Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

It must make you feel guilty, that while some people are homeless, you're trying to weasel out of paying your taxes and charges.

"Rent supplement and rent freezing wouldn’t make a difference to this man, but the Government’s failure to move on them means the entire homeless sector under enormous pressure."

Speaking on RTÉ News at One, Sister Stanislaus Kennedy of Focus Ireland, said it was an awful tragedy that someone would die in such terrible circumstances and so publicly.

"I think what it says to us that this man like so many others who are sleeping out are a sign of the failure of the state ... of the failure of the State in the past and in the present to offer them the support they needed to live independently."

Sr Kennedy said many people sleeping rough needed specific supports and help and enough is not being done to help them.

"The answer was not more emergency accommodation but providing more homes.

"The answer is making sure that people who are leaving the care of the State, whether that be in hospital or childcare or prisons, that they're not discharged into homelessness", she said. "

Rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

As it happens, I'm not a customer of Irish Water. I'm one of the 600,000 people already paying for a water supply. (Paying twice, going by your logic)

Then what exactly are you arguing about, your telling me to man up and then saying your not a customer of Irish Water and then saying your paying twice and thats by everyones logic including the government

do you even know what your on about at this stage

Shin

and ill keep linking this video till it might eventually sink in we already pay for water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

gladrags wrote: »
    "Rent supplement and rent freezing wouldn’t make a difference to this man, but the Government’s failure to move on them means the entire homeless sector under enormous pressure."

Speaking on RTÉ News at One, Sister Stanislaus Kennedy of Focus Ireland, said it was an awful tragedy that someone would die in such terrible circumstances and so publicly.

"I think what it says to us that this man like so many others who are sleeping out are a sign of the failure of the state ... of the failure of the State in the past and in the present to offer them the support they needed to live independently."

Sr Kennedy said many people sleeping rough needed specific supports and help and enough is not being done to help them.

"The answer is making sure that people who are leaving the care of the State, whether that be in hospital or childcare or prisons, that they're not discharged into homelessness", she said. "

Rte.ie

Just a question.

If a person came to Ireland with no job plans or somewhere to stay, should they be housed?

I just mean where do you draw the line, I think the government do a good job making sure people have accomadation.

I may be wrong but isn't there always somewhere be it emergency hostels etc to stay?

Now as I said I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

gladrags wrote: »

Speaking on RTÉ News at One, Sister Stanislaus Kennedy of Focus Ireland, said it was an awful tragedy that someone would die in such terrible circumstances and so publicly.

"The answer is making sure that people who are leaving the care of the State, whether that be in hospital or childcare or prisons, that they're not discharged into homelessness", she said. "

Rte.ie

Is mindlessly quoting news reports your defence mechanism for dealing with guilt or something?

Perhaps it avoids you having to ask yourself some tough questions on the wider impacts of failing to pay your contributions to society?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭PutDownArtist

The HSE, Social Welfare, Education, CIE, Irish Water.

Who could have guessed the latest addition to Ireland's state run/established family would be such a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

shinzon wrote: »
    Then what exactly are you arguing about, your telling me to man up and then saying your not a customer of Irish Water and then saying your paying twice and thats by everyones logic including the government

do you even know what your on about at this stage

Shin

and ill keep linking this video till it might eventually sink in we already pay for water

The Video is very clear (although annoying and made by someone with Windows Movie Maker while they were drinking some Dutch Gold)

At the moment we already pay 1.2 billion euros a year for water.

They want to move this out of General Taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Irish Water is being ordered by the Government to dramatically cut costs and reduce the number of staff transferred over from local authorities.
    The new board of Irish Water's parent company, Ervia, will be told to come up with a plan to reduce costs by 85m a year by 2020.
    "There will no political constraints on whatever cost reduction plan the Ervia board come up with, as long as it delivers on the job of fixing the network. If a voluntary redundancy scheme is needed for excess local authority workers, then the Government is willing to fund it," a Government source said.

Who could have guessed the latest addition to Ireland's state run/established family would be such a disaster.

There is a pattern there alright, a pattern that some people are more than happy to accept because they are afraid of the unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Irish Water is being ordered by the Government to dramatically cut costs and reduce the number of staff transferred over from local authorities.
    The new board of Irish Water's parent company, Ervia, will be told to come up with a plan to reduce costs by 85m a year by 2020.
    "There will no political constraints on whatever cost reduction plan the Ervia board come up with, as long as it delivers on the job of fixing the network. If a voluntary redundancy scheme is needed for excess local authority workers, then the Government is willing to fund it," a Government source said.

Spin in the hope suckers will sign up in their droves. "Look we are changing" but at the same time it's all about getting it over the line for privatisation in the future.

Thank god the middle classes are intelligent enough to see it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Not knowing the final cost of the setup (not that itll be around much longer anyways) if im reading this right the total they want to save is 513 million by 2020, so what about the rest of the setup costs they just going to forget about that

Shin

• Advertisement

watch how the pro-IW folks don't reply to this...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Any sign of them hammering down the details on this 'rebate'?

Billing begins in 3 months...

I've got a feeling it will require you to give them your PPS number so it can be applied via tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Caliden wrote: »
    Any sign of them hammering down the details on this 'rebate'?

Billing begins in 3 months...

I've got a feeling it will require you to give them your PPS number so it can be applied via tax credits.

It's not going to be setup till Sept at the earliest. Afaik you have to apply to the Dept of Social Protection and you would have needed to pay your IW bills (you'd probably have paid three bills by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

You will pay.

I wont. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Man up

grow up
    pay your fair share

whats his fair share. he shouldn't pay one cent
    don't be a sponger!

not paying to a quango headed by failed wasters who have failed time and time again does not make one a sponger. but you'l pay whatever you're told even if it ends up being pissed down the drain, so good luck to you. enjoy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Pay your water charges and there will be more state funds for elsewhere.

yeah. they're won't

Also amazing that so many seem to think that the setting up of a large and complex utility like Irish Water can somehow how be done with no cost and without consultants or outside expertise.
    nobody thinks that. having failures at the head of it who have failed time and time again in their previous rolls on the other hand

Sorry, I didn't read the mirror this morning, I ran out of Toilet Paper.

It appears the Mirror did the 'analysis' themselves, but they seem to have conveniently left out where they got any of these figures from.

Also the only other news source I can find is an AOL Money Article that references the Mirror article.

Also why have they not privatised and sold Bord Gais Networks and Eirgrid ?

Eirgrid has been around for 13 years and hasn't been sold.

If this was the norm it would have happened already.
    selling off airgrid would be a huge disaster. as for the paracitic private water companies mentioned in the articles from the poster you quoted, wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

It must make you feel guilty, that while some people are homeless, you're trying to weasel out of paying your taxes and charges.
    good for him. he's right. why should he pay charges he can't afford to keep you're friends like the former leader of sligo county council in another job and pension

Is mindlessly quoting news reports your defence mechanism for dealing with guilt or something?

Perhaps it avoids you having to ask yourself some tough questions on the wider impacts of failing to pay your contributions to society?
    he pays his contributions to society. income tax, PRSI and the rest. charges to a utility company aren't a contribution to society and therefore have no impacts apart from ensuring the failures heading it have less of a pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

:pac:
    Chucken wrote: »
    I wont. :)

Oh you will.

Maybe not in time to avoid the late payment fees and interest, but you'll pay all right.

What's more, your late payment will ensure that right-thinking members of society that don't try to weasel out of their taxes and charges ultimately have to pay less- and that's a good thing.

I fondly remember the HHC thread - that was full of internet hardmen, all bluff and bluster about what they'd tell the Judge if they got brought to court on non-payment charges.

Some of them are even posting in this thread :pac:

They all paid up like good little citizens when Revenue got on the case.

Sometimes, unfortunately, you need a bit of a stick to get people to pay their fair contribution to the running of society.
    It's a shame, but it's the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There is a pattern there alright, a pattern that some people are more than happy to accept because they are afraid of the unknown.

Privatisation?

Don't forget the legacy utility disaster that was Telecom Eireann!!

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Privatisation?

It was a reference to politics.
    People are afraid to topple the mediocre (putting it mildly) FG/Labour government because they are afraid of the alternatives.
    I am no Sinn Fein supporter myself but I am not willing to stick to the "better the devil you know" mantra.
    If a government cannot govern, it has to go until the vacuum is replaced by a government that can whoever that may be.

Oh you will.

i wouldn't bank on it.
    Maybe not in time to avoid the late payment fees and interest, but you'll pay all right.

he won't
    What's more, your late payment will ensure that right-thinking members of society that don't try to weasel out of their taxes and charges ultimately have to pay less- and that's a good thing.

i'm sure it won't.
    I fondly remember the HHC thread - that was full of internet hardmen, all bluff and bluster about what they'd tell the Judge if they got brought to court on non-payment charges.
    Some of them are even posting in this thread

did they? maybe they didn't and revenue just took.
    Sometimes, unfortunately, you need a bit of a stick to get people to pay their fair contribution to the running of society.

they are paying their fare contribution to the running of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭PutDownArtist

Don't forget the legacy utility disaster that was Telecom Eireann!!

Let's face it, there are too many disasters to mention when it comes to govt. run institutions in this country.

People would be insane to pay anything to IW at a time when the govt. is self imploding over the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

:pac:

Oh you will.

Some of them are even posting in this thread :pac:

It's a shame, but it's the way of the world.

What? You think the government will get revenue to collect money for a bill I never signed up for? Well, thats a bit odd dont you think? :confused:

I wont pay it. Just wait until April and see what happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That grant is useless, houses over 7 years old are only eligible.

Who exactly would wait 7 years without a water supply to be eligible for a grant .

I'd say there's a few thousand around Roscommon.....
    Also amazing that so many seem to think that the setting up of a large and complex utility like Irish Water can somehow how be done with no cost and without consultants or outside expertise.

Lol, wasn't it money well spent top Kermy, because it was set up without any expertise.

Good post. Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Just a question.

If a person came to Ireland with no job plans or somewhere to stay, should they be housed?

I just mean where do you draw the line, I think the government do a good job making sure people have accomadation.

I may be wrong but isn't there always somewhere be it emergency hostels etc to stay?

Now as I said I could be wrong.

One of the hallmarks of a civilized society is a basic living standard...

A house over your head., it goes back to the earliest recorded Sumerian society.

There was,and is, no excuse, thousands of houses are lying vacant.

Politicians and State run bodies, directly caused this timebomb.

No one was regulating, or setting simple basic priorities, on behalf of the electorate.

Reach.ie are now reporting that an increasing amount of tenants in the private sector, are fearing homelessness, as a result of the non existance, of affordable accommodation.

Like FF before them, FG and labour have looked on, while prices have left so many homeless, and in despair.

As with Irish Water, the horse has bolted.

How would you like to live in emergency accommodation?

AS I have said, it is a civilized right, to a home.

Not property btw, a home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement