Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Satriale wrote: »
    He may have meant at risk of poverty.

If you can stifle the laughs for a moment, there are 750,000 people living in poverty in Ireland including 220,000 children. CSO figures, quick Google will find them for you if you really care.

Sure .. and its only slightly above the EU28 Average.

Going by the indicators of poverty in Ireland, I am in 'poverty'

http://www.eapn.ie/eapn/training/consistent-poverty-rates
    The 11 deprivation indicators are:
    • Two pairs of strong shoes
    • A warm waterproof overcoat
    • Buy new not second hand clothes
    • Eat meat, chicken, fish or a vegetarian equivalent every second day
    • Have a roast joint or its equivalent once a week
    • Had to go without heating during the last year through lack of money
    • Keep the home adequately warm
    • Buy presents for family or friends at least once a year
    • Replace any worn out furniture
    • Have family or friends for a drink or meal once a month
    • Have a morning, afternoon or evening out in the last fortnight for entertainment.

Go to some rougher parts of France and then come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know what was been said on Vincent last night ,Something to do with the fact that The Irish Government have applied for some sort of special EU funding for Irish Water ....
    Didn't catch any details .Anyone know the full story ?

Didn't see it myself but I found this article

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coalition-wants-eu-funds-for-irish-water-and-metro-north-1.2030568

The amount of money they are pumping into IW is gone beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

For such a diverse protest with a wide ranging unclear agenda I would expect there to be some problems.

And of course if you stick enough of the lowest common denominator in one place you will have problems.

E.G.
    The so called peaceful anti 'love ulster' protest in 2006
    The so called peaceful student protests in 2010

Measures seem to have been put in place to deal with security anyway
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

It's to be expected really when you setup a campaign that will allow anyone to join their protest just for numbers.

On the flip side, people are protesting against costs and now they create a situation where business owners in Dublin City will be disrupted, Gardai will be getting paid a wagon load of overtime and people not involved in the protest will more than likely avoid the City Center altogether.

Hope it's all turns out fine, but IMO its turning into a mob now, with everyone fueling each others anger with very little objectivity anymore.

Do you mean the May Day riots.When the Gardai ran riot.?

"May Day riot costs State €1m in fees and claims.

€288,700 in compensation paid out to people injured by gardai.

03 December 2012 05:48 PM

A total of €288,700 has been paid out in compensation to people injured by gardai during the disturbances that arose from the 2002 'Reclaim the Streets' protest in Dublin on May Day, 2002, it has emerged.

The addition of legal fees to this amount is understood to have brought the total payment by the State to around €1m.

Only one case was contested, by a 39-year-old Dublin woman. Her case went to hearing in 2004 and after 10 days it was settled in her favour after a witness brought forward by gardai to suggest the plaintiff had acted violently towards him was shown to have a lengthy record of assault, intimidation and other offences.

The last case for compensation, from a school teacher who was hit on the face by a baton causing a large gash above and below his mouth, was settled earlier this year for an undisclosed sum.

Despite the amount of personal injury compensation paid out by the State, it is understood no internal disciplinary action against gardai has taken place. During the disturbances, much of which was filmed by protesters and posted on the internet, several gardai wielding batons were shown to have removed their identity number
    "
    Sindo

If that is the case why wasn't there any trouble at the last march when 100k came out? Or when a similar number took the streets all over the country, no trouble then either?

The only people who want trouble at this protest are the people who won't be attending it.

Wasn't that Gay Pride ?

Wasn't that Gay Pride ?

Solid comeback. Guess that means there wasn't any trouble at the last march and won't be tomorrow so yeah?

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »
    Do you mean the May Day riots.When the Gardai ran riot.?

"May Day riot costs State Irish People €1m in fees and claims.

Fixed that for you

Solid comeback. Guess that means there wasn't any trouble at the last march and won't be tomorrow so yeah?

Did you not read the article?
    However, gardai were seriously concerned at the growing number of attempts by left-wing and Republican groups to spark violent confrontations with gardai.

I heard ISIS were sending a bus over as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Didn't see it myself but I found this article

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coalition-wants-eu-funds-for-irish-water-and-metro-north-1.2030568

The amount of money they are pumping into IW is gone beyond a joke.

that could be it ,
    Makes you wonder If this was always part of the plan or was it a course of action forced on them by their climb downs ??

Are they gay now too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

For such a diverse protest with a wide ranging unclear agenda I would expect there to be some problems.

And of course if you stick enough of the lowest common denominator in one place you will have problems.

E.G.
    The so called peaceful anti 'love ulster' protest in 2006
    The so called peaceful student protests in 2010

Measures seem to have been put in place to deal with security anyway
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

It's to be expected really when you setup a campaign that will allow anyone to join their protest just for numbers.

On the flip side, people are protesting against costs and now they create a situation where business owners in Dublin City will be disrupted, Gardai will be getting paid a wagon load of overtime and people not involved in the protest will more than likely avoid the City Center altogether.

Hope it's all turns out fine, but IMO its turning into a mob now, with everyone fueling each others anger with very little objectivity anymore.

Did you mean the cost to the State of the cover up that followed.?

"GARDAI are to go to court to halt further inquiries by the Complaints Board into the controversial May Day clashes.

The rank-and-file Garda Representative Association will ask the High Court this week for a judicial review of the decision by the board to hold its own criminal probe.

The court challenge could delay the outcome of the Garda Complaints Board's inquiries by up to two years.

The association will make their challenge on two grounds:

The board did not have the power to make recommendations to the DPP to prosecute gardai arising out of its own criminal investigation.
    Prospects of a fair trial for the seven gardai facing assault charges were destroyed by comments by the board chairman and solicitor Gordon Holmes.
    The association will argue that recommendations for prosecution can arise only from a garda report to the DPP and not from a complaints board report.

Last week the Irish Independent disclosed that 10 gardai are to be asked again by the board to co-operate with its investigation into the street violence. If they refuse again to help the inquiry, they could face disciplinary action, including dismissal from the force.

Since the board's inquiry is now concerned with disciplinary rather than criminal allegations, it is expected the gardai will co-operate.

One source said last night: "We are waiting at the moment to see what questions are posed by the board and if the gardai know the answers they will give them."

But in the meantime the association will take their fight to the courts against what officers believe was unfair treatment of the gardai involved in May Day duties."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Are they gay now too ?

Yep............... one of Enda's crocodile tears for the homeless fell on the bus and it magically turned pink and sprouted fluffy wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Sure .. and its only slightly above the EU28 Average.
    Thats ok then, the rest of the EU has poor people too. :rolleyes:
    Going by the indicators of poverty in Ireland, I am in 'poverty'

http://www.eapn.ie/eapn/training/consistent-poverty-rates
    i thought you were living in a country with outstanding services,
    but if you are living in Ireland, my sympathies, its not a nice place to be poor.

Go to some rougher parts of France and then come back to me.
    Racing to the bottom again.
    I've lived and worked in many parts of Europe thanks, including France and The Netherlands, i dont need you pointing out their inequities to me.

Anyway, ill let you get back to your scoffing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is someone, not even in this country for 50% of the year, Seriously comparing the love feckin Ulster March to the water protest one?

Personally, I'll be having a coffee and a bite to eat, morning time, beers and a dinner evening time, so there's 50/100€ contributed to local businesses they'd not have gotten otherwise.

Unless all the protesters are bring pack lunches, and plastic bottles of cordial with them, I suspect I'll not be the only one.
    As for the Gardai and their overtime........ That'll do the Revenue coffers wonders, and the after tax cash will be spent where exactly.............????

Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

And landing it back on the PAYE worker rather than the user.

So sick of hearing this PAYE worker crap, where do you think your wages are gonna go come bill time, the way of every other utility you have to pay for, money out of your pocket irregardless of whether it tax or not your still paying money

And if your talking about Endas 4% increase that already been exposed as lies so don't worry your precious PAYE tax wont be effected to much

Shin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Wasn't that Gay Pride ?

seriously where the hell did you get that out of?
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    that could be it ,
    Makes you wonder If this was always part of the plan or was it a course of action forced on them by their climb downs ??

if you have to ask was it part of the plan all along then you need to go splash some cold water on your face and have a very strong coffee or 2 ;) these parasites rarely lose so they've got the game rigged to win no matter which way the wind blows, until the people wake up that is!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

shinzon wrote: »
    So sick of hearing this PAYE worker crap, where do you think your wages are gonna go come bill time, the way of every other utility you have to pay for, money out of your pocket irregardless of whether it tax or not your still paying money

And if your talking about Endas 4% increase that already been exposed as lies so don't worry your precious PAYE tax wont be effected to much

Shin

Except that the user should pay. Every single user. Irrespective of employment status. Unless they can demonstrate hardship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Here's an interesting exchange of words in the Dail a week ago about the status of the "exemption"

Four questions were asked about the Irish exemption:

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-12-02a.1152

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Article is saying 700 Garda ,
    Anyone know how many would normally be used at the All Ireland Finals or a major concert .

also if you put in the two paragraphs just before your post..

We are not expecting there to be trouble and we believe that this will be a peaceful rally, but a major operation is being put in place in the event of a worst-case scenario," a senior security source told the Irish Independent last night.

"There was no trouble at the huge protest when 100,000 people took part on October 11, in Dublin, and there was no trouble either at any of the protests around the country," the source added

"However, gardai were seriously concerned at the growing number of attempts by left-wing and Republican groups to spark violent confrontations with gardai. "

It reads a bit different .
    But that might not suit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Is someone, not even in this country for 50% of the year, Seriously comparing the love feckin Ulster March to the water protest one?

Personally, I'll be having a coffee and a bite to eat, morning time, beers and a dinner evening time, so there's 50/100€ contributed to local businesses they'd not have gotten otherwise.

Unless all the protesters are bring pack lunches, and plastic bottles of cordial with them, I suspect I'll not be the only one.
    As for the Gardai and their overtime........ That'll do the Revenue coffers wonders, and the after tax cash will be spent where exactly.............????

Facepalm.

Sure the money you'll spend for the day out would pay your Irish water bill for a year! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Except that the user should pay. Every single user. Irrespective of employment status. Unless they can demonstrate hardship.

And that's not going to happen so id just get used to it at this stage, nothings going to get ramped up on you, itll be exactly the same as before.

Shin

omega666 wrote: »
    Sure the money you'll spend for the day out would pay your Irish water bill for a year! :pac:

I don't doubt that for a minute, but you see the thing is, I'll not be presented with a bill when I enter the coffee shop, and given the same bill to pay again when I'm leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't doubt that for a minute, but you see the thing is, I'll not be presented with a bill when I enter the coffee shop, and given the same bill to pay again when I'm leaving.

And a bill later when you piss the coffee out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Feel for the Gardai tomorrow, really in a no-win situation.

naughtb4 wrote: »

How'd you figure that? I'm sure when everything goes ahead without any problems they will applauded for their work.

The only people in a no win situation tomorrow will be sitting in the Dail.

Why?

The gards will be having the craic tomorrow, there will be no animosity shown towards the gards (going by previous protests in the city)

I'm sure many Gardai are opposed to water charges also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

they can always grow a pair, start thinking for themselves, take off their hats and join us in the totally peaceful reclamation of our Country from the hands of the corrupt and inept in government!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why?

The gards will be having the craic tomorrow, there will be no animosity shown towards the gards (going by previous protests in the city)

I'm sure many Gardai are opposed to water charges also.

Really, we will see, I think they will get a fair load of abuse (all large gatherings attract people just looking to cause trouble).

At least one guard will be accused of doing something untoward by tomorrow evening based on one sided evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Lol yeah because it's going to be a full scale riot. They'll have their work cut out what with all those water balloon throwing ISIS terrorists.

• Advertisement

Really, we will see, I think they will get a fair load of abuse (all large gatherings attract people just looking to cause trouble).

At least one guard will be accused of doing something untoward by tomorrow evening based on one sided evidence.

Bit ironic ending that post with "based on one sided evidence"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement