Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

VinLieger wrote: »
    It's called a legal court injunction which they are obligated to enforce as part of their job, be pissed at the judge who issued it not working gardai trying to just do what they are trained to

They should spend a little bit more time on the boardwalk by the Liffey attempting to catch drug dealers instead of working against communities in support of a private company trying to force people into paying a bill twice.

The damage has already been done anyway, ive seen it in my own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RobertKK wrote: »
    People who pay for their water have far better water infrastructure than those who rely on an underfunded public water supply.

If people won't pay they will get what they pay for, which is an inferior water supply and infrastructure.

But again we are paying through multiple streams. I wish the IW cheerleaders would stop spouting this people won't pay or people don't pay tripe.

Also what is your position on the hiring of people from the public water supply bureaucracy who failed to do their jobs, a lot of whom have retired on gold plated pensions only to be greeted by gold plated jobs.

I have no issues paying for what I use not for a retirement home for failed public servants to sponge more resources off the hard bitten taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

26 vans and 10 trailers held up from entering Aulden Grange Woodlawn estate Dublin yesterday

well done all

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=693856444067726&fref=nf

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

gandalf wrote: »
    But again we are paying through multiple streams. I wish the IW cheerleaders would stop spouting this people won't pay or people don't pay tripe.

Also what is your position on the hiring of people from the public water supply bureaucracy who failed to do their jobs, a lot of whom have retired on gold plated pensions only to be greeted by gold plated jobs.

I have no issues paying for what I use not for a retirement home for failed public servants to sponge more resources off the hard bitten taxpayer.

I didn't say they don't pay, that is why the word 'also' was included in reference to tax.
    I said what gets what they pay for and public water need more money put into it. I don't believe everyone should have to pay more tax for a service they might not receive, and it is fairer the user pays.

The people who worked with the water system know it well. You could get rid of them like the army was got rid of when Saddam was toppled and then put in people who don't know the infrastructure well, and while they get to know the system, you can have an even poorer water system.

The water protesters will only continue with an inferior water system compared to those who pay directly already if nothing changes.

I don't want to pay more taxes towards a water system that I don't use, which is what would happen if the water was to return to local councils.
    I am happy to get €100 towards what I already pay, which still costs more than what IW are offering its customers.

But whats the point in putting people in place who obviously were not up to the job including John Tierney who had fudged the whole Poolbeg incinerator process or Hubert Kearns who after his stint as Sligo County Manager left a massive debt of €80million. Give them a job just because they "know" the infrastructure???

I can understand that statement with respect to the man on the ground but not some bureaucrat who failed to control costs or scope of projects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The people who worked with the water system know it well. You could get rid of them like the army was got rid of when Saddam was toppled and then put in people who don't know the infrastructure well, and while they get to know the system, you can have an even poorer water system.

:pac::D:) chancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

moxin wrote: »
    ... while you're at it divert the water meter contract money to fixing leaks first.

Then what? You think it will fix all the leaks? And of course we're still stuck with the old funding model at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

People who pay for their water have far better water infrastructure than those who rely on an underfunded public water supply.

If people won't pay they will get what they pay for, which is an inferior water supply and infrastructure.

I mention this regularly enough, but it still stands.

My household paid €46,000 last year in personal taxes, charges and levies to the exchequer. Is it not reasonable for me to contend that some part of that was for my public water supply, and that I was well covered in that regard?

I wont pay any more, because I wont stand for the shambles that is the conception and operation of Irish Water in its current form.

There is a chicken and egg situation with regard to the infrastructure, yes, but I refuse to be lied to about conservation and polluters paying when all the proposed charge is regressive taxation.

The EU seems to be very good at inventing financial instruments to suit its problems as they arise. Our Govt needs to go to Brussels and hammer out a long term borrowing to repair the network, preferably overseen by Brussels, as I dont trust our lot one bit to manage it. It would even be an excellent stimulus. There is a way, they may go and find it.

Then we'll talk about charging for usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Smidge wrote: »
    You see this is the problem...
    You cant comprehend this as it isn't relevant in your life so therefore it seems totally unrealistic but that does not change the fact that this is very much a reality for a lot of people.
    I go out probably once/twice max a year as thats all we can afford(it would be special occasions). Because you don't believe it doesn't make it less true, its just not part of your life as you can afford to do these things.
    Dental treatment is a huge problem for people atm.
    Check ups may be free, treatment is NOT.

This is intrinsic to all that is happening atm.
    People are saying "Hang on a fecking minute!! I cant afford xyz and here is another quango getting bonuses and the government with taxes etc. Fukc that"
    People are saying why are we no better in our pockets?
    Unemployed people are saying why am I doing a jobsbridge when there is CLEARLY a paying position here which I would happily do for a wage?
    People are saying why does childcare annihilate my wage when I want to work?
    People are saying why am I choosing between heating the house and getting shopping in?
    People are saying which bill or part of bill will I pay this week so that I can put another one off for another week?
    People are dreading Christmas and Birthdays and the start of the school year etc etc as there is NO MONEY and it must be found irregardless.

It seems totally unrealistic based on our social welfare scheme and also based on previous stories like this. I find it impossible to believe that in 5 years someone can't scrap together €70 for a dentist check-up. It's bull**** to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

It seems totally unrealistic based on our social welfare scheme and also based on previous stories like this. I find it impossible to believe that in 5 years someone can't scrap together €70 for a dentist check-up. It's bull**** to be honest.

You are a troll , sir !
    I haven't been to the dentist in a long time due to money ( lack of it ) . 70 quid on a check up , what do you do when the dentist tells you that you need work done and it will cost €800 ? Please open your mind to the possibility that some people aren't as well off as you seem to think you are !

hawkelady wrote: »
    You are a troll , sir !
    I haven't been to the dentist in a long time due to money ( lack of it ) . 70 quid on a check up , what do you do when the dentist tells you that you need work done and it will cost €800 ? Please open your mind to the possibility that some people aren't as well off as you seem to think you are !

You probably haven't been to a dentist because it's your personal choice not to go to a dentist.

It's bull**** to be honest.

how do you know what peoples circumstances are, and to say its bull**** is coming from a very unrealistic viewpoint, there are people in this country who cannot afford stuff like that after paying all the bills that they have now nvm the water charges.

The amount of people giving up there health insurance for instance should tell you more about that situation then some blanket its bull**** statement

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    how do you know what peoples circumstances are, and to say its bull**** is coming from a very unrealistic viewpoint, there are people in this country who cannot afford stuff like that after paying all the bills that they have now nvm the water charges.

The amount of people giving up there health insurance for instance should tell you more about that situation then some blanket its bull**** statement

Shin

You really think someone has been so badly off that they haven't been able to save €70 in 5 years? Please, let's have a bit of reality here. People giving up health insurance who tells me that they don't want to pay potentially €1,000 for it. Not that they have been so broke that they can't afford €70 in the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

shinzon wrote: »

Shin

There's no point in trying to explain that to people who are dead set against keeping an open mind to things and who are so self involved that the comprehension of anyone else being less well off than them totally bypasses them. For a lot of people, health insurance is long gone for the ones who had it(most of the people I know never could really afford it to begin with so just hoped they and their children didn't get sick)

I see you ignored what hawkelady said. The €70 probably isn't a problem but all it will do is identify that you will have to spend a additional €xxx on getting the issue fixed.

When things are tight you prioritise your family ahead of yourself. I know this because this is exactly what I have done. I know I need to go to see the dentist, I know it is going to cost a substantial amount of cash but I don't have those funds available especially when I am financially recovering from being unemployed for 16 months and am trying to pay off debts accrued because of that break in my earning cycle.

gandalf wrote: »
    I see you ignored what hawkelady said. The €70 probably isn't a problem but all it will do is identify that you will have to spend a additional €xxx on getting the issue fixed.

When things are tight you prioritise your family ahead of yourself. I know this because this is exactly what I have done. I know I need to go to see the dentist, I know it is going to cost a substantial amount of cash but I don't have those funds available especially when I am financially recovering from being unemployed for 16 months and am trying to pay off debts accrued because of that break in my earning cycle.

I didn't ignore what Hawkelady said. The original person said they couldn't afford to go to the dentist check up in the last 5 years, I called bull**** on that. They never said anything about additional work etc. IF they did I'm not sure it's much of an excuse considering they don't know what additional work needs to be done or how much it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I didn't ignore what Hawkelady said. The original person said they couldn't afford to go to the dentist check up in the last 5 years, I called bull**** on that. They never said anything about additional work etc. IF they did I'm not sure it's much of an excuse considering they don't know what additional work needs to be done or how much it will cost.

A lot of people can't afford €70. A lot of people can't afford €0.01. I know I can't. I have had to borrow money, run an overdraft, and not pay certain bills just to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You really think someone has been so badly off that they haven't been able to save €70 in 5 years? Please, let's have a bit of reality here. People giving up health insurance who tells me that they don't want to pay potentially €1,000 for it. Not that they have been so broke that they can't afford €70 in the last 5 years.

I think you might have missed Hawkeladys post.
    What do you do when the dentist tells you you need E800 of work? Can you do this sum for me, if it takes 5 years to save 70, how long does it take to save 800.
    I'm getting over 57 years, but i could be wrong, that seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Thurston? wrote: »
    Then what? You think it will fix all the leaks? And of course we're still stuck with the old funding model at the end of it all.[/QUOTE
    how much has iw cost so far to set up, the consultants, brand and logo costs, wages, pension conrubutions, now redundancy payments, expenses, free cars, bank charges, call center and debt collection charges, postal charges, esb costs building costs, the cost of purchaseing and fitting the meters, if all this was put into the infastructure then check what was required, no one would have protested, the blatent attempt to force something which any decent person could suss as being unworkable after tax upon tax then cut after has the working and welfare class skint.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    What do you do when the dentist tells you you need E800 of work? Can you do this sum for me, if it takes 5 years to save 70, how long does it take to save 800.

You don't pay the €800. Quite simple really. However they can still afford the €70 which they claimed they couldn't. Can I ask how someone who isn't a dentist knows exactly what work they need done and how much it's going to cost? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Satriale wrote: »

You could equally argue that by getting semi regular check ups you could catch things before they become an issue and you never get into a situation where you have to spend €800. Going to the check up doesn't create the issue, it would still be there even if you don't become aware of it until you're in blinding pain. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

The same thing should have been done with the water infrastructure, paying a little bit every year towards preventative maintenance would have avoided the multi-billion Euro job it is to sort out now.

You don't pay the €800. Quite simple really. However they can still afford the €70 which they claimed they couldn't. Can I ask how someone who isn't a dentist knows exactly what work they need done and how much it's going to cost? :confused:

Then why would you go and pay the €70 for the check up in the first place if you knew you DIDNT need work done??
    I had to visit the dentist last year and DREADED the thought as I knew it was going to cost me about a grand. I delayed it for as long as I possibly could to get some of the money up. Had to borrow the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Then why would you go and pay the €70 for the check up in the first place if you knew you DIDNT need work done??

The whole point of check ups is that you end up with say a filling instead of a root canal. More or less.

I had to visit the dentist last year and DREADED the thought as I knew it was going to cost me about a grand. I delayed it for as long as I possibly could to get some of the money up. Had to borrow the rest.

I'd have thought people go to the dentist to make sure they're teeth, gums etc are in a healthy condition. Since everyone isn't a dentist people generally have no idea what they need done. Sometimes you can tell if you need a clean to get tartar removed or if you need a filling but these don't amount to €800.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The whole point of check ups is that you end up with say a filling instead of a root canal. More or less.

You must be a regular on the Dental forum :p
    Wouldn't have made an ounce of difference in my case as my issue was not a long standing one through neglect etc.
    Thats the problem as well with water charges. Everything costs so much here that its incredibly hard to find extra money when its needed(dental emergency etc)so an extra tax like the water charge is just a no no for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Amazing the amount of people that think 70 euro is feck all. Guess society in this country is getting more divided with each passing day.

I'd have thought people go to the dentist to make sure they're teeth, gums etc are in a healthy condition. Since everyone isn't a dentist people generally have no idea what they need done. Sometimes you can tell if you need a clean to get tartar removed or if you need a filling but these don't amount to €800.

You can tell exactly how much it will to get an implant or crown though ;)
    You will know(if your pocket dictates that you must know)if you need a filling or an extraction etc(pain would be a good indicator)

Be we have gone way off topic now

Amazing the amount of people that think 70 euro is feck all. Guess society in this country is getting more divided with each passing day.

Amazing the amount of people who think €70 over 5 years is huge money.

• Advertisement

came across this video explains Irish water wastage quite clearly

Shin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement