Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Is anyone going to this thing tomorrow, it all seems very quiet. Do ye reckon the govt will do a u turn and do away with water charges. Just looking at the rest of the countries in the EU and OECD that all have water charges, we seem to be paying some of the lowest charges. Doesn't seem to make sense protesting now at this stage as what has been put forward looks very reasonable in comparsion to other countries and the investment the water system badly needs.

The charges may look reasonable now but is that really what the government want ? Prior to the big protest in October IW's table of charges show 1,039.44 for 4 adults plus 4 children - 732.00 for 1 adult and 4 children - just two examples.

Things changed after the October and November protests, but only due to the ongoing protests has the government changed its tune. It is clear from the above greedy aspirational figures that the metering has nothing to do with conservation but just another revenue raising measure.

Things have changed a lot in this country and I wonder what the true economic picture really is when I now hear ads on the radio for money lending or when, as happened in the summer, in public, I unwittingly heard the sobbing of a stressed young woman engaged in a conversation on her mobile with someone hounding her for money.

And that's why I'll be marching - it's time to call a halt - and stand in solidarity with those who can't afford to pay any more taxes. So bye bye water charges afaic. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Yes! Shame on RTÉ for engaging in investigative journalism! Where's that ever got us before!

They're nothing but a bunch of Denis O'Bri... oh hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

donvito99 wrote: »
    Yes! Shame on RTÉ for engaging in investigative journalism! Where's that ever got us before!

They're nothing but a bunch of Denis O'Bri... oh hold up

Actually plenty of bad places.how many times has primetime had to apologise for false accusations.

Your post is full of lulz

listermint wrote: »
    Actually plenty of bad places.how many times has primetime had to apologise for false accusations.

Your post is full of lulz

And plenty of good ones, tonight's Primetime for instance. Would the HSE, the Guards have brought that situation to light?

Protesters are fine with filming (and craftily editing) people. People have complained on here about the LACK OF COVERAGE, and now as soon as there's some evidence of coverage (and I'd dispute that it is secret, and for that matter you don't need to announce to anyone who you are what you are filming in a public place) it's biased.

The usual hysterics by some on here, reactions usually reserved for crackpots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

yipeeeee wrote: »
    And another thing.

The rise in tax on petrol and diesel over the next few months will cost on average 300 a year extra for each driver.

See I dont always agree with this govt!!

If these gobshites get their way, just wait til you see the rise in the cost of your water bill.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Because people tend to act differently when they know they're being filmed?

Yeah I agree, but I'd almost bet my house they haven't been filming (secretly) GMC Sierra.

I bet RTÉ have no 'sinister' footage, nor do the Gardai, who have been filming events for a long time.

Obviously, the fact they tried to infiltrate them the day before a large protest, was entirely coincidental, and obviously not politically motivated at all.

The squirming of that journalist said it all tbh, he was ashamed of himself.

Yeah I agree, but I'd almost bet my house they haven't been filming (secretly) GMC Sierra.

Haven't the campaigners been doing that quite brilliantly in terms of fúcking cameras in workers faces to no end?
    obviously not politically motivated at all.

This is a breathtaking claim.

Again, secret? Hardly, we have to go on the word of protesters and footage that begins during the confrontation. And squirming because he's ashamed? More likely that he was doing his job - allegedly for RTÉ - and now knew he'd be plastered over social media and message boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Or perhaps he just felt intimidated being surrounded by a group of people, some of whom were shouting abuse?
    Yeah I agree, but I'd almost bet my house they haven't been filming (secretly) GMC Sierra. I bet RTÉ have no 'sinister' footage, nor do the Gardai, who have been filming events for a long time.

The Gardai obviously have filmed "sinister" footage of the group, I believe it was played in court when they recieved the injunction that prevented them from intimidating, harrassing and threatening GMC/S subbies.
    Obviously, the fact they tried to infiltrate them the day before a large protest, was entirely coincidental, and obviously not politically motivated at all.

Well this is just a whole heap of assumptions on your part. Firstly that they've only started secretly filming them today, and secondly; that it's politically motivated, which frankly belongs in the conspiracy forum.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Haven't the campaigners been doing that quite brilliantly in terms of fúcking cameras in workers faces to no end?

What has that got to do with RTÉ? If they're to impartiality report on an issue, they should be covering every angle.

Not just one side, otherwise it's not impartial.

This is a breathtaking claim.

You're breathtakingly easily shocked.

Again, secret? Hardly, we have to go on the word of protesters and footage that begins during the confrontation.

You don't think he was trying to film them covertly? Perhaps the camera concealed in a bag was for a dramatic lighting effect?
    And squirming because he's ashamed?

Squirming and ashamed he was rumbled.
    More likely that he was doing his job - allegedly for RTÉ - and now knew he'd be plasted over social media and message boards.

Allegedly? He admits it in the video for Christ's sake.

And if he was infiltrating a water meter protest, which constantly get uploaded to YouTube and the likes, I think it's highly likely he'd have got his social media limelight regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

snip

He admits he was working for RTE PrimeTime ,
    He admits he was filming installation of water meters,
    now he's filming the protesters , wheres the problem?

He's got plenty of footage of this mucky handed bint and Derek calling him all sorts.

• Advertisement

Is anyone going to this thing tomorrow, it all seems very quiet. Do ye reckon the govt will do a u turn and do away with water charges. Just looking at the rest of the countries in the EU and OECD that all have water charges, we seem to be paying some of the lowest charges. Doesn't seem to make sense protesting now at this stage as what has been put forward looks very reasonable in comparsion to other countries and the investment the water system badly needs.

when something looks too good to be true thats because it usually is....

oh the shortsightedness of people :confused: Oldest trick in the book - the carrot. Get them in and then see what happens in a few years or less when the cap is lifted. How can you think this is anything but a ruse created as the Govt did back turns, U turns, somersaults to make this look attractive after all the revelations.

dont cry about it in years to come when a budget announces the cap is lifted and the 100 euro allowance (carrot) has been abolished leaving us facing soaring bills for water.

see u all tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Many taking the day off work to protest tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

yes..from what I've been reading. A lot in Dublin are heading down after finishing work. This could go on all night. I've heard 4 buses are coming over from London alone and there is a protest at the irish embassy at the same time..Well done to the London Irish. I can't imagine anyone of importance being in the Dail tomorrow. They will be taking the day off and still claiming expenses. Can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

bleg wrote: »
    Many taking the day off work to protest tomorrow?

Nah , hope it's a washout too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

TDs told not to bring cars to Dail on water protest day

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/tds-told-not-to-bring-cars-to-dail-on-water-protest-day-30812176.html

Garda source says TDs who have to travel by car have been advised to bring foot pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Working from home in the morning, then taking a half day and walking up to GPO to march to the dail with the army group.

I wonder what time it'll go on until. Bringing my mam to Peter Gabriel in the evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

when something looks too good to be true thats because it usually is....

oh the shortsightedness of people :confused: Oldest trick in the book - the carrot. Get them in and then see what happens in a few years or less when the cap is lifted. How can you think this is anything but a ruse created as the Govt did back turns, U turns, somersaults to make this look attractive after all the revelations.

dont cry about it in years to come when a budget announces the cap is lifted and the 100 euro allowance (carrot) has been abolished leaving us facing soaring bills for water.

see u all tomorrow :rolleyes:

Maggie is spot on. If it looks to good to be true....
    It simply cant be done for that fee. Until it exceeds €500 for an average bill it is simply too good to be true and people are kidding themselves.
    And the government, having been open and given some credit to the people told them what it would really cost. Just got slapped in the face and so had to resort to the carrot method to sucker them in. So indeed dont cry as the bills soar in the coming years, just know that you are finally facing the reality of the real cost of the services you demand from your country.

See yus all tomorrow too. :rolleyes:

mojesius wrote: »
    Working from home in the morning, then taking a half day and walking up to GPO to march to the dail with the army group.

I wonder what time it'll go on until. Bringing my mam to Peter Gabriel in the evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

papu wrote: »
    He admits he was working for RTE PrimeTime ,
    He admits he was filming installation of water meters,
    now he's filming the protesters , wheres the problem?

He's got plenty of footage of this mucky handed bint and Derek calling him all sorts.

Those swine over at RTE Prime Time have been caught again secretly filming in a care home in Mayo. :mad:

Phoebas wrote: »
    Those swine over at RTE Prime Time have been caught again secretly filming in a care home in Mayo. :mad:

Ah now, don't interrupt an excuse to baselessly have a go at da d'meeja establishment.

• Advertisement

Yet they were suspiciously silent the night the troika arrived....

RTE, state media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Russell Brand is speaking about Irish Water again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4Nyj2uZR0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Slightly O/T, but as you brought it up...

Another example of the unaccountable incompetent muppets that run this country - yer man from the HSE that was on spouting the usual management nonsense about "training", "independent review" and "due process"

If I assaulted someone in the office I'd be fired there and then and charges would likely follow - I certainly wouldn't be sent home on full pay to "chillax" (to quote one of these "carers" shown tonight) while my bosses boss goes on national TV and waffles complete shyte!

But to bring this back on course... IW has shown already that it's another HSE in the making - full of the same wasters, arrogance, incompetence and unaccountability - and just as every staff member on that Prime Time programme tonight should be fired, so too should all involved with the setup of this latest quango.

I hope the women in that programme and their families get justice but as I said at the start, unless we the electorate DEMAND real change and reform from our "leaders" I won't be holding my breath. It starts with getting out tomorrow and making your voice heard (although a more cynical part of me wonders about the timing of this latest outrage on the eve before the IW protests...)

Russell Brand is speaking about Irish Water again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4Nyj2uZR0

Brendan Ogle. This is the same guy that's crippled the country vis-a-vis Irish Rail and the ESB. So it's no wonder he's caught up in the IW crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I hear he's turning up at the protest tomorrow.
    Russell and Sinead on the same stage - I might pop across and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who's bringing the rocks to throw at the flith??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Slightly O/T, but as you brought it up...

Another example of the unaccountable incompetent muppets that run this country - yer man from the HSE that was on spouting the usual management nonsense about "training", "independent review" and "due process"

If I assaulted someone in the office I'd be fired there and then and charges would likely follow - I certainly wouldn't be sent home on full pay to "chillax" (to quote one of these "carers" shown tonight) while my bosses boss goes on national TV and waffles complete shyte!

But to bring this back on course... IW has shown already that it's another HSE in the making - full of the same wasters, arrogance, incompetence and unaccountability - and just as every staff member on that Prime Time programme tonight should be fired, so too should all involved with the setup of this latest quango.

I hope the women in that programme and their families get justice but as I said at the start, unless we the electorate DEMAND real change and reform from our "leaders" I won't be holding my breath. It starts with getting out tomorrow and making your voice heard (although a more cynical part of me wonders about the timing of this latest outrage on the eve before the IW protests...)

Agree 100%. Put an end to civil war political parties and rebuild. As we know FG/FF dont do accountability and transparency and are unlikely to change their spots in the future. I think this outrage will anger people even more. The HSE rot lands right at the Governments feet. Thats were it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Agree 100%. Put an end to civil war political parties and rebuild. As we know FG/FF dont do accountability and transparency and are unlikely to change their spots in the future. I think this outrage will anger people even more. The HSE rot lands right at the Governments feet. Thats were it starts.

Strange the way you left SF out of this sentence, seems to be a lot of anti government posters who make statements excluding SF, but which actually would apply to them as well.

Tell me whose going to be in the next government if not FG/FF, and tell me where they are going to get the money that is needed.

There are many ticking time bombs out there that need money in order to fix them, some of which haven't even come to public attention - could be 5 years, 10 years, but the time to fix them is now. Money has to come from somewhere.

Is your view that water should be free for everyone, even the multi-millionaires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Strange the way you left SF out of this sentence, seems to be a lot of anti government posters who make statements excluding SF, but which actually would apply to them as well.

Tell me whose going to be in the next government if not FG/FF, and tell me where they are going to get the money that is needed.

There are many ticking time bombs out there that need money in order to fix them, some of which haven't even come to public attention - could be 5 years, 10 years, but the time to fix them is now. Money has to come from somewhere.

Is your view that water should be free for everyone, even the multi-millionaires?

Actually fcuk SF aswell. I have no political alliances at the moment.

And we already pay for water. Take the money from the USC if your going to take it again as that supposedly temporary tax is now here to stay. IW is nothing more than a billing system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

FYP
    fryup wrote: »
    who's bringing the brick to throw at the flith??

No room buddy, bag full enough with flask, sarnies, gloves, etc. they say it might be on the cold side

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement