Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

shinzon wrote: »
    Ballygowan isn't charging 260 euro a year for water (less a 100 euro rebate which you have to wait till next year to get) and god knows what when the cap is lifted

Shin

You said water should not be a commodity. Perhaps you would like to withdraw or clarify that statement?
    gladrags wrote: »
    Worthless,pointless.

No perspective

No alternitaves.

Next.?

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

'A disturbing trend in the water sector is accelerating worldwide. The new “water barons” — the Wall Street banks and elitist multibillionaires — are buying up water all over the world at unprecedented pace.

Familiar mega-banks and investing powerhouses such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Macquarie Bank, Barclays Bank, the Blackstone Group, Allianz, and HSBC Bank, among others, are consolidating their control over water. Wealthy tycoons such as T. Boone Pickens, former President George H.W. Bush and his family, Hong Kong’s Li Ka-shing, Philippines’ Manuel V. Pangilinan and other Filipino billionaires, and others are also buying thousands of acres of land with aquifers, lakes, water rights, water utilities, and shares in water engineering and technology companies all over the world.

The second disturbing trend is that while the new water barons are buying up water all over the world, governments are moving fast to limit citizens’ ability to become water self-sufficient (as evidenced by the well-publicized Gary Harrington’s case in Oregon, in which the state criminalized the collection of rainwater in three ponds located on his private land, by convicting him on nine counts and sentencing him for 30 days in jail). Let’s put this criminalization in perspective:

Billionaire T. Boone Pickens owned more water rights than any other individuals in America, with rights over enough of the Ogallala Aquifer to drain approximately 200,000 acre-feet (or 65 billion gallons of water) a year. But ordinary citizen Gary Harrington cannot collect rainwater runoff on 170 acres of his private land.

It’s a strange New World Order in which multibillionaires and elitist banks can own aquifers and lakes, but ordinary citizens cannot even collect rainwater and snow runoff in their own backyards and private lands.

“Water is the oil of the 21st century.” Andrew Liveris, CEO of DOW Chemical Company (quoted in The Economist magazine'

The reason why enda wont hold a referendum on the sale of IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Im impressed i didnt think you would even be aware of who the risers were,The lack of knowledge you have shown regarding irish matters thus far has astounded me good chap.

Says the poster who cannot (or most likely, chooses not to) distinguish between European banking debt (in the billions) and legacy debt (in the trillions).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

You said water should not be a commodity. Perhaps you would like to withdraw or clarify that statement?

fine the water out of the tap shouldn't be bought and sold as a commodity, I would have thought youd have a modicum of sense to know that's what I meant but obviously not seens as I have to spell it out for you

Shin

know that's what I meant

I'm afraid that's easier said than done.

You like so many others here seem to think that writing like a chimp with a broken keyboard is in any way decipherable.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »

You like so many others here seem to think that writing like a chimp with a broken keyboard is in any way decipherable.

Widely insulting statements is a sign of social rejection.

You are right to feel that way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

fine the water out of the tap shouldn't be bought and sold as a commodity, I would have thought youd have a modicum of sense to know that's what I meant but obviously not seens as I have to spell it out for you

Shin

Do you have to sign off with shin after each post!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Pocoyo wrote: »
    'A disturbing trend in the water sector is accelerating worldwide. The new “water barons” — the Wall Street banks and elitist multibillionaires — are buying up water all over the world at unprecedented pace.

Familiar mega-banks and investing powerhouses such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Macquarie Bank, Barclays Bank, the Blackstone Group, Allianz, and HSBC Bank, among others, are consolidating their control over water. Wealthy tycoons such as T. Boone Pickens, former President George H.W. Bush and his family, Hong Kong’s Li Ka-shing, Philippines’ Manuel V. Pangilinan and other Filipino billionaires, and others are also buying thousands of acres of land with aquifers, lakes, water rights, water utilities, and shares in water engineering and technology companies all over the world.

The second disturbing trend is that while the new water barons are buying up water all over the world, governments are moving fast to limit citizens’ ability to become water self-sufficient (as evidenced by the well-publicized Gary Harrington’s case in Oregon, in which the state criminalized the collection of rainwater in three ponds located on his private land, by convicting him on nine counts and sentencing him for 30 days in jail). Let’s put this criminalization in perspective:

Billionaire T. Boone Pickens owned more water rights than any other individuals in America, with rights over enough of the Ogallala Aquifer to drain approximately 200,000 acre-feet (or 65 billion gallons of water) a year. But ordinary citizen Gary Harrington cannot collect rainwater runoff on 170 acres of his private land.

It’s a strange New World Order in which multibillionaires and elitist banks can own aquifers and lakes, but ordinary citizens cannot even collect rainwater and snow runoff in their own backyards and private lands.

“Water is the oil of the 21st century.” Andrew Liveris, CEO of DOW Chemical Company (quoted in The Economist magazine'

The reason why enda wont hold a referendum on the sale of IW.

No, I heard it's about conservation.

People who support this insanity really need to wake up.

Valetta wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Nothing in the quoted post intimated that all protesters are unemployed.

This..

"It is curious that when USC came in and all the other charges on work these people were silent"

No, I heard it's about conservation.

People who support this insanity really need to wake up.

Its all about the 'blue gold' brother,

I fear many prefer to loath their own countrymen rather than supporting them by reading up on the facts.

• Advertisement

This..

"It is curious that when USC came in and all the other charges on work these people were silent"

Yeah, I still don't see it. Care to explain?

Yeah, I still don't see it. Care to explain?

Saying that "these people" were silent when taxes came in which only effect working people, is to suggest that they are not working people, ie. unemployed.

Shows your complete lack of intelligence then and im sorry for you

Shin

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Do you have to sign off with shin after each post!!??

Yes next question

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Yes next question

Shin

No bother, was just asking!!

As you were..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

It's this type of shíte that comprehensively undermines any prospect of this becoming a popular, meaningful movement.

At least you know there is a need for change.

For sick children,nationally.

Succesive so called governments,ignored
    mass sexual abuse,for decades.

Fact.

gladrags wrote: »
    At least you know there is a need for change.

For sick children,nationally.

Succesive so called governments,ignored
    mass sexual abuse,for decades.

Fact.

:confused:

Awarding winning documentary 'blue gold'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/water-giants-make-2billion-profit-4703371
    anyone else see the reports In English newspapers last week about the private water companies making over 2 BILLION in profits and only paying 73 million in tax?

And you still think IW has not been set up by tax payers money, only to be sold off For penny's on the pound to someone to make a shed load of money. It's got nothing to do with wasting(or saving) water. It's all about making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Of course they don't leave "taps, showers, baths and hoses on 24/7"

But if people have no incentive to conserve, the majority won't.

If they can waste water without any consequences, most people won't bother conserving water

That's human nature

Sure what the heck, it's falling from the sky, it's not costing me anything..
    And the conservation argument again which is completely meaningless now theres a flat charge so the argument is moot and nonsense at this stage

Shin

It was completely meaningless before as it was said that the price was going to be upped is people did conserve and Irish Water's margins weren't met.

The conservation angle has always been bunkum.

• Advertisement

deco nate wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the reports In English newspapers last week about the private water companies making over 2 BILLION in profits and only paying 73 million in tax?

And you still think IW has not been set up by tax payers money, only to be sold off For penny's on the pound to someone to make a shed load of money. It's got nothing to do with wasting(or saving) water. It's all about making money.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support and speculation that Irish Water is to be privatised. Not one single bit. The only party that has even indicated any desire to do so is Sf and they rowed back on that fairly fast. The last time it was done was Eircom and that was such a disaster it's not even an appealing prospect. Even the M50 was brought back out of privatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's not about the right to protest, it's about the methods used. Leaving the violence aside, the campaign to harass ministers everywhere they go is pretty undemocratic.

What bollocks.

A couple of minor instances from hundreds of thousands of people.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Did anyone else see the reports In English newspapers last week about the private water companies making over 2 BILLION in profits and only paying 73 million in tax?

I didn't see this. There was a piece a few weeks ago that was linked in another forum, about water and privatisation and it mentioned London and Thames (spelling?) and how privatisation of water doesn't work and that there are governments around the world looking at taking back the water supply. I'll see if I can root it up sometime.

Tony EH wrote: »
    What bollocks.

A couple of minor instances from hundreds of thousands of people.

:rolleyes:

The "violence" and the "riot" are fact now. Despite there being no violence or riots, these words are trotted out routinely now by the pro-charges side.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support and speculation that Irish Water is to be privatised. Not one single bit. The only party that has even indicated any desire to do so is Sf and they rowed back on that fairly fast. The last time it was done was Eircom and that was such a disaster it's not even an appealing prospect. Even the M50 was brought back out of privatisation.
    You do know thier Is nothing stopping the government from selling IW off, Yea?

Of course it will be privatised, that is the whole point of this charade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Valetta wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Nothing in the quoted post intimated that all protesters are unemployed.

This part.
    It is curious that when USC came in and all the other charges on work these people were silent. But because so many of the more thuggish elements don't work water charges actually hits them for once.

After reading for awhile you begin to be able to guess what will be said as soon as you see the name attached to it.

I didn't see this. There was a piece a few weeks ago that was linked in another forum, about water and privatisation and it mentioned London and Thames (spelling?) and how privatisation of water doesn't work and that there are governments around the world looking at taking back the water supply. I'll see if I can root it up sometime.
    It was also a big segment on sky news at the time, I'll look for a link

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/water-giants-make-2billion-profit-4703371

Ok, didn't take long to find, enjoy the read folks :)

(the cost of water rising so much makes for scary reading)

• Advertisement

You do know thier Is nothing stopping the government from selling IW off, Yea?

There's nothing stopping you jumping in front of a bus. Doesn't mean we should stop all buses in case you do. No party has shown any desire to sell off Irish Water. It would not benefit them to do so in any way.
    Of course it will be privatised, that is the whole point of this charade.

In your opinion only. There's nothing at all to support it yet you state it as fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement