Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astra 1.7 CDTI

• 17-11-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭

I have a question about the 2008 1.7 CDTI.

Someone I know is looking at one. Tempted by price and low tax. Doesn't do mileage to justify diesel, but let's not go there.

Is this engine and other parts likely to give any trouble for mostly short runs? Not sure if it has an EGR or indeed a DPF?

Timing belt or chain? If so, what is the interval for changing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Best of the Astras in my opinion, not the most refined engine in the world but very reliable. Hoses are a weak point I find.

Timing belt is due at 60000 miles or 10 years and is inexpensive to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Astra 1.7 is an Isuzu engine, very reliable.

Comes in a few different versions, 80bhp, 100bhp, and 110bhp. 2008 is most likely the 100bhp but could be the 110bhp.

The 110bhp is same engine as used on the Astra J (2010 onwards), fitted to the last of the Astra H's also. Lowest emissions of the three, band A. Fitted with a 6-speed box (80 and 100bhp come with 5-speed). I think timing belt interval longer on the 110bhp, I need to check.

All three have EGR and DMF. EGR for a 110bhp is approx. 220 euro and is main dealer only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thanks lads.

It's the 100bhp. Not really worried about performance, more concerned with issues arising due to low mileage and lack of a good 'blast' to clear out DPFs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

I had one for a year before my new Golf. It was the 110 version and it was fine.
    I had the DPF light come on a few times as I was only doing short trips. It needed to be cleared from a continuous blast on the motorway. I only did 10k kms last year.

The 1.6t or even the 1.4t would make more sense, as it may run into problems if the person isn't mechanically sympathetic.

Advertisement