Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well the woman in the centre of the discussion about hitting the bollard speaks out:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-charges-protest-woman-intends-to-lodge-gsoc-complaint-651428.html

Nice to see the whole story for once.

Plus hopefully the GSOC will investigate this now that she complained.

How is one persons skewed viewpoint the whole story?

"oh i thought enda was in the other car, thats why i broke through the police barricade"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

gladrags wrote: »
    Focus Ireland put the Homeless figure at 9,000.

You don't appear to be aware of the devastation out there.

Sorry were getting mixed up here, I'm talking about people sleeping rough each night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Irish Times.

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny said anti-water charges protesters in Sligo last night showed “scant regard” for the safety of women and children.

The Taoiseach said: “Democracy is for everybody. Certainly in Sligo last night they showed scant regard for women or children who were there.”

Kenny has lost the plot,he is cracking and
    exposing his contempt for ordinary people.

Scant regard for women and children Enda?

Tell that to hundreds of homeless women and children, thousands lying on emergency trolleys.

There were homeless people and plenty of people on hospital trolleys during the "boom" years in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Well the woman in the centre of the discussion about hitting the bollard speaks out:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-charges-protest-woman-intends-to-lodge-gsoc-complaint-651428.html

quote from that article:

She admitted to banging on the car, saying the Taoiseach "just smiled" and she "saw an opportunity".
    "It was a kneejerk reaction… I just happened to be beside the car so I banged on the bonnet as well."

What's she got to complain about after that action? What exactly did she expect to happen when she attacked the Taoiseach's car?
    She's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

She intends to lodge the complaint but probably will wait so she can drag as much media attention out of it as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Focus Ireland put the Homeless figure at 9,000.

You don't appear to be aware of the devastation out there.

Compared to what in the boom years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Who'd waste a bullet on the cünt?
    I'd far rather see him lose his seat

Disgusting comment.

The ballot box should be treasured in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

My 2c's worth.........

Irish water will be privatised

As a commodity Irish water will be traded/exported to meet water shortages/demand elsewhere

In future the market (supply/demand) will determine what irish people pay for their water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Simple question

You are on duty and Obama's car is going by and this woman does what she did, What would you have done? What would other cops in the area have done?

Exact situation but Obama is in the town car? And if I'm the 3rd Garda? I'd have continued forward towards my fellow officers that already had the girl restrained and did not appear to be resisting restraint. I'd have been ready to act but I don't have a habit of further clattering into people that are already restrained. If they are resisting and my colleagues needed assistance. I would assist. There are legal take down manoeuvres and are usually used on drunk or high males with adrenaline flowing. Honestly, I'd I was one of the two Garda that had the girl restrained and another officer charged in I'd be having words with him after the event.

Outside of the above situation, in a country where firearms are easily obtainable and has historical political figure assassinations. And I seen what I believed to be a firearm or dangerous weapon. I'd have shot her. That's what the training is for. But from what appears to transpire in the video I don't believe she would have been shot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

nm wrote: »
    quote from that article:

She admitted to banging on the car, saying the Taoiseach "just smiled" and she "saw an opportunity".
    "It was a kneejerk reaction… I just happened to be beside the car so I banged on the bonnet as well."

What's she got to complain about after that action? What exactly did she expect to happen when she attacked the Taoiseach's car?
    She's an idiot.

You're still generally not allowed to throw people to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Pro tip to the water protesters in Donaghmede this morning. If you want other people to pay for your water, it would be handy if you didn't block the traffic and delay them getting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The guy that attacked Cameron a few weeks back wasn't even roughed up like the woman outside Mansion House.

Eh, no-one attacked Cameron.
    He was a jogger who didn't know Cameron was there when he ran into him, got, in his own words 'manhandled to the ground' by the security detail and held in custody for the rest of the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The attempt from the establishment to get people onboard for the water scam is frankly laughable. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the reserve effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

bajer101 wrote: »
    Pro tip to the water protesters in Donaghmede this morning. If you want other people to pay for your water, it would be handy if you didn't block the traffic and delay them getting to work.

Couple of tips,

You and your high horse could leave earlier

You and your high horse could use a different route

It's not like it's a secret protest

hju6 wrote: »
    Couple of tips,

Why should ordinary workers leave for work earlier? Why should they change their route?
    If protestors want the majority to support them then they shouldn't be disrupting their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

omega man wrote: »
    There were homeless people and plenty of people on hospital trolleys during the "boom" years in fairness.

Just goes to show what Kenny and Martins priorites are.

Homelessness is now at crisis point,thats why there is such an increase.

People cannot afford rent,and there is now a major shortage of houses.

The health services are in crisis.

Kenny removed funding from charity and volunteer organisations,who cared for special needs,disabilities,mental health.

He closed down urban and rural emergency services.

He then claims protesters have "scant regard" for women and children.

He is out of touch with the reality.

He should resign before this country falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Couple of tips,

A right to protest is not a right to do so at the expense of people who have a right not to protest. Maybe the poster should have been organised and proactive enough to coordinate the school to have opened earlier today to ensure the kids could be dropped off earlier.

"Ordinary" protestors are slowly but surely alienating the "Ordinary" people they say they represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

He should resign before this country falls apart.

Your right.

Only a grand coalition of the Shinners, Joe Higgins & Rich Boy-Barrett can restore Ireland's glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

bajer101 wrote: »

At least they didnt do it during morning peak commute times. Might be a bit early for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Couple of tips,

Seriously? They are your "tips"? As someone else mentioned I had to drop my daughter off to school first, so leaving earlier wasn't an option. Another router wasn't an option as the whole are was logjammed. Wasn't too bad for me as I was just an hour late for an ordinary job, but my sister is a doctor who treat public patients and she was also an hour late getting to her clinic where she was met with a queue of patients waiting outside the clinic. Does that make the problem a bit easier to understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Eh, no-one attacked Cameron.
    He was a jogger who didn't know Cameron was there when he ran into him, got, in his own words 'manhandled to the ground' by the security detail and held in custody for the rest of the afternoon.
    He is interviewed here http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-29784493 manhandled to the ground put in cuffs and trown into a policevan for an hour witout explanation except he was bein detaind then took down the station and held further and he was only out for a run if that happed to this girl in Dublin there would be some outcry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

My 2c's worth.........

Irish water will be privatised

As a commodity Irish water will be traded/exported to meet water shortages/demand elsewhere

In future the market (supply/demand) will determine what irish people pay for their water

On what do you base your assumption that IW will be privitised. The only people who have indicated a willingness to do this is Sinn Fein and I believe they've removed this from their manifesto in order to appeal to the masses.
    Exact situation but Obama is in the town car? And if I'm the 3rd Garda? I'd have continued forward towards my fellow officers that already had the girl restrained and did not appear to be resisting restraint. I'd have been ready to act but I don't have a habit of further clattering into people that are already restrained. If they are resisting and my colleagues needed assistance. I would assist. There are legal take down manoeuvres and are usually used on drunk or high males with adrenaline flowing. Honestly, I'd I was one of the two Garda that had the girl restrained and another officer charged in I'd be having words with him after the event.

Outside of the above situation, in a country where firearms are easily obtainable and has historical political figure assassinations. And I seen what I believed to be a firearm or dangerous weapon. I'd have shot her. That's what the training is for. But from what appears to transpire in the video I don't believe she would have been shot here.

So the presidents motorcade would wait while a woman who banged on the car was slowly led away? They had her restrained but she wasn't moving. So how long would the motorcade hang around while they tried to convince her to move. You know as well as I do that she would be cleared from the motorcade pretty rapidly.

In the end, this will come down to a simple question of whether he pushed her too hard. I doubt anyone will come to an agreement on it here
    Couple of tips,

It was an unplanned one so how were people to prepare for it? You are determined that protests should take precedence over personal rights, be they of politicians or ordinary citizens. That's nothing more than self important bullying.

What you saw was a woman illegally breaking a barrier and jumping onto the bonnet of a minister's car to do god knows what and being rightfully removed by the Gardai....as is their job.

It may have been a little forceful but then again but for all they she was going to smash a window and throw something dangerous into the car or attack the occupants.

Her gender is irrelevant as is that of the Garda. Less of the self righteous anger please and a little more logical thinking.

I actually only saw the News clip at the point I saw her flung at the bollard - so maybe I didn't have the full picture - and maybe the Gardai were right. As an image it just shocked me - that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why should ordinary workers leave for work earlier? Why should they change their route?
    If protestors want the majority to support them then they shouldn't be disrupting their day.

Another valid question that could be asked, is why are GMC Sierra still attempting to install meters where the residents clearly do not want them,

If, "thousands are being installed elsewhere every day, with little or no protest, so why not concentrate on areas where they're welcomed, and facilitated?

And installing meters should be waaaay down the list of priorities now, if the bills are seemingly going to be capped for 3 years, therefore making the meters redundant until then?

GMC Sierra have a part to play in these protests too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To those who oppose water charges:

Given that Ireland is running at a deficit at the moment, Imagine you do get the water charges abolished, how do you propose to close the deficit?

Water charge isn't the only way to do it so how do you propose to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Blocking ordinary people who are just trying to get to their jobs to make a living is not the way to win "hearts and minds". Some of the people organising these protests need to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

She was actually removed twice from the car, the second time they had to throw her cause she went back after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

To those who oppose water charges:

Given that Ireland is running at a deficit at the moment, Imagine you do get the water charges abolished, how do you propose to close the deficit?

Water charge isn't the only way to do it so how do you propose to do it?

Its a legitimate point overall.

However, IW was never going to scratch the surface of a €7bn overall deficit.

The loony left before the budget said they would partially close the deficit by defaulting on the national debt.

So, there are ideas out there.
    They are just garbage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Taxes on texts, taxes on soft drinks, etc.

To those who support water charges:

If "every" other country charges for water, and this was needed to "close the deficit", and we need to conserve our water usage, why did the government do a terrible job in setting up and overseeing Irish Water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Taxes on texts, taxes on soft drinks, etc.

To those who support water charges:

If "every" other country charges for water, and this was needed "close the deficit", and we need to conserve our water usage, why did the government do a terrible job in setting up and overseeing Irish Water?

Because they are inept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement