Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

yipeeeee wrote: »
    And said I could be wrong, if someone proves I'm wrong I will hold my hand up.

How exactly do you expect someone to prove you wrong? You made a claim, therefore the burden of proof lies with you, I'd love for you to prove your point. I won't hold my breath though because you're talking absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Pocoyo wrote: »
    UK article on irelands 600,000 people living in food poverty.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/irelands-new-poor-and-food-bankds-320

How can you expect these people to pay for water twice?

You are answering a question that nobody is asking. There is no question of anybody paying for water twice. The question is just misleading scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

You are answering a question that nobody is asking. There is no question of anybody paying for water twice. The question is just misleading scaremongering.

Read the article. What is your opinion on it?

My opinion is that its a disgrace. We are slowly slipping away from being a first world country in terms of living standards. Why, because we have a government that puts thr needs of big business and the EU ahead of the welfare of its own people.

Or are you deluded and in denial of our social problems or perhaps just plain ignorant of it like our Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even to tender for the contract requires, under both EU and Irish Law, a certificate of tax compliance. How could an entity that did not exist in law, get a tax clearance certificate?
    As has been pointed out many times before, it's perfectly normal for the lead member of a consortium to tender for these contracts, including EU ones, and then form the consortium company (if required, or advantageous, it isn't always) upon a successful outcome. It's be silly and costly to set up a company "just in case". I've personally been involved in a number of such tenders in the IT field, both domestic and EU. It happens, and it's perfectly OK, whatever Catherine Murphy might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

RobertKK wrote: »
    Really?
    One can support the principle but it doesn't mean one has to support the way the principle is implemented.

If that's the case then, you need to be supporting the protests. Becasue if Irish Waters stays, we're all fücked.

• Advertisement

shinzon wrote: »
    so your happy to pay the water charge yet not happy with the company your going to pay the charge to, how in the name of god does that make any sense at all

Isnt that just being pig headed about wanting to pay for water, honestly im interested in your argument here please tell me how you can separate the 2 entities. how you can still pay money to a company that you don't agree with its implementation

Shin
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Easy, it could be like, you agree with the idea of 'family', but you might not necessarily like your own family.
    You can't change who your family is but that is the family you belong to.

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Alun wrote: »
    As has been pointed out many times before, it's perfectly normal for the lead member of a consortium to tender for these contracts, including EU ones, and then form the consortium company (if required, or advantageous, it isn't always) upon a successful outcome. It's be silly and costly to set up a company "just in case". I've personally been involved in a number of such tenders in the IT field, both domestic and EU. It happens, and it's perfectly OK, whatever Catherine Murphy might think.

Would you categorise such tenders as speculative tenders?

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Because I would take a guess now I could be wrong, that the majority of protestors don't pay tax.

The above is why no one is taking you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Would you categorise such tenders as speculative tenders?
    All tenders are speculative to a degree. A lot of time, effort and money usually goes into the tendering process and you don't want to waste any more of those resources setting up a company that might never be used. BTW it isn't always strictly necessary to even set up a separate company at all. A consortium can operate perfectly well with just the lead consortium member fronting it, and a legal framework to define the consortium members' relationship with each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Read the article. What is your opinion on it?

My opinion is that its a disgrace. We are slowly slipping away from being a first world country in terms of living standards. Why, because we have a government that puts thr needs of big business and the EU ahead of the welfare of its own people.

Or are you deluded and in denial of our social problems or perhaps just plain ignorant of it like our Government?

Very true on your piece on the government putting the needs of big business ahead of the welfare of it's own people.

I was reading the state benefits forum here on boards and what I read about truly sickened me. Someone who is unemployed and receiving the unemployment assistance payment. He went to the post office to pick up his weekly payment, just to find at the counter there was no payment for him there. Just nothing. He made contact with SW and was informed that there was a form in the post to him to fill out for a momentum course and to have it back for the 10thof Dec. You would think that SW would wait until after the 10th of Dec if your man failed to send back the form for cutting him off instead of cutting him off with no warning.

Completely degrading people they are.

• Advertisement

We are slowly slipping away from being a first world country in terms of living standards. Why, because we have a government that puts thr needs of big business and the EU ahead of the welfare of its own people.

Ireland is ranked 37th out of 41 countries in the OECD for child well being.

Yet some people seem to think everything's grand. It's a sad reflection on our society that there are people who simply refuse to look at reality because it interfere's with their limited political beliefs.

UK article on irelands 600,000 people living in food poverty.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/irelands-new-poor-and-food-bankds-320

How can you expect these people to pay for water twice?

I assume you actually read the article? It claims a family (Mother, kids and grandkids) are living on €188 a week. That is NOT correct. That is a SINGLE persons payment. But, why let the truth get in the way of a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I assume you actually read the article? It claims a family (Mother, kids and grandkids) are living on €188 a week. That is NOT correct. That is a SINGLE persons payment. But, why let the truth get in the way of a story.

That's it , Forget or ignore the case that food banks are needed and opening on a scale and size never seen before in Ireland and are making the difference between sinking and swimming for families out there,

Talk about selective reading.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

You have heard of being means tested haven't you, not everyone gets the full whack of what there supposed to be getting

Shin

You have heard of being means tested haven't you, not everyone gets the full whack of what there supposed to be getting

Shin

So they have other income, not just her €188.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

So they have other income, not just her €188.

You should take a trip down to the food back and let her know so Mary. Do you really think she'd be going to a food back if she had no other choice? Get your head out of the clouds.

You should take a trip down to the food back and let her know so Mary. Do you really think she'd be going to a food back if she had no other choice? Get your head out of the clouds.

I see nothing wrong in people availing of food banks. My issue is the article is clearly inaccurate. If the household is only getting €188 a week welfare, they have other income which they choose not to disclose in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I see nothing wrong in people availing of food banks. My issue is the article is clearly inaccurate. If the household is only getting €188 a week welfare, they have other income which they choose not to disclose in the interview.

Maybe you should take your own advice ,Article never claimed that €188 was the only income it states that "

Previously, she was the only income in the house, receiving a Back to Education Allowance that gave her €188 (£148) a week.

See slightly different then what you are making out and using as a stick to knock the whole article.

After paying her mortgage of €130 (£103) a week, Rose, her daughter and two grandkids were expected to live on €58 (£46) a week, or €14.50 (£11.44) per person.[/I]"

This however is written to totally mis-lead the facts and add colour to the article which is more down to a problem effecting most newspapers /media now a days .which is wrong but even this hasn't much to do with the general issue in the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

and you know this 100 % for certain that theres other income, please do elaborate on how you know this, is it beyond your realm of understanding that they could actually be telling the truth.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

The Detroit Water Brigade are in Dublin. They are currently giving a press conference in the Gresham Hotel.

• Advertisement

and you know this 100 % for certain that theres other income, please do elaborate on how you know this, is it beyond your realm of understanding that they could actually be telling the truth.

Shin

They may well be telling some truth, but not ALL the truth. I think the article is misleading. I would assume this is down to bad research by a journalist. I know enough about the welfare system to know that €188 is a single persons allowance. If THAT'S all they are getting, they must have another source of income. This is not a blame game. It's just pointing out facts of an inaccurate article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

They may well be telling some truth, but not ALL the truth. I think the article is misleading. I would assume this is down to bad research by a journalist. I know enough about the welfare system to know that €188 is a single persons allowance. If THAT'S all they are getting, they must have another source of income. This is not a blame game. It's just pointing out facts of an inaccurate article.

No its not! Look it up..not everyone gets that much.
    Like me for instance. 50 years old, worked all my life until Oct 10th when I was let go. I receive €124 a week which they decided to cut off last week with no reason given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

You clearly know nothing about the welfare system, some are entitled to €188, definitely not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Do you,or does anyone you know have income not disclosed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Green Fish

I have been hearing about serious divisions within the coalition over how to implement a giveaway budget in 2015 to boost the ratings for the next general election i.e. to buy votes.
    If the Irish Water protests go well, those divisions will deepen and when the Fine Gael and Labour TDs come back from their Xmas holidays, they will be worried about their seats and the government will be close to collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

An interesting letter....

That don't have a breakdown in the figures, as in how many non completed forms are in the mix, also they say +/-23% would be replying to inform them that they're not even connected to the public water system.

Straight from the horses mouth....... Lol.....

Chucken wrote: »
    No its not! Look it up..not everyone gets that much.
    Like me for instance. 50 years old, worked all my life until Oct 10th when I was let go. I receive €124 a week which they decided to cut off last week with no reason given.

That is the point I'm making! If one is only getting x amount, it's because they have OTHER income.

An interesting letter....

That don't have a breakdown in the figures, as in how many non completed forms are in the mix, also they say +/-23% would be replying to inform them that they're not even connected to the public water system.

Straight from the horses mouth....... Lol.....

What an absolute joke.

1 billion Euro...and counting.

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

That is the point I'm making! If one is only getting x amount, it's because they have OTHER income.

The fact you're more concerned about 'other income' than you are about the the huge surge in the need for food banks as reported in the article says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The fact you're more concerned about 'other income' than you are about the the huge surge in the need for food banks as reported in the article says a lot.

i'm just surprised someone hasn't said they could afford food if they got rid of their Sky...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement