Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To me it looks like they are shifting the blame away from the Government and towards the door of Bord Gais. To underestimate costs by 25% is a massive balls-up. Senator John Whelan (Lab) said during the week that the Government were sold a pub by Bord Gais. I presume this is what he is referring to.

Yes but who made the decision to award the contract to Bord Gais and who should have been supervising the setup of the biggest Utility in the state for a number of generations. The Government are ultimately to blame no matter who they try and apportion the blame to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

shinzon wrote: »
    Sure whats another 100 million euro for metre installations

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1123/661882-bord-gais-underestimate-cost-of-water-metres/

Irish water a monumental waste of money

Shin

Not if your fine Gael friend Denis o Brien!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

gandalf wrote: »

The clear thing from my perspective is that our Government slept walked through the whole process of the setup of Irish Water.

Absolutely agree gandalf. They slept walked thru the setup while allowing many connected people to feather their nests. Irish Water will never gain credibility or acceptance. Quango creation at its best despite the "new politics" spoof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

gandalf wrote: »
    Yes but who made the decision to award the contract to Bord Gais and who should have been supervising the setup of the biggest Utility in the state for a number of generations. The Government are ultimately to blame no matter who they try and apportion the blame to.

I fully agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

There is no-one to blame for all this other than the government. They knew exactly what they were doing from day one. You cant blame the vultures for scavenging, their interests are themselves/their shareholders/owners/their golf buddies. The government is supposed to look out for the interests of all of the people of this country.

The only true regret we will ever see out of FG/Labour for this, is that they were caught out. No matter what happens, we will be wrong for not knowing our place(mouths shut, in the ballot box, playing Tweedledum and Tweedledee with a voting slip.)

December 10th, lads and lassies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

shinzon wrote: »
    Sure whats another 100 million euro for metre installations

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1123/661882-bord-gais-underestimate-cost-of-water-metres/

Irish water a monumental waste of money

Shin

It's a disgusting state quango set up to benefit the crony pals of FG.
    That people continue to defend it on this site really is shameful.
    Although I have noticed it's only the hardcore pro water tax lads left now.
    The usual 4 or 5.

To me it looks like they are shifting the blame away from the Government and towards the door of Bord Gais. To underestimate costs by 25% is a massive balls-up. Senator John Whelan (Lab) said during the week that the Government were sold a pup by Bord Gais. I presume this is what he is referring to.

It's what happens when you let one state quango set up another.
    It's corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

It's what happens when you let one state quango set up another.
    It's corrupt.

Like The People setting up a government. Same pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

It's a disgusting state quango set up to benefit the crony pals of FG.
    That people continue to defend it on this site really is shameful.
    Although I have noticed it's only the hardcore pro water tax lads left now.
    The usual 4 or 5.

It actually gives me great hope for this country, when i see people that originally were in favour say they now see this for what it is. i see myself thanking more and more names that were on the opposite side of the argument for the last few years.
    People are uniting against this corruption and dont care any longer whether the government think they are reasonable or not, or that Enda thinks they are like baying hounds or that Joan thinks we are all thugs with fancy phones, or the Independent thinks we are all dissidents.

Feck off, we know who we are, and what you are!

Like The People setting up a government. Same pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Exactly. That generation just sang songs (good ones mind) about change.
    The present sabre rattlers march.

Neither has any effect. But it keeps them happy.

In case you haven't noticed, FG have done a complete U-turn on their water tax.
    Do you think they'd have changed their stance without protest?

You cannot say the the marches are having no effect after the epic Government climb downs during the week.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

That album came out during one of the biggest social changes in the world and it could be said that the music that came out during the 60's played a massive part in that change. The same could be said about Punk and the subculture that came with it but that's for a different thread :)

I think many people, whether they protested or not, are proud of the way that people power forced the government into the biggest political climbdown in the history of the state. It made people feel that they had some influence on how their country is run and also provided hope for the future. It certainly set a precedent that all future governments will be wary of. As someone mentioned here a few days ago, social media definitely helps especially when dealing with a very biased media. The bottom line is that most Irish people will no longer lie down and suffer for the benefit of the elite or to keep Europe happy. Good times.

Vote RPPP #1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

You have no idea what your talking about.

None

gladrags wrote: »
    You have no idea what your talking about.

None

"YeViralScour" is either working in Irish Water or with FG and is just incredibly bitter. Ignore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

http://www.thejournal.ie/early-general-election-2016-1794824-Nov2014/

Journal poll on FG calling an early general election.

So far 81% of people believe Fine Gail should call a general election.

Pocoyo wrote: »

They wont call an election on such a low. They will have to wait for some kind of upturn even if that means waiting simply for better weather i.e. May/June.

They will try and ride out the IW crisis into 2015 and continue the climbdown.

The 2 big questions are;
    1) Will they call an election with Enda in charge (unlikely)
    2) Will Labour and Burton hold the line for much longer (probably have no choice given their popularity)

I wouldn't be overly keen on this right now. I've heard rumblings of new parties forming including one by Shane Ross. It would be interesting to see what he is offering up because I do not have a clue who I would vote for if a GE was called now. I wouldn't be voting FF/FG/Lab anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wouldn't be overly keen on this right now. I've heard rumblings of new parties forming including one by Shane Ross. It would be interesting to see what he is offering up because I do not have a clue who I would vote for if a GE was called now. I wouldn't be voting FF/FG/Lab anyway.

Exactly a GE right now would be a clusterfvck and we would likely just need to have another one in 3 months when no government can be formed or the mishmash of lefties and SF collapse

Im in the same position myself but either way i will be voting independent or any smaller party that promises a swiss style system.

Im not afraid of SF i just dont believe they would be anymore different from FG and FF!

Im in the same position myself but either way i will be voting independent or any smaller party that promises a swiss style system.

Im not afraid of SF i just dont believe they would be anymore different from FG and FF!

You think there is a realistic chance of an independent government managing to form? Without SF or another major party? And then staying together for longer than a year?

The one advantage of the parties is they understand how to compromise together in government while a group of independents will be biting each others heads off in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I believe that what we are witnessing is unprecedented.There are so many possibilities,and a lot of volatility.

If this Gov tries to hang on until 2016,there is nothing to suggest that FG and Labour,will not slide further in the polls.

If the present trend continued,SF and independents will increase ratings in polls.

If Ross manages to set up a new party,FG & FF voters could be swayed.

Finally,there could well be an election within six months.

There are other serious issues out there simmering.

I believe that what we are witnessing is unprecedented.There are so many possibilities,and a lot of volatility.

If this Gov tries to hang on until 2016,there is nothing to suggest that FG and Labour,will not slide further in the polls.

If the present trend continued,SF and independents will increase ratings in polls.

If Ross manages to set up a new party,FG & FF voters could be swayed.

Finally,there could well be an election within six months.

There are other serious issues out there simmering.

Enlighten us, please.

VinLieger wrote: »
    You think there is a realistic chance of an independent government managing to form? Without SF or another major party? And then staying together for longer than a year?

The one advantage of the parties is they understand how to compromise together in government while a group of independents will be biting each others heads off in no time

I envisage a more structured anti austerity party.

Of course they will need to align with another party i was merely stating my reasoning for voting.

If the present trend continued,SF and independents will increase ratings

Tough spot for FG. Id say the strategists don't know what the hell to do. Enda is toxic for sure but do you leave him and hope the protests fizzle out and people begin to comply or do they replace him with Leo Varadker or Richard Bruton I would think or indeed call a general election. Dec 10th is d-day for them.

I envisage a more structured anti austerity party.

Of course they will need to align with another party i was merely stating my reasoning for voting.

I agree the Left need a more structured party as a base however due to how they currently operate by basically being opposed to everything apart from their own populist constituency self interests with water being basically the only thing binding them all together, I cannot see such a party group being anywhere near stable enough to hold through long in government. Basically what im saying is a lot of the left independents need to grow up a bit before they can form a stable government or even party.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly a GE right now would be a clusterfvck and we would likely just need to have another one in 3 months when no government can be formed or the mishmash of lefties and SF collapse

Nonsense anythings better than FG throwing away huge amounts of state funds ffs!! are you not seeing the amount of money being spent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You haven't a clue as to what your generation owes to that generation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement