Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You're in Dreamland if you believe this to be the case.
    not at all. many a lobbying got services.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

looks like many can't. even with no luxuries at all

No evidence has been produced by any of the protesters to back this up.
    l........ i suppose you believe they should stop paying the mortgage as well just to pay for the pentian of your friend the former leader of sligo county council?

That's a stupid point. What are you trying to say?

clearly its not within the reach of a large minority.

It's far from clear.
    l
    what rapists, murderers and thieves.

Now you're just being facetious.

The protests are, seemingly, comprised of many different objectors examples of which are

1. Those claiming inability to pay
    2. Those claiming it's a civil right to be provided with free water
    3. Those claiming it's a civil right to be provided with free, unlimited supply of water
    4. Something about Bankers, bond-holders etc (the protesters don't seem to know themselves)
    5. Rabble rousers, just spoiling for a fight
    6. Agitators, rising those who know no better

i all ready pay it. you seem to think paying everything the government tells you is paying ones "fair share"

You are not paying your fair share.

Because he uses the road, the water softener and the sewage disposal so he pays for them.
    He doesn't use the public water supply
    but he pays what he's told when he's told and expects everyone else to do the same even if they can't afford to do so. so the same has to apply to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

How many of those protesting cannot afford €3 per week for household water supply? We have some of the most generous Social Welfare payments in Europe, you know?

People have to cut their cloth to suit their measure. €3 per week is a pittance and well within the reach of all but a small minority.

Look at the Shinners, for example, They're trying to make something about the Social injustice of the Water Charges yet they protect rapists, pedophiles, murderers and thieves. Today's charade in Dail Eireann, yet another pathetic attempt for Mary Lou to pretend she's a serious politician.

Whatabout that then, eh?

God forbid the activities of alleged tax evading FFGer's would be addressed.

• Advertisement

yes i am paying my fair share. if my fair share is to pay every little gambling debt tax the government decides i should pay, well no thanks i won't be paying.

yes i am paying my fair share. if my fair share is to pay every little gambling debt tax the government decides i should pay, well no thanks i won't be paying.

Do you believe the supply should be metered?

yes i am. as you won't be able to prove otherwise, then thats the end of it. what i say goes

Do you believe the supply should be metered?

Why bother spending nearly a billion on meters when a flat rate is going to apply?

Denis must be so proud of FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

but he pays what he's told when he's told and expects everyone else to do the same even if they can't afford to do so. so the same has to apply to him

He pays what he's told for services he uses, everyone should. If you stand in McDonalds and ask for a Big Mac, expect to pay for it.
    He drives on public roads, so he pays motor tax like the rest of us who want to drive on the road.

He doesn't use public water, why should he pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

You are joking?

If things are that tight then you cannot afford to have a dog.

Your story is exactly proving my point. You have elected for a luxury over an essential.

This has to be the worst post I have ever read on boards, and that's saying something. The man has a dog and had to pick between dog food and coal today. Your response is that he shouldn't have a dog?
    What about clothes, surely he could wear rags and hand over any savings to the government. What about a cup of tea, surely he could drink water out of a puddle instead.
    When you hear that a fellow country man is struggling like that and your first though is that he shouldn't have a dog (a dog he probably loves like a best friend), you are seriously lacking in empathy. Not only that, but why don't you instead question the system which is forcing so many of us into daily battles between the likes of dog food and coal.

This has to be the worst post I have ever read on boards, and that's saying something. The man has a dog and had to pick between dog food and coal today. Your response is that he shouldn't have a dog?
    What about clothes, surely he could wear rags and hand over any savings to the government. What about a cup of tea, surely he could drink water out of a puddle instead.
    When you hear that a fellow country man is struggling like that and your first though is that he shouldn't have a dog (a dog he probably loves like a best friend), you are seriously lacking in empathy. Not only that, but why don't you instead question the system which is forcing so many of us into daily battles between the likes of dog food and coal.

There seems to be a kind of robotic trait with our resident pro water tax lads.
    Money and making the figures work is the only thing that matters with them.
    'You can't afford a water tax, sell your dog'.
    What next? it'll be like that ad on the tv where the parents tell the kids that they can't afford to keep one of them and she has to go......

There's more to life than money, folks.....way more....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

There seems to be a kind of robotic trait with our resident pro water tax lads.
    Money and making the figures work is the only thing that matters with them.
    'You can't afford a water tax, sell your dog'.
    What next? it'll be like that ad on the tv where the parents tell the kids that they can't afford to keep one of them and she has to go......

There's more to life than money, folks.....way more....

In fairness its difficult for people that don't have a dog to understand that.

I have a dog .. I think i'd lose weight and go cold before I'd see the dog badly off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I thought the protesters were against meters?

I'm really confused

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

what gets me about this country is we seem to be able to find the money when we want to case in point all the foreign aid etc etc etc and don't get me wrong they deserve it but at the same time were supposed to be broke yet magically when money is needed its there no questions asked

Yet for water we need to setup a quango pay failed and retired city managers bloated salaries and anyone else whose a mate of a mate gets co opted into IW. Boggles the mind

Shin

naughtb4 wrote: »

I'm really confused

You're not the only one.

It seems that FG cronies and the companies they bought off NAMA with debts written off, that we as taxpayers are paying, have been awarded massive contracts to install water meters, yet everyone is being charged the one flat rate for their water supply.

I can see how you would be confused by this ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

zerks wrote: »
    It's very odd that LA's pay IW nearly half a billion yet IW are subcontracting the fixing of leaks back to those self same LA's,a game of pass the parcel with a very large wad of money.

LA didn't give this money to IW. The deptartment gave IW the money instead of giving it to the LA.

LA didn't give this money to IW. The deptartment gave IW the money instead of giving it to the LA.

I see.
    And then IW 'hire' the LA's to do the work?
    Some scam ok.

You're not the only one.

It seems that FG cronies and the companies they bought off NAMA with debts written off, that we as taxpayers are paying, have been awarded massive contracts to install water meters, yet everyone is being charged the one flat rate for their water supply.

I can see how you would be confused by this ok.

It was the best thing coming out of this debacle, per use charges are the fairest way of paying for anything.

The u-turn really pleased noone

It was the best thing coming out of this debacle, per use charges are the fairest way of paying for anything.

I've never used our welfare system.
    Can I have the portion of my taxes that go towards that back then?

• Advertisement

Maybe not everything....
    But utilities like water, electricity, gas etc the more you use the more you pay, it's standard practice in most countries

The u-turn really pleased noone

Except those that protested and won the U-turn in the first place, per useage will never come in now due to the protestors its to toxic an issue and will never be allowed by the majority.

I wonder would you have thought it was fair in 2 or 3 years under the old regime of per useage when prices would have been ramped upto unsustainable levels which was the ultimate goal. Fleece the people yet again, you should be down on your knees thanking the protestors for nipping it in the bud and im not joking about that

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    Except those that protested and won the U-turn in the first place, per useage will never come in now due to the protestors its to toxic an issue and will never be allowed by the majority.

I wonder would you have thought it was fair in 2 or 3 years under the old regime of per useage when prices would have been ramped upto unsustainable levels which was the ultimate goal. Fleece the people yet again, you should be down on your knees thanking the protestors for nipping it in the bud and im not joking about that

Shin
    Can't the flat charge not just go up?

Can

Maybe not everything....
    But utilities like water, electricity, gas etc the more you use the more you pay, it's standard practice in most countries

Most countries don't have a USC.

Most countries don't have a USC.

So your argument is get rid of some of the USC and bring in per use water charges?

There was a poll on the old thread, pretty sure the majority were for a per use charge

Can't the flat charge not just go up?

Can

If IW survives which it wont yup it can, the 10th of December will show the government just how much people think of the there reforms, they'll have nowhere to go except to the polls and whatever government comes in next wouldn't be so stupid as to try the same trick with water twice

Shin

So your argument is get rid of some of the USC and bring in per use water charges?

There was a poll on the old thread, pretty sure the majority were for a per use charge

You were comparing us to other countries.
    I was pointing out how other countries don't have the same taxation system as we do.
    I believe that the one thing our country can supply us with from general taxation, be you a millionaire or a pauper, is water.

So you won't be drawing down your state pension then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So you won't be drawing down your state pension then?

No matter.
    Enda kenny has one or two to spare if you are stuck I hear..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

You were comparing us to other countries.
    I was pointing out how other countries don't have the same taxation system as we do.

Yes, that's true, their income tax is much much higher.
    I believe that the one thing our country can supply us with from general taxation, be you a millionaire or a pauper, is water.

What kind of water and for how long? It's funny that countries with much higher "general taxation" can't seem to do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement