Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So further update.

IMPACT having nothing to with Right2Water Ireland, only Right2Water ECI
    SIPTU advising people to protest due to failed talks with Irish Water over bonus payments.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/irish-water-management-and-siptu-to-have-further-talks-on-bonus-payments-1.2007657

Although internally, seems there is some division within SIPTU itself.

Right2Water ECI have come back to me and said they have zero to do with Right2Water (Ireland), they just took the name without any consultation. They are looking further into the matter as they have some problems with this.

Right2Water is run by Mandate Trade Union (Not Advertised)

Supporters:
    • Unite the Union (Republic of Ireland)
    • The CPSU,
    • Opatsi,
    • CWU Ireland,
    • Sinn Féin Ireland,
    • People Before Profit,
    • Anti Austerity Alliance,
    • The Workers' Party of Ireland,
    • Clare Daly,
    • Spectacle Defiance,
    • Communist Party of Ireland,
    • the Workers and Unemployed Action Group,
    • Seamus Healy TD,
    • We're Not Leaving

Looks to me like the Organisers and supported have some vested interests beyond Water Charges.

Right2Water Ireland have not answered any communication thus far.

Should be interesting on Wednesday I'd say.

Who cares about the Trendy Leftie Loonies and Commies...I'm far more energized by the Spex :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Yourself, Maryanne, little CuChulainn, barely there, DX etc should come along to be 'reprogrammed' tbh.

Oh, and bring madcon with ye too. :D

And why not do a head count so you can be happy about the attendance numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Folks.

The assembly point on wednesday is on Merrion Square outside Government buildings.

Not at the Kildare St entrance to the Dail.

"According to organisers, marches organised by local grassroots campaign groups may begin from as many as 10 locations north and south of the Liffey. The largest numbers are expected to take part in marches from Heuston Station, Harold’s Cross and the Garden of Remembrance between 11am and 12pm. The rally in Merrion Square will take place from 1pm to 4pm."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Green Fish

I was fascinated with how quick Enda and the government PR machine got moving when the homeless man died near the Dáil. They simply couldn't afford to add fuel to the fire. They insisted it wasn't a publicity stunt.

Mr Kenny was left “saddened” after joining Lord Mayor Christy Burke in feeding and listening to the city’s homeless until around 2.30am. Mr Burke insisted the visit wasn’t a “political stunt” by Mr Kenny in the wake of the death of Jonathan Corrie (43), having arranged the visit a month ago. He said: “The Taoiseach was with us for three hours. He had his woolly hat on and his jacket on, and his scarf, and he walked around and he fed people, and he listened to people. “We stopped the Taoiseach from walking on syringes in the Harcourt Street area, and he was taken aback by that, to see syringes, sleeping bags, bottles.

Enda Kenny is in the Dáil in Dublin for 39 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Green Fish wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is in the Dáil in Dublin for 39 years!!

The benefit of such tremendous experience is there for all to see. Some have the brains, or the drive, or the charisma, or the leadership instinct. But few have them all. Add long experience and it is in no small measure is the one of the reasons for his high performance and success since becoming Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a job interview in D2 tomorrow.

Fuxking water protesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

893bet wrote: »
    I have a job interview in D2 tomorrow.

Fuxking water protesters.

If you cant tell the day of the week , I fear for your chances of getting that job.
    Best of luck with it anyway!

The benefit of such tremendous experience is there for all to see. Some have the brains, or the drive, or the charisma, or the leadership instinct. But few have them all. Add long experience and it is in no small measure is the one of the reasons for his high performance and success since becoming Taoiseach.

Jesus H Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Satriale wrote: »
    If you cant tell the day of the week , I fear for your chances of getting that job.
    Best of luck with it anyway!

Indeed. I dont want the job really to be fair so should all work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

gladrags wrote: »
    Folks.

The assembly point on wednesday is on Merrion Square outside Government buildings.

Not at the Kildare St entrance to the Dail.

"According to organisers, marches organised by local grassroots campaign groups may begin from as many as 10 locations north and south of the Liffey. The largest numbers are expected to take part in marches from Heuston Station, Harold’s Cross and the Garden of Remembrance between 11am and 12pm. The rally in Merrion Square will take place from 1pm to 4pm."

Have you ever heard culchies make noise? :D
    And we will make noise :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

You're hanging on for dear life. Make the most of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Good luck and good riddance because come Wednesday evening the message will have been delivered to one of the most unpatriotic governments if not the worst we've ever had. A general election will be called by next week.

And with this a mighty trail of destruction they have left behind. Its going to take a huge effort from all to fix our broken society. We have turned into one if the poorest countries in the EU with 1/3 of people living on the poverty line.

This Government promised to fight for the Irish people but when they got into power they simply turned their backs on them. Inexcusable and unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dennis ' minions indulging in some last minute scaremongering I see...
    Gardai have advised the Leinster House authorities that in the event the rally is hi-jacked by troublemakers, it would not be safe for Government deputies to take their cars home.

Extra troops are also being drafted in as back-up to the Military Police detachment, who are deployed on permanent security duties within the Government Buildings on Merrion Street.

A large security operation involving up to 700 gardai has been planned in preparation for a "worst-case scenario".

Gardai working on early shifts are being ordered to remain at work after their tour ends, while later shifts are being brought in earlier than normal to boost numbers.

Public order units and Traffic Corps personnel from across the Dublin Metropolitan Region are also being mobilised in case they are needed in the event of violence.

The security operation will be co-ordinated from a control room in the Garda HQ building on Harcourt Square, using live camera feeds on the ground and in the air.

Security sources have revealed that Garda planners are estimating that between 30,000 and 50,000 people will attend the anti-water charges protest.

But last night senior officers said that they were not expecting trouble like that experienced by Tanaiste Joan Burton recently in Tallaght.

"We are not expecting there to be trouble and we believe that this will be a peaceful rally, but a major operation is being put in place in the event of a worst-case scenario," a senior security source told the Irish Independent last night.

"There was no trouble at the huge protest when 100,000 people took part on October 11, in Dublin, and there was no trouble either at any of the protests around the country," the source added.

However, gardai were seriously concerned at the growing number of attempts by left-wing and Republican groups to spark violent confrontations with gardai.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

Glossy, sensationalist first couple of paragraphs, doomsday/Armageddon "just in case" scenarios, then going on to say senior Gardai aren't actually expecting any trouble, mentioning how the 100k March wasn't violent , but finishes by mentioning dissident / hardcore groups possibly infiltration.

Away and boil your dung Indo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Dennis ' minions indulging in some last minute scaremongering I see...

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

Glossy, sensationalist first couple of paragraphs, doomsday/Armageddon "just in case" scenarios, then going on to say senior Gardai aren't actually expecting any trouble, mentioning how the 100k March wasn't violent , but finishes by mentioning dissident / hardcore groups possibly infiltration.

Away and boil your dung Indo :rolleyes:

Must be all that dissident air letting out of tyres activity that has them quaking in fear
    :rolleyes:

Shin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Right off to work,Getting excited now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Big storms due tomorrow. Nothing better than a stormy day to get the point across.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-will-bring-70ft-waves-and-icy-weather-to-coasts-30812179.html

Pathetic fallacy for a pathetic government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

And with this a mighty trail of destruction they have left behind. Its going to take a huge effort from all to fix our broken society. We have turned into one if the poorest countries in the EU with 1/3 of people living on the poverty line.

That gave me a good laugh this morning.

Poorest ?

1.5 million people living on the Poverty line ?

Me hole, back it up with some non Wikipedia statistics and I'll believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Big storms due tomorrow. Nothing better than a stormy day to get the point across.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-will-bring-70ft-waves-and-icy-weather-to-coasts-30812179.html

Pathetic fallacy for a pathetic government.

Good news for anyone heading to Dublin though.
    Those temperatures are likely to be reflected across Leinster. Strong winds will also be felt with orange warnings expected - though not forecast to be as strong as those battering the west of the country.

Rain is also on the way, though Dublin will avoid the worst
    as heavy showers move up from the Atlantic and may fall as snow in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

So.....say the demonstrations are huge tomorrow. 100,000 congregate in Dublin and have a right ol' knees up.

Looking past any wishful thinking, what do people genuinely and realistically expect to happen on Thursday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Momentum seems lost. And with the bad weather forecast. I'm predicting about 20,000.

I hope it does well attendance wise. But i know of 3 buses that have been knocked on the head. Each had been full with about 30 seats.

• Advertisement

Momentum seems lost. And with the bad weather forecast. I'm predicting about 20,000.

I hope it does well attendance wise. But i know of 3 buses that have been knocked on the head. Each had been full with about 30 seats.

So based on 3 buses that have been knocked on the head your drawing the conclusion that momentums been lost, bit of a stretch no, in Waterford there is at least 4 busloads going all full so I call shenanigans on your post tbh, and just because the buses arent going doesn't mean the people on them wont go

Shin

So.....say the demonstrations are huge tomorrow. 100,000 congregate in Dublin and have a right ol' knees up.

Looking past any wishful thinking, what do people genuinely and realistically expect to happen on Thursday morning?

Im not exactly sure what your meaning is by wishful thinking, if your saying that the ultimate goal of the abolishment of water charges is wishful thinking you couldn't be more wrong.

A big enough crowd tomorrow surrounding the Dail will send the ****s up the government, its one thing watching O Connell street been shutdown and your nowhere near it, its quite another to have it land on your doorstep and your on the inside looking out.

I expect the usual cack handed media mis-reporting the numbers in a vain effort to deflate the numbers for a few days and then rumblings in the government about further changes to the water charging regime to save face and then the eventual announcement of full suspension of the charges and if that doesn't happen the marches and protesting and non payment of bills come April will continue because as much as everyone thinks its going to go away it isn't.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Thursday morning.....Sit back with a cup of coffee and watch as Enda and Co scramble the PR machine and try to put some spin on Wednesday events ,

Over the next few weeks...... effects / outcomes ,More climb downs from the government oh I'm sure they'll be call something else but they'll fool no one.
    And before to say "realistic" surely the history of events and the governments actions after last protests prove that this is a very realistic expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Momentum seems to be rising from my experience. It's gonna be huge.
    500 ex army marching from the GPO says a lot.

That gave me a good laugh this morning.

Poorest ?

1.5 million people living on the Poverty line ?

Me hole, back it up with some non Wikipedia statistics and I'll believe you.

He may have meant at risk of poverty.

If you can stifle the laughs for a moment, there are 750,000 people living in poverty in Ireland including 220,000 children. CSO figures, quick Google will find them for you if you really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

For such a diverse protest with a wide ranging unclear agenda I would expect there to be some problems.

And of course if you stick enough of the lowest common denominator in one place you will have problems.

E.G.
    The so called peaceful anti 'love ulster' protest in 2006
    The so called peaceful student protests in 2010

Measures seem to have been put in place to deal with security anyway
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

It's to be expected really when you setup a campaign that will allow anyone to join their protest just for numbers.

On the flip side, people are protesting against costs and now they create a situation where business owners in Dublin City will be disrupted, Gardai will be getting paid a wagon load of overtime and people not involved in the protest will more than likely avoid the City Center altogether.

Hope it's all turns out fine, but IMO its turning into a mob now, with everyone fueling each others anger with very little objectivity anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Rte forecast and Met Eireann.

Tomorrow's weather will be stormy,but mainly dry,and sunny in places.

Leinster weather...

Quote.
    "Tomorrow will be a very windy day with strong to gale force Westerly winds and the risk of some damaging gusts. There will be good sunny spells but passing heavy showers of rain or hail also. Afternoon temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees and feeling cold in the wind."

General weather.Ireland...

Quote...
    "Tomorrow will be very windy with strong to gale force Westerly winds, and the risk of stormy conditions in parts of the North and Northwest. It will feel bitterly cold with sunshine and squally showers, wintry in Northern parts with some snow on hills."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

For such a diverse protest with a wide ranging unclear agenda I would expect there to be some problems.

And of course if you stick enough of the lowest common denominator in one place you will have problems.

E.G.
    The so called peaceful anti 'love ulster' protest in 2006
    The so called peaceful student protests in 2010

Measures seem to have been put in place to deal with security anyway
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

It's to be expected really when you setup a campaign that will allow anyone to join their protest just for numbers.

On the flip side, people are protesting against costs and now they create a situation where business owners in Dublin City will be disrupted, Gardai will be getting paid a wagon load of overtime and people not involved in the protest will more than likely avoid the City Center altogether.

Hope it's all turns out fine, but IMO its turning into a mob now, with everyone fueling each others anger with very little objectivity anymore.

If that is the case why wasn't there any trouble at the last march when 100k came out? Or when a similar number took the streets all over the country, no trouble then either?

The only people who want trouble at this protest are the people who won't be attending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Anyone know what was been said on Vincent last night ,Something to do with the fact that The Irish Government have applied for some sort of special EU funding for Irish Water ....
    Didn't catch any details .Anyone know the full story ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

shinzon wrote: »
    Im not exactly sure what your meaning is by wishful thinking, if your saying that the ultimate goal of the abolishment of water charges is wishful thinking you couldn't be more wrong.

A big enough crowd tomorrow surrounding the Dail will send the ****s up the government, its one thing watching O Connell street been shutdown and your nowhere near it, its quite another to have it land on your doorstep and your on the inside looking out.

I expect the usual cack handed media mis-reporting the numbers in a vain effort to deflate the numbers for a few days and then rumblings in the government about further changes to the water charging regime to save face and then the eventual announcement of full suspension of the charges and if that doesn't happen the marches and protesting and non payment of bills come April will continue because as much as everyone thinks its going to go away it isn't.

Shin

And landing it back on the PAYE worker rather than the user. Cheers for that.

By 'wishful thinking' I am addressing the significant number of posters on here who think that the governemnt is going to 'fall' in coming weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement