Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Very hard to find a town or city with a property that will house my 60 cattle and 3 donkeys.

If it was 60 donkeys and 3 cattle, you could try Dail Eireann...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Very hard to find a town or city with a property that will house my 60 cattle and 3 donkeys.

Apples to oranges and I suspect you know it

For your BUSINESS you're getting a wage/income and grants. Little different to a one-off in a field because you wanted the big house in the country away from the rat race.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So it's ok to spend money on foreign people once they come to Ireland with nowhere to go, but if there abroad then screw them.

Using your logic we should throw out all foreign people taking up jobs that Irish people could be doing, seems we should be "looking after pur own"

You're borderline been racist but you can't see this.

Oh yay! The PC "-ist" card being played to deflect from a reasonable point that you disagree with. It's like "new age" Godwinism

There's not a thing wrong with putting our own citizens first in their time of need. I'm not saying that there aren't many others in need too, but let's put our own house in order first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"LOCAL AUTHORITIES HAVE given €424.5 million to Irish Water to date. A further €14.5 million is expected to be paid to the utility this month."

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-local-authorities-1810894-Dec2014/

So that's nearly half a billion, wonder how many pipes and leaks they could have fixed with that this year?

It's very odd that LA's pay IW nearly half a billion yet IW are subcontracting the fixing of leaks back to those self same LA's,a game of pass the parcel with a very large wad of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

How many of those protesting cannot afford €3 per week for household water supply? We have some of the most generous Social Welfare payments in Europe, you know?

People have to cut their cloth to suit their measure. €3 per week is a pittance and well within the reach of all but a small minority.

Look at the Shinners, for example, They're trying to make something about the Social injustice of the Water Charges yet they protect rapists, pedophiles, murderers and thieves. Today's charade in Dail Eireann, yet another pathetic attempt for Mary Lou to pretend she's a serious politician.

No

Mountjoy is full of murderers,they will be getting out soon.

The Dail has been full of scoundrels and thieves,since time immomorial.

The whistleblower handed over the Ansbacher list in 2004 to Harney,not to SF.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    It's very odd that LA's pay IW nearly half a billion yet IW are subcontracting the fixing of leaks back to those self same LA's,a game of pass the parcel with a very large wad of money.

That's how they manage to make that wad get smaller every time but yet nothing has actually been done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Oh yay! The PC "-ist" card being played to deflect from a reasonable point that you disagree with. It's like "new age" Godwinism

There's not a thing wrong with putting our own citizens first in their time of need. I'm not saying that there aren't many others in need too, but let's put our own house in order first.

I'm not deflecting anything.

You are the one saying we should be looking after our own and a screw people from other countries.

Its like saying bloody foreigners taking our jobs..

How can you not see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Apples to oranges and I suspect you know it

For your BUSINESS you're getting a wage/income and grants. Little different to a one-off in a field because you wanted the big house in the country away from the rat race.

What wrong with people living in the country, they have every right to do so should they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

So it's ok to spend money on foreign people once they come to Ireland with nowhere to go, but if there abroad then screw them.

Using your logic we should throw out all foreign people taking up jobs that Irish people could be doing, seems we should be "looking after pur own"

You're borderline been racist but you can't see this.

Wow that's some jump but I knew its was coming .
    And Yes it is ok to spend money on people living there because that is your problem.
    My point was lets get our own problems sorted first before we try and sort out everyone else's problems.

Oh and trying to bring foreign people working there into the debate might reflect your own hidden racist views because I don't remember ever bring that up or even commenting on it.

What wrong with people living in the country, they have every right to do so should they wish.

Sure they do.. but part of that means that you can't always expect the same level or quality of services as you'd get in towns and cities - this applies to things like Broadband/4G, public transport, local amenities/facilities etc.. not just water supply. It's just not cost effective or practical.

But as I said earlier, to compensate for that you get a bigger house, land, peace and quiet, less traffic and a slower pace of life for significantly cheaper than your urban neighbours so it's not all bad!

Or to put it another way - you can't have your cake and eat it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    So tell me Breffnigolfer ,

Do you avail of any of the many Grants or Subsidies available to the 600,000 ,or Do you just man up and pay our own way???

Better question would be will he avail of the 100 scrounging rebate or just man up and pay the full whack

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

So tell me Breffnigolfer ,

Do you avail of any of the many Grants or Subsidies available to the 600,000 ,or Do you just man up and pay our own way???

I got zero grant, zero subsidy and pay my own way.

I also, this year, paid close on €2,000 annual motor tax for the cars in the family, cars that are needed because we do not get subsidised Public Transport.

I pay close on €120 per year to run my water softener, without any grant assistance. I reckon the water pump costs up to €200 per year to run and maintain.

I pay for sewage disposal, maintenance of the effluent treatment, all without grant or subsidy. This costs in the region of€300 per year, (conservative estimate).

And, despite all of this, I'm expected to continue to contribute to the cost of supplying water to those currently protesting.

Wow that's some jump but I knew its was coming .
    And Yes it is ok to spend money on people living there because that is your problem.
    My point was lets get our own problems sorted first before we try and sort out everyone else's problems.

Oh and trying to bring foreign people working there into the debate might reflect your own hidden racist views because I don't remember ever bring that up or even commenting on it.
    Ok so, there is many homeless families in Ireland through lack of employment.

If we threw out all the foreign people taking up jobs that would put hundreds of thousands of Irish people back in work and we would be looking after our own.

Now tell me how this is different to you saying we shouldnt be helping foreign people with aid we should be looking after our own?

Tell me the difference.

shinzon wrote: »
    Better question would be will he avail of the 100 scrounging rebate or just man up and pay the full whack

Shin

Now you're being ridiculous. Are you feeling OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Now you're being ridiculous. Are you feeling OK?

Absolutely fine thanks

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    Absolutely fine thanks

Shin

Good. I was starting to worry about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If we threw out all the foreign people taking up jobs that would put hundreds of thousands of Irish people back in work and we would be looking after our own.

Now tell me how this is different to you saying we shouldnt be helping foreign people with aid we should be looking after our own?

Tell me the difference.

I'd quit now if I were you. Your comments are becoming really embarrassing and totally transparent and cringeworthy.

Smidge wrote: »
    I'd quit now if I were you. Your comments are becoming really embarrassing and totally transparent and cringeworthy.

Nope, I think its a valid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How many of those protesting cannot afford €3 per week for household water supply? We have some of the most generous Social Welfare payments in Europe, you know?

looks like many can't. even with no luxuries at all
    People have to cut their cloth to suit their measure.

they have. i suppose you believe they should stop paying the mortgage as well just to pay for the pentian of your friend the former leader of sligo county council?
    €3 per week is a pittance and well within the reach of all but a small minority.

clearly its not within the reach of a large minority.
    Look at the Shinners, for example, They're trying to make something about the Social injustice of the Water Charges yet they protect rapists, pedophiles, murderers and thieves.

what rapists, murderers and thieves.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Tell me the difference.

Please show me where I say we should stop foreign aid .I have stated that we should reduce the vast sums (over 600million) Till we sort out your own problems and till we can actually afford it.

As for throwing out people ,I honestly can't see your logic or how the issues are connected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Nope, I think its a valid argument.

Fair enough so, carry on.
    Just so you know though, after this, there isn't going to be a single poster here who will take anything you say from now on(if they did indeed do so before)as anything other than total and utter bunk and silliness and bordering on trolling .

Pay your way.

no . i won't be paying for the pentian of the wasters over IW who have failed time and time again at the tax payers expence

I also, this year, paid close on €2,000 annual motor tax for the cars in the family, cars that are needed because we do not get subsidised Public Transport.

I pay close on €120 per year to run my water softener, without any grant assistance. I reckon the water pump costs up to €200 per year to run and maintain.

I pay for sewage disposal, maintenance of the effluent treatment, all without grant or subsidy. This costs in the region of€300 per year, (conservative estimate).

And, despite all of this, I'm expected to continue to contribute to the cost of supplying water to those currently protesting.

I appreciate your honest answer And can see where your strong feelings are coming from .
    However we are poles apart on this issue and that will not be changing anytime soon .
    For me enough is enough..
    But again thank you for your honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I appreciate your honest answer And can see where your strong feelings are coming from .
    However we are poles apart on this issue and that will not be changing anytime soon .
    For me enough is enough..
    But again thank you for your honesty.

His point was if it comes out of General Taxation he is paying for it twice, once for himself and once for everyone else.

I can see his point.

Sure they do.. but part of that means that you can't always expect the same level or quality of services as you'd get in towns and cities - this applies to things like Broadband/4G, public transport, local amenities/facilities etc.. not just water supply. It's just not cost effective or practical.

But as I said earlier, to compensate for that you get a bigger house, land, peace and quiet, less traffic and a slower pace of life for significantly cheaper than your urban neighbours so it's not all bad!

Or to put it another way - you can't have your cake and eat it too!
    they can have these services if they lobby hard enough and for long enough. cost effective or not, if they can get them they should take them

so what. you gladly pay what you're told when you're told so why not get over it and pay up for this

so what. you gladly pay what you're told when you're told so why not get over it and pay up for this

That doesn't make sense.

You, on the other hand, need to man up and pay your fair share.

Are you opposed to metering of water supplies?

they can have these services if they lobby hard enough and for long enough. cost effective or not,......

You're in Dreamland if you believe this to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Because he uses the road, the water softener and the sewage disposal so he pays for them.
    He doesn't use the public water supply

• Advertisement

That doesn't make sense.

You, on the other hand, need to man up and pay your fair share.

Are you opposed to metering of water supplies?
    i all ready pay it. you seem to think paying everything the government tells you is paying ones "fair share"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement