going to Woodbury Common has come from, nobody I know in New York ever goes there.

Ponster wrote: »
    I was able to do it when I lived there earlier this year and there was no delay. While the article doesn't say so, it refers only to the Unlimited MetroCard.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/easyuse.htm

I apologize, I thought people were alluding to using one metrocard to fare dodge, not just for ease of use.

So any recommendations for getting lunch or breakfast down off E 31st near Madison avenue? Or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

get a taxi the subway smells like piss

• Advertisement

So any recommendations for getting lunch or breakfast down off E 31st near Madison avenue? Or anywhere else.

Murry Hill diner on Lexington is pretty good. Nothing fabulous but cheap and will get you set up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tax_tutor1

spurious wrote: »
    Just as an aside, bring your passport to Macy's and they give you all sorts of discounts for being 'outta state'.

The discount works outs at 11% but may not apply to all clearance items. You just present the card when paying for goods and the assistant scans it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

That immediate vicinity not a great part of town for food. For lunch or a snack you should definitely walk down to Madison Square Park on 23rd and go to Shake Shack for one of their burgers and the amazing 'concrete' milk shakes. Also down there is an old fashioned "luncheonette" called Eiseneberg's which is well known for its Tuna Sandwiches, Matzo Ball soup and Egg Creams. You should definitely try the latter two.

I would also walk over to Koreatown located on 32nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue for lunch or dinner. I would recommend Kun Jip (9 west 32nd) any of the barbequed meat dishes are good, especially the pork and beef ribs. Also the bulgogi over rice. These places are best with a group though so you can share some things.

If you want to splurge a little Juni on 31st St. near 5th is one of the hottest restaurants in the city right now and they do a two course lunch for $30. I haven't been there yet but have eaten at the chef's previous places and his food can be amazing.

Lastly, you should check out the bar at the Ace hotel on 29th St. west of 5th avenue, it's usually got a good buzz and is quite nicely designed.

Shake Shack @ MSP has closed temporarily to increase underground storage space or something. Definitely try one of their other locations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Definitely get a taxi from the airport. You could also check if your hotel runs a courtesy shuttle. Some do.
    There is a special discount for an Irish passport at Macy's. Cant remember the amount but its worth it.... I would try the passport thing at most department stores if I were you. It can work sometimes.
    spurious wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Think the cab fair was the $100 mark (inclusive) into town, if I can recall....

Suspect passing a metro pass to someone behind you would be classed as an attempt to defraud the authorities.
    - As it would be on any transport system worldwide.

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Think the cab fair was the $100 mark (inclusive) into town, if I can recall....

'If' being the operative word, it's $52.50 excluding tolls....

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml
    Joe Doe wrote: »
    Suspect passing a metro pass to someone behind you would be classed as an attempt to defraud the authorities.
    - As it would be on any transport system worldwide.

No it wouldn't. If the Metrocard has an amount of credit on it and each swipe docks one journey, there is no fraud involved and an earlier poster already said that you can do it.

coylemj wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. If the Metrocard has an amount of credit on it and each swipe docks one journey, there is no fraud involved and an earlier poster already said that you can do it.

Also, there are no conductors and you don't need to use your card to get back out of the subway like some other cities. It's perfectly fine to share a card.

Just back, the taxi was a no brainer. The thoughts of lugging luggage on subway would of killed me plus as you all said after getting off a flight and straight into a cab was great. Flat rate from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan area of $52 plus the 50cents, the toll was $5.38 cents so all in all i gave driver $70. In the cab though it took nearly an hour to get to 31st street on Madison. Feet are walked off me, subway is very handy to do long journeys up n down. Union square was short enough walk from hotel and with the farmers market it was buzzing.

Couldn't believe traffic this morning from Dublin airport, landed at 8am and took nearly hour and half to get to south side and that was going over M50. I'd say I would of been longer if I'd have chose to go through town.

• Advertisement

Couldn't believe traffic this morning from Dublin airport, landed at 8am and took nearly hour and half to get to south side and that was going over M50. I'd say I would of been longer if I'd have chose to go through town.

Glad you had a good time in NY. Based on Twitter posts I think the southbound M50 was particularly bad this morning from Ballymun to Dundrum.

Advertisement