Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I want a peaceful protest, I dont want violence, I dont want this cause to be lost in anarchy - but I can also understand people have finally snapped. The public revolt to Water Charges seems shocking because we have done NO revolting in the last 6 years.

This seems like nothing compared to anti austerity demonstrations in Greece, Spain and regular demonstrations in France.
    What country recently were ministers dumped into skips on their way out of Parliament????? Can you see the shock if that was done here??? We do nothing by comparison here - we have been so meek and subservient that NOW Enda is shocked - finally!

I earn €208 a week on a CE Scheme after losing a job in banking.
    I pay USC, TV Licence, Car tax, bin charges, all my utilities, Property Tax. I insure my house and car. I buy food to live. I cut and colour my own hair. I never buy new clothes. I simply cant pay any more charges.
    I also cry most nights because I'm stressed and worried all the time about money. I want a proper paid job again. I am experienced and well qualified but I cant get one.
    I cant afford this Christmas when my kids return from the countries they emigrated to. I feel sick.

I fundamentally agree with paying for a commodity like water but if Enda wants us to pay then scrap USC!!!

I am tired of listening to people who actually can pay for water telling others here to just shut up and pay again. Live my life for one day and try it.

USC was reduced in the budget from 2% to 1.5%. On the basis off what you have earned that will save you 50 per year. If all the talk about figures are to be believed they say we will be paying 75 per household after rebates etc. The net impact for you is therefore 25 euro per year or below 7 cent per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

One mans excessive force is another's reasonable force, It's all over the internet, the fact the guard hasn't been arrested or suspended pending investigation tells me that his superiors don't think he used excessive force either. Maybe next time she will stay behind the barriers as instructed instead of acting the knob.

I've never once heard that phrase being used in these circles. It was excessive as in she was already restrained and did not need further restraint. She was being removed from the vicinity of the vehicle by the other 2 officers without need for further assistance. There was no need to be slammed to the ground at that point. And if you come to the conclusion that there was, as an officer of the law, I believey your aactions should be called into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So as a Garda, which I assume you are, you would have left her sitting on the Minister's car?

Actually I'm guessing from what he said that he works for a competent and professional police force - not the (some individuals notwithstanding) Keystone Cops brigade we have here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually I'm guessing from what he said that he works for a competent and professional police force - not the (some individuals notwithstanding) Keystone Cops brigade we have here

Well wherever he works my question still stands.

I won't dignify the your stereotyping of the Gardai by responding to it any further.

So as a Garda, which I assume you are, you would have left her sitting on the Minister's car?

The 2 other officers had her restrained. She was complying with the restraint. There was no need to the 3rd officer to intervene in what I deem an excessive nature. Unless he can claim he saw a gun or some weapon. You can't just react that way and say she might have had one. The action needs a catalyst based on what you believe is a threat. A restrained female out of the cars obstruction is not a threat. In my experienced view of course.

• Advertisement

I want a peaceful protest, I dont want violence, I dont want this cause to be lost in anarchy - but I can also understand people have finally snapped. The public revolt to Water Charges seems shocking because we have done NO revolting in the last 6 years.

This seems like nothing compared to anti austerity demonstrations in Greece, Spain and regular demonstrations in France.
    What country recently were ministers dumped into skips on their way out of Parliament????? Can you see the shock if that was done here??? We do nothing by comparison here - we have been so meek and subservient that NOW Enda is shocked - finally!

I earn €208 a week on a CE Scheme after losing a job in banking.
    I pay USC, TV Licence, Car tax, bin charges, all my utilities, Property Tax. I insure my house and car. I buy food to live. I cut and colour my own hair. I never buy new clothes. I simply cant pay any more charges.
    I also cry most nights because I'm stressed and worried all the time about money. I want a proper paid job again. I am experienced and well qualified but I cant get one.
    I cant afford this Christmas when my kids return from the countries they emigrated to. I feel sick.

I fundamentally agree with paying for a commodity like water but if Enda wants us to pay then scrap USC!!!

I am tired of listening to people who actually can pay for water telling others here to just shut up and pay again. Live my life for one day and try it.

I entirely agree with you, some posters have an air of arrogance as if anyone who refuses to pay must have been or still are, living beyond their means. your post is very honest and heartfelt, it should give most people perspective and others pause for thought. I certainly will not pay I can tell you that, and I have and always have had, a very modest low maintenance life style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

The 2 other officers had her restrained. She was complying with the restraint. There was no need to the 3rd officer to intervene in what I deem an excessive nature. Unless he can claim he saw a gun or some weapon. You can't just react that way and say she might have had one. The action needs a catalyst based on what you believe is a threat. A restrained female out of the cars obstruction is not a threat. In my experienced view of course.

Surely it's up to the woman to make a complaint though and follow our actual process?

Fair enough. Presumably she was doing something that they took to be a threat.

None of us were there so of course we can't say for sure, but I refuse to believe that Garda dragged off the car for no reason.

Not all water protesters are in the right, not all Garda are in the wrong no matter how much you seem to want to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

Are you a Garda? Just curious.

Well wherever he works my question still stands.

I won't dignify the your stereotyping of the Gardai by responding to it any further.

Fair enough..

AGS do themselves more than enough damage on their own:

- There's the infamous Donegal thing of course
    - Money held as evidence going "missing" from stations
    - The penalty points wiping
    - Following of independent TDs and passing confidential info on for political point scoring
    - The treatment of the Whistleblowers as "rats" by their supposed friends and colleagues right up to Commissioner and Ministerial/Government level
    - Thuggery like has been shown on this latest video
    - A general lazy apathetic approach to the job

If those Gardai who do take the job seriously (and they do exist) were a bit more forthcoming about their colleagues who engage in the above (which are far from random isolated incidents unfortunately), then maybe they might have a better public image and more respect for them - which is earned, not given away.

Until then such behaviour just tarnishes AGS as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

According to her interview on the radio. She'll be making a complaint today everyone will be pleased to know.

He should lose his job. But with corruption and incompetence rampant throughout the force, I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

She was just on the radio saying one of the gardai saved her life and that the load bang was his knee hitting the bollard that's why he is bent over at the end and she may follow up with a complaint

I do think the third Garda should have stayed out of it he went OTT but she did have to be removed but the first two gardai had it under control

rusty cole wrote: »
    I entirely agree with you, some posters have an air of arrogance as if anyone who refuses to pay must have been or still are, living beyond their means. your post is very honest and heartfelt, it should give most people perspective and others pause for thought. I certainly will not pay I can tell you that, and I have and always have had, a very modest low maintenance life style!

To be honest all I see people objecting to now are these violent protests that are happening.

No-one has said, that I can see, that IW are in the right nor that anyone refusing to pay is a waster or living beyond their means etc.

But the way people are acting out their anger is thuggery and it's just wrong.

I can understand completely that this is last straw for many, but there are ways of showing your anger without acting like animals.

dav3 wrote: »
    According to her interview on the radio. She'll be making a complaint today everyone will be pleased to know.

He should lose his job. But with corruption and incompetence rampant throughout the force, I won't hold my breath.

He should lose his job for doing is job?

The mind boggles.

To be honest all I see people objecting to now are these violent protests that are happening.

No-one has said, that I can see, that IW are in the right nor that anyone refusing to pay is a waster or living beyond their means etc.

But the way people are acting out their anger is thuggery and it's just wrong.

I can understand completely that this is last straw for many, but there are ways of showing your anger without acting like animals.

Agreed.. but that applies to all sides of the dispute too.

tigger123 wrote: »

That or he has a chip on his shoulder regarding them. Maybe he had a run in with one?

Daith wrote: »
    Surely it's up to the woman to make a complaint though and follow our actual process?

Well that's up to the woman. Just because there is no complaint does not make it right. A lot of people won't get to the stage of making a formal complaint. A lot feel it is a waste of time and move on. I think there is a stigma the world over where people think police protect their own. Unfortunately there is some truth to that.

Anyways.... Bedtime for me.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Agreed.. but that applies to all sides of the dispute too.

And no-where have I ever said any different in fairness.

Nope. I live in the US.

And to Audrey. My only dealings with Garda have been in a professional manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The lady in question just interviewed on radio 1., gist of her story is she never hit the bollard. Another guard intervened when he saw her head was heading for the bollard, using his knee - thus deflecting her fall - a brave action IMO. The bang that was heard was the guards knee hitting the bollard according to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

dav3 wrote: »

Leave out the bit praising one of the gardai anyway couldn't mention that....... She has a right to complain one of the gardai went OTT but as SHE said one of the gardai injured himself to save her but you can't mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've never once heard that phrase being used in these circles. It was excessive as in she was already restrained and did not need further restraint. She was being removed from the vicinity of the vehicle by the other 2 officers without need for further assistance. There was no need to be slammed to the ground at that point. And if you come to the conclusion that there was, as an officer of the law, I believey your aactions should be called into question.

Where are you an officer of the law? Are you a member of the Guards? For all i know you are a security guard in a shopping mall.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/watch-moment-female-water-charge-4640902

@6 seconds she is right next to the car, This is the leader of the country and she has no business being where she is, I don't like Enda Kenny one bit but i don't care, any other country and she would have had ben shot dead on the spot.

@7 seconds the 2nd uniformed guard AND the guard in the hi viz vest both move in to restrain her

@8 seconds BOTH gardai shove her towards the pavement, the fact the bollard is there is not their fault and again if she wasn't trying to break the law she wouldn't have got hurt.

Nope. I live in the US.

And to Audrey. My only dealings with Garda have been in a professional manner.

And yet you accuse them of being unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Again with the dramatics.

The Gardai were doing their job. Should they have left that poor innocent little woman sitting on the Minister's car?

Like I said she could have had anything in her hand to use, or on her mind to do.

They did their job, she was in the wrong, plain and simple.

ok lets just take that point for a second ,And believe it to be true ..

Well if that was the case it makes them (GARDA) even worst at their job ! Because after their action ,, She is just left there ,not searched or not restrained nothing ,So she was free to use "anything " in her hand or carry out "whatever" was on her mind.

If she was seen as such a threat ,that deserved that respond / action
    Surely it should have been completed to a professional end , ie the threat under control and in custody.
    Instead of been just thrown to the side and left there

That or he has a chip on his shoulder regarding them. Maybe he had a run in with one?

OK. So because I disagree with your assessment I have be filed in one of 2 categories? I have a chip on my shoulder? Or I had a run in with them?

I'm now federal and my 'run in' with them was professional. I have no need for bias. I'm probably going out on a limb by stating that I probably have more insight into being in the same situation as the Garda than you do. And from my walk in life and experience I would not have slammed the woman to the ground if I was the 3rd Garda. I have no issue with how the other 2 restrained her.

Enough on this. I gave my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

USC was reduced in the budget from 2% to 1.5%. On the basis off what you have earned that will save you 50 per year. If all the talk about figures are to be believed they say we will be paying 75 per household after rebates etc. The net impact for you is therefore 25 euro per year or below 7 cent per day.

USC should never have to have been paid in the first place. And you're full of ****, everyone knows the price will increase year on year after they get everyone signed up and registered

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A little forceful :pac: It was assault plain and simple. The Gardaí should rightfully be losing his job and brought into court. A thug is a thug.

She was on the radio this morning praising one of those gaurds who she said 'saved her life'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

sjb25 wrote: »
    Leave out the bit praising one of the gardai anyway couldn't mention that....... She has a right to complain one of the gardai went OTT but as SHE said one of the gardai injured himself to save her but you can't mention that

We were discussing the mutton head that used excessive force to push a woman into a bollard. Clearly no respect for women.

When people say 'you join the Gardai because you're not intelligent enough to get a real job', I'm starting to believe they may have a point.

Now, time for work to pay for their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

With regard to the incident outside the Mansion House where that protestor was pushed by the Garda. She was attempting to get to the leader of the Government. She may not have had malicious intentions towards Enda's health but the Gardai unfortunately (or fortunately) can't read minds. Try an action like that in the US or Russia and see what kind of treatment you would get?

I support the protests but people putting themselves into situations like she did are asking for trouble and the Gardai have to react to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They already said they don't live here, so I doubt it .

Yourself?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement