Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Whether knocked or slammed the point still stands. It was not the woman it happened to but the Garda who was protecting her from injury and it would be nice if that were acknowledged.

Your point about split second decisions....I think this is what this incident came down to. The Gardai had seconds, as they saw it, to decide what to do about the woman and they chose to remove her with some force.

They did their job, nothing more. A little bit forceful perhaps but as you say it was a snap decision.

I remember having a discussion with you on another thread a long long time ago (on a phone, can't link) about homeowners defending their homes.

You suggested that a homeowner should restrain an intruder rather than remove him/her IIRC.

Yet here you completely absolve the third Garda of barrelling into the already restrained woman as it was a snap decision.

She was no longer a threat. Two Gardai had her restrained, quite peacefully, then the incredible bulk ran in front of the car, blocking it more so than the lady in question, and steamrollered her.

One of the other Gardai reacted, quickly and professionally, to stop her head from hitting the bollard. Presumably this is the Garda who doubles over in pain at the end of the video.

The Garda in high vis lost the head and was out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

gladrags wrote: »
    Irish Times.

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny said anti-water charges protesters in Sligo last night showed “scant regard” for the safety of women and children.

The Taoiseach said: “Democracy is for everybody. Certainly in Sligo last night they showed scant regard for women or children who were there.”

Kenny has lost the plot,he is cracking and
    exposing his contempt for ordinary people.

Scant regard for women and children Enda?

Tell that to hundreds of homeless women and children, thousands lying on emergency trolleys,the
    Tell

Can you put up your link for the thousands of homeless women and children and thousands lying on trolleys.

Their is roughly 100 people sleeping rough every night in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I saw this in the paper last night.. The headline was huge and printed across two pages. Very dramatic.

Joan Burton hit in face with water balloon and terrorised by city mob

A more accurate headline would be "Joan Burton splashed in the back of her neck with kids water balloon, as protestors become more frustrated".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Irish Times.

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny said anti-water charges protesters in Sligo last night showed “scant regard” for the safety of women and children.

The Taoiseach said: “Democracy is for everybody. Certainly in Sligo last night they showed scant regard for women or children who were there.”

Kenny has lost the plot,he is cracking and
    exposing his contempt for ordinary people.

Scant regard for women and children Enda?

Tell that to hundreds of homeless women and children, thousands lying on emergency trolleys,the
    Tell

LoL at Kenny saying the protesters said they wouldn't block the road :D

Yeah right just like you kept your promises Enda ! Utter hypocrite .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Great picture of a garda eh, restraining, an old man over the bonnet of the car while the driver laughs in the indo with that story

.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/taoiseach-accuses-protesters-of-having-scant-disregard-for-safety-of-women-and-children-30753205.html

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    I saw this in the paper last night.. The headline was huge and printed across two pages. Very dramatic.

Joan Burton hit in face with water balloon and terrorised by city mob

A more accurate headline would be "Joan Burton splashed in the back of her neck with kids water balloon, as protestors become more frustrated".

I would consider being falsely imprisoned for a couple of hours, in a car , being rocked & shaken, while a huge amount of people were outside screaming at me, to be terrorising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Pedro K wrote: »
    I remember having a discussion with you on another thread a long long time ago (on a phone, can't link) about homeowners defending their homes.

You suggested that a homeowner should restrain an intruder rather than remove him/her IIRC.

Yet here you completely absolve the third Garda of barrelling into the already restrained woman as it was a snap decision.

She was no longer a threat. Two Gardai had her restrained, quite peacefully, then the incredible bulk ran in front of the car, blocking it more so than the lady in question, and steamrollered her.

One of the other Gardai reacted, quickly and professionally, to stop her head from hitting the bollard. Presumably this is the Garda who doubles over in pain at the end of the video.

The Garda in high vis lost the head and was out of order.

I'm not absolving him of anything, I did say it in several places it was a bit forceful. But again she did not get thrown into a bollard, he was the one that hit it.

I was only making the point that he did have remove her, it was his job and regardless of your feelings towards our elected leader he has the right to be protected the same as any other head of state.

The Gardai had no idea what that woman might have done, they had to act.

What was wrong with the way I asked it :confused:

It was a bit antagonistic tbh.

Or that's how it came across. You may not have meant it that way.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I would consider being falsely imprisoned for a couple of hours, in a car , being rocked & shaken, while a huge amount of people were outside screaming at me, to be terrorising.

It's as if people think that when you go into politics you are fair game for bullying and intimidation.

I really worry for this country sometimes.

How do you think the secret service would react to someone blocking/ running towards Obama's car?
    I'm not sure they would take the time to look around for metal bollards.

And they certainly wouldn't jump in front of you to make sure you didn't hit one when they threw you off his car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

bjork wrote: »
    Great picture of a garda eh, restraining, an old man over the bonnet of the car while the driver laughs in the indo with that story

.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/taoiseach-accuses-protesters-of-having-scant-disregard-for-safety-of-women-and-children-30753205.html

Hardly laughing ffs more a bemused look on his face

It's as if people think that when you go into politics you are fair game for bullying and intimidation.

It's as if some people go into politics and forget who they are supposed to be working for, who voted for them.

I really worry for this Country sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

I consider 6 years of sustained austerity terrorising also

Allyall wrote: »
    It's as if some people go into politics and forget who they are supposed to be working for, who voted for them.

I really worry for this Country sometimes.

You're right some of them do, I don't deny that.

That's no excuse for people to be acting like animals though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

The lady in question just interviewed on radio 1., gist of her story is she never hit the bollard. Another guard intervened when he saw her head was heading for the bollard, using his knee - thus deflecting her fall - a brave action IMO. The bang that was heard was the guards knee hitting the bollard according to her.

Wow! I saw in the video, only briefly a garda rubbing his knee or holding it. Well done to him. It is very admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

You're right some of them do, I don't deny that.

That's no excuse for people to be acting like animals though.

Pigs at the trough, disgusting animals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I for one am sick of how this and every other protest seems to be anti garda.
    I thought protestors were anti water charges?

If these were genuine peaceful protests, people would appreciate the fact that gardai are doing their job. They have to do as they are detailed.
    Gardai have been hit hard over the last, few years, do people really think they want to defend the people who are going to charge them more money?

They do their job no matter who is in government. There's not too many want to pay more bills.

I went to my local protest a few weeks ago. I am not anti garda. Stop lumping us all into the one bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Can you put up your link for the thousands of homeless women and children and thousands lying on trolleys.

Are you on the same planet as Enda?

"Peter McVerry Trust is an organisation that works with homeless youths and many others on the margins of Irish society deals on a daily basis with the failure by the State to provide for ESC rights. The majority of those with whom we work experienced homelessness not by chance, but because of the failure of the State to protect their rights. Simply put, the barriers which they faced in accessing education, employment, health care and adequate housing has led to many people experiencing homelessness.

In the absence of legal means by which to hold the State to account, individuals and charities are left to compete against one another to make their human rights issue a political priority. Even today, the fight against homelessness is relatively high on the list of political priorities yet there are over 5,000 people who are homeless in the State – with more people being added to the list on a daily basis. The vast majority of those who experience homelessness are provided with shelter but do not have security, privacy and a platform from which they can fully participate in society. They are disenfranchised and face barriers when seeking to access education, employment, healthcare and social security."

Source Peter McVerry trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Wow! I saw in the video, only briefly a hard a rubbing his knee or holding it. Well done to him. It is very admirable.

The blob in the hi-vis should have to answer for this though, without the other Guards quick thinking she wouldn't have fared well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It was a bit antagonistic tbh.

Or that's how it came across. You may not have meant it that way.

Fair enough, honestly didn't mean to come across as pissy.

• Advertisement

I think the real bullying and intimidation is being done by the politicians.

Pay the household charge or we will add surcharges and interest until we break you. All those other taxes you paid for down the years, including stamp duty? Well they were for nought.

Now, we will send in people to forcibly intrude on your property, and install water meters so that we can charge you for the same thing your taxes had paid for in the past.

What's next? Will they bring in an education tax to pay for the sh*tty education system? After all, it's a service, shouldn't people pay for it?

Fresh air tax?

hju6 wrote: »
    Pigs at the trough, disgusting animals

I'm not in the slightest condoning the politicians, or the protestors, I was just remarking on another herald/independent view on a story.

I can see, as I'm sure most can, the cráp a lot of people have had to deal with in the past 7+ years, and to them it seems never ending. This is the first time that anyone seems to have had enough.
    If I was on the receiving end of the shítty stick for 7 or so years, and eventually when the straw broke the camels back, the response was the one that came, I'm pretty sure I would be infuriated too. The frustration would be a lot to handle.
    Kennys tunnel vision will be his demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Are you on the same planet as Enda?

"Peter McVerry Trust is an organisation that works with homeless youths and many others on the margins of Irish society deals on a daily basis with the failure by the State to provide for ESC rights. The majority of those with whom we work experienced homelessness not by chance, but because of the failure of the State to protect their rights. Simply put, the barriers which they faced in accessing education, employment, health care and adequate housing has led to many people experiencing homelessness.

In the absence of legal means by which to hold the State to account, individuals and charities are left to compete against one another to make their human rights issue a political priority. Even today, the fight against homelessness is relatively high on the list of political priorities yet there are over 5,000 people who are homeless in the State – with more people being added to the list on a daily basis. The vast majority of those who experience homelessness are provided with shelter but do not have security, privacy and a platform from which they can fully participate in society. They are disenfranchised and face barriers when seeking to access education, employment, healthcare and social security."

Source Peter McVerry trust.
    They have a roof over their head paid for by the state.

There is a 100 people sleeping rough each night out of 5 million.

And your link for 1000s in trolleys?

I'm not saying it's right but they are been looked after in their situation.

I think the real bullying and intimidation is being done by the politicians.

Pay the household charge or we will add surcharges and interest until we break you. All those other taxes you paid for down the years, including stamp duty? Well they were for nought.

Now, we will send in people to forcibly intrude on your property, and install water meters so that we can charge you for the same thing your taxes had paid for in the past.

What's next? Will they bring in an education tax to pay for the sh*tty education system? After all, it's a service, shouldn't people pay for it?

Fresh air tax?

It's on both sides of the argument, and to deny this is delusional and wrong plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Hardly laughing ffs more a bemused look on his face

Perhaps, this is true. If only he was armed, he could have shot the protestor from the bonnet.

independent.ie/irish-news/politics/beefed-up-security-for-ministers-as-family-water-bills-now-down-to-160-30752835.html

A number of ministers may be assigned armed garda drivers as an "interim" measure as part of the overall review, security sources have revealed.

The latest estimate for patients lying on emergency trolley,is 7,000 nationally.

Why dont you have a look at the Stats ?

This is the tip of the iceberg.The health service is in chaos.

The cutbacks introduced by FG and Labour,have devastated essential services such as Special needs,Autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well the woman in the centre of the discussion about hitting the bollard speaks out:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-charges-protest-woman-intends-to-lodge-gsoc-complaint-651428.html

Nice to see the whole story for once.

Plus hopefully the GSOC will investigate this now that she complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How would this situation have been dealt with if it was in America, and it was Obama in the car? And don't try to tell me the woman would have politely asked to move, she wouldn't have. More likely she'd have shot at on the spot.

This bull**** again :o

Tell me, when is the last time that Secret Service or police opened fire at or shot someone trying to get close to a president.

Did they shoot the armed guy that managed to get into an elevator with Obama? Or the one that scaled a fence and ran into the Whitehouse?

Did they shoot the man that flung his shoes (which could have just as easily been grenades) at GW Bush?

No they didn't.

The guy that attacked Cameron a few weeks back wasn't even roughed up like the woman outside Mansion House.

Stop talking bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

bjork wrote: »
    Perhaps, this is true. If only he was armed, he could have shot the protestor from the bonnet.

independent.ie/irish-news/politics/beefed-up-security-for-ministers-as-family-water-bills-now-down-to-160-30752835.html

A number of ministers may be assigned armed garda drivers as an "interim" measure as part of the overall review, security sources have revealed.

I wouldn't have an issue with that

• Advertisement

They have a roof over their head paid for by the state.

There is a 100 people sleeping rough each night out of 5 million.

And your link for 1000s in trolleys?

I'm not saying it's right but they are been looked after in their situation.

Focus Ireland put the Homeless figure at 9,000.

You don't appear to be aware of the devastation out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement