Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

And yet you accuse them of being unprofessional.

Them? One Garda I believe I have focused on.

Great and assertive leadership by Kenny :confused:

"They have a sinister agenda......I just have got the balls to come out and say what I think that agenda is....."

Inspiring stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OK. So because I disagree with your assessment I have be filed in one of 2 categories? I have a chip on my shoulder? Or I had a run in with them?

I'm now federal and my 'run in' with them was professional. I have no need for bias. I'm probably going out on a limb by stating that I probably have more insight into being in the same situation as the Garda than you do. And from my walk in life and experience I would not have slammed the woman to the ground if I was the 3rd Garda. I have no issue with how the other 2 restrained her.

Enough on this. I gave my view.

There's no need to get on your high horse about it. Being in law enforcement doesn't necessarily mean you are right.

How would this situation have been dealt with if it was in America, and it was Obama in the car? And don't try to tell me the woman would have politely asked to move, she wouldn't have. More likely she'd have shot at on the spot.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see anything wrong with some-one who has jumped on top of a head of state's car being removed. But that's just my opinion.

It's worth noting though that the woman herself says she wasn't actually thrown against anything, it was Garda that hit the bollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

dav3 wrote: »
    We were discussing the mutton head that used excessive force to push a woman into a bollard. Clearly no respect for women.

When people say 'you join the Gardai because you're not intelligent enough to get a real job', I'm starting to believe they may have a point.

Now, time for work to pay for their wages.

Fair enough I agree that guy in the hi vis was not required and shouldn't of done what he did but all a lot of people are doing is giving out about the gardai maybe a bit of praise for the gaurd who hurt himself to save her head would be nice to hear from people the lady herself was able to do it in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

You're right

The guard should have calmly asked her if she wouldn't mind awfully just moving a few feet to the left so the leader of the countries car could pass.:rolleyes:

Truth is she tried to jump in front of his car to stop it, she could have been hurt doing that but no one seems to be pointing that out and then of course if she had been hit by the car she would have gone down like she had been pole axed and even if uninjured insisted on not being moved until an ambulance arrived.

I don't know why the guards even entertain these protesters, Shut off any close access to politicians when out in public. You want to protest when Kenny/Burton et al are making an appearance then fine, you can do it from the end of the street and if anyone tries to jump in front of ministerial cars again the drivers should be told not to stop.

:D

Republic of Ireland is best republic.
    Open best re-education camps for Rambo gardai

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote: »
    We were discussing the mutton head that used excessive force to push a woman into a bollard. Clearly no respect for women.

When people say 'you join the Gardai because you're not intelligent enough to get a real job', I'm starting to believe they may have a point.

Now, time for work to pay for their wages.

Rubbish. The woman herself says it was the Garda that hit the bollard not her. In fact she says he stopped her head from hitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You know when you try telling someone something but they don't listen, and then you try again but they still don't listen so you try again and again but they still don't listen and eventually you lose the head and grab the cünt by the shoulders and give them a good shake....they usually start listening then. Enda still isn't listening. He'd want to fücking start or he'll get a harder shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

There's no need to get on your high horse about it. Being in law enforcement doesn't necessarily mean you are right.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see anything wrong with some-one who has jumped on top of a head of state's car being removed. But that's just my opinion.

It's worth noting though that the woman herself says she wasn't actually thrown against anything, it was Garda that hit the bollard.

I'm not on any high horse. I just said that to highlight that I have been in split second decision making situations. Something which civilians may not be in on a regular basis to the same effect.

And I never once said she was thrown into anything. I said slammed. And by that I mean knocked after a charge.

And just to make clear. Yes I think anyone going near a head of state's vehicle warrants immediate response. Which in my view was done correctly until the point the 3rd officer felt the need to intervene. It's only that action that I point out as what I think is excessive. If you have a different view. Well I guess that's fair enough. It's how life works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

They already said they don't live here, so I doubt it .

Yourself?

He described himself as a law enforcement professional, I was just curious. No need to be pissy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Daroxtar wrote: »
    He'd want to fücking start or he'll get a harder shaking.

Oooh .... Ominous!

Bullet in the mail time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Rubbish. The woman herself says it was the Garda that hit the bollard not her. In fact she says he stopped her head from hitting it.

So the Garda in the hi vis not only endangered the protestor but his actions resulted in the injury of a fellow Garda.
    Also looking at the video its more down to luck that he saved her head hitting the bollard that any form of quick thinking hero type action IMHO.

I'm not on any high horse. I just said that to highlight that I have been in split second decision making situations. Something which civilians may not be in on a regular basis to the same effect.

And I never once said she was thrown into anything. I said slammed. And by that I mean knocked after a charge.

And just to make clear. Yes I think anyone going near a head of state's vehicle warrants immediate response. Which in my view was done correctly until the point the 3rd officer felt the need to intervene. It's only that action that I point out as what I think is excessive. If you have a different view. Well I guess that's fair enough. It's how life works.

Whether knocked or slammed the point still stands. It was not the woman it happened to but the Garda who was protecting her from injury and it would be nice if that were acknowledged.

Your point about split second decisions....I think this is what this incident came down to. The Gardai had seconds, as they saw it, to decide what to do about the woman and they chose to remove her with some force.

They did their job, nothing more. A little bit forceful perhaps but as you say it was a snap decision.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    So the Garda in the hi vis not only endangered the protestor but his actions resulted in the injury of a fellow Garda.
    Also looking at the video its more down to luck that he saved her head hitting the bollard that any form of quick thinking hero type action IMHO.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

If the woman herself can acknowledge what he did though, we should all be able to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

tigger123 wrote: »
    He described himself as a law enforcement professional, I was just curious. No need to be pissy about it.

Jeez.

You're a touchy one, where was I being pissy?

You asked was someone a gard, I asked if you were one......

tigger123 wrote: »

Indeed, law enforcement could be anything from Obama's secret service to a mall security guard.

Nothing wrong with curiosity.

Jeez.

You're a touchy one, where was I being pissy?

You asked was someone a gard, I asked if you were one......

I think it might have been the way you asked that was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Oooh .... Ominous!

Bullet in the mail time?

Who'd waste a bullet on the cünt?
    I'd far rather see him lose his seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Whether knocked or slammed the point still stands. It was not the woman it happened to but the Garda who was protecting her from injury and it would be nice if that were acknowledged.

Your point about split second decisions....I think this is what this incident came down to. The Gardai had seconds, as they saw it, to decide what to do about the woman and they chose to remove her with some force.

They did their job, nothing more. A little bit forceful perhaps but as you say it was a snap decision.

would they not have had a pre-determined strategy for removing people from a car in this type of situation?

they need to get themselves on to you tube if a protester trying to block a car is an unforeseen and unplanned for situtation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Can we protest against protesting?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Who'd waste a bullet on the cünt?
    I'd far rather see him lose his seat

Well, Mayo will decide in 18 months time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Simple question

You are on duty and Obama's car is going by and this woman does what she did, What would you have done? What would other cops in the area have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I want a peaceful protest, I dont want violence, I dont want this cause to be lost in anarchy - but I can also understand people have finally snapped. The public revolt to Water Charges seems shocking because we have done NO revolting in the last 6 years.

This seems like nothing compared to anti austerity demonstrations in Greece, Spain and regular demonstrations in France.
    What country recently were ministers dumped into skips on their way out of Parliament????? Can you see the shock if that was done here??? We do nothing by comparison here - we have been so meek and subservient that NOW Enda is shocked - finally!

I earn €208 a week on a CE Scheme after losing a job in banking.
    I pay USC, TV Licence, Car tax, bin charges, all my utilities, Property Tax. I insure my house and car. I buy food to live. I cut and colour my own hair. I never buy new clothes. I simply cant pay any more charges.
    I also cry most nights because I'm stressed and worried all the time about money. I want a proper paid job again. I am experienced and well qualified but I cant get one.
    I cant afford this Christmas when my kids return from the countries they emigrated to. I feel sick.

I fundamentally agree with paying for a commodity like water but if Enda wants us to pay then scrap USC!!!

I am tired of listening to people who actually can pay for water telling others here to just shut up and pay again. Live my life for one day and try it.

Just catching on the new thread.

Wanted to wish you all the luck in the world sweetmaggie .
    Sincerely hope things improve for you !

Hold your head high , stay positive!

It maybe be raining right now , but high above those clouds the sun IS shining and it will shine for you and the people of Ireland again soon.

You can feel the change in the air , i personally feel that Sligo was the a turning point and people can not wait till Dec10th

Remember Remember the 10th of December. It will be a great day for Ireland and its people.

Stargate wrote: »
    Remember Remember the 10th of December. It will be a great day for Ireland and its people.

Indeed.

Ireland stands up & opposes a small tax increase, oblivious & mute regarding the larger ones implemented in the past 5 years & yet to come.

We are an odd people in our priorities.

The Garda have a long track record of using wildly excessive force in crowd situations, for instance does anyone remember the day they thumped seven shades of sh*te out of a bunch of emo teenagers a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I think it might have been the way you asked that was the problem.

What was wrong with the way I asked it :confused:

Nope. I live in the US.

How do you think the secret service would react to someone blocking/ running towards Obama's car?
    I'm not sure they would take the time to look around for metal bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

ROCKMAN wrote: »

At the speed it all happened , there's not a cat chance in hell he deliberately saved her head making contact with the pillar . It was a fluke !

Young lady is very fortunate tbh.

bubblypop wrote: »
    How do you think the secret service would react to someone blocking/ running towards Obama's car?
    I'm not sure they would take the time to look around for metal bollards.

Well someone broke into the White House after breaking through secret service defences, and armed with "Spyderco VG-10 black folding knife”

He was handled less severely that the woman who touched Edna's car:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/30/intruder-in-white-house-details-sept-1-security-breach/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Irish Times.

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny said anti-water charges protesters in Sligo last night showed “scant regard” for the safety of women and children.

The Taoiseach said: “Democracy is for everybody. Certainly in Sligo last night they showed scant regard for women or children who were there.”

Kenny has lost the plot,he is cracking and
    exposing his contempt for ordinary people.

Scant regard for women and children Enda?

Tell that to hundreds of homeless women and children, thousands lying on emergency trolleys.

• Advertisement

I for one am sick of how this and every other protest seems to be anti garda.
    I thought protestors were anti water charges?

If these were genuine peaceful protests, people would appreciate the fact that gardai are doing their job. They have to do as they are detailed.
    Gardai have been hit hard over the last, few years, do people really think they want to defend the people who are going to charge them more money?

They do their job no matter who is in government. There's not too many want to pay more bills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement