Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Two young courageous leaders,show leadership,and bring Kenny and his cronies,to their knees.

I didn't know murphy wore his underpants on outside his clothes.

"No its the politics, we the electorate have spent years building up."

Now they want alternitaves.

You'll have to wait for the GE, right now, what you have is a few people with megaphones "telling" us they want alternatives.
    Democratic alternitaves.

that will exclude a few parties then.

"Firstly Ireland is an extremely wealthy nation in the world compared to many others, some of our problems, nations would give their right leg to have,"

Where is the extreme wealth?

look up our oecd ranking. the left would like us to be seen as bangladesh, doesn't suit the message, unless we can be portrayed as downtrodden and beggared.
    Is austerity a mirage?

nope, needed to close our gap between current spending and tax revenue, personally Id call it fiscal rectitude, or like, only spending what you can afford. we are still borrowing like its 1999.
    "I see no "cultural " corruption "

No tribunals,no quangos,no cronies,?

thats not culture per say. cronies by the way is a word for "friend", ever do a favour for a friend.

Im not arguing this, but its how we Irish work.
    No greedy well educated bankers,ransacking the country?
    If there is so much wealth,why draconian cutbacks?

I wasn't aware that the bankers were able to institute a bank guarantee all on their own. Our Gov democratically elected by us , made that decision, that sealed our fate. When the Gov does things right, we are happy to take the befits, however when they do things wrong, we unfortunately have to take the pain.

We are wealthy, we just don't pay enough taxes to cover the services we believe we want ( akak current budget deficit), you can do three things, raise taxes, cut spending, or fire public servants, we of course don't want to do anything like that , we want to blame "them"

"A lot of this dates back to a colonial attitude.This attitude has passed into our politics, we don't see the nation as important , we see individual gain and loss as important. Hence we have massive parish pump politics, where the primary purpose of our elected representatives is not to govern, its to see what they can "squeeze" out of the state for "us". Ask any elected rep , how to get elected and stay elected."

The colonial and tribal times of FF/FG,and their legacy.

Its baked into all our politics, left right , center. In fact more so in the far left as we have no far right parties
    Which at last is now being challenged,
    democratically.

Nope, I haven't seen a GE yet.
    "We baked in corruption into our politics, because ultimately its what we wanted"

Right,blame the electorate.

Theres no one else, if I walk out into the street and look around for perpetrators, I just see "us", or course the hidden "them" is so much easier to blame.

We now want change.

And change is the biggest fear.

Firstly some may want FG to go, its unclear how that will plan out in a GE , 16 months away. ( hint: its the economy stupid)
    If you want to frighten a FG Gov, you get ordinary mothers and fathers from Lucan and ballinteer etc walking quietly down O'connell st.

Thats their voters and that scares them.

Throw a few bricks, shout anarchy into a megaphone, expose extreme leftist ideas, thats not their voters, that doesn't scare them

Imagine the powerful message in Jobstown if Joan burton had driven away past rows of silent protesters holding banners on the side of the road. Thats scares politicians,

The other thing, just lets them off the hook, cause they can claim its "militants" and ignore you. ( and they are right , none of those people are going to vote for them anyway)

Theres a way to scarce the bejesus out of FG, and the militants have lost the plot ( and middle Ireland as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Pocoyo wrote: »

Why do you think it out of the ordinary that a guard would raise these issues in court?

Thurston? wrote: »
    Why do you think it out of the ordinary that a guard would raise these issues in court?

first he's a Chief superintendent, secondly I suspect he was asked by either council or the judge, generally you don't get top just stand up and start speaking randomly.

Correction: He was asked by the Installation company ( obviously they are tired of this Gov too)

Nowhere does it say he was unhappy with the Gov

this

Originally Posted by Pocoyo View Post
    It seems the gardai may of had enough of this government now too.

Thats utter fabrication, worthy of our leftist militant tendency friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Absolutely it is.

• Advertisement

Absolutely it is.

Stop disembling

The gardai was asked on behalf of the water installation company, or rather their council, presumably as they were seeking to establish if a public order ACT had been violated , the Cfief super ventured his opinion that it had not.

STOP making stuff up

BoatMad wrote: »
    first he's a Chief superintendent, secondly I suspect he was asked by either council or the judge, generally you don't get top just stand up and start speaking randomly.

Correction: He was asked by the Installation company ( obviously they are tired of this Gov too)

Nowhere does it say he was unhappy with the Gov

Was just about to quote the part about being called by the company, when I spotted your edit.

Strange that a court would be used for the purpose of sorting out legal matters ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Anyone any updates on how Enda was received in Limerick this evening?

I'm guessing there would have been a welcoming committee formed to greet him?

Around 200 protestors according to RTE

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=972634182765584

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/council-of-europe-calls-for-executive-reforms-in-ireland-1.2009606

The Council of Europe has called for a radical reform of Ireland’s parliamentary system in order to prevent corruption and misconduct by members of the Houses of the Oireachtas.
    In a wide-ranging review of Ireland’s parliamentary, judicial and prosecution system to be published today, the Strasbourg-based body notes that there is “growing concern” about corruption in Ireland, despite recent reforms such as the Freedom of Information Act and Ethics Acts.
    Among the 11 specific recommendations proposed by the body is a call for TDs to be given regular training on ethics, conflict of interest and corruption-prevention issues. It also notes “with concern” that the disclosure of confidential communication can lead to up to six months in prison in Ireland.

All the vital so called systems are broken in this country;
    1) Political
    2) Judicial (including the Gardaí)
    3) Health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

shinzon wrote: »
    Around 200 protestors according to RTE

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=972634182765584

Shin

200 out in Cork the other day, 200 out in Limerick tonight. It's clearly the same 200 people following him around :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

200 out in Cork the other day, 200 out in Limerick tonight. It's clearly the same 200 people following him around :P

Isnt 200 feck all really?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Isnt 200 feck all really?

thats nothing, now if it was about doing away with the free travel, jaysus he'd be inundated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Quote:BoatMad

"Didn't know murphy wore his underpants on outside his clothes.

You'll have to wait for the GE, right now, what you have is a few people with megaphones "telling" us they want alternatives. "

Only because there are alternitaves.

"That will exclude a few parties then."

?

"look up our oecd ranking. the left would like us to be seen as bangladesh, doesn't suit the message, unless we can be portrayed as downtrodden and beggared."

Your exaggerating,forget the left, we had a Celtic tiger,there was no left.

You never answered the question.

Were did all the wealth go?

Or

Were is it?

Stick to the point.

"nope, needed to close our gap between current spending and tax revenue, personally Id call it fiscal rectitude, or like, only spending what you can afford. we are still borrowing like its 1999. "

Look,the economic chaos,is little to do with whats best for society,its a cut throat business,law of the jungle thing.

Fiscal my arse.

Borrowing is good,it creates wealth.

Thats how it goes.

"Thats not culture per say. cronies by the way is a word for "friend", ever do a favour for a friend. Im not arguing this, but its how we Irish work."

You have me there.

"I wasn't aware that the bankers were able to institute a bank guarantee all on their own. Our Gov democratically elected by us , made that decision, that sealed our fate. When the Gov does things right, we are happy to take the befits, however when they do things wrong, we unfortunately have to take the pain."

It was so corrupt,it beggars belief.

The public were unaware.

Did you ever hear of accountability?

When someone robs a bank,or burgles a house,they are held accountable.

Why not bankers or politicians?

"We are wealthy, we just don't pay enough taxes to cover the services we believe we want ( akak current budget deficit), you can do three things, raise taxes, cut spending, or fire public servants, we of course don't want to do anything like that , we want to blame "them" "

You are not making any sense.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    All the vital so called systems are broken in this country;
    1) Political
    2) Judicial (including the Gardaí)
    3) Health

you understand it was reporting on the measure to prevent corruption of political members, it actually praised the judiciary.

we are in good company
    In a report on Belgium published today, the Council of Europe Anti-Corruption Group (GRECO) calls for a reinforcement of its preventive measures concerning corruption within parliamentary and judicial institutions.
    Council of Europe’s Anti-corruption Group calls on Croatia to raise public confidence in judiciary and bolster anti-corruption measures in parliament

even saintly denmark
    Danish measures to prevent corruption among members of parliament, judges and prosecutors appear to be quite effective in practice. However, the current system based on trust might not always provide sufficient safeguards against corruption risks in the future.

Furthermore the title of the sub report is
    Council of Europe supports Ireland in its commitment to preventing corruption among members of parliament, judges and prosecutors and to further strengthening their integrity

note the "supports"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

'Gardaí have raised concerns in the High Court about their ability to police protests around water meter installation works.

A Chief Superintendent has told the court that the work stations are not deemed to be public areas and are therefore not subject to the Public Order Act.'

It seems the gardai may of had enough of this government now too.

They are too late, the damage has been done. The Gardaí backed the water scam quango and worked against the public interest. The damage has been done. Community policing my arse.

Gladrags - 1

Lunatic - 0

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Gladrags - 1

Lunatic - 0

:D

It's this kind of smug one-upmanship that makes the far left so unappealing to most people.

gladrags wrote: »
    Quote:BoatMad

"Didn't know murphy wore his underpants on outside his clothes.

You'll have to wait for the GE, right now, what you have is a few people with megaphones "telling" us they want alternatives. "

Only because there are alternitaves.

"That will exclude a few parties then."

?

"look up our oecd ranking. the left would like us to be seen as bangladesh, doesn't suit the message, unless we can be portrayed as downtrodden and beggared."

Your exaggerating,forget the left, we had a Celtic tiger,there was no left.

You never answered the question.

Were did all the wealth go?

Or

Were is it?

most of it is still here, its seems to be buying a lot of houses, office blocks, new cars and what not at the moment

Stick to the point.

"nope, needed to close our gap between current spending and tax revenue, personally Id call it fiscal rectitude, or like, only spending what you can afford. we are still borrowing like its 1999. "
    Look,the economic chaos,is little to do with whats best for society,its a cut throat business,law of the jungle thing.

Fiscal my arse.

Borrowing is good,it creates wealth.

Thats how it goes.

"Fiscal my arse", is that the name of your textbook.

Fiscal rectitude is not having a significant budget deficit, do you understand the terminology cause you just seem to be foaming at the mouth here

"I wasn't aware that the bankers were able to institute a bank guarantee all on their own. Our Gov democratically elected by us , made that decision, that sealed our fate. When the Gov does things right, we are happy to take the befits, however when they do things wrong, we unfortunately have to take the pain."

It was so corrupt,it beggars belief.

Its was a poor decision, it showed up how politicians don't know much about banking, we were advised not to do a guarantee we went ahead and didi it anyway.
    The public were unaware

they usually are,
    Did you ever hear of accountability?

When someone robs a bank,or burgles a house,they are held accountable.

Why not bankers or politicians?

Just explain to me rationally how they broke any laws, or are we in your own private wild west. politicians are accountable at the ballet box, I think FF got punished . Just what laws were broken, unfortunately its not illegal to be stupid,.
    "We are wealthy, we just don't pay enough taxes to cover the services we believe we want ( akak current budget deficit), you can do three things, raise taxes, cut spending, or fire public servants, we of course don't want to do anything like that , we want to blame "them" "

You are not making any sense.

Im making perfect sense, Ireland is not a poor country. its no third world nation.

But we have deluded ourselves, that we can have a bloated public service, low taxes and high quality services, , we can't . But we are ducking the opportunities to fix it, because we can't take hard decisions, wed prefer "them" to be blamed and "someone" ( the lefties maybe) to ride in on a white charger promising they can "fix it all up" ( where have I heard that before, remind me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Well I don't see a fan club,or a welcoming commitee.

Do you?

The Gardaí backed the water scam quango and worked against the public interest. The damage has been done. Community policing my arse.

I wasn't aware the guards were allowed to pick & choose the laws they want to enforce. So it's all down to who they 'back'? Learn something new everyday ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

They are too late, the damage has been done. The Gardaí backed the water scam quango and worked against the public interest. The damage has been done. Community policing my arse.

Comments like that are just plain anti Gardai and have nothing to do with IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

BoatMad wrote: »
    No, they are installing meters all over the place without protest.

i wonder why that chief superintendent said that in the court today.

kind of plays in to what i think about GMC/Sierra being concerned about the safety of their workers.

i think pulling the installers out is being considered. if one of them gets injured doing installations they would be open to being sued by their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I wasn't aware the guards were allowed to pick & choose the laws they want to enforce. So it's all down to who they 'back'? Learn something new everyday ...

Where there is no crime what are they suppose to do..wait around for one is it

Hello...Penalty points scandal??

Garda whistle blower John McCabe... :confused:

Somebody doesnt watch the news!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

omega man wrote: »
    Comments like that are just plain anti Gardai and have nothing to do with IW.

I've a family member who's a Gardaí and they are saying as much. The boots on the ground Gardaí are pissed off by the orders given to them by their superiors as it's put them back years in terms of vital community policing. "Anti Gardaí":rolleyes:

emo72 wrote: »
    i wonder why that chief superintendent said that in the court today.

kind of plays in to what i think about GMC/Sierra being concerned about the safety of their workers.

i think pulling the installers out is being considered. if one of them gets injured doing installations they would be open to being sued by their employees.

Sorry , the protestors were in court on a claim that they broke a court injunction, one presumes they were either arrested by the Gardai, or summonsed by the company , if it was in relation to an injection and a possible contempt of court , one would assume they were brought in by the Gardai.

The Chief super was there no doubt called by the council for the company or may have been there representing the state. He was asked to give his expert testimony

Just where is the evidence for your conclusion

I never saws so much wishful thinking in my life.

I've a family member who's a Gardaí and they are saying as much. The boots on the ground Gardaí are pissed off by the orders given to them by their superiors as it's put them back years in terms of vital community policing. "Anti Gardaí":rolleyes:

funny i was talking to a friend of mine who is a Gardai, an he dais the general view is that most are very peaceful, a handful are fueled by loons ( I'm paraphrasing) and that they felt it would blow over soon,

he did express frustration that he felt senior Gardai had underestimated the need for the resources needed to protect politicians, I gather thats under immediate review

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

You said "gardai backed the water scam". you never said Garda management but simpy Gardai. You can rolley eyes all you want. If you had said Garda management I would have got some kind of point you were trying to make otherwise yes it came across as anti gardai.

omega man wrote: »
    You said "gardai backed the water scam". you never said Garda management but simpy Gardai. You can rolley eyes all you want. If you had said Garda management I would have got some kind of point you were trying to make otherwise yes it came across as anti gardai.

Whats your view on the gardai do you believe they are well trained and the service is fit for purpose in its current form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Specialun wrote: »
    Where there is no crime what are they suppose to do..wait around for one is it

If it is likely to happen then they stick around to prevent it.
    Hello...Penalty points scandal??

Garda whistle blower John McCabe... :confused:

Somebody doesnt watch the news!!

So you are saying those Gardaí were right to choose what laws to enforce?

The boots on the ground are pissed off because they are being told not to arrest people breaking the law, ie the protesters, and because they are having to put up with non stop abuse. Jobstown has pretty much evaporated any sympathy Gardaí had with protests that break the law "peacefully".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement